Thread: Card-Check

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Card-Check

So for those of us reading behind the scenes yesterday, from a political power standpoint, one big winner last night was the AFL-CIO. They put considerable effort and money they had into an effort at getting certain key congressmen elected. Their big issue: the euphemistically named Employee Free Choice Act

For those of you unfamiliar with this piece of legislation, it alters the process by which the National Labor Relations Board recognizes an organized shop. Right now, a sufficient number of employees complete cards and submit them to the NLRB, and when a sufficient quantity have been received (~50%), they conduct a secret ballot election to determine the will of the majority of the employees.

This piece of legislation would instead convert the electoral process to a shop-wide card-check procedure, under which the organizing union is granted the right to view how people voted as well as personal details such as their home address, home phone number and social security number. In other words, vote against the union and Rocco and Johnny-No-Nose will be dispatched as deputized shop stewards to discuss the benefits of union membership at your house at 2AM.

I'd like to hear somebody try to defend this piece of legislation. Why are secret ballots okay for our elections, but unions require the need to know how people vote during organization efforts? Why do they need people's personal details?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 11-05-2008 at 19:47.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: Card-Check

Yeah, I'm mystified by this bill as well. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could support it -- especially if you're in a union.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    So for those of us reading behind the scenes yesterday, from a political power standpoint, one big winner last night was the AFL-CIO. They put considerable effort and money they had into an effort at getting certain key congressmen elected. Their big issue: the euphemistically named Employee Free Choice Act

For those of you unfamiliar with this piece of legislation, it alters the process by which the National Labor Relations Board recognizes an organized shop. Right now, a sufficient number of employees complete cards and submit them to the NLRB, and when a sufficient quantity have been received (~50%), they conduct a secret ballot election to determine the will of the majority of the employees.

This piece of legislation would instead convert the electoral process to a shop-wide card-check procedure, under which the organizing union is granted the right to view how people voted as well as personal details such as their home address, home phone number and social security number. In other words, vote against the union and Rocco and Johnny-No-Nose will be dispatched as deputized shop stewards to discuss the benefits of union membership at your house at 2AM.

I'd like to hear somebody try to defend this piece of legislation. Why are secret ballots okay for our elections, but unions require the need to know how people vote during organization efforts? Why do they need people's personal details?
    Sound like the legalization of the freaking mob.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Sound like the legalization of the freaking mob.
    Agreed.

Nuff' said.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Not to worry, since this issue is neither exciting or glamorous it will slip right under the plebeian radar as did the Community Reinvestment Act and Freddie Mac/Fanny Mae. Nobody will raise a stink about it until it's too late.

As with the Mortgage bailout bill this legislature can easily pass through Congress provided just the right amount of earmark/pork barrel projects are attached to it.

Vegas odds? Pretty good I say.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Yeah, I'm mystified by this bill as well. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could support it -- especially if you're in a union.
    Union rank-and-file have some mixed feelings on this. Yes, it provides them a powerful tool for the number one goal of any union -- ORGANIZE. However, if they ever do end up with a union election that's really close and really contentious, it would make it easier for the eventual winner to exact payback.

Union leadership, particularly at the international level, sees no down side. The goal is -- regardless of state law -- a closed shop. The ability to apply pressure makes it more likely that every worker would be a union member and that they'd all singing from the same hymn book. Strikes and threats thereof work much better as a leverage tool when the company KNOWS that 98% of their workforce will not cross a picket line. When that happens, it ripples up the ladder to the international headquarters. Greater centralization of union power under spells politicla leverage. The AFL-CIO very much wants to establish the kind of relationship towards government and employers that is enjoyed by the national labor leadership of -- for example -- Norway.

Ask HoreTore what happens when the Norwegian union leadership makes a "suggestion" to government.

The Democrat party sees little downside since Union Leadership support for the Democrat party has been staunch since FDR. They are rewarding strong political supporters in a means that ties in with their philosophy of regulated/controlled capitalism and the idea of a "living wage."

This is a means to effect a fundamental change in the nature of U.S. society, one that will more it decidedly in the direction of the Scandanavian model. We will see how directly the new administration wishes to support such an effort -- we are already aware that a goodly segment of the Democrat party sees this as the correct line of development.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 11-05-2008 at 20:59.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I'd say that adopting Scandinavian models pretty much requires a Scandinavian amount of patronage & economic prosperity. Something which the USA does not have and as for the first thing... that's a loooong way to go until you get there.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I disagree with the way that it is decided to have a Union vote (It is too restrictive from what you have said, so that the majority of Employees are required just to bring it to a vote. A better system wouldbe if a number of complaints are brought to the Union, the Union can step in.

Secret Ballots are fine with me, with the proviso that they are not held in the presence of the Employers.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

You get what you vote for. Mob rule's a bitch.
    RIP Tosa

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I disagree with the way that it is decided to have a Union vote (It is too restrictive from what you have said, so that the majority of Employees are required just to bring it to a vote. A better system wouldbe if a number of complaints are brought to the Union, the Union can step in.

Secret Ballots are fine with me, with the proviso that they are not held in the presence of the Employers.
    I don't think it's actually 50% of cards to the NRLB to get the vote, but I don't know what the threshold is. My guess is that it's probably somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of the employed workforce. I understand your point about that being a high bar to get an election in the first place, but the alternative is that a small minority can hold a company hostage by continually holding elections that they have no hope of winning.

And your point doesn't address the desire by organized labor to have access to people's voting records or their personal information.

And the employers don't hold the election or the results, the NLRB does (it's part of the Department of Labor).
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I don't think it's actually 50% of cards to the NRLB to get the vote, but I don't know what the threshold is. My guess is that it's probably somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of the employed workforce. I understand your point about that being a high bar to get an election in the first place, but the alternative is that a small minority can hold a company hostage by continually holding elections that they have no hope of winning.
    Well this situation is unlikely and does not occur here. Simply put, once public opinion starts to turn on these people they will stop. That usually doesn't take long.
    And your point doesn't address the desire by organized labor to have access to people's voting records or their personal information.

And the employers don't hold the election or the results, the NLRB does (it's part of the Department of Labor).
    I don't like the first one, and the second is fine by me.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.