Thread: How to increase authority points?

Default How to increase authority points?

I'm somewhat of a newbie in this game, but I think that the trait "Authority" determines who likely it is that you'll face rebellions and desertions by generals (at one point, my faction heir became a rebel!).

How do I increase that trait in my faction leader? It seems that it often starts out very weak. I guess I see a correlation between me being cruel and authority points increasing, but I'm not sure.

It's pretty annoying having created somewhat of an empire, and then getting a new faction leader with little aiuthority, having rebellions popping up.

Also, isn't there any way to choose my own faction heir? I like to groom whoever I want to be the new king.

Default Re: How to increase authority points?

You are correct that Authority affects loyalty; with high Authority generals pretty much never desert no matter how disloyal, but if it's below about 4 crowns putting an army in charge of a general with less than 4 loyalty or so is a definite liability, and risking leaving a captain in charge is pretty much as good as throwing your troops away.

I find two methods effective in raising authority:
    1) Making sure your king is also a great conqueror; a lot of the traits picked up by good generals boost authority, such as the "Conquering Hero" type ones. It's a good idea to get started on this with your heir before he takes the crown, he'll still get the authority-boosting traits even though he won't get any benefit from them until he becomes king.
    2) Using a lot of assassins and spies; so long as you don't mind your king being a high-Dread general this is a very effective way of boosting authority, especially if your King isn't likely to be much good as a general. Most of the "master of assassins" type traits and ancilliaries give big authority boosts, I suppose because all your generals will be too terrified to risk acts of disloyalty. This one is only good for the current king, though, you can't groom a weak faction heir to be more authoritative this way.

Unfortunately there is no way to choose the faction heir directly, which is doubly annoying since it seems to be selected more or less at random if the current king lacks sons; it quite often goes to someone completely useless in place of much better candidates. The best you can do if you get someone truly hopeless is to deliberately get them killed in battle and hope the replacement isn't even worse; if he's just a mediocre though it's definitely good to groom him to rule by sending him on a conquering spree (faction heirs make ideal Crusade leaders); I very much take the sink or swim approach, either the heir will become a great general and prove himself worthy to rule or he will die trying.
    Last edited by PBI; 12-05-2008 at 13:27.

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

Yeah I agree with PBI, using Assassins and Spies makes you authority skyrocket, i have a large number of spies and assassins to take out enemy diplomats and princesses or whoever is trying to bribe my generals. My Kings always seem to have a decent authority when you get traits like master assassin etc.
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

On determining the Faction Heir:

If the current Faction Heir has sons of age when the current king dies, it will go to the oldest living of them.

The task is then to trim and train this tree more than others, and make sure you marry your FHs to quality brides ASAP.

Edit: Also, a fairly easy trait to get to improve authority is the Battle Scars line.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 12-08-2008 at 07:19.

My kingdom for a .

To boost authority points for your faction leader and reduce the risk of rebellions and desertions, focus on cultivating a reputation for cruelty, as there appears to be a correlation between cruelty and authority points increase. Unfortunately, there isn't a direct method to choose your faction heir; however, by maintaining a strong grip on authority, you can better navigate leadership transitions and prevent disruptions in your growing empire.