Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $20 for Special Forces? No way.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: $20 for Special Forces? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    Cha, ya-know this just “doesn’t” make any sense

It’s not Total War standard operating procedure.

Judging by the economic disaster that the whole world is in, with people loosing their jobs as a short term means to keep companies afloat (this has just happened where I work). This may be an effort to help the developers weather the storm ahead (past the third quarter). Sales are down everywhere, and plans made on survivable bottom lines may not be sufficient now.

They probably can’t realistically ask for an increase in price at this point, so came up with an emergency advanced partial expansion release. Now this “does” make sense to me.

Thinking that I may just buy it anyway, even though I am not interested in it at all (strict multiplayer), as a show of support for the folks who have brought us years of fun.

It’s not that much, but could mean a lot to them if we just went along for the ride.
    You might be right. But if this is a last ditch effort to secure extra funds CA have shot themselves in the foot. If Special Forces features just a little bit more content and a little bit more effort then the community would be pleased and it would probably sell much better.

As it is I know I don't have the funds to justify buying Special Forces, it just isn't good enough value for money.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    The Dahomey Amazaons are extra insulting. I might use them in game if I was paid $20 to do so...
    I think those other three units come free with the game when you order it from that particular site. IE: You buy it from Amazon, you get the Amazons. A little joke on their part
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    As it is I know I don't have the funds to justify buying Special Forces, it just isn't good enough value for money.
    I don't have the extra money either, and don't think the value is there. But have done it anyway, as a show of general support.

Just the way I read the field
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    I don't have the extra money either, and don't think the value is there. But have done it anyway, as a show of general support.

Just the way I read the field
    Fair enough. You're obviously a more generous man than I. I want to support CA, but poor students such as myself have to prioritise other things (such as actually having enough money for food, etc.)

I wish there was another, cheaper way to show support for CA, but I can't think of anything. I might end up getting Special Forces anyway (against my better judgement.)

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Fair enough. You're obviously a more generous man than I. I want to support CA, but poor students such as myself have to prioritise other things (such as actually having enough money for food, etc.)

I wish there was another, cheaper way to show support for CA, but I can't think of anything. I might end up getting Special Forces anyway (against my better judgement.)
    Fair enough

If you can't, you can't.

But I hope those who can, will consider that there may be more than meets the eye in this offer.

We may be able to find out more about this later, or we may never know, or I could be totaly wrong in the first place
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

From a buisness point of view it can make sense for CA to sell such a slightly extended version for 20$. For people with enough money and interest and for CA alike it can be a fair deal. Actually all you who say "no way" should be happy that CA charges relatively much for it as CA will get more money and you still get a (hopefully) very good game. If the product is good and truly hope CA and its workers will make a good deal of money to enable them to make other games of my most beloved series.

OA
    "Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

Well, if I buy the game from play.com I get seven extra units and it is pretty much priced like any other game here in Germany. That seems reasonable to me.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Well, if I buy the game from play.com I get seven extra units and it is pretty much priced like any other game here in Germany. That seems reasonable to me.
    Ditto!

In looking over the site today I found that the second most ordered item was Empire: Total War, and the fourth most ordered item was Empire: Total War, Special Forces Edition.

That is not to bad for a preordered game that has been delayed for at least a month, is it?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Certainly not even in the right ballpark in providing money. You get the HMS Surprise and all the major characters of Patrick O'Brian's series in to the game and I might, just might, consider putting down some extra money. Even then, I'd like it to be a more reasonable charge even with me being a hideous fanboy of the books.

That people here are actually approving the extortionate prices for some meagre extra content is astonishing. I wonder if they do that a lot? Going to a vendor and saying: "Please charge me more!" doesn't strike me as very sensible.
    It's certainly not a very good signal to give off for those that want value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Bijlsma View Post
    Certainly not even in the right ballpark in providing money. You get the HMS Surprise and all the major characters of Patrick O'Brian's series in to the game and I might, just might, consider putting down some extra money. Even then, I'd like it to be a more reasonable charge even with me being a hideous fanboy of the books.

That people here are actually approving the extortionate prices for some meagre extra content is astonishing. I wonder if they do that a lot? Going to a vendor and saying: "Please charge me more!" doesn't strike me as very sensible.
    It's certainly not a very good signal to give off for those that want value for money.
    Why not Hornblower! And lets add Jane Austin and add Jonathan Strange and Mr. What’s his name to that! Nothing like bottling up ships with a phantom navy! Or fogging in the French Coast!

With all respect, most earlier Special Editions only gave you some tiny extra like a map or a thicker manual. This one at least has some special units to go with the fancier box and map.

The only other Special Edition in the Total War Series was for Medieval 2 unless I am totally mistaken. And it only had the map and tech tree so far as I know, but I will await enlightenment.

Mark Twain

or a thicker manual
    If they gave me a better game manual, new units, and a map, I'd be there :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Why not Hornblower! And lets add Jane Austin and add Jonathan Strange and Mr. What’s his name to that! Nothing like bottling up ships with a phantom navy! Or fogging in the French Coast!

With all respect, most earlier Special Editions only gave you some tiny extra like a map or a thicker manual. This one at least has some special units to go with the fancier box and map.

The only other Special Edition in the Total War Series was for Medieval 2 unless I am totally mistaken. And it only had the map and tech tree so far as I know, but I will await enlightenment.
    What irritates me is that for Rome we got a map, tech tree and a reasonably thick manual in the normal edition. I have a lot of games that came with maps as standard. Its a shame actually getting anything in the box other than the game is considered to be 'special' nowadays.

As for famous people, why not a pirate edition! Edward 'Blackbeard' Teach, 'Calico' Jack Rackham, Sir Henry Morgan, Bartholomew 'Black Bart' Roberts, Anne Bonney, Mary Reade and all of their respective ships. It would be nice to see them all as Admirals/Captains/Generals.

For those who prefer the child friendly pirate there could be Long John Silver, Captain Hook, and Jack Sparrow if CA could somehow acquire the rights to his character.

Special units could be the Queen Anne's Revenge (Blackbeards flagship), The Black Pearl, The William (Calico Jack, Bonney and Reade's ship) and the Great Fortune (Black Bart's ship.)

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

What irritates me is that for Rome we got a map, tech tree and a reasonably thick manual in the normal edition. I have a lot of games that came with maps as standard. Its a shame actually getting anything in the box other than the game is considered to be 'special' nowadays.
    Oh yes, of course. But that was before they were bought up by Sega.

Not that Sega is bad but when you are talking about large corporations there bottom line decisions don’t always equate to what is smartest or best for the customer. Sega came from the console gaming side, with an early focus on hardware and CA was their first venture into the PC software market.

Accountants aren’t noted as rabid gamers so when they suggest cutting costs guess what is seen as dispensable. Have you ever seen a console game with a thick manual and maps?

It doesn’t mean that they are trying to do things wrong, it is just part of their corporate culture and there is a learning curve involved. I am sure CA is doing there best and Sega is too but remaining profitable is always going to be the major concern, as it should be.

M2TW was the first full release under Saga. It was a safe bet in content with less in the way of nice to have extras. CA put out a special edition with what would have been standard before but they had to charge a bit more to recoup the extra costs. We are seeing the same again with a bit of extra content this time. The better is sells, the better the argument for more in the basic games of the future. If it does poorly then Sega can divert CAs efforts to the console market.

Software Companies come and go. Sometimes it seems the better the games the greater the likelihood that they fail. If you want to see Total War type games you have to support them with your money. The people making the games have families to support. They are not doing it out of charity. Sega is not a great bunch of Robber Barons out to pick your pocket. That would be Microsoft!.. ...

It is just my opinion but the best way I see to get better games and more content is to buy the SF edition.

Mark Twain

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Daylight Gentleman Robbery I say, like someone stealing your wallet, then giving the total ammount of money in there via the Numerical amount in Zimbabwean Dollars (1000 Pounds become 1000 ZBWD)

Ideally if there going to charge and extra £19 (that might be the exchange rate by the time you read this) then they need to add far more units and deliver proper expansions to your door free of charge. (Ok slightly over the top, but then so is what there doing)

And plus, MP, theres going to be a vast majority of people will purchase ETW alone (Myself being among this horde of angry people) there going to have to have seperate servers, or have a major imbalance on the web.
    Last edited by Abokasee; 01-15-2009 at 09:03.
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee View Post
    Daylight Gentleman Robbery I say, like someone stealing your wallet, then giving the total ammount of money in there via the Numerical amount in Zimbabwean Dollars (1000 Pounds become 1000 ZBWD)

Ideally if there going to charge and extra £19 (that might be the exchange rate by the time you read this) then they need to add far more units and deliver proper expansions to your door free of charge. (Ok slightly over the top, but then so is what there doing)

And plus, MP, theres going to be a vast majority of people will purchase ETW alone (Myself being among this horde of angry people) there going to have to have seperate servers, or have a major imbalance on the web.
    £19! Try £5. Don’t blame CA for not being able to find the game at a better price! Blame the Seller and not the Source…

I don’t know where you are shopping but I would look around a bit before I decided. It is your money!

Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12