Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two ceasefires ...

Default Two ceasefires ...

....and nothing achieved
    Straight back to the positions both sides had before the slaughter , with each blaming the other and both claiming victory .

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Re: Two ceasefires ...

...and perfect timing: 2 days before the new Yank Boss takes over, "cease fire" is called.

I guess each side wanted to get their licks in before it drew a frown from Washington.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 01-18-2009 at 18:54.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

A small question:

Were cluster bombs used in Gaza?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The blogosphere is divided about 50-50 on that question. The major media says: "No" (so far). I haven't found any pics/video of them being used.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...cking.news.cnn

This video says much about the situation to my opinion...

The only purpose served is that good people, thousands of them, will turn into fanatics due to the actions of two very immoral governments.

The quota of civilians was reached and its a technical timeout for adverts...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am amazed

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    A small question:

Were cluster bombs used in Gaza?
    Not that I'm aware of, but Hamas claims Israel used white phosphorous on one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, but Hamas claims Israel used white phosphorous on one occasion.
    No, they did, on the UN Building. What utter Bastards the Israelis have been. Won't let any medicine in, and they bomb the stuff that's already there.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Rather ironic considering that Hamas also fired white phosphorous shells. At any rate, white phosphorous is legal if used as a screening tool - and as of yet, I don't think that there is any reliable evidence that it was or was not used to screen.

I know the general status on phosphorous and DIME weapons, but I haven't heard much of cluster bombs... But I suppose we would know it if they did use them, as the sound they make is very distinctive, and the journalists were within hearing range of Gaza, and Gilbert and Fosse would've heard them from Shifa...

They dropped a truckload of cluster bombs on Lebanon(IIRC, almost every cluster bomb used was fired during that last day) during the last 12 hours before the ceasefire there, it'll be interesting to find out if they did the same thing this time.... And if they didn't, then why they chose not to do it this time.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 01-18-2009 at 21:04.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Che Roriniho View Post
    No, they did, on the UN Building. What utter Bastards the Israelis have been. Won't let any medicine in, and they bomb the stuff that's already there.
    do you want to dig out a link for that champ? i.e. some reputable news source that confirms that cluster munitions were in fact dropped on the UN building.

p.s. if it turned out that the israelies had not, would that alter your opinion that they had been utter bastards?
    Last edited by Furunculus; 01-18-2009 at 21:25.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    do you want to dig out a link for that champ? i.e. some reputable news source that confirms that cluster munitions were in fact dropped on the UN building.

p.s. if it turned out that the israelies had not, would that alter your opinion that they had been utter bastards?
    You misunderstand him - he was talking about the use of white phosphorous, not the use of cluster munitions.

Can someone explain to me what was gained out of this invasion?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    From haaretz.com:

The ground invasion was preceded by large-scale artillery shelling from around 4 P.M., intended to "soften" the targets as artillery batteries deployed along the Strip in recent days began bombarding Hamas targets and open areas near the border. Hundreds of shells were fired, including cluster bombs aimed at open areas.
    Hmmmmmm.......

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Basically nothing, except the reason for more suicide bombings. Well done Israel, you really are quite Stupid.

Well it screwed Fatah didn't it , that must have been the intention so it counts as a gain for the Israeli government doesn't it .

Hore those cluster munitions your post refers to is the bombardment of the bulldozed areas next to the prison fence to clear any possible landmines so it doesn't count on the list of war crimes commited during this pointless little middle eastern episode .

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

well,

But I couldn't care less really.

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I am amazed
    I'm amazed by the number of Gazans who died in this 22 day war.

And all this war for what? Has Hamas been weakened?
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
    I'm amazed by the number of Gazans who died in this 22 day war.
    I'm amazed by the fairly good number of Hamas militants that were killed. Good on Israel.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

*yawn*
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    Hore those cluster munitions your post refers to is the bombardment of the bulldozed areas next to the prison fence to clear any possible landmines so it doesn't count on the list of war crimes commited during this pointless little middle eastern episode .
    Ah.

But what's the point in clearing land mines by dropping in a bunch of new land mines?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    I'm amazed by the fairly good number of Hamas militants that were killed. Good on Israel.
    Uhm..... And just how many was that, really? A hundred? "Wow".

Uhm..... And just how many was that, really? A hundred? "Wow".
    As I pointed out on the first page of the first thread, which was relatively close to the beginning of the conflict, even Hamas acknowledged that more than this amount of militants had died.

As I pointed out on the first page of the first thread, which was relatively close to the beginning of the conflict, even Hamas acknowledged that more than this amount of militants had died.
    There are roughly 1200 confirmed kills(but this will undoubtedly rise). Roughly 400 of those are children alone. Then add in the women. Then add in the old people. Then add in the civilian male population. That doesn't leave many left for Hamas fighters, now does it?

And as an added bonus, how many thousands new recruits do you think they'll get because of this? Win-win for Hamas. A resounding defeat for Israel and the palestinian people.

There are roughly 1200 confirmed kills(but this will undoubtedly rise). Roughly 400 of those are children alone. Then add in the women. Then add in the old people. Then add in the civilian male population. That doesn't leave many left for Hamas fighters, now does it?
    Firstly, them being children does not necessarily mean that they were not Hamas fighters. Secondly, Hamas militant deaths have been estimated as between four hundred and six hundred and fifty, plus another hundred and fifty-odd police officers - which is probably a pretty good job by Israel considering the closeness with which Hamas operates around civilians.

Firstly, them being children does not necessarily mean that they were not Hamas fighters.
    Hard to know how many children 'are' fighters, and how many are forced/told to do things, as with child soldiers in Africa etc. --> there will certainly be many more as they grow older, having seen what Israel did...

Hamas militant deaths have been estimated as between four hundred and six hundred and fifty, plus another hundred and fifty-odd police officers - which is probably a pretty good job by Israel
    Estimated by who? --> there is not really any way of knowing how many Hamas fighters have died/ how many there were in the first place, certainly very few of the highest ranking Hamas officicals have been killed, and how many non-Hamas terrorists are still around

considering the closeness with which Hamas operates around civilians.
    its not the civilians fault that Hamas happen to operate near to them...

Well done Mars , you just justified dozens of bombings in Israel .

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
    Hard to know how many children 'are' fighters, and how many are forced/told to do things, as with child soldiers in Africa etc.
    Does it matter? They're trying to kill you either way.

Estimated by who? --> there is not really any way of knowing how many Hamas fighters have died/ how many there were in the first place, certainly very few of the highest ranking Hamas officicals have been killed, and how many non-Hamas terrorists are still around
    I was tempted to provide eight or nine laughing smilies, but instead Palestinian organizations have been claiming about 650-700 of the dead as civilians, it is safe to assume that the rest are not.

its not the civilians fault that Hamas happen to operate near to them...
    Not in and of itself, but it does absolve the IDF of some of the blame for killing those civilians if Hamas was firing bullets, mortars, and missiles from right next to them.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/...aza/index.html

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/default...=178&nid=15466

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    Well done Mars , you just justified dozens of bombings in Israel .
    My turn.

Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 01-18-2009 at 23:30.

Oh dear Mars , keep up to date will you . The Isreali claims featured in that CNN story were shown to be bollox and they were still bollox even after they changed their version of events three times

My turn.
    So you demonstrate a lack of comprehension , congratulations
    Well Mars exercise that thing in your head and see the reason exactly how you justified lots and lots of bombings in Israel .

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Aye, Tribes doþ have you þere.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

And how many people saw their relatives killed for no good reason? How many of these people will become militants?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast