Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ODA ~ From Such Humble Beginnings

Default AW: ODA ~ From Such Humble Beginnings

By the blades of Masamune! This really looks tricky! Do you have a clue about the heir situation of Shimazu? Is he in range? Perhaps you could cut the snakes head off with your last forces?
    If you are really deep in debt, it wont help to burn some infrastructure, would it? Where is the root of your cost? Do you have big armies dwelling around Owari? Perhaps you could break into war with Uesugi, how went Imagawas rebellion? Is Uesugi weak?
    If your have a cash flow problem and are in debt, I see no solution but expansion or cost reduction by dissolving troops, in your situation a bit contraproductive...

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Re: ODA ~ From Such Humble Beginnings

The war with Shimazu is costing a lot and not paying off at all. I'd say, move all the troops from Aki to Owari, burn down every building, and start conquering northward. Shimazu will conquer everything to the south of your base eventually, but if you conquer some land of Uesugi/Hojo/Rebels in the north you will have enough cash to counter him. Right now it's hopeless, I think.

This is indeed thrilling, btw.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

I`ll probably try to hang on to Aki for as long as possible. I`m just a sucker for lost causes and last stands and all that :) Though I`m considering pooling most of my troops around Owari into 1 large army and blitzing Uesugi, i`m gonna try and ally with Imagawa too. I do prefer playing when my backs against the wall, it keeps things interesting.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Blog Entries

great read, good advice too

Thanks Ares I`ll be posting the next update tomorrow.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

i play without disbands and without manual pillaging. So if i was in your place i d give up the holdings around Aki while making sure that in the process the bulk of my lower quality forces gets destroyed in order to get out of debt. Then i would take whoever is worth keeping back to Owari and start a new. As long as you hold Owari and Mikawa there is hope, especially if you can get some teppo in your hands.

Nice AAR.

!it burnsus!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

ODA ~ Desperate Gamble

Summer, 1563 Survivors from Buzen have turned up in Aki. They were able to enlighten me as to exactly what happened during the battle. It appears that as reported, Genshin was attempting to lure away a large formation of enemy infantry so that our own infantry would have a numeric advantage in the centre. He had also placed a small reserve force on the far right flank concealed in a small wood, they were to wait for the Shimazu forces to be fully engaged across the centre before hitting them in the rear. However the enemy general was more cunning than Genshin gave him credit for and had also kept a large force of swordsmen in reserve, concealed by the heavy fog they moved quielty forward and were able to hit our own ambushers in the rear. The impetus of the charge carried to the centre of our lines where they burst through. With no one left to plug the hole and the army cut cleanly in half the outcome was a foregone conclusion. Genshin was able to return to the centre and organise a hasty withdrawal but was caught up in the confusion and killed. The survivors were able to escape to Chikuzen where they linked up with the local garrison. Realising all was lost they moved on Hizen. There they were able to steal enough ships to take them back to Aki. It would appear that all is not lost in the east. Apparently the victorious Shimazu army was severely bloodied and if reports are correct they do not have the manpower to threaten Aki in the near future. We may have lost the battle but perhaps Lord Shimazu has learned that a war with me will be very costly indeed. I have despatched an emmissary to see if Shimazu is willing to discuss a ceasfire. I need time to rebuild and re-arm.

Winter, 1563 My emmissary reports success. Lord Shimazu agrees that further bloodshed is pointless and has agreed to a ceasefire.

Summer, 1564 I have received a message from a samurai in my service in Chikuzen. He has organised a revolt there without my orders and taken the province from Shimazu. It appears the ceasefire will be over and my reputation will now suffer as a result. If by some miracle this man survives his adventure in Chikuzen I will order him to commit seppuku.

Autumn, 1564 Well the forces loyal to me in Chikuzen have been wiped out, as was to be expected. I doubt Lord Shimazu will believe any explanation I could give him for this unfortunate event. Katsuie has been told to prepare defences and wait for the Shimazu assault.

Spring, 1565 Reports from the west indicate that the new Lord Imagawa has been killed in battle and his clan has disintegrated. It would seem his rebellion was never really able to gain a foothold anywhere. I must look elsewhere for allies.

Autumn, 1565 As I write this I am trapped under siege in my castle in Mino. My spies had reported no build up of troops along our border so we were unprepared for the attack by the Saito. I took my army into the field but we were outnumbered and my army was swiftly defeated. I can only hope that Nobunaga will get here soon to relieve me as there is very little food.

Winter, 1565 Nobunaga arrived yesterday and drove off the Saito army. I have sent an emmissary to broach the subject of an alliance with Lord Hojo.

Spring, 1566 This last winter has affected me more than any before, I guess I am just getting too old for campaigning now. I am not ready to retire yet as I find this exhilirating despite my advancing years. With the army depleted in Mino I consulted with Nobunaga and we decided to abandon Mino. This was a fortuitous decision as we returned to Owari just in time to see off a large force of Ronin and bandits. I received word this week that Lord Hojo has declined to enter into an alliance with me.

Autumn, 1566 Received a proclamation from the Emperor. He has declared his support for a new Shimazu Shogunate and requires me to submit. I have refused.

With increased bandit activity in the region, the Hojo increasing in strength on my borders and the Shimazu closing in from the east I have decided to risk everything on a desperate gamble. I have abandoned the provinces around Owari and invaded Kyushu via Hizen. Shimazu has left his soft underbelly dangerously exposed and I cannot pass up this chance for glory. I have not abandoned Owari however, a strong garrison will remain, it is afterall my homeland. The Shimazu forces in Hizen fled to their castle before I could destroy them, I have placed it under siege.

Winter, 1566 The siege in Hizen is over. I am going to stay here as another winter`s campaigning may be the end of me.

Spring, 1567 Naito Hidemasa, the commander of the survivors of Genshin`s army has attacked Kyushu from Nagato and taken Buzen without a fight. Loyalists once again revolted in Chikuzen and Nobunaga assisted them in bringing the province back under my control. I have led the rest of the army into Chikugo and taken the province once again without a fight. Lord Shimazu must place great emphasis on his troops abilities to run as it is almost impossible to catch them. Uesugi has accepted my offer of an alliance.

Autumn, 1567 My son, Nobuharu has finally entered service with my army. I hope he will bring honour to our name. Nobunaga and Hidemasa have attacked Bungo and placed the castle under siege.

Winter, 1567 My sons all appear to be growing up fast as Nobukane has entered service with my army in Aki. I hope he will learn well from Katsuie. I could not sit idly by this winter whilst my subordinates are gaining glory in the field. I attacked and took Higo. It will not be long before all of Kyushu is under my control. I only hope I will live long enough to see it.

Spring, 1568 My emmissary in Musashi is dead. This can only be the work of Lord Hojo. He was however too late to disrupt the birth of my alliance with the Uesugi. I have however had cause to celebrate this season. My young wife has given birth to another son, we have named him Hidetsugu. Hideyoshi has now entered service with my army and is currently stationed with the garrison in Aki.

Summer, 1568 Nobunaga informs me that the long siege in Bungo is finally over. I now control the sea lanes to Shikoku.

Autumn, 1568 Hideyoshi has joined Katsuie in Bingo. Nobunaga has attacked and taken Hyuga.

Winter, 1568 I have attacked and taken Satsuma and placed the castle under siege. The main enemy force has fled to Osumi and are contained there. I received a message today from my spies in the west, Lord Hojo has been murdered and his son now rules the clan.

Spring, 1569 I attacked and destroyed the last free Shimazu forces in Kyushu. Surrounded in Osumi and with nowhere left to run I finally got the battle I had been waiting for.

It was a rather short affair but the Shimazu did not go down easily. We had to kill every last one of them.

Autumn, 1569 Naito Hidemasa has ended the siege in Satsuma. I feel it would now be prudent to quit public life and allow Nobunaga to begin taking control. I have begun to feel aches in every joint and constant bouts of sickness. The end is near, I can feel it.

Spring, 1570 All resistance in Kyushu has ended and the entire island is now mine. I will not continue further with this journal but I will ensure that it is passed to my son when I die.

Overview
    Well I`ve abandoned one half of my empire. I was going to abandon Aki but when it came to it, Kyushu was just too tempting to resist. My next move is going to be to move on Shikoku and take that island, then I will probably just try to and do a straight sweep across the map
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-27-2009 at 23:33.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

A tactical masterpiece!

I'm in a trance of deep admiration.

You pulled it off - it was the right thing to do since Kyushu its a dead end and always as such safe. From now it falls into line after this you ll take the upper hand pretty quickly especially as you make some money.

Nicely done.

!it burnsus!

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Blog Entries

woo! you work fast, great turn around, though it is a poor area for money generally

Cheers guys. The decision to abandon everything around Owari to invade Hizen came to me in a moment of clarity haha. It took all of about 5 seconds to decide to go through with it.

There is one worrying factor though in this campaign. I have seen a couple of Hojo Geisha`s moving about. They havn`t bothered me yet...

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

There is one worrying factor though in this campaign. I have seen a couple of Hojo Geisha`s moving about. They havn`t bothered me yet...
    They will eventually - also Hojos frontier seems to start the weeping of teh northeast. better reach Kawachi asap and barricade in Kawachi/Harima/Tajima.

As for the area being poor its deceptive - you can make tons of money especially if you accept both the Portuguese and Dutch and queue uo both their trading posts. Kyushu plains are also very lucrative.

Barricade and start building ninja houses with eventually aiming for your own Charlies Angels. Remember to spy on the Geishas to see who they are targeting and if its your daimyo and heirs start port hoping to avoid them. Enemy geishas get only worst in time as they accumulate experience - and you are still far off from reaching the geisha house of Hojo it seems.

!it burnsus!
    Last edited by gollum; 01-19-2009 at 01:48.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

If the Geishas become a real problem, you may have to isolate the Daimyo in a back water province and demolish the port and ports in several adjoining provinces to stop her getting close, then send your ninjas against her. I remember having to do this once because she was targeting my heirless Daimyo...

ODA ~ Passing the Torch

Autumn, 1570 My father is dead. It now falls to me to guide my clan to it`s destiny, the domination of all Japan. I was unaware of my father`s journal untill it was handed to me by his closest retainer, a man by the name of Li Kurosawa. I am not much of a writer but I will try to keep an accurate record of events to come.

Autumn, 1572 It has been two years since my first entry. Affairs of state have kept me busy and to be honest, nothing of much interest has occured. There has been no further fighting with Lord Shimazu these past two years and we have agreed to a ceasefire.

Autumn, 1574 I am now firmly established in Kyushu and the memory of Shimazu rule here is just that, a memory, a fading memory. The Hojo however continue to grow strong, they have almost completely surrounded Owari but have not yet dared to attack.

Winter, 1575 With the preparations in place, I have declared war on the Shimazu and invaded Iyo. The province was taken and the castle there is surrounded and under siege.

Summer, 1576 My emmissary in Bitchu has been killed. Apparently he engaged the services of a local courtesan, It would seem he must have caused some offense. The woman has not been seen since.

Spring, 1577 I have continued my offensive in Shikoku. Sanuki has fallen to me and the siege in Iyo has ended.

Autumn, 1577 I ordered the death of the Shimazu emmissary, our man was successfull. My enemy, Lord Shimazu also died this month, though the cause would appear to be sickness. His son has taken over. This new lord`s days are numbered.

Winter, 1577 I have pushed on into Awa and swept aside a small force sent to hold us at a major bridge crossing. Awa belongs to me now. General Naotaka has attacked and taken Tosa. My brother, Hideyoshi has opened up a new front with an attack on Bizen. He defeated a small army there and has the local castle under siege. I will crush them soon.

Spring, 1578 The entire island of Shikoku is now under my banner and the Shimazu are completely on the defensive.

Leaving a small force to maintain the siege in Bizen I ordered Hideyoshi to launch an immediate attack upon Mimisaka. Once again the Shimazu forces retreated behind their castle walls.

Summer, 1578 Disturbing news arrived today. My younger brother, Nobuharu has been murdered. The circumstances appear eerily similar to the death of my emmisary two years ago. I hope these two killings are not related.

Autumn, 1578 The Hojo finally invaded Owari this season. They were defeated in a huge battle, but now I have ordered the abandonment of the province. I do not feel a sentimental towards that place as my father and the troops will be better put to good use in the war with Shimazu. This war continues to go well with the latest Lord Shimazu dying in battle in a misguided attack against my superior forces. His brother now rules the clan.

Spring, 1579 I have attacked and taken Awaji. The Shimazu clan have now been completely evicted from the smaller islands and now reside in an ever shrinking domain around Yamashiro. However there was another disturbing event, my brother Hideyoshi has died in mysterious circumstances. I have heard whispers that the killings were ordered by myself in order to cement my rule of the clan, In many ways I wish it were so but it is not the case. I feel I may be next. I have ordered a purge of my household, I cannot risk Lord Hojo infiltrating an assassin into my court.

Summer, 1579 I have fought a mighty Shimazu army in Kawachi and won.

Once again they attempted to hold me at an important crossing. However, before they enemy were fully deployed I was able to get my Cavalry Archers across the bridge and behind the enemy formations.

There they were ordered to stay clear of the river and harass the enemy formations whilst my infantry crossed the bridge.

A small formation of enemy Archers were able to inflict some damage on my units as they moved over the bridge. Once my men were all across the Shimazu forces lost heart and fled the field.

Overview
    This is tricky. The Geisha has killed all my heirs brothers but one and his own sons are still babies. My wars are going fine but I don`t think the Geisha will let me live long enough to win.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-27-2009 at 23:43.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    This is tricky. The Geisha has killed all my heirs brothers but one and his own sons are still babies. My wars are going fine but I don`t think the Geisha will let me live long enough to win.
    That sounds familiar (see my thread). You will need to kill off the Geisha and find where they are being trained and go for broke. Once they target your faction, they often do so until destruction.

Well I`ve actually managed to wipe out all the Geisha with some hardcore Ninja`s. I can now train geisha of my own, however I don`t want to win the campaign like that. I have encountered a problem though. Hojo have attacked me in Kawachi, it`s a massive battle, over 5,000 of them vs over 2,000 of mine. When I try to command the defence I get an error message "Shog_CPP" and the game crashes to desktop. I have tried reloading and going again but I get the same error message. I am willing to try to Auto resolve if I have no other option to keep the campaign running but I would rather not.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Wow, really close then! I wonder why enemy Geishas never bothered me when campaining...

Hm, this would be quite undesirable. The AI wil probably be unable to fight off 5000 men. I bet you would. This could become a massive drawback then. Are there other posibilites to come out of this? reinstall and save the savegame? Or transfer it to another PC with Shogun, fight it there? Or ingame stuff: counterattacks or anything?

Default Re: AW: ODA ~ From Such Humble Beginnings

Quote Originally Posted by patdj View Post
    Wow, really close then! I wonder why enemy Geishas never bothered me when campaining...
    It may be that you blitz the map or that you expand quite quickly? If you turtle the campaign, you will see more Geishas and heavily upgraded units.

As to the error, that might be the result of a corrupted save. If you have any agents on missions for that season, try to cancel the missions. Be careful with emissaries, there is a bug whereby if you cancel their missions in certain cases they can CTD the game.

Worst case scenario try abandoning the province, retreating to the castle or autoresolving and see if it still crashes. If it does then it may unrecoverable...

I tend to avoid the quicksave and autosave in STW (and MTW) for this reason. Most of the time they're ok but then they corrupt at the worst possible moment.

I recall having such a problem in MTW. I don't remeber right, but I think it was one minor attack causing it and after aborting it, it was ok.

As for the Geishas, I had this rather long battle against Shimazu (see campain report) where, at one point in time, he killed 2/3 of my heirs by ninjas and I turtled my last one in a nonport-province with everything around heavily fortified. I would have expected him to use Geishas then...

ODA ~ Winter, 1579

Autumn, 1579 Ishida Mitsunari has attacked and taken Inaba and has invested the castle there. He has warned me to expect a long siege there. Elsewhere, Nishio Katsutoshi has conquered Harima in my name and I have taken Yamashiro, I am now a guest of the Emperor who has declared his support for me and invited me to become Shogun, I doubt my enemies will stop their resistance.

However, for the timebeing I am isolated here after a Shimazu attack on Kawachi. I will retake Kawachi next season with assistance from Mitsunari.

Winter, 1579 I launched my attack as soon as I heard news from Mitsunari that he was ready to assist me.

The battle was won but at heavy casualties. I deployed on my side of the bridge with my lightly armed Ashigaru in the front, they were to be the first across the bridge. My hope was that they would trigger an attack by the shimazu defenders, thus luring them into range of my Archers.

This was unsuccessful and after my Ashigaru received heavy casualties for no gain I ordered a mass rush across the bridge. This was touch and go, my men fighting for every yard as they went, my entire personal guard was wiped out. In the end, with my whole army across and on their side of the river the Shimazu decided to quit the field. If only they knew how close they came to killing me and wiping my army out.

My garrison in Tosa reported a minor revolt was swiftly put down.

Overview
    Just a quick update today. I still have some stuff to post from before the bug occured which I`ll post in the next day or two whilst trying to fix my game. Anyways, everything is going well at the memoent.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-27-2009 at 23:53.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Nicely done. That was... an interestng way to get to Yamashiro. Hitting Shimazu in the back certainly paid off.

I never know whether to go east or west as Oda. Sometimes I end up doing both at once.

That geisha is out there. She can't be bargained with. She can't be reasoned with. She doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And she absolutely will not stop, ever, until you and all your heirs are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by zyxophoj View Post
    Nicely done. That was... an interestng way to get to Yamashiro. Hitting Shimazu in the back certainly paid off.

I never know whether to go east or west as Oda. Sometimes I end up doing both at once.
    Cheers mate I`m glad you`ve enjoyed reading my report as it`s my first one. Also, I see you are a new member, welcome to the Dojo

P.S I love your signature.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-21-2009 at 19:33.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

ODA ~ Then There Were Two

Spring, 1580 I ordered the death of another of Lord Shimazu`s spies in Satsuma. I have heard that the fickle Emperor has now decided to switch his support to the Shimazu clan.

Summer, 1580
    The siege in Inaba is now over. I am closing the net around the Shimazu.

Autumn, 1580
    Ishida Mitsunari has led his army into battle against Lord Shimazu in Tajima province. The enemy did what they appear to be best at, they ran.

Autumn, 1581 After a long investigation, my spies have uncovered a group of female assassins working for Lord Hojo. It would appear that they were the ones responsible for the prominent deaths in my clan not so long ago. My agents have managed to uncover the locations of these women. Already one of them has fallen to the blade of an assassin in my employ in Harima.

Winter, 1581 The blessed Emperor has now declared his support for the Hojo clan. In a stunning betrayal and series of attackes the Hojo turned on their weakened allies, the Shimazu and all but destroyed them. Their only remaining forces are trapped with their lord under siege in Tamba. I only wish it was me who would be the one to destroy them. I must start preparing for an enevitable offensive by the Hojo. I am simply too powerful for them to ignore, even if they do have the support of the Emperor.

Spring, 1582 My assassins have located another enemy assassin in Harima and killed her, however they know were three of them but cannot find the third. Her trail has gone cold.

Summer, 1582 As expected Lord Hojo has began his offensive into my lands with an attack on Tajima. This was shortlived. As soon as the Hojo commander encountered determined resistance they withdrew to Wakasa.

Winter, 1582
    My enemies, the Shimazu are gone. Lord Hojo showed his former ally no mercy. The Shimazu are gone forever. My father once told me of strange foreigners from across the sea coming here to trade, however they wanted my father and our people to convert to their strange religion. I recently entertained another group of foreigners claiming to represent other foreign powers opposed to my fathers "guests".

These people too wished to trade but were not interested in spreading their faith in my lands. The weapons they offer, guns, are a much improved version than what I have previously seen wielded by the Shimazu in previous battles. I have agreed to their request to trade. These new weapons will be very useful in my war with the Hojo.

Summer, 1584 Hidetsugu has come of age and I have given him command of an elite unit of No-Dachi swordsmen in Satsuma. He will be joining me at the front very shortly. I also received word this month that my allies, the Uesugi have been finally defeated. It is down to just me and Lord Hojo now. I vow that it will be me who will control the destiny of these islands.

Overview
    You are all now fully up to date with my campaign before the bug hit. I think I have discovered a fix though. Anyways, it`s now just me and the Hojo. My plan is just to draw them into as many large battles as quickly as possible in as short a time as possible. I will, hopefully defeat their armies then sweep through their territory. Once the Hojo lord and heirs are dead I shall be victorious.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-27-2009 at 23:58.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Nice, you have a lot of territory now! Is it right that the Hojo control the rest of Japan?

By the way: you have heads in your thone room! Is this special for Oda? Or do you have to do certain things for that?

Default Re: AW: ODA ~ From Such Humble Beginnings

Purely cosmetic, the Oda throneroom comes complete with those heads.

Blog Entries

Hojo has a slight territory advantage and richer lands, but im sure you'll thrash him regardless, if you can destroy is geisha that is, be sure to get your agents at his ports and strike at the weak under belly that lies beneath his strong outer

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Wow. This is a very gripping campaign, Wishazu! I've not read one like this in a very long time.

I especially like the multiple references to Nobuhide's old bodyguard Li Kurosawa. A very nice touch, that.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Wow. This is a very gripping campaign, Wishazu! I've not read one like this in a very long time.

I especially like the multiple references to Nobuhide's old bodyguard Li Kurosawa. A very nice touch, that.
    Cheers mate, I`m glad you have enjoyed reading it. I`m hoping to continue on as soon as possible but I have encountered a bug(posted in apothecary already). When I try to play a specific battle(hojo attacking kawachi) the game crashes and I get an error message "Shog_CPP" the CTD. I have look around and noticed this random unit in my Daimyo`s army(bottom of screeny)

I have done a quick test and suicided the extra unit but then i get another message saying my daimyo is dead

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Whar else can you do with the unit? Can you command it to go elsewhere, what does the info screen say (in comparison to the original one)? In my opinion this will probably be the root of evil in this case, since the game cannot generate a 121 men daimyo unit?

Thats unlucky with the bug, hope it gets sorted out, great campaign so far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast