Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naval Battles

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Default Re: Naval Battles

I also hope to disagree with him, but he did give empire a good scoring. Perhaps he was playing with over 10 ships a side or something, no doubt that would be hectic.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

I think this goes back to numbers, if you looked at all the demonstrations, and times they showed off empire, they did 3 v 3 ships, or 4 v 4 ships. So it was nice and neat and not chaotic. Now the guy does 20 v 20 and big suprirse, it's chaotic.

that's like saying you did 1000 v 1000 land battle, then did 5000 v 5000 and big suprirse, it's more chaotic

I don't know why it would be a click fest, unless you play tw in real time..which for me loses purpose.

Pause, issue orders, enjoy the events.

I think the smaller battles will be fun and playable, but if your going to get into the 20 v 20 don't be suprirsed if you get some chaos.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I agree with all those saying that it might just be the reviewer not being used to the style of gameplay.

Also I have to ask, does he know what a real naval battle should 'feel' like? If he does great, but maybe he doesn't and that is where his confusion came from. I reserve my opinion until I have played the game for myself, or read a review written by one of my fellow Orgahs.

As for battles being 'click-fests', there is a pause button for a reason and I suggest that he use it.

Chaotic controls might become a problem in MP. But it does mean that atleast there is some degree of challenge to becoming good at naval combat, even if the challenge is artificial.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 02-08-2009 at 19:53.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

read a review written by one of my fellow Orgahs.
    May not want to rely on this as I will probably spend 1/4 of my review discussing who much and why I like the new female advisor, and the other 3/4 about how much I like land battles and diplomacy.

Then I will probably be like, "Oh yea, and they have ships, they go boom."

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Of course once the game is out, we could always ask/beg Jack Lusted to explain and or comment on it.

He is a CA Tester after all. I know he can not divulge some things or make opinionated comments but I hope a straight forward explanation or review of procedures would not be outside the realm of possibilities.

I am sure someone could ask him...

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Of course once the game is out, we could always ask/beg Jack Lusted to explain and or comment on it.

He is a CA Tester after all. I know he can not divulge some things or make opinionated comments but I hope a straight forward explanation or review of procedures would not be outside the realm of possibilities.

I am sure someone could ask him...
    Once the game is out CA staff members won't need to be so tight-lipped about game features. I wouldn't be surprised if he answered questions, providing we don't bug him too much.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

For those wishing to learn a bit more about ships, masts, sails, & rigging I have a link that will be somewhat informative. That way in the naval battles you will know what has been shot away if it doesn’t help you in any other way.

http://sailing-ships.oktett.net/square-rigging.html

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Yeah I just played two quick naval battles online and it was a huge clusterfudge. I set everything on low and the framerate is still extremely slow (8800GTX), then there's the netlag added onto that and the already sluggish nature of naval battles, then add on the terrible pathfinding (lol @ managing to have terrible pathfinding in OPEN SEA), and most of all, no one knows what their doing.

End result is a slideshow of 40 ships moving around and bumping into eachother at super close range with no rhyme or reason to the whole thing.

I will try again once ETW has had some patches fixes related to naval warfare.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Yeah I just played two quick naval battles online and it was a huge clusterfudge. I set everything on low and the framerate is still extremely slow (8800GTX), then there's the netlag added onto that and the already sluggish nature of naval battles, then add on the terrible pathfinding (lol @ managing to have terrible pathfinding in OPEN SEA), and most of all, no one knows what their doing.

End result is a slideshow of 40 ships moving around and bumping into eachother at super close range with no rhyme or reason to the whole thing.

I will try again once ETW has had some patches fixes related to naval warfare.
    It may be you don’t fully understand how the loss of hull, the loss of rigging, amount of sail and wind direction, affects movement.

I know I didn’t, and will still be learning for quite some time I’m sure.

Try setting your self up with one ship, them four ship Single Player battles.

Then try the Scenario Battles.

When you win them, enter your scores in our competition.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=279

Then you might be ready to add more ships.

But even then twenty per player will still be a long way off, and might be better left to teams?

No offence meant, almost everyone “way-way” underestimates the skill and experience necessary to become a Total War Admiral.

But a little study and practice will pay off
    Last edited by Tomisama; 03-08-2009 at 14:12.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

naval batteles are very nice. Very well balanced and very tactic. I am enjoying a lot playing naval quick matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    I agree with all those saying that it might just be the reviewer not being used to the style of gameplay.

Also I have to ask, does he know what a real naval battle should 'feel' like? If he does great, but maybe he doesn't and that is where his confusion came from. I reserve my opinion until I have played the game for myself, or read a review written by one of my fellow Orgahs.

As for battles being 'click-fests', there is a pause button for a reason and I suggest that he use it.

I like how you suggest he doesn't know what a real naval battle feels like, and then suggests he should be using the pause button, just like in real battles right? Also, this forum concerns multiplayer..no pause button.

I've only tried a couple of naval battles offline, and I didn't have a clue what was going on. I think though that with all the manouvering and such theres potential for more tactical play than field battles.

I've played a lot of naval battles so far and I actually prefer them over the land battles at the moment. The fact that the emphasis is on large scale maneuver and not micromanagement is refreshing. The only issue I have with naval combat at the moment is rocket ship spam, which really is nigh unstoppable unless you are prepared for it. It was a wonderful experience to see my 14 ships of the line be utterly massacred by 15-17 rocket ships and a heavy first rate.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12