Thread: Strange province behavior...

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Strange province behavior...

So, I've been playing a game as the south Arabian faction(I still can never remember its proper name). I've been able to make some decent, solid progress taking the south and east of the Arabian Peninsula, up to Hormuz by 247. However... something really strange has happened twice. Once, a province smack in the west-central part of the Seleucid Empire(just west of Baghdad) rebelled and suddenly joined me. I had no possible way of reinforcing it, and the Seluecids promptly came in with an army, attacked the city, and buthered it. I finally got peace with the Seleucids after a while, but it was a bit annoying because I had trade rights with them. I had a similar incident occur with a rebel city in Nubia, just west of Aksum rebelling and joining me with seeminly no provocation. Again, I had no way of reinforcing it, and 5 turns later, the settlement got butchered by the Ptolomoi. What exactly is going on, eh?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Exclamation Re: Strange province behavior...

Those towns have the Saba as their culture slot, meaning they will rebel to the Saba if owned by another faction. This causes you to go to war with the previous owner of those rebellious towns.

Now, kill them all.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Strange province behavior...

Thank you. Now, as for slaying Ptolemoi and the Seleucids at once...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

Oh, that problem. I had to deal with them before as well. And I was an idiot too for leaving the settings on VH/VH. Arche Seleukia will probably be too far away to pose much of a threat. The Ptolemies will be the mess. But they send small stacks over, nothing like a giant invasion force ("Yellow Death").

The Ptolemaic armies didn't do so great when confronted by Red Sea Hoplites. I'd use them to hold the lines while other units come in from behind. It scares the enemies and their morale drops. It's useful since Saba lacks any real shock units.
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!

Thumbs up Re: Strange province behavior...

As an example to better help your understanding of the topic at hand, Cyrene has a knack for rebelling to the Seleucids, causing an immediate war between the Seleucids and whoever owned that town first (usually the Carthaginians or Ptolemaics). Also, Ankyra tends to rebel to the Arverni, although they will sometimes rebel to the Eleutheroi as well.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    As an example to better help your understanding of the topic at hand, Cyrene has a knack for rebelling to the Seleucids, causing an immediate war between the Seleucids and whoever owned that town first (usually the Carthaginians or Ptolemaics). Also, Ankyra tends to rebel to the Arverni, although they will sometimes rebel to the Eleutheroi as well.
    Anything Coastal in Asia Minor Pontus and West is quite Phil-Hellen.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    How exactly did the EB team come to these conclusions? I mean, how did they figure that a Nubians had such strong ethnic bonds with southern Arabians?

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    How exactly did the EB team come to these conclusions? I mean, how did they figure that a Nubians had such strong ethnic bonds with southern Arabians?
    Every province needs to have somebody to rebel to, a lot of the time the faction chosen is far from perfect but better than anyone else.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    I believe that historically there was alot of contact between East Africa and what we know as Arabia. If the old Pharoah games by Sierra () are to believe, there was alot of trade going on between the two areas. After all, you can either spend a week in the desert where there are bandits and general crappiness by walking through the Sinai or just sail straight across the gulf of Aqaba/Aden.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I would look at it this way... if you are a nubian city and want to declare independance from the regional superpower, it helps to make a friend of a powerful neighbour... even if you aren't that culturally close....

cheers,

Pobs