Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

Default Re: AW: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

I absolutely HAVE to play on 120 man units next time. It's been a while since I had one of those bridge battles with a giant mass of men who fight for 10 minutes straight.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Default Re: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

You are honestly a STW god.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

UESUGI ~ Autumn 1572 - Autumn 1576

Autumn, 1572 Kenshin has ended the siege in Sagami and destroyed the last of the rebels holed up there. I have taken Shinano with no resistance.

Winter, 1572 Shingen has abandoned his provinces around Aki. Without his armies fighting the Shimazu I`m not sure what further use my allegiance to the Takeda will be. I will watch them for now and see how they continue to fare against the Imagawa.

Summer, 1573 News arrived today from my spies in Kai, Shingen has made a secret peace agreement with Ieyasu, the Imagawa Daimyo. I am resolved now to an attack upon Kai for which I will be ready in the coming autumn.

Autumn, 1573 Kai is now mine and Shingen did not even lift a finger to defend it, he fled to Suruga. I have dispatched an emmissary to Wakasa to request an alliance with the Oda clan, currently they are allied to the Shimazu but that is likely to change very soon with Shimazu on the warpath.

Spring, 1574 I have just received a message from my man in Wakasa, he has succeeded in negotiating the alliance with Hideyoshi but also informs me that it will probably be worth nothing as the Oda just lost their largest army in battle to the Shimazu this past winter. I only hope that me new ally can keep the Shimazu occupied long enough for me to wipe out the Takeda.

Winter, 1575 Kagekatsu led his army into Izu to oust the Takeda but met no rsistance. I don`t blame the enemy for retreating, Izu is worthless and I would hate to die to defend it. Kenshin was also in action this winter, he attacked Shingen in Suruga but the resulting battle could only be decided as inconclusive. The Takeda had chosen an excellent defensive position and Kenshin was reluctant to engage in a costly head on attack. As it happens, my nephew was able to inflict much damage to the Takeda before a blizzard forced him to withdraw back to Kai. His supply lines were not secure and we can easily take Suruga next year.

Spring, 1576 Well the alliance with the Oda clan has been short lived. I received word today that Hideyoshi was defeated and with nowhere to run committed Seppuku rather than be captured. The Shimazu now control most of Japan and my patrols in Shinano have seen samurai flying the banner of Shimazu Yoshimoto just inside the border of Mino. It is only a matter of time now.

Summer, 1576 A vast Shimazu army is now camped within the borders of Mino, my agents estimate 4,000 infantry and about 1,000 cavalry. This force greatly outnumbers the force I have in Shinano, the obvious location for the first Shimazu move against me. There was, however, a ray of hope in the news I received with my spie`s report. It seems that Lord Shimazu`s only heir was killed in the final battle with the Oda clan. If I can only tempt him personally into battle then I can make good on my claim to the title of Shogun. Kenshin and Kagekatsu attacked Suruga and this time destroyed the entire enemy army. Shingen himself died during the fighting, ambushed by a unit of Warrior monks, when he tried to escape he was caught by our cavalry and killed. The Takeda are no more.

Kagekatsu has joined me in Shinano and left Kenshin in Suruga to protect our flank against any move Ieyasu may attempt from Totomi. I have dispatched my emmissary to Totomi to see if Ieyasu is willing to make peace, I cannot spare any forces to finish him and he is also at war with Lord Shimazu.

Autumn, 1576 Well as expected Lord Shimazu attacked Shinano with all the forces he could muster but did not make an appearance himself.

We managed to achieve a victory but at massive cost, losing more than half of our army and Kagekatsu whilst inflicting relatively few casualties in comparison upon the enemy. I cannot furnish you with the exact details as during the early stages of the battle when it looked as though we may lose, my bodyguard dragged me from the field. All senior commanders were killed so there is no conclusive picture of events after my departure. What I do know is that the battle quickly degenerated into scattered skirmishes between small pockets of opposing forces. In this regard my men had the advantage and new the terrain better. Unable to pin my troops down and with their Taisho killed the Shimazu warriors withdrew, I suspect they will be back in force very soon. Ieyasu has responded to my request for a ceasfire, the head of my former emmissary carrying the reply.

Overview
    Ok, yes, my Daimyo ran away Shinano was just one of those battles where everything seems to go spectacularly wrong. Though on a massive hill my archers singularly failed to do much harm, my infantry were unable to hold at the top of the hill after the Shimazu infantry exhausted themselves with the climb. The same enemy infantry just would not rout, not even after being ambushed in the rear by warrior monks and to top it all off my 3 brand new units of CA refused to skirmish they just stood by and watched the enemy Nagi cav walk up and kill them. I lost 2,000 men for about 1,000 kills, only achieving victory by having my reinforcement archers hold out in the scattered pockets of woodland untill the timer ran out. I am now frantically training replacements but if I lose another battle in Shinano then I think the game will be up. Sorry once again for lack of screenshots of the battle, I was too busy with the micro management.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-29-2009 at 12:22.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Okay, okay, enough already. I'll re-install STW tonight.

*** shakes fist at Wishazu ***

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I've really been enjoying your AAR's
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Okay, okay, enough already. I'll re-install STW tonight.

*** shakes fist at Wishazu ***

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I've really been enjoying your AAR's
    Awesome! Hopefully like me you`ll have forgotten just how much fun it really is. I think it can still hold it`s head up high amongst the other titles in the series.

p.s working on the next update right now.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Harsh very harsh...seems to me you need kenshin in Shinano. Was it heavy rain to make your archers ineffective like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    The same enemy infantry just would not rout, not even after being ambushed in the rear by warrior monks...
    I haven't checked before posting this, but I think you're playing on expert? If so that may be the cause. The AI get quite a morale bonus on expert and when you add that to the bonuses from buildings and the general you can end up with almost totally unroutable units.

Ouch, bit of a nasty one that. Think your going to have churn out replacements and dig in. If Shimazu's got no heirs left you'll have to try and track him down and try and catch him.

Default AW: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

Can you somehow hit him into his backland?

UESUGI ~ Second Battle of Shinano

Winter, 1576 The Shimazu came at Shinano again as I knew they would. I believed they would wait untill spring to start another offensive but I had everything prepared nonetheless. Reinforcements had poured into Shinano for the last few weeks from Kozuke, Kai, Echigo and Musashi. This time there was not such a disparity in numbers, though in that regard the enemy still had the edge.

We met the enemy at the same location, as anyone wishing to move through Shinano to the Kanto must use this pass. I even deployed my army in a similar formation to the previous engagement, this time though I had secreted some Yari Cavalry in a position where they could quickly move unseen into the rear of the enemy. As the Shimazu came forward, my line fell back up the hill shortly to draw them in and my Yari Cavalry took their place overlooking the enemy advance.

As their front line approached they hesitated in their advance, I think they could plainly see they were going to have a real fight on their hands this time. They didnt begin to move forward again untill their commander came to the fore to personally lead the attack.

The Yari Cavalry lying in wait didn`t have to wait too long to make themselve`s useful. My Cavalry Archers, mauled as they were had managed to draw out an entire unit of Samurai Archers. The Yari Cavalry pounced and smashed into the rear of the unit whilst the the Cavalry Archers charged the front. The enemy archers were swiftly butchered.

Back at the frontline and in the meatgrinder, the Shimazu Taisho reconsidered his chances and decided to flee. He didn`t get very far before being impaled through the back with a 9` long Yari.

The rest of his army followed their dead leader`s example and the Yari Cavalry made short work of them too. A few Shimazu mounted units still roamed the area but the skirmishing that followed wasn`t very serious.

This spectacular victory has temporarily shifted the balance of power in this region in my favour. I must now maintain the initiative and strike back at the Shimazu to maximise the potential gains from this battle. As soon as the weather improves Lord Shimazu will find me knocking on his door.

Spring, 1577 Preparations continue for my counter-attack into Shimazu held Mino next month. I received an envoy from Tokugawa Ieyasu today, I had not forgotten the insult he showed me in sending back my last envoy`s head and I felt very much like returning the favour but decided to be the better man.

Lord Imagawa had time to reflect on his rash behaviour last year and decided the time had indeed come to end of our dispute. I agreed as I can always deal with him(the Imagawa) after I have finished with the Shimazu. The envoy also brought information - agents working for Ieyasu, deep behind enemy lines have engineered uprisings across Shimazu territory.

Summer, 1577 I had been informed that Lord Shimazu was still in Mino when I attacked but was disappointed to find he was not commanding the army that opposed me, he had in fact moved to join a larger force in Hida. I destroyed his army here and will order an attack on Hida when I`m sure there are no other enemy troops lurking in the area to cause any problems in our rear. Word of these two defeats inflicted on my enemy must have reached the ears of the peasant class as the uprising against Lord Shimazu appears to be growing.

Overview
    Things have improved slightly and I`m gearing up to punish Shimazu very soon.

@ Sasaki Kojiro - Kenshin is being sent directly to the front mate and is being given command of my largest forces, his +3 honour bonus is going to do very nicely. With regards to the weather in the first battle of Shinano, it was a fine day.

@ Caravel - Yes I am playing on expert mate, though I usually find that hitting engaged enemies in the backside will still rout all but the hardest enemy troops. The guys my monks hit must have been knackered cos my guys already fighting them were tired and they hadn`t had to march uphill but I barely made a dent. However I didn`t realise untill I just rechecked, I thought I was fighting a rank 2 general, actually it was rank 4. Still I would of expected my monks to cause alot of damage.

@ Adam99 - Pinning him down is the hard thing to do at the moment lol. However all the revolts going on in his territory may really help me in that regard.

@ Patdj - Believe me, I`ve tried mate. I gave up after all my agents kept getting instantly caught and executed lol I`m just going to stick to good old stabbing him in the face

Cheers again guys, I may have another update in a few hours, otherwise it will be tomorrow.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-30-2009 at 00:29.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Doing nicely...a win in Hida and another in totomi and you should be shogun.

UESUGI ~ At Last We Meet

Autumn, 1577 We launched a two-pronged attack on Lord Shimazu in Hida, me from Mino and Kenshin leading the army from Shinano. After apparently accepting our offer of battle, Shimazu Yoshimoto deployed his army but at the last minute withdrew from the field, concious of the terrain, and fearing a possible ambush, Kenshin advised patience. My enemy is fast running out of places to run to, it is only a matter of time, even so, I am getting old now and I wish to see my enemy dead before I leave this world. My spies have since reported that the Shimazu Daimyo is now in Echizen and though he is on the run he still maintains careful control over his forces elsewhere in the region. Proof of this came in an urgent dispatch from Date Teramune, the garrison commander in Shinano. Apparently the fake battle in Hida was just a ploy to keep us occupied whilst his forces in Mikawa launched another attack upon Shinano. Teramune reports that he won a spectacular victory, claiming 1,100 heads for the loss of only 150. I do not believe that my opponent can mount any more attacks for the time being, not from Mikawa anyway as Ieyasu has informed me of his intent to take Mikawa back for his clan, he alsorequested we renew our two clans old alliance. With the Shimazu currently the much larger threat, I have agreed to Ieyasu`s proposal.

Spring, 1578 Well news arrived of a new heir to the Shimazu throne, a boy by the name of Muneharu. I and my ally, Ieyasu, believed that Yoshimoto was childless. It matters not anyway, new blood cannot save the Shimazu now. I sent Kenshin to pacify Etchu, there had been many reports of bandit activity in the province and I did not want these vagrants raiding my provinces whilst my armies are occupied on the frontier. Kenshin reports that the bandits have fled to Noto.

Summer, 1579 I was taken by surprise today, a message arrived by pidgeon from Sado. I am shocked to learn that the garrison there has been defeated by a small conglomeration of pirates and ronin from Noto calling themselves the "Homma" clan. The men there are trapped under siege and have requested immediate assistance. If Sado is lost my heartlands will be wide open to pirate raids and banditry - reinforcements are on route and should arrive in time to relieve the garrison and drive the invaders back into the sea.

Autumn, 1579 Inspired to action by the site of the Uesugi banner flying from ships entering the harbour, the besieged in Sado sallied and combined with the reinforcements on the ships destroyed the Homma invaders. This action was combined with an attack by Kenshin on Noto to destroy the main pirate base. This objective was achieved but not before the pirates themselves were able to board there ships and escape, a fast ship was sent to shadow the enemy flotilla, it reported back to Kenshin a few days later that the pirates had dispersed and landed in various bays along Shimazu`s coastline. They are his problem now.

Autumn, 1580 After a year distracted with minor problems like the pirates etc. I can now return my focus to my enemy in Echizen. I have reinforced my army in Hida and Kenshin has defeated a large Shimazu contingent in Kaga, the remnants are now trapped under siege and will not be able to assist their master when I attack in the coming spring.

Spring, 1581 I am happier than I have been for many years. The attack on Echizen went ahead as planned. Yoshimoto had no choice but to face me.

This was not to be an easy battle, the terrain was perfectly suited to defence and the enemy knew there could be no escape for them. The beast is always more dangerous when cornered. Shimazu deployed his forces with his right flank anchored on some extremely high ground with a perfect view over the field of battle, his other flank was nestled safely in an area of woodland. On the right there was plenty of room for my cavalry to manouver but their bows were less than effective against the cover provided by the trees.

My adversary saw this as more of a threat than I meant it to be and weakened his right flank in response. I didn`t wait for him to realise his mistake and ordered my Warrior Monks to drive the enemy archers off of the high ground. Credit is due to the archers, they held out for a longer time than I thought but in the end the Monks ferocity was too much for them and they fled. Back on the my right, the Cavalry Archers got careless and were ambushed by Yari Cavalry hidden in the woods, most of my mounted troops escaped but casualties were heavy. Not realising he was already too late Lord Shimazu returned to his right flank to stop the rout but he was unsupported and isolated. I saw my chance and took, shouting a charge, I led my Hatamoto into combat with my opposite number and his personal guard. At 67, this was a bone jarring experience to say the least, but exhilirating all the same. Yoshimoto had just finished putting a monk to the sword when he saw me coming, I called to him "Yoshimoto Shimazu Sama, I am Uesugi Tomosada Sama, I am your nemesis. Face me now and die like a man or flee like the dog you are!", he replied "Give it up old man. Surely you are getting too old for this?" I`ll admit I had to stifle a chuckle at this, Yoshimoto was only two years younger then me. "But seeing as you are resolved to die today I will gladly send you on your way into the next life." We immediately set to at one another but i`ll admit it was no spectacular affair, two old men swinging swords at each other is far from glorious. Our men stood by and watched calmly, a sharp intake of breath from one of Yoshimoto`s guards was the only reaction when I put my enemy to the sword. He died without a word.

With Yoshimoto dead his guards immediately asked my men to perform the duty of Second`s for them as they committed Seppuku. My men agreed and happily sent them to meet their master. By now the rest of my army had surrounded the woods and were fighting hard to end the Shimazu resistance. A large group of enemy Samurai broke through the line towards the body of their master, perhaps they wished to recover it or at least die beside their Lord. They didn`t get the chance, before they could get very far they were cut off by my reserves and wiped out.

The day after the battle I got word from Kenshin that the siege in Kaga had been completed and the Shimazu troops there exterminated. There is now no Shimazu force on this half of the island that can threaten me. Now I must track down Muneharu and finish this war once and for all.

Overview
    Yay, Lord Shimazu is dead but annoyingly an heir pops out of the woodwork at the last minute. I`m actually quite enjoying these battles against the Shimazu and I`m looking forward to a few more before the campaign is over. I have no radical plans now, at the moment I just want to find any large Shimazu armies, engage them and destroy them. I havn`t decided yet whether or not to destroy Imagawa. What do you guys think?

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Nicely written.

As for Imagawa I would spare him as long as he is not a major thread and you can control his movements with a reasonable number of garrisons.

UESUGI ~ Winter 1581 - Autumn 1583

Winter, 1581 I have attacked and taken Wakasa from the Shimazu clan. This success was followed by Kenshin removing the rebel army from Mino.

Spring, 1582 Though the war with the Shimazu is going well, I am not convinced that they are about to roll over and die. Therefore, I have sent a small, mounted raiding party heading east into enemy Talima, they are carrying a small supply of pidgeons to carry messages back to me. They are to report enemy troop strengths and where possible, sabotage enemy infastructure whilst also attmepting to locate the Shimazu Daimyo. My son, Masamune has reached manhood and entered service with my army. I have ordered him to Shinano where he will take command of an elite unit of Cavalry Archers, he will also take overall command over the garrison there.

Summer, 1582 Maruoka castle in Wakasa has fallen to my forces.The first message from the raiders reported that they have encountered no enemy forces in Tajima and that they have burned all the farmland they passed on the way to Inaba. The raiding party have once again reported no enemy resistance in Inaba, finding nothing of value worth destroying. They will cross the border into Mimasaka in a few days time.

Autumn, 1582 Another message from the raiders, Mimasaka has suffered greatly under Shimazu rule and the province is mostly burnt out villages. There was no word of Muneharu.

Winter, 1582 Masamune has united the Shinano garrison with reinforcements from Musashi and Kai and has moved to Mino in response to a sudden surge of enemy activity in Owari.

The raiding party has sent a message from Bizen, they have still not encountered any sizable enemy garrisons. They found nothing of value again but they did manage to torch a line of borderforts.

Spring, 1583 The raiders passed through Sanuki without incident and are heading to Iyo.

Summer, 1583 The raiders report great success in Shikoku, a mine was burnt out in Iyo and they put most of the provinces farmland to the torch. With no enemy garrisons at all on the island they are operating with a free hand. I have ordered them to take a ship to Kyushu and report to me immediately upon landing. Still no word of Shimazu Muneharu.

Autumn, 1583 Well there has been no word from the raiders for over a month now, I can only assume they have been caught and/or killed. However, I now know the location of Muneharu - he has taken command of the forces in Owari. Though I wish to bring a speedy conclusion to this war by killing Muneharu, I am not going to mount any serious attempt to attack the province as it is perfectly suited for defensive warfare. I have attacked Omi whilst Kenshin and Masamune move into Owari. They have been ordered not to press for a battle, only to keep the Shimazu forces from leaving to support Omi.

My forward scouts first caught sight of the enemy army at around midday and immediately began harrassing them as they deployed to intercept our main army. Screened by the trees, the Cavalry Archers were able to inflict significant damage to the elements in the rear of the shimazu force whilst sustaing few casualties from the return fire.

With men dropping like flies and with no light cavalry to counter my mounted units, the enemy Taisho decided on a tactical withdrawal. This is a tricky operation in the best of times, but with my Cavalry so close it ended up as a full scale rout.

We have now almost completely surrounded Owari. Mino was attacked by a small party of Shimazu samurai that crept across the mountains but they were practically wiped out by a single unit of Cavalry Archers. My defenders took 230 heads and lost only 10 men themselves.

Overview
    Though it looks like Shimazu is surrounded I am fully expecting him to run for it to another province when I attack Owari. I`m gonna build up a little more in Mino as if he does stay and fight I can expect heavy casualties from crossing the bridges. If he does stay and I kill him, I`ll take Yamashiro before finishing off the Imagawa.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Raiding is so much fun... you get to trash his buildings and get koku from it.
    The attack in Owari may not be so bad - the AI often gets very confused by the two bridges.

That geisha is out there. She can't be bargained with. She can't be reasoned with. She doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And she absolutely will not stop, ever, until you and all your heirs are dead.

I agree :) I actually forgot to mention that it was you that gave me the idea mate. Cheers!
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-31-2009 at 14:24.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

It's been my experience that the AI will attack the right bridge (on your right as defender). It tends to defend the right bridge (on your right as attacker) while keeping the bulk of its armies back on the hill until you begin to cross.

I dunno if any of you have experienced the bug where AI troops get hung up on the buildings in the center of the map when attacking?!? If so, there is a modified map available where those buildings are removed. Nothing worse than losing a battle where the troops just sit staring at each other across the river
    High Plains Drifter

That's good news! I play with the timer on so I just wait till it runs out but I'd like to have the map in any case.

edit:The map is in the "nobunaga's ambition" campaign hosted on the org if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 01-31-2009 at 22:32.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

Yep.....that's the one. I don't play with the timer, so up until I found that map, I had to cross a few units over to attack the AI troops to get them moving. A royal PITA.......
    High Plains Drifter

Blog Entries

Great fights you've had, It would be nice to see some faction other than shimazu at the end, but there in such a good position it isnt that possible, and there rebellion must have ruined there income, i have no doubts that you'll win

You may however want to use your leader more sparingly, had a force cut you off at mino he could of been in danger.

I`m not worried about losing my Daimyo mate, I have an heir and spare

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    I`m not worried about losing my Daimyo mate, I have an heir and spare
    well it may do you a favor if he dies come to think of it, doesn't your next leader have a 6 command

Yeah, Uesugi Kenshin is the current heir. However, it looks like my current Daimyo will be Shogun at the age of 72! I`ll let you know tomorrow

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Great stuff. Just keep him pinned in Owari and go raiding, see if they try to break out, if not steam in there.

UESUGI ~ Battle of Owari Summer 1584

Spring, 1584 I have been forced to abandon Omi province in the face of a truly massive Shimazu incursion. I couldn`t risk being isolated so far from reinforcements and so I moved to Mino to link up with Kenshin.

Summer,1584 With the Shimazu forces building in Omi, Owari was left weakened and we sensed the time was right for an attack. Kenshin and Masamune led most of our forces in the invasion whilst I remained behind to defend Mino against a possible attack from Omi. After a little persuasion I was able to gain assistance in this endeavour from Lord Imagawa, who promised to personally lead a force of his most elite Samurai to support us. I granted overall command for this particular campaign to Masamune.

Owari is always a tricky proposition when attacking. There is a river which no would-be conquerer can avoid crossing if they wish to gain access to the heart of the province. Masamune moved along the north bank looking for somewhere his army could cross, all the while being shadowed by the Shimazu defenders on the opposite bank. After a weeks march a suitable location was found where two major bridges cross the river only a couple of hundred metres apart. Crossing here would make it more difficult for the Shimazu as they would have to secure both bridges and so be forced to react to our moves. Masamune waited a day for the Imagawa force to arrive then began his attack with a an attack across the lefthand bridge with Cavalry Archers. Moving quicker than the enemy could respond they were able to cross unhindered. Almost immediately things began to go wrong. The cavalry were ordered to move out on the extreme left of the Shimazu line, through the trees along that flank and make a long loop around to the rear of the enemy, unfortunately Lord Shimazu must have suspected a move like this and had hidden his most elite skirmishers in the very same woods - the cavalry rode into an ambush.

Seeing the cavalry in trouble, Masamune ordered an immediate assault with his infantry and they hurled themselves across the bridge. By now Lord Shimazu had placed a sizeable force of his own infantry to block any such move. Our Warrior Monks and No-Dachi impacted upon the Shimazu Naginata blocking the bridge exit. Masamune made the mistake of committing almost all the infantry at his disposal to this attack leaving only a single unit of Naginata to provide a covering force if the attack foundered. Fairly soon it was obvious that the attack had failed. Lord Imagawa saw this and tried to rescue the situation, he crossed the bridge behind our men and tried to organise a withdrawal but he was struck from his saddle by an arrow and killed instantly. This caused our men to panic and they all fled back across to our side.

Seeing their Lord cut down the Imagawa Samurai went berserk, flying across the bridge through our fleeing troops, they made contact with the enemy and stopped them counter-attacking our position.

However, they fared little better than our own troops serving only to now draw Lord Shimazu into an attack, and into range of our own archers who began to take a large tally of enemy warriors. Masamune had been able to rally our infantry and now had them positioned ready to receive the charge. Masamune himself had to move swiftly to the bridge on his right flank with a force of archers to repel a second Shimazu crossing there.

Both of the Shimazu attacks on the bridges were repulsed and the enemy suffered greatly for it. With our army now in tatters, and with a fresh wave of enemy reinforcements coming over the horizon, Kenshin advised Masamune to order the retreat. This was done, though Masamune took all remaing Cavalry Archers back across the bridge to disrupt the approaching enemy for as long as possible so our troops could leave unhindered.

Masamune stayed untill all their arrows were used up then rejoined the army heading back to Mino. Though we were defeated we had destroyed a large chunk of the Shimazu`s most powerful army, the enemy certainly would not be strong enough to mount any attacks of their own for some time now. A short time after the battle I received a message from Nobuyasu, the Imagawa Daimyo, informing me that he was now the new master of the clan and that he would continue to offer his clan`s support in our ongoing struggle.

Overview
    Huge battle tonnes of casualties, more than I was expecting, and the Shimazu Daimyo slipped through my fingers. Anyways, I`ll attack again as soon as I have reinforcements. But the rest of the campaign looks pretty straight forward - keep attacking untill he has no one left then squish Imagawa.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 02-06-2009 at 23:10.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Unlucky with the CA getting ambushed, but thats a chunk of Shimazu's army gone, guess it depends how easily he can get replacements in. Maybe try hitting him in Owari every couple of seasons.

UESUGI ~ Battle of Mino

Winter, 1584 I did not believe the Shimazu had the strength to launch an attack upon us so soon after the mauling in Owari during the summer, but attacked us they have.

The speed of the enemy`s attack took me off guard. I just managed to get the army into position to block the Shimazu advance in time to meet the first elements of my opponents army, led by Lord Shimazu himself.

After some vicous fighting all along my front line, Lord Shimazu was able to push me off of the defendable position but in doing so he drove himself further and further into my own ranks. I had suffered massive casualties by this point but I had my enemy surrounded and he had not realised his own supporting infantry had fled the field. With death rapidly approaching, the Shimazu Daimyo fought like a wild beast and was eventually able to hack his way free, his remaining bodyguards staying behind to delay my own troops with nearby archers covering his escape.

In the distance I could see Shimazu reinforcemenys emerging through the snow. Encouraged by the sight of my own reinforcements moving up behind our line, my men forgot their weariness and wounds and retook their previous position blocking the Shimazu army. What followed was a long drawn out slaughter as two immovable objects ground each other into dust. In the end the weather began to worsen and night slowly crept over the horizon. The Shimazu commanders still on the field decided to disengage and head home, we lacked the strength or inclination to follow.

The days was ours but my men had paid a heavy price and Lord Shimazu had slipped through my grasp once again. His good fortune cannot last forever.

Overview
    It`s been a little while since the last update, sorry about that - I`ve been busy at work Sorry again for this being such a short one too. Anyways, another big battle with tonnes of carnage and another close shave for the Shimazu. I still have plenty of forces in the area so I`m going to hit Owari again with everything I have next season, hopefully Shimazu will not survive.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

I wish you good luck.

In comparison to the Shimazu I fought when being Hojo yours is a really tough one.

They can't have that many men surely, presumably they've put down the rebellions and have shipped men over, another couple of battles like that should bleed them dry.

UESUGI ~ None Can Dispute the Dominance of Our Clan Spring 1586

Spring, 1585 Kenshin, with the promise of support from Lord Imagawa launched a final all out attack on Owari. His objective was to destroy the Shimazu army and kill the enemy Daimyo - we could not afford to allow him to escape with his army once again. Kenshin crossed the border into Owari province totally unnopposed, the Shimazu obviously thinking to stop us at the river once more. It was there we were to rendevous with our Allies, however our forward scouts found no sign of the promised support, only the full force of the Shimazu clan waiting across the river.

They were deployed directly between the two main bridges so as to easily defend against any effort Kenshin would make on either crossing. With no signs of previous battle to account for the disappearance of our allies, and scouts reporting no sign of another army for miles around Kenshin realised we had been betrayed by Lord Imagawa. My "ally" had obviously hedged his bets on the Shimazu destroying my army in Owari. This was confirmed when a detachment from Mino arrived informing Kenshin that a combined Shimazu and Imagawa force had taken the Mino garrison by surprise. With his route back home cut off and the only way to go being forward, Kenshin decided to go ahead with an immediate attack. To achieve this he divided his forces into two equal groups. The left flank commanded by him personally would be the main assault wing and comprised all the armies elite Warrior Monks and No-Dachi swordsmen, and was supported by half of the Archers and one unit of Yari Samurai. The other wing on the right flank was comprised of the remaining infantry, five units of Yari Samurai and the rest of the Archers. Kenshin started the attack on the right and ordered the spearmen across the bridge. Reacting as expected, Lord Shimazu committed a massive chunk of his army to defend on his left, our right. Seeing Lord Shimazu falling into his trap Kenshin ordered the left wing to advance across the left bridge, screened by another unit of spearmen. A small enemy detachment was able to react to this move on the left but was hit with a withering fire from the archers covering the crossing then torn to shreds by the Monks and Swordsmen.

The vast bulk of the Shimazu army was now caught in the middle of a classic pincer movement. A few enemy troops towards the rear of their formation were able to escape the coming destruction but the rest honourably stood their ground.

Realising the result was now a foregone conclusion, the Shimazu Lord attempted to extricate himself from the battle before Kenshin`s left and right wings completely encircled his army. Seeing their lord panicked, all sense of order disentegrated within the enemy ranks as they attempted to join him in flight.

My enemy, Lord Shimazu was unable to escape, his body being found on the field impaled like a pincushion. The remnants of his army were able to flee to the docks and take their ships back to Kyushu.

They no longer concern me, with no clear successor to lead the clan the senior Shimazu commanders will soon begin to sqauble amongst themselves. The only thing standing in my way to the Shogunate is the betrayer, Lord Imagawa..

Spring, 1586 We held off on the attack for a year, all the while refusing to meet a steady stream of Imagawa diplomats, desperate to sue for peace. Once the army had secured everything in Owari and I ordered Kenshin to move into Mikawa and evict the Imagawa army there.

The small enemy army was able to block Kenshin`s advance at a river crossing just inside the border. Not wishing to waste any time, my heir ordered an immediate attack across the bridge to brush aside the insignificant enemy force.

The Imagawa commander realised he would not be able to stop such a juggernaut and tried to retreat to his castle but was caught on the fly. He was able to mount a small delaying action so some of his troops could escape but he was soon killed, achieving only a small delay in Kenshins advance.

Whilst Kenshin was fighting in Mikawa, I personally led our army in Shinano in an attack upon Lord Imagawa in his heartland of Totomi.

It didn`t take long to find the Imagawa army. They deployed in a long line across from us along the route of my advance. The chosen battlefield was pretty flat with no features of any particular tactical importance. My enemy had obviously decided to resolve our encounter with a straight up fight to the death. Our armies were quite similar in composition though I could count on a large detachment of Heavy Cavalry. I deployed directly in front of the enemy line and ordered my Cavalry into an immediate charge on the enemy`s right flank.

With no cavalry of his own to counter mine, Lord Imagawa ordered his entire army to charge across the field, after loosing a volley from my archers, I too ordered the charge.

The resulting melee was vicious indeed, afterall, the Imagawa Samurai had resolved to die fighting, defending their homeland. In the end we had to kill every last one of them, Lord Imagawa himself being one of the last to fall. It was just a pity that their Lord could not of displayed the same kind of honour in life as his men showed going to their deaths.

With on one left to oppose me, it was not even necassary to march to Kyoto. The Emperor sent a herald to congratulate me on my victories over my enemies and to invite me to take up the post of Shogun. I humbly accepted, the destiny of Japan would now be guided by my hand.

Overview
    Wahey! Apologies for the slow progress with this compared to the Oda campaign but work has been consuming most of my time recently. Anyways, I found Uesugi to actually be quite tough in the early stages but in the end a little easy compared to Oda which was a real challenge from start to finish.
    Anyways, I hope you have all enjoyed this as much as my last cmapaign. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 02-17-2009 at 00:43.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast