Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screenshot

Default Re: Screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me, but those look like cuirasseurs to me. I can clearly see the brass helmet with horsehair and the cuirasse. I'd say one has drawn pistols while the other is drawn swords or exhausted ammo, but they both look like cuirasseurs. The one next to the second cuirasseur (with the three-corner hat) does look like a dragoon unit.
    Look alot like a dragoon unit, and their is no cuirasse as far as I can tell, just some deceptive white lining on the coat of the unit.

As I already stated two posts above, I think it can be explained by the ability of dragoons to be used as dismounted infantry with carbines, and a mounted regular cavalry.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    Yes, they are indeed dragoons, I believe they differ in that certain respect because one unit is dismounted, thus the ammo level, and one is still playing the role of cavalry, thus no ammo level as it would be impossoble to shoot from the saddle.
    Yeah, I think you're right. If you look at the screenshot there appears to be a unit of horses with no banner above and no one is riding 'em.

Are those 2 units of Colonial Cuirassiers in the first picture? Did they even have such a unit?
    First unit is Generals Bodyguard which doesn't have a cuirass, next 2 cavalry units are dragoons, next is a standard regiment of horse.
    Yes, they are indeed dragoons, I believe they differ in that certain respect because one unit is dismounted, thus the ammo level, and one is still playing the role of cavalry, thus no ammo level as it would be impossoble to shoot from the saddle.
    Bingo.

And yes artillery do not have an ammo limit.
    Last edited by Jack Lusted; 01-29-2009 at 10:29.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Aha. Yeah, that would make sense. Thanks for the clarification, JL.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Thanks TosaInu for the fabulous screen shots.

And Thanks Jack for the explanations.

I have a couple of questions if someone cares to guess…

Are the units in Buckskins in the first shot Frontier Riflemen or just American Militia?

What type of unit are the Spaniards in the Slouch Hats and not ammo restrictions?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Are the units in Buckskins in the first shot Frontier Riflemen or just American Militia?
    Long Rifle Men.

What type of unit are the Spaniards in the Slouch Hats and not ammo restrictions?
    Pikemen
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Excellent information Jack, thanks!

Also it's good to know that pikemen still make an appearence in game.

No ammo limit for artillery eh? Exellent! Now I can blow things up to my hearts content.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

@ third screenshot.

Droll... on... my keyboard...

Like Homer. sweet. Am I imagining things, battle distances have been at least doubled?
    Last edited by Martok; 01-29-2009 at 19:57. Reason: Swearing, OT/inappropriate comment

Wow! Thank you so kindly Jack! Especially for such a speedy reply!

Mark Twain

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Praxil View Post
    @ third screenshot.

Droll... on... my keyboard...

Like Homer. sweet. Am I imagining things, battle distances have been at least doubled?
    I was just thinking that. Those mini-maps cover a huge area.

And those water effects, beautiful.
    Last edited by Martok; 01-29-2009 at 20:00. Reason: Edited quote

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Ok; above the right hand artillery flag, on the first rise on the opposition’s side, is a lone horse with a rider. Is that a white horse, or an appaloosa?

This is so cool!

Great job Tosa, and thanks Jack
    Last edited by Tomisama; 01-29-2009 at 13:45.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Quote Originally Posted by pdoyle007 View Post
    The artillery units do not appear to have an ammunition level, does this mean unlimited ammo for your artillery? (see rockets and cannons on screen 1)

Also on the third ('SPAIN') screenshot there are two units on the bottom row, I presume dragoons, same unit card, one with an ammo level and one without?
    I think one of the units is dismounted....doesnt explain the ammo bars though...
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    I think one of the units is dismounted....doesnt explain the ammo bars though...
    Well it does, because they can’t load and fire from horseback and don’t have the bar when mounted.

Mark Twain

One question about those large maps - are these taken from an MP game, or from a battle fought during the SP campaign? I'm pretty sure in M2TW that the MP maps were bigger than those you fought on during the SP games.

I'm so glad I'm looking at this thread at work and not on my gaming computer. I think my poor graphics card would have a fit if I were to show it the instruments of torture to which I will be subjecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted
    And yes artillery do not have an ammo limit.
    Excellent news! While it seems a little unrealistic to have cannons which can keep firing indefinitely (or until they explode), it's definitely better than the situation in TWs past, where I would find myself having to abandon sieges because my artilllery had run out of ammo. Would it not make sense for my gun crews to be able to bring up more ammunition faster than the defenders can rebuild their walls, or even better, for my gunners to simply stock up a massive pile of cannonballs before the assault?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    I suppose the cavalry or in quite neat ranks, but the formation may loosen once they get moving.

It was much more common that you might think for Galleons to be around, especially during the early 1700's. Galleons, Caravels and other old styles stuck around in the form of old ships and even some new ones built in the old style. It makes sense for pirates to be using outdated technology, they couldn't afford newer, sleeker designs.
    Indeed Sir Beane, I am aware of that. I know that many robust and sturdy older ships were still available in the early 18th century, but lets face it, if you were a pirate...would you be using such an old and slow vessel when you could have a sloop or a xebeq?

Another interesting detail i noticed on the spanish army screenshot is the dismounted cavalry unit horses lying there on the right side of the screen.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

In the third screenshot on the right we can see a unit of riderless horses, presumably those from the dragoons. I must say that they've been incredibly well trained to say in formation even without a rider.

Also I notice that the pirate symbol being used in the second screenshot is the Jolly Rodger of 'Calico' Jack Rackham. It's one of the better pirate flags, in my opinion, good choice CA! I wonder if we might see a variety of flags for pirates?

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Thumbs up Re: Screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I was just thinking that. Those mini-maps cover a huge area.
    Jack Lusted explained a while back in some forgotten thread how the battlemap's dimensions were to be extended by a considerable amount. I suppose we are now witnessing the fruits of that labour. And they look like pretty tasty fruit, too...

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I wonder if ammo limits for arty can be modded in...

This thread worries me a little.

I only get all three shots to load about 1 of 4 tries…I hope it is the connection…and not my machine…

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    This thread worries me a little.

I only get all three shots to load about 1 of 4 tries…I hope it is the connection…and not my machine…
    It's probably being caused by either your connection or by high traffic, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree with the others who have mentioned the size of the new battlemaps. But we have to remember, it isn't the size of CA's battlemaps, it's how they use them. Until we get a demonstration of their huge battlemaps in action I don't think any of us will be truly satisfied.

(All innuendo in the previous sentance was entirely intentional)

Going purely by the screenshots however the battlemap looks not only larger but also more varied and more 'real' than previous battlemaps.

Great stuff!
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 01-29-2009 at 19:31.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

This thread reminds me that not only do I love this game, but that my comp. needs another gig of RAM. I'll probably blow $200 or so updating my comp. for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnMon View Post
    This thread reminds me that not only do I love this game, but that my comp. needs another gig of RAM. I'll probably blow $200 or so updating my comp. for this game.
    I bought an £800 brand new PC so I could play Empire properly.

It will all be worth it though, once I boot it up and see the thing in action.

This game had better not suck! Please don't let it suck CA.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

I bought an £800 brand new PC so I could play Empire properly.

It will all be worth it though, once I boot it up and see the thing in action.

This game had better not suck! Please don't let it suck CA.
    I was gonning to buy a brand new gaming laptop, so i could play for longer with out missus getting mad at me.

"are you coming down for lunch"

"why yes i am" [with my latop in hand ETW still running]
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

Quote Originally Posted by batemonkey View Post
    I was gonning to buy a brand new gaming laptop, so i could play for longer with out missus getting mad at me.

"are you coming down for lunch"

"why yes i am" [with my latop in hand ETW still running]
    Hahah! Don't get too carried away with that though, or we could be seeing some interesting newspaper headlines.

"Local Man Leaves Wife For Videogame!"

The best thing to do is try and get her into the game as well, that way she'll understand.

Of course then she might end up taking over your laptop and ignoring you for the game.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

I hope I can squeek by with my current computer, but I think I will need a better vid card at least. I am close to needing a completely new system so I may bite the bullet and buy a new one. If the game is as good as I hope it is, a new comp will be worth it.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    I hope I can squeek by with my current computer, but I think I will need a better vid card at least. I am close to needing a completely new system so I may bite the bullet and buy a new one. If the game is as good as I hope it is, a new comp will be worth it.
    My advice would be to play the demo and see how well your system holds out before commiting the money to buy a new one. Of course if the demo is good enough you might just want to buy a new system anway.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by 777Ares777 View Post
    The Spanish one looks especially authentic, the mini map has lots of detail and textures in it, if the game is to be released in March, if there is to be a demo it should come out imminently, well we can hope that it does.
    Also the battle speed is interesting, it looks like you can have half time as well as pause, incredible visuals too naturally.
    Most people don't know this but in M2TW you can go all the way down to .1 speed. Yup you can have .1,.2,.3.4 , etc and even do 1.1 speed. It is somewhat amusing to play at .1 speed and watch a cannon ball or musket shot to fly through the air till they hit their target.

Anyways AWESOME screen shots. I upgraded mainly for this game but some other games too.

Question Re: Screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by Belgolas
    Most people don't know this but in M2TW you can go all the way down to .1 speed. Yup you can have .1,.2,.3.4 , etc and even do 1.1 speed. It is somewhat amusing to play at .1 speed and watch a cannon ball or musket shot to fly through the air till they hit their target.
    How?

My advice would be to play the demo and see how well your system holds out before commiting the money to buy a new one. Of course if the demo is good enough you might just want to buy a new system anway.

That's the plan.

Megas, I think it is holding down Shift and clicking on the - button for speed. I loved this feature and desperately hope that ETW has something similar. I always have thought that the slowest speed in TW games was a bit too fast.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast