Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Left 4 Dead

Default Re: Left 4 Dead

Mattst is my steam name (creative, I know).

This game is amazing, though I can see how I might start to get tired of the 4 campaigns after a while. Hopefully the SDK will be out before that happens.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

VehoNex and I did some games last night. Crazy fun, especially versus!

Add your steamID if you are up for games. better yet join the .org's ETW MP Steam Group! You can hang out and play L4d until ETW hits then we can hit MP.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-16-2009 at 16:25.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I take it you guys would probably recommend this game, then?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    I wouldn't- since you asked.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would, especially for $25. The mindless hordes popping up from bathtubs aren't too bothersome, for me, at least.

Nice graphics too.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

$25 is a good, fair price for the game, or at least if you can play with friends.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    $25 is a good, fair price for the game, or at least if you can play with friends.
    Yeah, I'd concede that $25 isn't bad- I definitely don't think $50 is a fair price for a limited multiplayer only game. Team Fortress 2 has varied classes, varied gameplay modes, ect and it only cost $20 when it first came out. Left4Dead has no classes outside of boss zombies and less gameplay modes- I don't see any justification for a $50 price tag. As long as it's discounted though, it's not bad.

I still won't be getting it, for peeves I mentioned earlier, but for most people those complaints probably won't stick in their craw the way it does mine.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

played a game with Monk and Crazed a little bit ago. Tons of fun, I'd recomend it.

Plus I got to see if we can get a video of the final ambush we did. It was a classic.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Blog Entries

Yup, it was a great zombie ambush. Took out the entire batch of survivors in less than a minute.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Must...buy...for....$25...or whatever the equivilant amount in AUD is.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    In the strongest possible language..... but only if you have friends to play with (or wouldn't mind playing online). As Mongoose said, with bots it gets old surprisingly fast.

By the way, is it just me, or does Louis get pounced a lot more than, say, Francis does? No matter who is controlling Louis, the avatar seems to be a Hunter/Smoker magnet. I wonder if it's a sly commentary on the survival rate of black people in monster movies.
    Last edited by Quirinus; 02-17-2009 at 13:25.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Blog Entries

Aggh, I had to reformat and now steam won't realise that I have an unpatched version of Left 4 Dead sitting here. I don't want to redownload the entire thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus View Post
    In the strongest possible language..... but only if you have friends to play with (or wouldn't mind playing online). As Mongoose said, with bots it gets old surprisingly fast.

By the way, is it just me, or does Louis get pounced a lot more than, say, Francis does? No matter who is controlling Louis, the avatar seems to be a Hunter/Smoker magnet. I wonder if it's a sly commentary on the survival rate of black people in monster movies.
    Actually i've noticed when ever im playing as Zoey, Im the magnet. Luis is the one who tries to save me and dies in the process
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Had a lot of fun playing versus tonight guys!

/dang ambush tanks though...

I liked my chuck around the fancy stuff ability as a tank.

Hey, guys we've been having a versus match around 9-11 pm pacific lately. If you want in we're always inviting to fill the slots. Usually we're left with 4-6 by the end of the campaign so if you want to play just join the steam group.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    I liked my chuck around the fancy stuff ability as a tank.

Hey, guys we've been having a versus match around 9-11 pm pacific lately. If you want in we're always inviting to fill the slots. Usually we're left with 4-6 by the end of the campaign so if you want to play just join the steam group.
    Next time Veho. *shakes fist*

Can't believe how many tanks spawns we got, there was one every chapter. Was neck and neck until people started dropping :\

Blog Entries

Im looking to be in there tomorrow guys!

edit: Make that friday! No silly 4gig download for me!
    Last edited by pevergreen; 02-18-2009 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Next time Veho. *shakes fist*

Can't believe how many tanks spawns we got, there was one every chapter. Was neck and neck until people started dropping :\
    yeah neck and neck till i flung that generator into the elevator

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Darn, I missed the game.

I'm not really in a group, but the Left For Dead forum i visit has a fairly active community and the mods set up a server and we try to organize fun, laid back, alltalk turned on games for non-annoying members. They do it for XBOX and PC. It's a nice break from the serious hardcore teams you get sometimes in random lobbies. TBH, some of them are horrible players, but its all good fun.

SteamID: ColonBurns, i change my handle all the time though.

I recommend PC not XBOX for anyone pondering the purchase, XBOX still hasnt updated or done a first patch.

And if you guys are really nice I'll share my 2 smoker insta-kill spots with you (and no, its not NM rooftop). It always makes my team mad when I get the smoker on this level and try to get them all to run far ahead with me, they all want to do an immediate ambush in an obvious spot and I go to my spot because I dont want to respawn and not be the smoker. They stop being mad when I killz a player (50% they are just incapped, tho, I thibk the insta kill only works if they are low on health, although it may be the angle i pull, I really need to test this with live players)

And BTW that ambush outside the elevator: if you move it over to their left, by the edge, you can knock them over the edge to hang if you blow up and they are too close. Gotta be careful though because that little room there has thin walls and they can shoot you through them if you dont go to other side or hide behind the pallet. You can also come from inside the elevator after they leave if you can distract them all in the front. This is assuming you don't have the tank, cuz you are right, for forklift in the elevator kills, especially if you can boom them first

PS Boomer crouching is gosh darn funny as hell to behold
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 02-19-2009 at 06:50.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Watching tanks fall down 28 flights of stairs is funy

As a hunter I miss all the time on NM 4 after the elevator and fall to my death. I actually hate being hunter the most, and reserve myself to either just running up and meleeing for 10 pts of damage if I can't find some fire to light myself aflame. Occassionally I'll get a 25 pt pounce, even better when im on fire, but 90% of the time I miss. I also like to play distraction and ping pong hop between walls and canyons, I'm actually better at that than landing a pounce, that way the other infected can hit them while they are trying to shoot me out of the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    As a hunter I miss all the time on NM 4 after the elevator and fall to my death. I actually hate being hunter the most, and reserve myself to either just running up and meleeing for 10 pts of damage if I can't find some fire to light myself aflame. Occassionally I'll get a 25 pt pounce, even better when im on fire, but 90% of the time I miss. I also like to play distraction and ping pong hop between walls and canyons, I'm actually better at that than landing a pounce, that way the other infected can hit them while they are trying to shoot me out of the sky
    Hunter is the twitch class of the infected. Half the challenge is flipping around and pouncing in a seperate direction if you miss them the frst time. Take me for example, I rarely hit on the first pounce but as long as I wasn't hit with a melee I can bounce around and severely confuse a survivor.

While I am repositioning and essentially pouncing circles around him, maybe he panics shoots a teammate while trying to hit me. Hunter is my favorite right up there with boomer. As the boomer you're the architect of the ambush, nail them with bile and watch your teammates capitalize. That is insanely gratifying to me.

Still haven't mastered the Smoker, getting better though.

Blog Entries

Bah, the guy couldn't get me the files. Gotta wait until tuesday now!

Just had a very narrow escape on Death Toll - we were all bleeding to death, but we got to the dock early so we all made it on to the boat. There was a brief moment where things looked doubtful for the guy playing as Louis when he got pounced by a hunter and mobbed by about 8 zombies, but we shot them off of him and so he ended up being OK.

This was only on normal, but I tend to have a lot of trouble surviving the endings so it was an accomplishment for me at least.

PS - this was also one of the first times that I was on a team that actually used the explosives well. Propane tanks, gas tanks, etc. They make everything a lot easier, not to mention more fun...
    Last edited by Mongoose; 02-21-2009 at 01:51.

How weird, I joined a friends normal death toll game and a third player said he had never been on a team that used explosives. I don't remember his name because I was drunk, ziggy or ziglar or something.

Blog Entries

Alright. I got a custom spray and a working mic.

My steam ID is the same as my Org name, FYI.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Blog Entries

Double post, sorry.

Anyways, I just finished a very exciting Death Toll campaign on advanced. It was all going swimmingly until the finale, when the first tank killed one of us. We survived and the second tank came. We were all crammed in the downstairs bathroom. I decided to get out and go upstairs. The tank and a horde came in. I shot at the tank, but it went for my teammates, still hunkered in the bathroom. The horde was killed but the tank incapped them. I ran up behind the tank with the autoshotty and started blasting, but to no avail. They were killed. And the tank was still alive. So I ran.

I was running back past the covered picnic area and I noticed a gas tank lying on the ground. So I crouched with my pistols and waited for the tank to come. It came, I shot and the gas tank exploded. Then I ran some more, around the other side of the picnic building to the shore. The tank was still coming at me, on fire. I unloaded into it and it went down.

I breathed a sigh of relief and made for the dock like a bat out of hell. I crouched at the end and saw the horde come. I could hear hunters and smokers and knew I was doomed if they got me. I got one hunter with my pistol, then used my shotgun to clear the dock as the horde ran towards me. But there were more right behind them. Right as the first zombies reached me, the boat had arrived and I lept on.

My adrenaline was up and I breathed a deep sigh of relief.

The most exciting game I've played so far.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Double post, sorry.

Anyways, I just finished a very exciting Death Toll campaign on advanced. It was all going swimmingly until the finale, when the first tank killed one of us. We survived and the second tank came. We were all crammed in the downstairs bathroom. I decided to get out and go upstairs. The tank and a horde came in. I shot at the tank, but it went for my teammates, still hunkered in the bathroom. The horde was killed but the tank incapped them. I ran up behind the tank with the autoshotty and started blasting, but to no avail. They were killed. And the tank was still alive. So I ran.

I was running back past the covered picnic area and I noticed a gas tank lying on the ground. So I crouched with my pistols and waited for the tank to come. It came, I shot and the gas tank exploded. Then I ran some more, around the other side of the picnic building to the shore. The tank was still coming at me, on fire. I unloaded into it and it went down.

I breathed a sigh of relief and made for the dock like a bat out of hell. I crouched at the end and saw the horde come. I could hear hunters and smokers and knew I was doomed if they got me. I got one hunter with my pistol, then used my shotgun to clear the dock as the horde ran towards me. But there were more right behind them. Right as the first zombies reached me, the boat had arrived and I lept on.

My adrenaline was up and I breathed a deep sigh of relief.

The most exciting game I've played so far.

CR
    Going solo is the most exhilarating experience to be had in l4d. Everyone's dead and it's you vs horde. Toss a molotov and pray you can snipe down any smokers or hunters if they get you...

Imo, the versus mode is where the fun is at.
    Great game.

It's 1 am CST and i am lit up on bourban....time to kill soem zombies

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast