Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Left 4 Dead

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Default Left 4 Dead

I absolutely, positively love this game.

The online lobbies and server searches leave a little to be desired, but the sheer brutality of some of the Vs games is fun fun fun. Never played team fortress or counterstrike btw

Early on the game actually made me jump on a lot of occasions, and in Vs mode the maps in the woods genuinely terrify me when I am on the human team and I find myself friendly firing people a lot more because I am jumpy.

I guess what I like most about the game is how the survivor team can be doing so well and then suddenly it all goes down hill so quick, so horrible, just a total complete trainwreck
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Left 4 Dead

Apart from the fixes that need to happen, great game
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

They released a patch that fixed a lot of things about a week ago, namely tank and witch spawns are the same for each team (which can give advantage to team that plays survivors second, but hey its better than the crap where one team would get a tank and a witch and the other get nothing at all)

also fixed were hotkey melee spam with weapon switch
    smokers do more damage
    lots of other crap too

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Yeah, good fun. Mindless killing.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    They released a patch that fixed a lot of things about a week ago, namely tank and witch spawns are the same for each team (which can give advantage to team that plays survivors second, but hey its better than the crap where one team would get a tank and a witch and the other get nothing at all)

also fixed were hotkey melee spam with weapon switch
    smokers do more damage
    lots of other crap too
    They fix the impossible spawns? I'm sure it's petty to some, but I could never get over how zombies could spawn out of thin air into rooms with no doors or windows.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

no there are still magical spawns that come on trigger events like crescendos, car alarms and boomer bile, otherwise people would just move methodically through killing every last zombie in order to avoid hordes on trigger events. Of course, methodically killing all zombies you see will still help decrease the overall number of horde on triggers, but the magic spawns are still there.

Also, the game seems to take spawns that are already there before new spawns, and move those spawns closer to the target (server discrepency of course) for example if your team gets vomited on 10x on a map by the time you get to the last gauntlet there will be no zombies in your path because they have all worked their way towards you over the course of the game on each trigger.

The algorithm for the zombies appears to be such that they can reach you no matter what, via passable walls and invisible zombie ladders and micheal jordan jumps. but if u have ever been in a room as an infected when someone gets puked on and there is no meandering horde to hit them, then just as you said a big mob of zombies appear out of thin air in a spot unseen and/or unreachable by survivors and the party is on. No mercy level 1, just past the kitchen on the right theres a wall with a hidden room, no zombies in there unless a trigger is hit, then they spawn and come busting through the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    They fix the impossible spawns? I'm sure it's petty to some, but I could never get over how zombies could spawn out of thin air into rooms with no doors or windows.
    Haha, especially funny having them spawn out from a bathtub.
    #Hillary4prism

One of the best games of 2008. Can't wait for the two new downloadable campaigns I hear are gonna be released.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'd love to be able to download the patch.

Sounds greeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

awesome game.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: Left 4 Dead

It is a mindless shooter.

Last edited by Papewaio; 02-09-2009 at 07:59.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

It's actually very teamwork oriented, on both sides, but more so as survivors. But yes, it is a mindless shooter, which is a nice break from RPGs, MMOs, SIMS and RTS. In other words, it takes up a lot less of my time to play and have fun and if you are having a bad session then quit and no harm done.

That being said, time for scotch and zombies. aaaaah, i love being on vacation......

Wink Re: Left 4 Dead

I love the game, it is great. And I play it on the projector with my brother-in-law when ever I get the chance... which is rare as my 3 year old will take me away because he thinks it is too scary for me to play.

But I think you missed the joke in zombies being mindless.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    It is a mindless shooter.

O-ho! I see what you did there.

I love the game, it is great. And I play it on the projector with my brother-in-law when ever I get the chance... which is rare as my 3 year old will take me away because he thinks it is too scary for me to play.
    Tank music is scary, he has reason to flee!

I love L4D. I've only had it about a week or two but it's easily become one of my favorite shooters. The amount of teamwork that is stressed makes for a really good game. Unless you get folks who think its funny to shoot you on purpose. Then it becomes time to shoot people in the face!

I can't wait for the new Survival Mode that's coming soon.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-10-2009 at 00:35.

Wink Re: Left 4 Dead

He doesn't flee, he comes into the room (at which point we stop the game). Takes me by the hand and walks me out and tells me "The game is too scary".

He then either makes me watch Thomas the Tank Engine, or walks back into the room and smiles his way into making his uncle play Mario Kart with him. Cheeky little monkey.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 02-10-2009 at 00:39.

I did miss the joke, my humor sensory thingamajigs are out of whack thanks to 18 months of TRADOC. I'll have them working again in no time

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    He doesn't flee, he comes into the room (at which point we stop the game). Takes me by the hand and walks me out and tells me "The game is too scary".

He then either makes me watch Thomas the Tank Engine, or walks back into the room and smiles his way into making his uncle play Mario Kart with him. Cheeky little monkey.
    I ran the first time I saw what was on the other end of Tank music. I just assumed that was everyone's response.

Left4dead is a lot more fun with voice chat. Cuz then you get to hear the girlish man screams of people like me as they get punted off a building by a tank
    Last edited by Monk; 02-10-2009 at 00:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    of people like me as they get punted off a building by a tank
    Mercy Hospital. So many times myself or those I'm playing with end up either off the edge or incapacitated on inaccessible roofs.
    #Hillary4prism

Thats why you have to stick together and throw up a molotov before you climb to the roof on mercy finale. That spot is actually the best site in the game for a 4 person ambush so far, but if the infected don't know what they're doing or the survivors play it right it can end up a non-event as well.

As for the tank on that level he comes 3 times. After u call the chopper it goes horde horde tank horde horde tank horde horde chopper tank. Make sure your team scouts out and secures any molotovs and pipe bombs before you hit the radio, then when the tank comes everyone runs together while (hopefully) the tank burns to death. If you can get onto one of the smaller roofs only accessible by ladder you can shoot his face off when he comes up. Also use the propane and gas tanks, it is possible to blow the tank off the edge with a propane tank placed somewhere where theres not a lip, like the pipe bridges.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I did miss the joke, my humor sensory thingamajigs are out of whack thanks to 18 months of TRADOC. I'll have them working again in no time
    Ugh. No wonder. You have my sympathies.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Mercy Hospital. So many times myself or those I'm playing with end up either off the edge or incapacitated on inaccessible roofs.
    The funniest moments so far is when the music bugs out on Blood Harvest and you suddenly get hit by a flying tree trunk. There's a huge explosion over voice chat until someone see the tank bouncing around without music playing.

It doesn't happen often(only happened twice in all the games i've played and it's always fixed on the next go through) but it's hilarious when it does. Good thing Harvest is so short or it might be a problem.

That bug can be avoided by bringing up the console via the squiggly key and enabling subtitles. This gives you messages like "tank growling" and "smoker coughing" even when they are far, far away. The music is too unreliable

If you have PC and you arent using the developers console, give it a shot. Theres ways to set up single player where you can practice as infected

I've got to say, favorite level and ambush as undead in the entire game is on mercy. It's right at the beginning of the roof top finale. The area that leads to the elevator(not the whole hall just the immediate area under it) if you get hunters to stand on either side, and a smoker on the other side of the elevator witha boomer in one of the rooms and pop out at the right time. Ohhh man, worlds fastest and most epic winz will be had.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Left4dead is a lot more fun with voice chat. Cuz then you get to hear the girlish man screams of people like me as they get punted off a building by a tank
    Heck yea. There are some spectacularly cinematic moments in the game. My favourite is near the beginning of Death Toll, when a tank was chasing me. I ran blindly, and slipped off a precipice, hanging by the edge while the tank hurtled down the chasm to a messy death.

The best design though, has to be the boomer. It's sounds are hilarious, it's satisfying to kill as a survivor and fun to use in versus mode.

"Euuurrrgh..."

"Boomer!"

"Bleurgh!" *boom*

(over voice chat) "!^#%!#^&*$!@$@!%"
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus View Post
    Heck yea. There are some spectacularly cinematic moments in the game. My favourite is near the beginning of Death Toll, when a tank was chasing me. I ran blindly, and slipped off a precipice, hanging by the edge while the tank hurtled down the chasm to a messy death.

The best design though, has to be the boomer. It's sounds are hilarious, it's satisfying to kill as a survivor and fun to use in versus mode.

"Euuurrrgh..."

"Boomer!"

"Bleurgh!" *boom*

(over voice chat) "!^#%!#^&*$!@$@!%"
    My favorite campaign is Death Toll by far, recently my team got completely smashed at "The Town" Chapter after we got rushed by a tank after the Horde phase. Instead of 2 horde rushes, we got 1 horde rush and then a tank spawn. I was the only survivor so it was like, I had to solo the last little bit.

It was crazy tense fighting off hunters, boomers, smokers all at once all by myself. Then right as I was about to get inside the safe house... I got hit with a smoker tongue. All of voice chat was like Nooooooo!

BTW i'm on pc version. If any of you .orgahs wanna team up for some games sometime I am in the .Org's ETW Multiplayer Steam Group, or if you want I can just drop my ID here.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-16-2009 at 02:42.

alright

I'm going to do it. Bye bye half life, time to dl l4d again
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I finally was able to purchase the game after difficulties with my credit card.

Half off! Yay! Too bad I have to pay sales tax.

So there's an Org steam group? What is it called?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Well, I finally was able to purchase the game after difficulties with my credit card.

Half off! Yay! Too bad I have to pay sales tax.

So there's an Org steam group? What is it called?

CR
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/etwmp

Specifically it's for ETW MP and that is the main purpose we all joined it. So we have a good crop of players on day one to hit the MP scene with

But lately i've been trying to get some other stuff going. L4D and TF2, things like that. It'd be silly not to considering we've got about 15 names and not doing much. If nothing else it's a way to pass the time until ETW.

Official thread is here.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

ID: Eightball

Just picked it up half-off and got through Death Toll with some friends. :)
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 02-16-2009 at 23:37.

So anyone up for a game tomorrow?

Over xfire its in my sig

over steam VehoNex|PL|
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 02-16-2009 at 09:07.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast