Thread: Is Roma Surrectum mod getting inspiration from EB ?

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Default Is Roma Surrectum mod getting inspiration from EB ?

I looked at their recent germanic preview on the twcenter and it seems that the roster is identical to EB one.
    For example they have exactly cherusci swordsmen and chatti spearmen and not the contrary....

So I looked back to other faction preview and they seem to use a lot of EB material.

What do you think ?
    Lies we can believe in

Default Re: Is Roma Surrectum mod getting inspiration from EB ?

There's a chance they might. Unit names are not copy righted or anything so they may, if they do so.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 02-08-2009 at 21:00. Reason: Removed unnecessary pessimism about the future course of this thread.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Mods will share stuff from time to time so its probable that there using the same info to base their units on.
    Last edited by bobbin; 02-08-2009 at 16:35.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Prometheus who started the mod was also an EB member.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

I like both mods, yes it is true that mod makers shared many files as you can see in the previews.
    I am using for example Roma Surrectum textures and so are many, cos they allowed us to use their textures.
    I count it as sweet rivalry between mod makers, it is up to you to choose which you want to play.
    I have 3 separate RTW folder one for Europa Barbarorum alone, one for Roma Surrectum, one for Rome Total Realism and Invasio Barbarorum that they can work seperately.
    If you cannot decide which one to play, you can use my tactic if you are crazy enough to separate 20 GB for all of them
    They made all great jobs and I am sure that no one wants to play vanilla RTW after these great mods
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 02-08-2009 at 18:05.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

I find great differences in the rosters for both games, however, which only serves to both educate and entertain the player (if every RTW mod was the *exact* roster, we'd all get bored). Though some units are the same, The Cherusci and Chatti are some of the foremost Germanic tribes in ancient times so their representation is most fitting in both mods. EB has Celto-Germanic units while RS has the Marcommani; the Germanic elite bodyguards look very different in both mods based on the time period; the Chausci are in EB and the Batavians in RS2, EB has a more 'pure' Germanic roster based in 272 B.C. before large scale migrations to the south of their Rhine, while RS2 has a slight Celtic influenced roster due to the southern migrations of the Cimbri, Teutones, and Ambrones across the Rhine, etc...

This variety in time frames, current world events, factions, units, is awesome for the player. Both games use many of the same sources and, like myself and Keravnos, share historians on both EB and RS. Every Hellenistic army, regardless of the mod, will have its phalangites, hypastpists, argyraspides, and hoplites; every 'barbarian' army will have many of the same type units like naked warriors nd the like, so across most RTW mods set in ancient times, similarities will exist.

That's exactly right. I too am an RS member.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

I think if the units represented are historicly accurate then there is no problem in it - atleast I think - for exampel I myself have seen a few previews from RTR FoE and EB but since both are aiming for historic accuracy (like RS2 will) than it can very well happen - both might work with the same sources.

@Atraphoenix: you mean EB and RS can be on the same computer - I heard somwhere that the two programs screw eachother up even iff they are in different folders... Or have I been misinfromed?
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Meh, unless Foot has authorized a 'no competing mod switch,' I don't think so.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Atraphoenix: you mean EB and RS can be on the same computer - I heard somwhere that the two programs screw eachother up even iff they are in different folders... Or have I been misinfromed?
    So long as you do not try to open the mods with original RTW or BI shortcut namely if you the shortcuts of the mods, they work great even you can open RS and EB in the same folder cos EB just uses exe not the other RTW files, at the moment RTR and BI are in the same folder in my PC. EB and RS are in different folders.

And if you do not play 6 hours without stopping they can work on Vista as well, mine is vista eg.

P.S. For RS changes rtw files I put it into a seperate folder but it was working on my pc with EB in the same RTW folder before I had to format my pc for vista.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 02-09-2009 at 12:23.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

I think it's safe to say EB has been inspiration for a lot of modders, including myself.

Mods may sometimes seem to be similar in theme and/or aesthetically, but that may be due to the same conclusion of research. This could be represented on units for example, which might have been known historically to use certain iconography, or equipment types, or be know as a certain term etc.
    Last edited by EdwardL; 02-09-2009 at 16:02.