Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Principate Total War

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Default Re: Principate Total War

Thats good, Remember to change the faction symbols

Its been a while, but im back with some updates.

- The map is nearly finished, when i get time il upload some screenshots.
    - The Germans are now 2 factions, The Germanic Tribal Confederation and the Marcomanni, representing the split in interests between Arminius and Marbod after the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. The Confederation start at war with Rome, but the Marcomanni are neutral.
    - Some faction colours have been edited - Parthia now uses the colours and symbols of Persia in Alexander.
    - Several new buildings have been added including the Triumph for the Roman faction, and state funded slum housing.
    - New units including cataphracts and horsemen auxiliaries for Rome and stolen artillery for Dacia.

Principate Total War

< from Emperor of Graal for PTW

Some screens-

Germany

Babylonia, Mesopotamia and Elymais

Evocati Augusti (Re-enlisted Praetorian Guardsmen) - credit to ferres for his modding legions pack - i just changed colour

Roman Cataphracts

Thracian/Dacian Basternae Cavalry

Principate Total War

Just some info on the factions -

S.P.Q.R

Starting Provinces- Aegyptus, Africa, Apulia, Baliares, Bithynia, Calabria, Campania, Cilicia, Crete, Cyprus, Cyrenaica, Dalmatia, Galatia, Gallia Aquitania, Gallia Belgica, Gallia Cisalpina, Gallia Lugdinensis, Gallia Narbonensis, Gallic Transalpina, Hellas, Hispania Baeticia, Hispania Lusitania, Hispania Tarraconensis, Illyria, Ionia, Italia, Libya, Lycia, Macedonia, Noricum, Paionia, Pannonia, Phrygia, Propontis, Rhodos, Sardinia et Corsica, Sicilia, Syria, Tripolitania, Umbria, Venetia

Pros-

• Huge Starting Territory
    • Good Infrastructure
    • Access to brilliant legionary troops as well as provincial auxiliaries
    • Useful client states buffer borders

Cons-

• Powerful Germans in North and Parthians in the East
    • Provinces will be hard to control if money becomes an issue

Judean Tetrarchy

Starting Provinces- Coele Syria, Galilee & Perea, Judea, Phoenicia

Pros-

• Rich Starting Territory
    • Rome, Parthia, Pontus and Armenia are close by for trading
    • Acess to Galatian Bodyguard units as well as native spearmen and desert tribesmen

Cons-

• Stuck between 2 rivals Empires
    • Early expansion is cramped

comments please

Principate Total War

The Evocati Augusti look outstanding.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    The Evocati Augusti look outstanding.
    I know theyre from the amazing pack by ferres, i cant take much credit for them, except for their black outfits.

Principate Total War

Map Previews -

Aegyptus and Marmarica,

The Aegean and Western Asia Minor

Taurica-

Principate Total War

Is that Pontus in the last picture, of the Crimea? Or is it a separate Bosporan Kingdom?
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

Its the kingdom of the Cimmerian Bosporus. I put them in to add some action to that area of the map

Principate Total War

Very cool! I want to play the Cimmerians. (Do they get Conan as a general? )

(Do they get Conan as a general? )
    Lol it took me a while to get that one . At the minute im trying to find out all I can abuout the KoftheCB's army because apart from the Scythians and other steppe mercs, i don't know much about the composition of their armies. Does anyone have any ideas?

Principate Total War

Well, they had a lot of strong Greek influences, as much of the region was colonized by the Greeks, and was an important source of grain for them. It was Bosporan grain that kept Athens fed during the Peloponnesian War.

Well, they had a lot of strong Greek influences, as much of the region was colonized by the Greeks, and was an important source of grain for them. It was Bosporan grain that kept Athens fed during the Peloponnesian War.
    Thanks for that info!

Principate Total War

Just a quick unit preview, an edited version of one of ferres' units. This is the Heavy Legionary, designed to be used against the falx-wielding Thracians/Dacians. They have enhanced cheek-protectors and arm protection, but are slower as a result.

I might try and implement a script similar to the seleucid cataphract reforms in EB, where you have to fight the Dacians in a battle with falxmen prescent, so that these units are enabled. Otherwise they'll probably be for custom battles only.

comments?

Principate Total War

I like how they look.

Interesting idea with the anti-falx reforms. But it does not seem like a big enough change to warrant using a Marian Reform event for it. Then again, I do not suppose there are going to be many other sweeping technological changes either...

###### of the Gladiators Member neo_deus's Avatar

Luke Liddle, this idea is very good, and you've done some very good job so far! I have been following your work here for quite some time. Congratulations, it promises to be a very good mod. I'm sure to play it when it gets out!

Keep the good work up :)

About the Cimmerian Bosporus kingdom, SubRosa is right, they suffered a great hellenic influence. Panticapeum, the largest Bosphoran city, was founded as a greek cololy.
    Here's a map you may, or may not, found useful

The information about the composition of Bosphoran/Cimmerian armies is not that easy to find, at least in the web. I'm sure that if you would consult a good encyclopedia you would find many useful information. But, as SubRosa said, their greek influenced their armies. There are known reports and even images, sculptures, etc, of hoplite troops from the bosphoran kingdoms, for example.
    However, I would not forget the great influence the people of the steppes had on the Bosphoran kingdoms. Mostly when the Sarmatians had the Scythians kicked out of their lands and they moved southwards and established along the the greek colonies.

So, hoplite units, or spear units that ressemble the hoplites, could be found in the Bosphoran armies, along with Scythian archers and horse archers, without forgetting somekind of celtic/germanic infantry types. Lots of germano-celtic tribes lived along and even within the Scythian territory. Something like in this picture would fit, a spear men with an axe, a reference to perhaps the favourite melee weapon of the Scythians:

Also, although the people from the steppes were not famous by their infantry, they had some pretty good units.

This is a unit from my mod, I took the model and the original skin from BI (then repainted it). It's actually called Bosphoran Infantry, and it can be used as a spear unit as they are there or can easily be turned into swordsmen or even an elite archery unit.

Hope this can help you.
    Last edited by neo_deus; 04-27-2009 at 16:38.

Thanks neo_deus! I actually added the Bosphoran Infantry from BI, but that was about as far as I got, after changing the colour to purple. Il add a few elite archers, along with barbarian-style melee infantry and some elite steppe cavalry.

The map is nearing completion. I've condensed Asia Minor into several less provinces, and added several to the Baltic Sea area (not very historically correct, but most sources don't have settlement names). I've also added a small region near Sinai and Judea, the Pentapolis, representing the Philistine Pentapolis. This gives Judea/Nabataea somewhere to expand, and includes a famous city from the times (and often in the news today), Gaza.

Asia Minor:

Provinces: Anti ClockWise from Top Left: Propontis (Byzantium), Bithynia (Nicomedia), Asia (Ephesus), Cilicia et Lycia (Tarsus), Galatia (Ancyra) and Cappadocia

Baltic:

Provinces: Anti ClockWise from Top Left: Cimbrian Chersonesos (Bordesholm), Codannovia (Vicus Hilleviones), Tribus Chatti (Damne), Scandia (Vicus Scandiae)

Any comments/suggestions?

Principate Total War

You put settlements in Denmark and Sweden. Good idea considering that the Romans are going to own most of the continent to start with. Have you though about creating land-bridges linking the mainland of Jutland to the islands, and across to Sweden? This would make it easy for the Germans factions to expand up there, or for a third German faction to expand south and into the continent.

I bring it up because I have been thinking of doing the same myself with ATW.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing SubRosa said. Very good idea to increase the number of territories so that other factions can expand without immediately declare war on the romans, wich would be a mistake, considering the resources and infrastructures they will have.
    And land bridges would be a great boost!

What about the african territories?

If you're looking for a good model for an elite archer unit, Luke Liddle, I can tell you that the Scythinas have a type of horse archer, Noble Horse Archers or something like that, that are a great start! <:

Just a small update - a WIP modification to Egypt, adding the Nile in properly, using the 'realistic river' method. As you can tell it's not complete yet, but im editing the height map to be more realistic such as this, and adding small islands around coastline etc.

Principate Total War

Oh good idea. This way people can sail up the river. I like how you put the lighthouse on its own spit of land across from the city of Alexandria proper, as it was in reality. Although you should probably find a way to move the port so it is on the same side of the river as Alexandria.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-05-2009 at 17:33.

Thanks SubRosa, i'v followed your advice and made the port closer to Alexandria. Also if you look at the old preview, the Pharos Island is still slightly connected to land, but now it is an island. I've also made it so that if you wish to traverse the river without boats, you must go to Upper Egypt, simply to give this region some more action. The crossing is near Diospolis-Magna.

Principate Total War

Navigatable Nile? Very good! Are there going to be people trying to invade Alexandria by going up the river? :D

Im just taking a short break from other areas of modding to show you the new roman provincial governorship system.

It goes:
    |-Imperial Province
    Pacification ---|-Senatorial Province
    |-Client Kingdom

And i don't have a preview but some small edits to the map to add minor islands etc in are nearly complete. Ive added islands in the Aegean, Tyrhenian, Red Sea, the Channel Islands and seperated Anglessey (Mona) from the mainland.

Comments?

Principate Total War

Ive edited the map to include most of Caledonia, as well as the rest of the Caspian sea. Iv also made a new mini-map.

Principate Total War

Very cool. I like it, and the idea of the Roman Provincial system.

I like it, and the idea of the Roman Provincial system.
    Me too! I'm implementing "cultural assimilation" on Spartacus. It's kinda the same idea with some differences.
    How expensive will it be to build those improvements?

Is that a province with a port in the Persian Golf I see there? It should get huge commerce bonuses!
    Last edited by neo_deus; 05-12-2009 at 02:48.

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Sorry I haven't commented in awhile, So far this mod is looking amazing
    Well done
    Have a balloon

Armargh has been replaced by Chonnacht:

Lake Tritonis in Africa:

Characene. In response to neo_deus, yes it will get trade bonuses:

The Celtic Bodyguard of the Judean Kings (WIP):

comments and suggestions?

Principate Total War

Going good, Luke Liddle. I like the map very much. The bosphorus will be one territory only?
    Speaking of the Bosphorus, I'm thinking about adding a few Bosphoran units to Spartacus, maybe a scythian-hellenic archer unit and other type of infantry besides the Bosphoran infantry for BI. I wont have a bosphoran faction, but I'll add them to the rebels there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast