Thread: Principate Total War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Principate Total War

Principate Total War

AD 10- AD 192
    Europe/North Africa/Middle East

The Roman Principate has existed for nearly 40 years, carefully centralizing power whist retaining a republican facade. The 73 year old Princeps Augustus, adopted son of Gaius Julius Caesar is nearing the end of his life. Roman territory encompassed Italy, Gaul, Africa, Egypt, Greece, Iberia and Asia Minor. But the invinciblity has been shattered. Just one year ago, three legions under Varus were slaughtered at Teutoburg Forest by the German Arminius. The conquest of Germania has been brought rapidly to a halt and now other states bordering on Roman lands think of war.
    To the East, Pontus and Armenia are poised to attack Asia Minor, and retake their old homelands. The Parthian Empire has been subdued temporarily by a peace treaty, but they are as changeable as the wind and will strike at any time.
    North of Gaul, across the sea lays Brittania. Not much is known about this land, except that it is rich with metals and inhabited by vicious barbarians.
    Take control of Rome and expand your already huge borders or play as the British and break out of your island home. Play as the German Tribes and continue to decimate the legions who dare to invade your land. Play as Parthia and conquer the Judeans who ally themselves with Rome before taking the Roman lands themselves.

Faction List.
    Julii- Roman Principate
    Brutii-?
    Scipii- ?
    Britons- British Tribes
    Germania- Germanic Tribes (Frisians, Cherusci, Teutons, Chatti)
    Gaul- ?
    Spain-?
    Numidia- the Kingdom of Nabatea
    Dacia- the Kingdom of Dacia
    Seleucids- the Kingdom of Osroene
    Egypt- the Tetrarchy of Judea
    Carthage-the Kingdom of Mauretiania
    Scythia-?
    Thrace- the Kingdom of Thracia
    Parthia- the Parthian Empire
    Armenia- the Kingdom of Armenia
    Pontus- the Kingdom of Pontus
    Macedon the Bosporan Kingdom
    Slaves- Independent States
    Greeks-?
    Senate-?

Ideas-

The Roman Principate Family tree will be split in two.

One half is the Imperial Family, descended from Augustus

The other half are the politicians, dividided into various sub-families

Faction Leader (deceased) is Julius Caesar, succeeded by his adoptive son, and also by the politicians.
    In my opinion this would be be the best way to simulate the reality of the period.

Questions-

Would it be possible to recruit generals with native features?

For example, the Romans recruit a general in Judea, with the name Herod and Judean traits. I think the traits part could be done through ethnic traits

Help Needed-

To forward the mod and accellerated the speed that it is finished, I will need help. If anyone can volunteer to create a new map or model units that would be amazing. I also need help with research, especially for the non-Roman factions.

Thanks for reading this!

Principate Total War

< from Emperor of Graal for PTW

Default Re: Principate Total War

I like the idea. I think it would be one way to do a second Rome TW game. The real question is how do you make it challenging for the Roman player? They start out as the biggest kid on the block, and would probably be able to easily steam-roll little countries like Mauretiania and Nabataea, as they did in real life.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Good question. What I need to do is to make incentives to not bulldoze these nations. One idea is for the Tetrarchy of Judea to provide regular tribute which makes you want to stay allied to it. For the African nations i debated making the legions much less effective in desert terrain, but historically they could fight nearly anywhere, so I think the makeup the the troops will help with that. If anyone has any ideas as to how i can make the Romans harder to play as, just give me a shout and il take them into account. :)

Principate Total War

All I can think is to make use of a Culture system like XGM does, using the 3 religions from BI. You could have a Roman, a Barbarian, and an Eastern culture. That would slow down Roman expansion by adding to public disorder in the provinces they capture. You also might make their units cost a lot more to recruit and maintain.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

Thats a good idea. Also i have an idea to implement a similar feature, with Roman Citizenship (as a building). All cities in Italy would have this at the start and they will be the only ones able to recruit a legionary cohort (as legionaries had to be citizens of Rome). I might make citizenship createable in provinces but at a high price.

Principate Total War

XGM, EB, and other mods do something similar with Colony buildings. Building the colony building at each tier increases culture conversion rates, and allows you to recruit your better units.