Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Legion vs. Phalanx online tournament

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

Default Re: Legion vs. Phalanx online tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Tolg View Post
    I don't really get what you mean with "semi-finals", I'll just try to make a suggestion based on your one:
    Sorry I didn't make that too clear. I was in a bit of a hurry.

1. All players compete in a set number of matches. Some kind of point system is used (How does the UEFA system work btw? I'm not a soccer fan. ), the side with the most points wins the faction tournament.
    By UEFA-style I guess I meant match-ups with points awarded at the end and a hierarchy based on the points. I think, since we don't really have draws we could go for 1 point for victory, nil if you lose.

2. Every player with more then a certain amount of points (preferably only those with the highest score, but we need to make sure there's a decent number of particapants) automatically qualyfies for the second round of the tournament. This would be a knock-out tournament to decide who's the best individual general. The second round could either be Greeks vs Romans or mixed.
    Not a bad idea.
    Similar to what I had in mind for my 'semi-final'. Only in my version it would still be point-based so we could have a one-on-one for the final battle.
    And I figured we could use a second round only in the event of a tie between players. Alternatively, we could go with your version and pick 2-3 generals from each side. This, of course, depends on how many participants we have.

I think for the moment we need a list of all players who have applied so far. (I could list everyone who applied on the forums, but I don't know if there are some who applied per pm only.)
    Yes, do that please. And I'll post the list on the first message of the topic so we can have it there.

An important questions to discuss:

How many matches are there going to be if we go with the point system? Remember that there should be equal numbers of games for all players.
    Like I said in my post, I think 3 should do. Enough for everyone to be entertained, not too many so it doesn't drag on for months. We have to keep in mind that RL usually comes first.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Romans:
    -Rootje
    -We shall fwee...Wodewick
    -Macilrille (Rome, if he gets EB 1.2 to work)

Greeks:
    -Gabeed (Ptolemaioi)
    -IrishHitman (Macedonia - Unless I got the pun wrong)
    -Phalanx300 (KH > Macedonia/Epeiros > Rome)
    -Hasdrubal Barca (Seleuceia or Macedonia)
    -Potocello (KH > any other Greeks > Rome)
    -Turnus (as a "phalanx faction")

-Maion Maroneios (Macedonia) is probably out as he is now a member of the jury.

Edit: Is there anybody here who could make us some sigs? Propaganda. ^^
    Last edited by Tolg; 02-13-2009 at 23:44.

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

RL Issues will preclude me doing anything more than the occasional historical research, sorry. That is as big a problem as 1.2 not working...
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Damn, i would love to participate in an online mini-tournament, but i am a total noob multiplayer wise, since i never fought one single battle online.

I would most likely get trounced by smarter folk. So i hope someone is kind enough to upload the battle movies so the newbies here can watch.

Dux and Strategos Member Potocello's Avatar

haha love the propaganda sig idea. maybe we could make this tournament like a monthly thing. each month we could have different match up between factions.

i'm getting excited for this to start =)
    "Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie"
    - from Tiberius Claudius Marcellus

Look out for the upcoming PBM! Get ready to defend your tribe from both external and internal rivals!

Quote Originally Posted by BurningEGO View Post
    Damn, i would love to participate in an online mini-tournament, but i am a total noob multiplayer wise, since i never fought one single battle online.
    There's always a first time. You can get better.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningEGO View Post

I would most likely get trounced by smarter folk. So i hope someone is kind enough to upload the battle movies so the newbies here can watch.
    Hey, I've never battled online, and yet I'm jumping in the deep end. So what if you lose, at least you lose against an opponent with a brain!
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

I sOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want te be in. Ive never played MP much in the original game (it mainly got down to everyone using massed praetorian cavalry or massed urban cohort or ART or ELE)
    And in EB i just got lost in the wonderful campaign.
    Im ready to take the jump now, as these two juggernauts of war meet.

Ill play as a roman since there seems to be a shortage.

Btw, do you need 1.2 or are 1.1 and 1.2 online compatible? otherwise ill download. (didnt want to because of save game compatibility)

You need EB 1.2

If you want to continue your campaign you can just un- and reistall EB (Try if it works if you just unistall EB 1.2, but I don't think it will). I know it takes some time, but not as much as too start your campaign all over again.

The updated player list:

Romans:
    -Rootje
    -alexanderthegreater

Greeks:
    -Gabeed (Ptolemaioi)
    -IrishHitman (Macedonia)

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

...1.2 is installed ontop of 1.1 IIRC.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

That's right. You install 1.1 then 1.2
    If that still doesn't work... you should check FAQs or post a thread in the Technical Help section. That sounds really strange.

And addressing another issue... I think it should be alright for jury members to participate as well. After all, there are five of us so there are still 4 left to "judge" the other's performance.

After all, everyone should have a go at this. And if the Romans are still short I think I'll jump in as a Roman general.

Hopefully tonight we'll be able to have a little demo tournament among jury members and see how it works. I'm pretty excited, actually.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    And addressing another issue... I think it should be alright for jury members to participate as well. After all, there are five of us so there are still 4 left to "judge" the other's performance.

After all, everyone should have a go at this. And if the Romans are still short I think I'll jump in as a Roman general.

Hopefully tonight we'll be able to have a little demo tournament among jury members and see how it works. I'm pretty excited, actually.
    It certainly have some advantages if we could participate as well. If Burebista and I play as Romans and Maion Maroneios as Macedonia we would have 5 Romans and 7 Greeks meaning that if one of the later changes sides we have even teams and most of our problems are solved.

On the other hand I don't want there to be any doubt about the objectivity of the jury.

Perhaps we should turn this thread into a poll (if that's possible) to sound the public opinion on this matter...

You need EB 1.2

If you want to continue your campaign you can just un- and reistall EB (Try if it works if you just unistall EB 1.2, but I don't think it will). I know it takes some time, but not as much as too start your campaign all over again.
    Right. I am installing 1.2 right now. Thanks for the tip of un- and reinstalling. Wouldnt want to lose my roman empire to an update, would I?

As to unit roster limitations, I seriously suggest we don't spam slingers. Theyre overpowered to the point that I'd call it ahistorical.

Hamilcar for example seems to have used them on sicily to disrupt/slowdown/demoralize the romans. There is a large difference between a slowdown and a mowdown.

I think historically large armies made slingers less effective since you could only take out a small percentage before your foe closed in. But because in RTW the unit numbers are only a fraction of reality (although for gaming standards really huge) that made slingers overpowered. My point is that slingers are portrayed historical in EB, but since the numbers are ahistorical there is an imbalance.

Think of it this way: when fighting 1 on 1 would you prefer a sarissa or a slinger? a slinger id say. (even though id suck with a slinger)
    But when fighting with 30.000 against 30.000? bring on the sarissas!

I'd love to join in if you're ok, just to get some practice.
    Last edited by alexanderthegreater; 02-14-2009 at 18:44. Reason: needed to add something small instead of double posting.

Hey, sure. Not like it's the Buena Vista social club.
    Anyone's welcome to join.

Hey, sure. Not like it's the Buena Vista social club.
    Anyone's welcome to join.
    Woohoo, scrimmage! I might be available tonight, around what time are you guys going to be online? And we're using 1.2 with no further mods or additions currently, yes?
    Balloons collected:
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Armenia, Vanilla BI Western Roman Empire and Berbers

not sure what timezone youre in, but in mine its evening so would any of you want to have a friendly match right now? im online as Alexanderthegreater so im on the top of the alphabetical list in the lobby.

Oh yes, EB v1.2 with no mods.
    Last edited by alexanderthegreater; 02-14-2009 at 21:12. Reason: typo..

Well, I have to do a clean install of EB 1.2, after that I'll look for you.
    Balloons collected:
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Armenia, Vanilla BI Western Roman Empire and Berbers

Had some compatibility issues bcos i didnt had the fixes. Wont be able to play today because of it ;(
    Last edited by alexanderthegreater; 02-14-2009 at 21:54.

Need another imperator? Sign me up.

Will we be using hamachi?
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 02-15-2009 at 00:24.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Actually... we'd be in need of two more, to tell you the truth.
    And, of course, you're more than welcome to join!

I think hamachi would work nicely, yes. But Tolg and HunGeneral had a go at it today with regular online match-up and it seems to have gone rather well.
    It's Makedonia 1- Romans nil so far.

I seem to have some rotten luck, their game appeared "Not Compatible". I still don't know why.

Tip for Romani: Since your legions are cheap, buy some expensive elephants to punch through those pikes.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Dux and Strategos Member Potocello's Avatar

how is getting the subforum going? that would be awesome if we had one =]
    "Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie"
    - from Tiberius Claudius Marcellus

Look out for the upcoming PBM! Get ready to defend your tribe from both external and internal rivals!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

where is the video for the first battles?
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Actually... we'd be in need of two more, to tell you the truth.
    I seem to have some rotten luck, their game appeared "Not Compatible". I still don't know why.
    As to the non-compatibility issue (which I suffered from too yesterday) Tolg kindly pointed out to me that i hadn't downloaded the 1.2 bug fixes.

I just read this interesting thread and thought of sharing my idea of tournament system.

For an iliustratory purposes I will be using a completely random number of participants on both sides. Say there is 5 Roman generals and 7 Hellenistic strategoi.

First stage:

Because there are less Romans they all get to fight two battles. Their opponents are randomly chosen from among the strategoi.

First round (example):
    Roman 1 - Strategos 3
    Roman 2 - Strategos 7
    Roman 3 - Strategos 2
    Roman 4 - Strategos 4
    Roman 5 - Strategos 6

As you see the opponent is randomly chosen. However two strategoi (1 and 5) had no battles yet. So they are on priority for the second round.

Second round:
    Roman 1 - Strategos 7
    Roman 2 - Strategos 6
    Roman 3 - Strategos 1
    Roman 4 - Strategos 5
    Roman 5 - Strategos 2

Now the two strategos who had no battles yet gets a random Roman opponent. The remaining romans get random opponents from the 4 remaining strategoi (7-2(had no battles yet)-1(already fought against)=4).

For each victory Team and player is awarded 1 point. The team with the most points wins the First stage (legion vs phalanx) of the tournament.

Second stage:

Lets say there are 2 Roman generals who got 2 points (won both of their battles) and there are 2 Strategoi who also have 2 points.

First round:
    Roman 1 - Strategos 1
    Roman 2 - Strategos 2

Second round:
    Roman 1 - Strategos 2
    Roman 2 - Strategos 1

Each player fight his two opponents and gets 1 point for each victory. the player with most points wins the Best General part of of the tournament. With this stage of the tournament there are lots of possible variations, such as draws, uneven numbers of generals on both sides, etc. however all of these issues can be sorted.

Third stage:
    Massive 3vs3 or 4vs4 battle for fun and to close the tournament.
    Last edited by Silence Hunter; 02-15-2009 at 15:10.

Ah one weekend I'm away and the first matches are already being played,ha!

I keep feeling abit stupid for asking but I just lack the experience of setting up a TW game online...how to ''fix'' my currentsetup?

Currently have:

Rome+alex installed,playing on alex.exe and 1.2 EB with phalanx mod

to play online I could use my RTW Gold edition, is it possible to install the game twice, or maybe on an external harddisc? I think Rome total war could be played without ''registration error'' on a external harddisc,not sure.

Please enlighten me with a step by step path onto total pwnage without losing the abilty to resume my grand campaign :)!

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic View Post
    Will we be using hamachi?
    I think that should be up to the players. Wichever works better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Potocello View Post
    how is getting the subforum going? that would be awesome if we had one =]
    Not sure how to approach this topic. (Recommondations appreciated)

For the moment I'll try to increase the popularity of the tournament by adding a "cry for help" in my sig, asking for skilled photoshop masters to make us some sigs and trying to get more players to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    where is the video for the first battles?
    I'll upload it later. Any suggestions on which site I should use to upload it?

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Hunter View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I just read this interesting thread and thought of sharing my idea of tournament system.

For an iliustratory purposes I will be using a completely random number of participants on both sides. Say there is 5 Roman generals and 7 Hellenistic strategoi.

First stage:

Because there are less Romans they all get to fight two battles. Their opponents are randomly chosen from among the strategoi.

First round (example):
    Roman 1 - Strategos 3
    Roman 2 - Strategos 7
    Roman 3 - Strategos 2
    Roman 4 - Strategos 4
    Roman 5 - Strategos 6

As you see the opponent is randomly chosen. However two strategoi (1 and 5) had no battles yet. So they are on priority for the second round.

Second round:
    Roman 1 - Strategos 7
    Roman 2 - Strategos 6
    Roman 3 - Strategos 1
    Roman 4 - Strategos 5
    Roman 5 - Strategos 2

Now the two strategos who had no battles yet gets a random Roman opponent. The remaining romans get random opponents from the 4 remaining strategoi (7-2(had no battles yet)-1(already fought against)=4).

For each victory Team and player is awarded 1 point. The team with the most points wins the First stage (legion vs phalanx) of the tournament.

Second stage:

Lets say there are 2 Roman generals who got 2 points (won both of their battles) and there are 2 Strategoi who also have 2 points.

First round:
    Roman 1 - Strategos 1
    Roman 2 - Strategos 2

Second round:
    Roman 1 - Strategos 2
    Roman 2 - Strategos 1

Each player fight his two opponents and gets 1 point for each victory. the player with most points wins the Best General part of of the tournament. With this stage of the tournament there are lots of possible variations, such as draws, uneven numbers of generals on both sides, etc. however all of these issues can be sorted.

Third stage:
    Massive 3vs3 or 4vs4 battle for fun and to close the tournament.
    That's pretty close to what Burebista and I had in mind. And likely to the format that's going to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Hunter View Post
    I just read this interesting thread
    If it's so interesting why don't I see your name on the player list yet? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by rootje View Post
    Ah one weekend I'm away and the first matches are already being played,ha!
    Don't worry, it was only a test anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rootje View Post
    I keep feeling abit stupid for asking but I just lack the experience of setting up a TW game online...how to ''fix'' my currentsetup?

Currently have:

Rome+alex installed,playing on alex.exe and 1.2 EB with phalanx mod

to play online I could use my RTW Gold edition, is it possible to install the game twice, or maybe on an external harddisc? I think Rome total war could be played without ''registration error'' on a external harddisc,not sure.

Please enlighten me with a step by step path onto total pwnage without losing the abilty to resume my grand campaign :)!
    I don't think installing RTW twice will work. (Perhaps if you do it on another computer, but I doubt it.)

You only need Alex.exe to play EB using it, don't you? This means it should be posssible to backup alex.exe and your savegames, uninstall EB, reinstall it play your mp matches and then reinstall the files needed to play it on alex.exe. On the other hand I'm probably not the right person to answer as I just gave up trying to make EB run on alex (didn't get it to work with trivial script...)

The updated player list:

Romans:
    -Rootje
    -alexanderthegreater
    -TWFanatic

Greeks:
    -Gabeed (Ptolemaioi)
    -IrishHitman (Macedonia)
    Last edited by Tolg; 02-15-2009 at 22:49.

If it's so interesting why don't I see your name on the player list yet? ;)
    I would love to participate but I'm very busy the next two weeks (Uni, parties, competitions, etc).

Repeating myself here, but I think this tournament will bring us together as we tell tales and grudgingly respect each other. That is, if it is done in good spirits and with sportsmanship.

Good idea to make it. Perhaps at some point people who prefers Suebi, Casse or whatever can participate as well.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

I wish Wursti made a Phalanx Strong video along with his Legion Strong video. That would work quite well for this thread. :-D

That is unless someone wants to make some sort of propaganda video spoof for this contest.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 02-16-2009 at 00:35.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast