Thread: Across the Styx (A Koinon Hellenoi AAR)

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

Default Across the Styx (A Koinon Hellenoi AAR)

Across the Styx: A tale of Greek Courage

Prologue: Ebb and Flow

“Rivers of blood shall flow”. That is what the Oracle told me. The rivers of the Peloponnesus shall burn bright red as the Phlegeton with the blood of our soldiers and pitch black as the dreadful Styx, boiling with our hatred of the wretched Diadochoi of Alexandros.

Rivers of blood shall flow, she said, and many a Spartan youth shall return to his mother on his shield, many an Athenian mother shall cry the loss of her husband, son, father and brother. The Akropolis Athenaia may fall and Makedonian heavy boots may trample the streets of Athena’s beloved city, and the unconquerable citadel of Sparte may fall… but we shall rise again. Like the indomitable Phoenix, from the ashes of the splintered Greek League, a mighty Kingdom shall be born.

The Makedonians beat their bronze-clad chests and clatter their shields, boastful of the legacy that Alexandros has left them. But Phillip’s son is long dead and his empire all but crumbled. How can they be a match to our soldiers? Were they 300 Makedonians who held Xerxes’ army at Thermopylai? Was it an army of Makedonia that defeated the Persian army at Marathon? They are not the true sons of Hercules!

Even mighty Pyrrhos swears that by the end of this year he will arrive with his army at the gates of Sparte. Let him come. Let them all come! Let them pit their pikes and spears and swords against the strength of Greek courage for we, the true Greeks, the true sons of Achilles have been here long before them and we shall here remain long after they have gone! Let Pyrrhos and Antigonos bring their armies to the gates of our cities and we shall send them to Hades himself that they may tell the gods of our courage.

Athena watch over us, Ares grant us strength and may Zeus strike down our foes with his relentless thunder! Swear to me, noble Hellenes that you will not forget our shame at the hands of Alexandros and his scions. May we never forget how they betrayed us, sacked our Poleis, raped our women and drafted our children into their armies. Soon we shall deliver swift and bitter retribution for their heinous treachery. And in front of the gods, we shall regain our honour. Though rivers of blood may flow, the day will come when a Greek king shall stand atop the tomb of Philippos II and shout to the gods “We have prevailed!”

Today a Hegemon, but tomorrow Basileu and ruler of all Hellenes… and they are all that stand in our way. Onward to Makedonia!

*Images "stolen" from www.theoi.com
    **Disclaimer: Any views expressed towards other factions were included to add historical creditability, belong to fictional characters and are not my own, so please don't tar and feather me.
    ***Oh, and I'm terribly lazy and not to mention busy... so this will take a while to complete.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Default Re: Across the Styx (A Koinon Hellenoi AAR)

Ok so that makes what three KH AARs in two week now?

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

^^ good luck with this one. i'll be following this
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Very good, I like the Apocalyptic dictum of yours! Keep up!

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

I'll be following this, even though you are against the Makedones. Well, you are Hellenes in any way so I guess I don't mind. It's been a while since I've played the KH actually, I may even do so at some point in the [distant] future

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Blackeyes View Post
    Ok so that makes what three KH AARs in two week now?
    If you don't like the idea of someone having their own AAR because someone else already wrote one, you have three choices:
    a.) Don't read it
    b.) Go make your own
    c.) Both

To everyone else: Thank you! I hope I won't keep you waiting too long.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Well now we have a regular Greek campaign on top of the west and east migration AARs already in progress. It should be interesting to watch where our different paths take us. I look forward to reading Chapter 1.

My AAR: Basileion Bosphorou: a Tale of the Pontos Euxeinos

Tribvnvs Caivs Aemilivs Mamercvs - BtSH

Strategos Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes - WotB

From Antinous:

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    If you don't like the idea of someone having their own AAR because someone else already wrote one, you have three choices:
    a.) Don't read it
    b.) Go make your own
    c.) Both

To everyone else: Thank you! I hope I won't keep you waiting too long.
    No im just saying that the KH have become VERY popular all of a sudden. No insult intended.

My balloons:

Well, recently I've read a lot of anti-KH posts... that the Phalangites are better, that the successor cavalry is much better and so on and so forth, and to tell you the truth... it got me all wound up.

So I decided it was time to give Makedonia a slap... no offence, Maion.

And Mjolnir, I'm reading your at the moment. Certainly looks interesting.

Honestly the KH are my second favorite faction in EB (After the Sweboz of course)

My balloons:

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

Olaf is right though about KH being very popular.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Honestly the KH are my second favorite faction in EB (After the Sweboz of course)

Mmmm, the Sweboz are my second favorite faction in EB and the Koinen Hellenon is my favorite .

If your wondering why, I have Germanic ancestors seeing as I'm Dutch.

And yeah the Koinen Hellenon are great, and I would prefer Hoplites over Phalangites any time.

And yeah, nice AAR.

(These smilies are great)

Towards the Rising Sun.

I remember it to this day though I was only a small child. It was the first year of the 127th Olympiad. Argeades’ army was ravaging through Attica, Macedonian forces were being mustered in Korinthos, preparing to attack Sparta. Grim tidings for our Greek soldiers.

But the League decided it would not sit and wait for its lands to be pillaged. Areus brought his army from Krete and with the bulk of the Spartan forces and with the greatest military force the Greek League had seen in years, our Hegemon and his trusted Strategoi marched northward to repel the invading Macedonians.

First, our army sought to test its steel against the amassing army at Korinthos. I do not know how the battle went as I was too young to attend. But my father, who was there, told me that the dogs were outnumbered and quickly fled before the might of the Spartan Phalanx… they were reduced to nothing but fodder for Kretan arrows.

I’ll never forget that winter… the cold, musky air was filled with a scent unfamiliar to me at that time… one I would, sadly, become accustomed to later on. The recently conquered city was “decorated” at street corners with one of the most gruesome sites I was ever cursed to see… a funeral pyre of Macedonian sarissas set ablaze with the corpse of an enemy soldier thrusted into the topmost pike… that smell, I would later find out, was of burning human flesh.

And so the year had ended with a great victory and we all hoped the coming spring would bring another one. For now our brave soldiers feasted and celebrated.

Come the next year… news was not so good, however. Scouts reported Antigonos marched his troops through the harsh Macedonian winter and would soon reach Athenai. Once more the bronze shield were polished, the spears sharpened and with rations handed out the army marched forward to meet the threat.

My mother said that I was jumping like a young buck, eager to see our soldiers set out for great conquest. Truly, every one of those men were gods to me.

But some of those gods never returned to their Olympus. Though they fought valiantly… the victory ultimately went to Antigonos’ superior army. This was most dire news, the Archons of the League were desperate. The Macedonian threat was undeniable and it was no doubt that the massive army would reach the gates of Athenai by the end of the summer.

Then one morning, before Helios rode in his chariot above the sky, the entire city suddenly came to life. I woke up in my mother’s arms, who scooped me out of my bed and ran through the palace as if it were on fire. But it was worse, Antigonos and his army were near. I vaguely remember that day… the only image my mind can conjure is that of Areus exhorting his personal bodyguard. Later I would find out that he decided to stay back with his handful of brave Spartan soldiers and all the archers we could muster… a Spartan king defends the city of Athena.

Afterwards, I remember seeing a large cloud of dust rising in the distance as the Macedonians approached and their loud horns pierced the morning sky. I watched them draw closer and closer to the city walls as we sailed away from the port of Athenai... we sailed towards the rising chariot of Helios, fleeing like cowering rabbits… one of the most shameful moments in Greek history after Chaironia. I do not wish to think upon that day anymore.

Would we ever have our revenge?

Sorry about the delay, I was busy with the Tournament.

Not Actually Greek... Member NickTheGreek's Avatar

That was awesome I love the KH
    Balloons! - - A Very Super Market, - Tiberius Claudius Marcellus, - Machinor

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Good job. Koinon are my resently 3rd favorite faction.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

Awsome aar make sure you take care of those makedonian scum can't wait to see what happens I'll be following this just don't follow history
    darn where did my signature go

Thanks very much!
    I'll try to post more often, but odds are it'll still be only once a week.

Hope that doesn't bore everyone.

Dux and Strategos Member Potocello's Avatar

Great work Burebista! Good to se some more Greek lovers, i'm looking forward to more.
    "Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie"
    - from Tiberius Claudius Marcellus

Look out for the upcoming PBM! Get ready to defend your tribe from both external and internal rivals!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Hoplites succeeding over phalangites! Blasphemy!

Anyways, good job on the start. I personally can't play KH worth a damn, so I guess these AARs can enlighten me on the crazy ways of my Southern neighbours.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 02-19-2009 at 08:12.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

IS THIS AAR GOING TO GET ANYWHERE?
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

I'm slowly slythering my way towards global dominance, yes.

It just takes longer than other AARs.
    I'm a slow writer, what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Βελισάριος View Post
    I'm slowly slythering my way towards global dominance, yes.

It just takes longer than other AARs.
    I'm a slow writer, what can I say?
    It's ok, i used to be the most slow ass writer at school.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Once more, I apologise for my constant delay... I promise to try to write more often.

The Chimera

I sometimes stop to ponder… how fortunate am I to not have been of age when all this happened. The sheer madness, the horrid orgy of it all! It took years before I learned the whole truth of that ordeal. And if I were in my father’s stead on that day I would have embraced that old tradition of the Getai and sent myself willingly to the gods.

After our ships left harbour they were soon followed by another, smaller fleet. I thought those were more of our men, fleeing to safety as we were. In fact, those ships carried loot… but from where? The answer was as simple as it was shocking: from our own city. Rather than leaving Athena’s city in the hands of the Macedonian barbarians, our Strategoi decided to take all its treasures with us. The temples were emptied, their gold melted and stored away, the precious jewels, the artefacts of our ancestors all stowed aboard ship. The fields were burned, the wells poisoned… nothing but scorched earth was left for the invaders.

A handful of dust was carried by one of our emissaries to the king of Macedon with a simple, laconic message: “This is what you come to conquer.” But Antigonos’ greed could not be sated.

The messenger never returned.

Days passed slowly on the raging seas. For a few weeks we encountered no other ships until we saw a fleet ominously approaching. We did not need to see the shine of their shields or the blackness of their banners to know these were Makedonian raiders set to capture the prizes that our ships held. A mighty collision woke me up from my reverie. Outside of the cabin I slept in I could hear the sounds of battle raging, that distinctive clattering melody of iron against bronze against wood and flesh. The sound of blood gushing from a fresh wound and slithering across the floor. It slid across the floor and entered the room. I could not move when it encircled my feet, I was paralysed. My mother had to pick me up and put me on the bed.

I remember her trying to reassure me that our soldiers' bravery would keep up safe. O, how I wish those words were true, but the gods are cruel. Indeed I was kept safe... one brave Athenian saved me from being impaled on a Makedonian spear. But he could not rescue my mother from the same fate.

It drove my father insane. Though we emerged victorious from the battle, it felt nothing like a victory for him. He would never be the same. A whole month passed and his face showed no expression. He probably barely ate or drank in this time... and then only if his loyal soldiers forced him to.

I think I can only begin to grasp the rage my father must have felt then, it was perhaps similar to the one that crawls over me now when I think of those times. Instead of sailing all the way to Rhodos as we had planned, he ordered the ships northward, to the Makedonian settlement of Mytilene.

We took them by surprise. Never in their wildest dreams did they imagine a Greek navy would land in these parts. Like raging lions our soldiers took the town and then continued Eastward, towards the lands of Seleukos’ great empire. To think that close to these lands Achilles and Odysseus once landed their ships to conquer mighty Troy. So did we set out for conquest. Pergamon was the first to fall under our blade, we then moved South to where the massive temple of Artemis lay. Perhaps the most breath-taking structure I have ever laid my eyes upon, it was a great glory for our army to have retrieved this ancient wonder. The city of Halicarnassus further South surrendered without a fight the following spring.

Within two years of our shameful flight we had succeeded in conquering most of the old Greek settlements on the coast of Anatolia. Our army was by then comprised of mostly mercenaries, bloodthirsty mutts without a cause… but with the experience and ruthlessness that we needed to achieve the feat. Rhodos was no longer isolated from friendly lands, commerce flourished, we began to rebuild and restore. But we could not stop there… not while our homeland lay under the heavy boot of Makedonia’s hegemony. We were driven to conquer.

And so, three years after the sack of Athenai our Hegemon, my father, re-assembled the army and laid siege to Ipsos, a great city with a wondrous history, the site of a glorious battle, soon to deliver us our own glory on Nike’s wings. I wish I had been there that day. My father told me the Seleukid army fought like lions and though they were outnumbered, they would not yield and held out till the very last of them breathed no more. In their honour there lies a statue in the city’s centre, a great bronze lion carrying a wounded soldier’s body, it was made by the finest sculptor in the lands. They well deserved it. And the victory it commemorates was well deserved as well. Our allies, the Ptolemaioi were encouraged by our success and attacked the Seleukid Empire themselves with a fierceness their soldiers had not shown in years.

Once more, we were unstoppable. The lands of Anatolia quickly fell under our rule, and one after another, the armies of Seleukeia crumbled before our spears. The echoes of our battlecries were heard across the Aigaion, and Makedonians trembled at the news of their allies’ defeat.

But, alas, I am reminded of how unpredictable and treacherous Man can be. In the midst of our conquest, an unlikely foe rises. A power yet unchallenged by anyone in the region, the kingdom of Pontos seeks in its pride to match our conquests. The Pontic king himself leads an army against Sinope, an old ally of ours and we are forced to wage war against yet another kingdom.

So many obstacles do the gods place in our path. How many more of these Hrakleian tasks must we endure before we may finally face the Chimera of the Makedonian conquering army.

So wait youre gonna conquer Anatolia and THEN go and kick so Makedonian ***?
    And what about Sparta??

My balloons:

That's right.

And what about Sparta??
    Hahaaa. Stay tuned to find out in the next chapter.
    But seriously, this is written from the perspective of the main character, and he has no idea what's going on in Sparta. Nor is it all that relevant at this point.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

kick so Makedonian ***?
    What? WHAT? WHAT?

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Βελισάριος View Post
    That's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    What? WHAT? WHAT?

Maion
    lol. That's right. Kick some makedon a**!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by the man with no name; 03-02-2009 at 19:23.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2