Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

Default Re: Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

Well, I rarely found the political terms americans use very clever but they keep using them and they own the internet, so what can we do?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Well, I rarely found the political terms americans use very clever but they keep using them and they own the internet, so what can we do?
    Boycott the internet and go to the barricades!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

From Philanthopy.com:
    Obama's Tax Plan Could Cause Giving by the Wealthy to Drop by Several Billion Dollars Annually
    So, good idea, or great idea?
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    From Philanthopy.com:
    So, good idea, or great idea?
    could

I can think of a boatload of ideas that could cause any number of things. Could is a tad vague, no?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Increasing (or re-instating) taxation on charitable donations seems likely to do so, logically. Heck, charitable donations went down with the economy; with less money available due to increasing taxes, why would it do anything but continue to drop?

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    could

I can think of a boatload of ideas that could cause any number of things. Could is a tad vague, no?
    Read the article- all I posted was the headline. Don't just jump on the word "could" in the title and proceed to dismiss all the reasoning that went into it out of hand.

I'd like to think that upper-income folks give to charity purely for the fact that they like helping others and that it being a tax write-off doesn't factor in. But seriously, don't you think the tax advantage plays at least some role?
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-05-2009 at 05:58.
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Politico takes notice of Obama's teleprompter addiction:
    President Barack Obama doesn’t go anywhere without his TelePrompter.

The textbook-sized panes of glass holding the president’s prepared remarks follow him wherever he speaks.

Resting on top of a tall, narrow pole, they flank his podium during speeches in the White House’s stately parlors. They stood next to him on the floor of a manufacturing plant in Indiana as he pitched his economic stimulus plan. They traveled to the Department of Transportation this week and were in the Capitol Rotunda last month when he paid tribute to Abraham Lincoln in six-minute prepared remarks.

Obama’s reliance on the teleprompter is unusual — not only because he is famous for his oratory, but because no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    “pro-choice”: pro- abortion. Most of them are for Gun Control, hardly “pro-choice” stance...
    It's perfectly valid in regards to issues of life, not issues of arms control.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The Politico takes notice of Obama's teleprompter addiction:
    He's still in that "anything but the last guy" n00bie stage. W did it with Clinton, Billy with HWbush, on back ad infinitum - they've all done that.

-don't fumble your words
    -don't fall into "folksie"
    -don't invade Iraq
    -don't let the WTC fall
    -don't bankrupt the country (oops, that might need tweaking) :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I'm just happy everyone in the world is experiencing "Hope and Change" like we are here in the States; Global economic downturn and another Great Depression (Obamas words) is Change we all can believe in!!!

This is what the world view of a community organizer looks like... enjoy it fellow members of planet earth.

My 401K looks awesome!!! Everytime this guy's teleprompter tells him what to say, the DOW drops atleast another 150.
    RIP Tosa

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    It's perfectly valid in regards to issues of life, not issues of arms control.
    Heard that before, and my reaction is the same.

Regardless, I shall give you another example. The issue of the death penalty. As pro-choice people are generally against the death penalty, I see no reason why they would be opposed to a responsible body of people, after due deliberation, passing a death sentence. After all, it is the choice of the people.

I can go on ad nauseum, but I hope that instead of trying to defend your side, you will see my point.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    I'm just happy everyone in the world is experiencing "Hope and Change" like we are here in the States [...]
    Yup, seems like the vast majority of Americans are hoping and changing as hard as they can:

The poll found a sharp jump in the proportion of Americans who say the nation is "generally headed in the right direction" since Mr. Obama's January inauguration, a period when economic indicators and financial markets have suggested the opposite. The survey shows that 41% of Americans say the country is headed in the right direction, up dramatically from 26% in mid-January, before Mr. Obama took office, and up from 12% before the election.

The number who say the country is on the "wrong track" is still higher at 44%, but given the economic conditions, pollsters expected it to be much higher.

In the past, similarly sudden improvements in national mood were recorded only after national emergencies that prompted a rallying effect, such as the 2001 terrorist attacks. In this case, the boost is being driven by Democrats and other Obama voters who are pleased with the opening weeks of the administration. Overall, two-thirds of all Americans say they feel "hopeful" about Mr. Obama's leadership and plans, compared with 28% who say they feel "doubtful."

Take this only as seriously as you want to, it is not meant as a prophecy per se, but only as a funny coincidence.
    Stalin was named Man of the Year by Time Magazine.
    Hitler was named Man of the Year by Time Magazine.
    WWII broke out.
    Putin was named Person of the Year by Time Magazine.
    Obama was named Person of the Year by Time Magazine.

Hitler ran on the slogan of change. (Don't have my book with me, but something like: "If you want to keep doing the same thing, vote for the other guy. If you want change, vote for Hitler")
    Hitler relied heavily on symbols and taking advantage of a national crisis that he promised to lift Germany out of.
    Obama ran on a slogan of change.
    Obama relied heavily on symbols and taking advantage of a national crisis that he promised to lift America out of.

The entire world loved Hitler and wanted him elected, because he preached politics of Hope for a new age to the world.
    The entire world loved Obama and wanted him elected, because he preached politics of Hope for a new age to the world.

Hitler supported abortion (until he needed a higher population), gun control, more government direction of industry, bigger national government, etc.
    Obama supports abortion, gun control, more government direction of industry, bigger national government, etc.

Race factored significantly into Hitler's run.
    Race factored significantly into Obama's run.

There was a cult in Russia built around Stalin's personality.
    There was a cult in Germany built around Hitler's personality.

There was a cult in Russia built around Putin's personality.
    There is a cult in America built around Obama's personality.

Once in power Hitler quickly set out to made deals with Stalin.
    Once in power Obama quickly set out to made deals with Putin.

A Historian is a Prophet in reverse - Benjiman Franklin (I think, not sure about that one)

EDIT: Hitler created a massive civilian section of the military that he then used to control the country.
    Obama wants to create a massive civilian section of the military...
    Last edited by Vuk; 03-07-2009 at 09:43.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I'm just happy everyone in the world is experiencing "Hope and Change" like we are here in the States; Global economic downturn and another Great Depression (Obamas words) is Change we all can believe in!!!

This is what the world view of a community organizer looks like... enjoy it fellow members of planet earth.

My 401K looks awesome!!! Everytime this guy's teleprompter tells him what to say, the DOW drops atleast another 150.
    The ignorance of this post is suffocating me.

Vuk, your post is really silly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090306/...clinton_russia

lol, it was meant to be funny in a way. :P
    Last edited by Vuk; 03-07-2009 at 09:37.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    The ignorance of this post is suffocating me.

Welcome to the Backroom.

You will find that Devastatin' Dave has an idiosyncratic view of some subjects, but is nonetheless loved by all. (Yes, Lemur, it's true )

We discourage one-line rebuttals that merely rely on a charge of ignorance as their argument. Good form is to demonstrate the member's mistake in a respectful fashion, or with clearly signposted humour (supported by smileys).
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Lavrov to Hillary Clinton: You're doing it wrong.
    The Politico reports She handed a palm-sized box wrapped with a bow. Lavrov opened it and pulled out the gift: a red button on a black base with a Russian word peregruzka printed on top.

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?” Clinton asked.

“You got it wrong,” Lavrov said.

Instead of "reset," Lavrov said the word on the box meant “overcharge.”

Clinton and Lavrov laughed.

“We won’t let you do that to us,” she said. Trying to recover, Clinton said the new administration was serious about improving relations with Moscow. “We mean it, and we’re looking forward to it.”
    I think this is pretty symbolic of the Obama administration's foreign policy thus far.

Russian media teases Clinton over 'reset' button
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-07-2009 at 19:11.
    -Abraham Lincoln

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Lavrov to Hillary Clinton: You're doing it wrong.I think this is pretty symbolic of the Obama administration's foreign policy thus far.

Russian media teases Clinton over 'reset' button
    God, how embarrassing. Atleast the Russians now for a fact now its amatuer hour for the US government...

Welcome to the back room a completely inoffensive name, enjoy my ignorance and I will enjoy your naivity!!!

Sorry to suffocate you, you'll just have to learn to breath through your nose when your mouth is occupied.
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 03-07-2009 at 21:02.
    RIP Tosa

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

God, how embarrassing. Atleast the Russians now for a fact now its amatuer hour for the US government...

Welcome to the back room a completely inoffensive name, enjoy my ignorance and I will enjoy your naivity!!!

Sorry to suffocate you, you'll just have to learn to breath through your nose when your mouth is occupied.
    Louis learned that along time ago

As for Obama. As much as I want some crazy cataclysmic event to take the lives of my friends and family while I scream "I was right I was right, teh antichrist" I think he will just go the way of James Earl Carter.

Boring but that's what I see. Ho hum
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    As for Obama. As much as I want some crazy cataclysmic event to take the lives of my friends and family while I scream "I was right I was right, teh antichrist" I think he will just go the way of James Earl Carter.

Boring but that's what I see. Ho hum
    So, he'll be a one-termer and followed by Reagan?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

So, he'll be a one-termer and followed by Reagan?
    One could only hope!
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Zombie Reagan wants brains - and tax cuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Zombie Reagan wants brains - and tax cuts!
    Not to start an off-topic debate or anything, but the government gets their money from the people, and the more money that the people have, the more money the government can get.

EDIT: And BTW, I am one of the few conservatives out there you will find who is NOT a fan of Reagan - not by any stretch. I admire his values, but I think he was off on too much. He was probably one of the best though.
    Last edited by Vuk; 03-08-2009 at 09:43.

I was jus' bein silly.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Telegraph says certain 'sources' say the President was too tired not to snub the British Prime Minister.
    Sources close to the White House say Mr Obama and his staff have been "overwhelmed" by the economic meltdown and have voiced concerns that the new president is not getting enough rest.

British officials, meanwhile, admit that the White House and US State Department staff were utterly bemused by complaints that the Prime Minister should have been granted full-blown press conference and a formal dinner, as has been customary. They concede that Obama aides seemed unfamiliar with the expectations that surround a major visit by a British prime minister.

But Washington figures with access to Mr Obama's inner circle explained the slight by saying that those high up in the administration have had little time to deal with international matters, let alone the diplomatic niceties of the special relationship.
    The real views of many in Obama administration were laid bare by a State Department official involved in planning the Brown visit, who reacted with fury when questioned by The Sunday Telegraph about why the event was so low-key.

The official dismissed any notion of the special relationship, saying: "There's nothing special about Britain. You're just the same as the other 190 countries in the world. You shouldn't expect special treatment." The apparent lack of attention to detail by the Obama administration is indicative of what many believe to be Mr Obama's determination to do too much too quickly.
    For a guy that campaigned on 'restoring our alliances', using diplomacy to solve all the world's problems and all that, this is especially pathetic.

Bush didn't pull this kind of stunt (iirc) and his appointments, save for Harriet Miers, certainly went over better.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    The Telegraph says certain 'sources' say the President was too tired not to snub the British Prime Minister.

For a guy that campaigned on 'restoring our alliances', using diplomacy to solve all the world's problems and all that, this is especially pathetic.

Bush didn't pull this kind of stunt (iirc) and his appointments, save for Harriet Miers, certainly went over better.
    That's a half-hearted excuse if I ever heard one. The real reason, of course comes later:
    They concede that Obama aides seemed unfamiliar with the expectations that surround a major visit by a British prime minister.
    I guess that's what happens when you elect a political neophyte.

It's kind of hard to imagine that at least someone in the White House didn't know the proper protocol for a state visit, but the alternative to ignorance is a deliberate snub of our closest ally and it's hard to imagine why Obama would do that.

In other Obama news, the fight to pass the Legalized Worker Intimidation Act, which is laughably called the "Employee Free Choice Act" begins. I think it's great the Democrats have their priorities straight. I mean, what could be more important right now than giving a big wet kiss to their union donors?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

That's a half-hearted excuse if I ever heard one. The real reason, of course comes later:I guess that's what happens when you elect a political neophyte.

It's kind of hard to imagine that at least someone in the White House didn't know the proper protocol for a state visit, but the alternative to ignorance is a deliberate snub of our closest ally and it's hard to imagine why Obama would do that.

In other Obama news, the fight to pass the Legalized Worker Intimidation Act, which is laughably called the "Employee Free Choice Act" begins. I think it's great the Democrats have their priorities straight. I mean, what could be more important right now than giving a big wet kiss to their union donors?
    And NOBODY in the White House protocol or Dept. of State could have briefed anybody?

Possible, I suppose, but that's a surprising degree of negligence from a group that was so successful in image management during the campaign.

Are we sure it isn't Obama snubbing Brown in order to signal to a majority of the UK'ers (Brown has higher approval than Dubya did this past year, but I understand it isn't by much) and the current Labour Govt. that they should replace him?

What do our UK'er folks think?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Are we sure it isn't Obama snubbing Brown in order to signal to a majority of the UK'ers (Brown has higher approval than Dubya did this past year, but I understand it isn't by much) and the current Labour Govt. that they should replace him?
    Could be. But I think that kind of meddling would be considered very bad form. Like I said, the implications of it being a deliberate snub actually seem worse than it being incompetence.
    -Abraham Lincoln

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

What do our UK'er folks think?

I wouldn't think so... mainly for two reasons...

one it isn't a given that Brown will not be re-elected so it would be counter productive to actively campaign for him to be voted out

two imagine the reaction in the US if a foriegn prime minister gave his support to an opposition candidate, US public would probably react badly to it, i don't think the uk public would mind quite as much but there would be some negative reaction towards it.

Personally i suspect that Brown was eager to be seen with Obama to help sure up support at home and was willing to squeeze himself into Obama's busy schedule...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast