Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts & Commentary on the Obama Administration

And there is more: Mr. O pooh-pooh's UK 2001 gift, and blunders in gift exchange.

... Well, eventually the ice breaks and America goes up and we pull that thing out of the ice and we sail it over to England and we return her in, like, 1850 something or other as a gift. Well, the Resolute is in service for England and, you know, it signifies our gift to England and we say, please forgive us for everything that we've gone through in the past 50, 75 years. We are brothers. The Resolute is a big deal. So when the Resolute is decommissioned, Queen Elizabeth decides, I'm going to take the wood and I'm going to make two desks. I'm going to make one for me and one for the president. This is as significant as France giving us the Statue of Liberty. So she takes this and she makes it into two desks. It's the desk that -- remember little JFK, Jr., he opens up the trap door and he looks, you know, through it? That's the USS Resolute desk. There's only two of them: One with the queen, one with us. FDR put that door there. This is such a historic desk. He put that door there so it would hide his wheelchair so nobody could see his wheelchair. The door is the only place where the seal has the eagle looking down at the arrows instead of the olive branches, okay?

So what does Gordon Brown do? He comes to meet with the president and he gives him a set of pens made from the wood of the USS Resolute to match the desk that should be in a museum. He gives him a matching set of pens. Barack Obama hands him a basket -- I'm not kidding you, hands him a basket of DVDs that he can't play...
    Dear British Friends and Staunch Allies:

Please let me apologise for this. I am so ashamed. We have kept our new leader so busy lately, right out of the gate, that we've failed to get him up to speed - I think no one has told him yet that He is the leader of the free world. We'll (and he'll) do better soon, I promise.

Sincerely,

The United States of America
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

While it is a little incompetent to give someone a present they can't use (the DVD's) in terms of its effect on the UK population im sure we'll get over it, infact im sure i could support our leaders giving each other more economical gifts. Thinking on it do our leaders really need to give each other gifts... they are wealthy men already....

Though i suppose i wouldn't want Gordon Brown 'snubbing' another leader in such a way.... it is more the uncaring attitude that comes across with it...

If its any consolation this snub by obama is making people question our special relationship and may push people more the way of further eu integration!

BTW how is this special relationship seen in the US, i always thought its was more of a UK term to describe our relationship with the US more seeing us a close ally, something like a more independent less controversial Israel, but some americans seem to see it as a special relationship also...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I think of Great Britain as a colder, less friendly version of Hawaii. You know, an important military staging area that also has some other stuff going on. Frankly, I think you should save yourselves a lot of bother and become the 51st state. We'll let the Queen stay on as a sort of semi-official celebrity if it will make you happy. You'll get two Senators out of the deal. Your tax burden would be slashed in half, but you'd lose your single-payer healthcare.

In keeping with the American tradition of having obscure cities be the capitol, we'd need you to change your seat of government from London to Milton Keynes.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    While it is a little incompetent to give someone a present they can't use (the DVD's) in terms of its effect on the UK population im sure we'll get over it, infact im sure i could support our leaders giving each other more economical gifts. Thinking on it do our leaders really need to give each other gifts... they are wealthy men already....

Though i suppose i wouldn't want Gordon Brown 'snubbing' another leader in such a way.... it is more the uncaring attitude that comes across with it...

If its any consolation this snub by obama is making people question our special relationship and may push people more the way of further eu integration!

BTW how is this special relationship seen in the US, i always thought its was more of a UK term to describe our relationship with the US more seeing us a close ally, something like a more independent less controversial Israel, but some americans seem to see it as a special relationship also...
    Funny you describe it that way. Lotsa guys over here, smarter than me, describe it just that way: "like Israel, without the complications". LOL.

I don't fancy myself speaking for the US, but I see it this way:

we left you, to be free of what we saw as religious oppression, but hung onto you for support, anyway. After years of that dependant status, we decided the price of that support was too high, in liberty restrictions and money matters, so complained. Those complaints having fallen on deaf ears (so we thought) we decided to divorce ourselves from you (a procedure we learned from you).

You objected to the divorce, and our proposed settlement terms - so we fought. Meanwhile, we wrote some pretty fancy, high-falutin' words about freedom and equality and creator's intent and self-determination. We won the fight when you lost interest.

Then, just to be sure it really was "over", we fought again a few years later, and you burned down the Boss's house - showing that you coulda kicked our butts if ya wanted to, but didn't. We settled for a minor after-treaty victory in Louisiana. You again, lost interest.

Time marched on. And we started to take those high-falutin' words seriously - and so did the rest of the world. And they, and you, and we, held us to them. So we fought a civil war over those "equal" and "freedom" words. And started to broaden our idea of just who was a "citizen", entitled to rights and privileges.

Meanwhile, in your land, you took notice, and started applying similar principles to your area. Pretty soon, it was almost a race to see who could be the free-est, most equalist, of the 2 of us.

Then some nutters on the continent got frisky, and you got involved. After much anguish, we realized we were pals now, united not only be an instinctive striving for freedom, but a seeming mutual tendancy to see the world as "free" or "not free", and to prefer the company of the "free".

Then it happened again on the continent, and after much more anguish (I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but: we'd rather not fight) we joined in, with you hosting millions of our warriors.

Since then (or maybe before), we've felt a special relationship with Britain; like an older 1st cousin; a bit odd for our taste, but always there in a tussel, covering our rear. We can only but be there whenever they need, too.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Obama Monday:
    On Monday, Obama issued a memorandum effectively negating Bush’s signing statements by telling agencies not to follow on them without consulting with the Justice Department in advance.

“There is no doubt that the practice of issuing such statements can be abused,” Obama’s directive said. “Constitutional signing statements should not be use to suggest that the President will disregard statutory requirements on the basis of policy disagreements.”
    Obama today:
    After Obama signed the $410 spending bill that keeps the government funded until October, the White House released a statement outlining its take on the constitutionality of several of the bill's provisions.

Perhaps the most notable portion of the statement gives Obama room to reallocate money as he sees fit without abiding by the spending bill's requirement to first get approval from Congress
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

And George HW Bush went to a grocery store in the early 90s, saw an item scanner, and remarked how amazing it was and asked how long it had been in use and it turns out it had been around for the last, i dunno, 5 years. Get over it. So the president doesn't know his DVDs can't be played in the UK, Big Frakkin Deal, he probably also doesn't know Islamabad is the capitol of France.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Energy Corporations moving to Switzerland

Yet a wave of energy companies has in the last few months announced plans to move to Switzerland -- mainly for its appeal as a low-tax corporate domicile that looks relatively likely to stay out of reach of Barack Obama's tax-seeking administration.
    So do we have to call "Big Oil" it's name in French or German?

FBI Raid Obama appointee
    Federal agents this morning are searching the office Washington, D.C.'s Chief Technology Officer.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post

FBI Raid Obama appointee
    RIP America.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post

Well, that's where all of his class warfare rhetoric and demonizing gets us. These companies, ultimately, are going to look out for their best interests. They're not going to sit here and take it while the president engages in name-calling and threatens to put the economic screws to them.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, here's something I can agree on:
    Obama's Drug Czar will Focus on Treatment instead of Incarceration
    The White House said yesterday that it will push for treatment, rather than incarceration, of people arrested for drug-related crimes as it announced the nomination of Seattle Police Chief R. Gil Kerlikowske to oversee the nation's effort to control illegal drugs.

The choice of drug czar and the emphasis on alternative drug courts, announced by Vice President Biden, signal a sharp departure from Bush administration policies, gravitating away from cutting the supply of illicit drugs from foreign countries and toward curbing drug use in communities across the United States.
    As a plus, it also gets the idiot Seattle police chief out of the state. He's anti-gun, but also got his gun stolen out of his car.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I think of Great Britain as a colder, less friendly version of Hawaii. You know, an important military staging area that also has some other stuff going on.
    I've been told Churchill looked quite fetching in a mumu...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Spino; 03-12-2009 at 20:57.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

That's it I'm moving to Switzerland. Are the chics there hawt? Are there Muslims? Can I keeps my guns?

So I'm reading today that most everyone who opposed the spending bill filled with pork actually threw in their own projects because, to quote Dr Dre, "I gotta get mine." On one hand, why should only the
    Democrats bring home some scrilla? On the other hand, saying you are opposed to something but you will do it if everyone else is doing it is sort of, um, lacking in the cajones department. It's the best of both worlds come re-election time.

Of course voting against it and not taking money for pet projects would allow one to completely resolve oneself of responsibility for future fiscal debt and claim moral superiority in future issues, but I guess not everyone can be Tom Coburn now can they? I wonder if Muskogee is proud of him, or if they will oust him next election for not getting them any bling.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

to quote Dr Dre, "I gotta get mine."

It is a difficult choice for politicians no doubt, at what point do you abandon your philosphy and go with practicality... you are after all there to do the best for the people of your state... i guess i wouldn't be overly citical of those politicians taking a practical viewpoint...

There is something you can really admire about sticking to your guns though...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Commentary so far: I hope the stem cell issue results in scientists being able to regenerate spines (literally and metaphorically). He could use one (particularly with the string of broken promises thus far, what was that bit about ending the war in Iraq again? lol), so cant the republicans (I mean jindal and palin are the best they have now? lulz).

Other then that too soon to tell, the liberal police havent hunted me down yet for my NRA membership.

Oh yeah the belling aching over the spending. When he starts 2 wars, then cuts taxes in the middle and dosent include the costs in his budgets I'll bitch about it. IMHO he's a touch better then bush, at least hes incurring the debt on thing that will likely be built here not a 3rd world backwater that dosent want us there in the first place.

Were in debt and will be for a long time, I much rather have a new safe bridge then enuculate 100,000 africans against typhoid, or set up regimes in the middle east to counter balance Iran.

So far his grade from me is B (it would have been a C+ to B- but his budget inclusion of war costs got him bonus points).
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Fundamentals of this economy are sound!

The economy is fundamentally sound despite the temporary "mess" it's in, the White House said Sunday in the kind of upbeat assessment that Barack Obama had mocked as a presidential candidate.
    During the fall campaign, Obama relentlessly criticized his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain, for declaring, "The fundamentals of our economy are strong." Obama's team painted the veteran senator as out of touch and failing to grasp the challenges facing the country.
    One does love some good ol' Sunday politicking.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Anyone else remember McCain being attacked from proposing to partially privatize veteran's healthcare? Well....
    Obama mulls making vets foot bill for service injuries

In other news, Mexico has imposed tariffs on US goods after a trucking program was killed as part of the recent spending bill that was passed by congress and signed into law.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-18-2009 at 01:10.
    -Abraham Lincoln

the trucking law should not have been killed. All the pooh-pooh about the trucks being dangerous to americans on the highways turned out to be unsubstantiated and ultimately false, and it had a hardly, if any, impact on American jobs. Now, if the trucks covered under this law were being used to smuggle immigrants or drugs, that would be another story, but I have heard nothing to indicate such, as all the mexican vehicles caught smuggling on american highways around here are illegal to begin with

the thing about the VA has been brewing for a few days now, but I wanted to wait for more info before I commented. I don't think it would pass Congress

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

The only reason I can think of for killing the Mexican truckers bill was a discussion I had with a trucker from California. He just dropped my parents' car off from San Diego. Guess what, we can't drive trucks there either, and we wouldn't be able to with the passage of this bill.

Quid pro quo. You want Luis driving a rig in Duluth? Let Bubba drive a rig in Guadalajara. Or quit your damn bitchin.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Understandable, but I bet the list of American truckers who want to foray into Mexico is a pretty damned short list.

Nonetheless, seems like thats how NAFTA has worked so far: illegal immigration and outsourcing to mexico, neither of which benefits american workers. It's a take-take situation on the part of Mexico. The difference in currency value ensures that. The only thing I could see American truckers wanting to haul through Mexico would be goods from outsourced manufacturing plants returning the product to the US, and even then why would the company pay an American to do it when they could get cheaper drivers down there?

Killing the law seems a bit protectionist, and really doesn't improve anything, but hey, if it makes the Mexican government angry I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    but hey, if it makes the Mexican government angry I'm all for it.
    That's the spirit! Boo international cooperation!

Democrats like Jim Webb of Virginia give me a hard-on because they aren't liberals and, I hope, will keep the Obamas and Pelosis in check. Republicans like Tom Coburn give me a bigger boner because they stick to their principles, even if it means they won't get re-elected because they aren't bringing home the pork. I don't know what this has to do with the thread but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Conservative Dems and moderate Repubs are a good thing. Both parties become their ugliest, most useless selves when the fringes are allowed into the drivers' seat.

I find the argument for earmarks that its only 1% of the total bill price is hilarious. What an awesome way to do business....the bigger the price of the main body of the bill the smaller percentage the earmark will make up....no one would dare do 1 million of earmarks for a 4 million dollar bill, for a 4 mill you just do 40k, no fuss. But the more earmarks you want the more you need to spend altogether so theres plenty of reason to overspend: you don't want to look like you are overspending! It's all so clearz now!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    The only reason I can think of for killing the Mexican truckers bill was a discussion I had with a trucker from California. He just dropped my parents' car off from San Diego. Guess what, we can't drive trucks there either, and we wouldn't be able to with the passage of this bill.

Quid pro quo. You want Luis driving a rig in Duluth? Let Bubba drive a rig in Guadalajara. Or quit your damn bitchin.
    There was this was a spending bill, it wasn't to allow for the trucks. What the bill did was cut funding for the program that was already in place.

Also, my understanding is that US trucks were allowed into Mexico along the lines of a similar pilot program that the US had, although I expect Mexico would have similarly ended their program as well. I can find passing references to that fact, but pretty much all Google results about US, trucks, and Mexico are all about the US ban and I can find little the talks about US trucks in Mexico with any specificity. If anyone can shed some more light on that, it'd be appreciated.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    I can find passing references to that fact, but pretty much all Google results about US, trucks, and Mexico are all about the US ban and I can find little the talks about US trucks in Mexico with any specificity.
    Yeah, hard to find any relevant info from the news sites (which dominate google). This little tidbit from Reuters refers to USDA data:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Last year, Mexico was the top export destination for U.S. rice, the No. 2 destination for soybeans and the third largest buyer of U.S. wheat, according to U.S. Agriculture Department data.
    Suggesting .gov websites might reveal more.

This isn't .gov, but records USDA-reported exports of various product from US > Mexico. Mostly "down" sadly for that week.

Maybe that stuff is shipped via boat, or train, or donkey cart; we don't know, so looking at dot.gov for guidance, we get:

DOTs press release (2007) touting that:

Quote Originally Posted by DOT pr
    Approximately 100 U.S. operators would be licensed by Mexico for cross-border operations.
    Then this 2007 worldnet article announces reciprocal 100 Mexican operators access to US roads:

Quote Originally Posted by worldnetdaily article
    As WND previously reported, when the Mexican truck pilot project initially was introduced by Peters Feb. 23, the test was entirely one-way. Mexican trucks from 100 Mexican trucking companies were to be given free access to the U.S., but at that time, Mexico had not agreed to open up to U.S. trucks.
    So, looks like 100 operators = 100 operators. Eventually.

But now that's going away.

I hear you can make a good buck trucking guns down to Mexico. 2000 , according to Mexico, cross the border each day and all fly into the hands of the cartels. 2000 a day, and most of them assault rifles/ Thats 740k per year, and seems to me to be vastly exagerrated

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4855001.shtml
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 03-19-2009 at 04:11.

Devastatin' Dave's worst nightmare:

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Obama made a joke about the special Olympics, in relation to his bowling skills:
    http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=301603

A bowler for the special olympics, who's bowled five perfect games since 2005, says he can beat the president "easily":
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

But really, a special oylmpics joke? That's pathetic.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast