Default Re: Mass Effect 2 teaser

I stopped playing because

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I didn't have the stats to keep Wrex from dying

so I agree with you completely Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    You're just saying that because the developers kept saying it. :P
    Well maybe. But some of the concept art looks promising. You're right, if the game has any dark atmosphere like BLADERUNNER I'm gonna go "wet and wild".

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I just hope it doesn't become a "shades of grey" color palette too much. I liked the really sunny planet where

wrex died

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Mass Effect 2 teaser

Well guys, I just got my new copy of OXM and there's a 10 page article giving some new details on ME 2. The city that you saw in the early leaked trailers is an Asari city or planet called Illium. The article said both in different sections. So we'll have to wait until we get more from E3 on that. That's good, because I thought it was an expanded part of the Citadel. Other new places we'll see are the main Cerberus outpost. It's a huge space station with gigantic curved engines running beneath it. There's a prison outpost called Purgatory where guards patrol above the inmates in glass tubes. There is Omega, which was mentioned in the Ascension novel. It is described as the opposite of the Citadel, a massive and really brutal mining station. It's the bottom of society, the worst of crime and vice and all that good stuff. And there's a new Krogan planet that we'll be going to.

Ok, more importantly are the Reapers. Of course they're still the greatest danger, but now there's a new threat that may be associated with them. Human colonies are disappearing all over the galaxy, and it's up to Shepard (naturally) to discover what it is. The Geth from the trailer is a specific character. Not much else is given about "him", but it's a character that we'll connect with supposedly. You guys can theorize on that one. There's a new speceis called Drell, the scaly, green amphibious alien that you saw in the second trailer. A member of that species, Thane, is supposedly a major bad-a$$ and you'll get the chance to recruit him into your party. Another possible party member is a Krogan called Grunt. He looks to be a fairly young Krogan as his head plate isn't as fully formed like Wrex, Jax, or Inamorda. Hey, if you didn't kill Wrex in the first game, you may get to roll with two Krogan in your squad! Sweet!! Also there may be a chance to meet up with a male Quarian as well.

The mechs in the video and the article seem to be manufactured by humans, as there is human lettering on their bodies such as N88 and other writing too small for me to see. They could be Cerberus mechs that we'll have to fight in the game. That's all I've got for you so far guys. If I learn anything else, I'll post it up.
    http://forums.xbox.com/27364961/ShowPost.aspx
    Last edited by Mailman653; 05-26-2009 at 16:18.

Another new trailer.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Hey, if you didn't kill Wrex in the first game, you may get to roll with two Krogan in your squad! Sweet!!
    Best party ever.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Another new trailer.
    Well hello Commander Shepard, i see reports of your death were greatly exaggerated.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-29-2009 at 20:19.

Blog Entries

Another new trailer.
    Blooming fedora 10 cant run video files at more than 5 frames per hour..
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-29-2009 at 22:14.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    3:10 - Plasma rockets. Aww yeah. Weapons in general seem to have gotten a complete overhaul, which is a great thing I think. In the first you had four weapon types and the only real difference between the newer equipment you'd find was how hard it hit (basically). The inclusion of heavy weapons is a much welcomed feature, as are the reworked animations. Sheppard in Cover looked especially good.

The talk of new skills was expected, but I can't help but wonder how they intend to include them with characters already maxed out, or those near the cap. The leveling system in ME1 is quite rigid and aquiring new skills a bit like jumping through hoops (hoops that are on fire). I would hope they've revamped it to allow returning characters ease of transition, not to mention the chance to scoop up a new power or two from the start. My level 50 Adept needs some new toys..

Really looking forward to more footage of the game play coming out in the near future. The game looks great, but I wonder if we could get a look at some different locals. The dark city is gorgeous and all but I want some diversity!
    Last edited by Monk; 06-04-2009 at 09:31.

Eurogamer preview.

The ability to interrupt conversations is going to make my renegade playthrough that little bit more enjoyable.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

So, to recap, Shepard isn't dead yet, but you'll have to work extra hard throughout Mass Effect 2 to keep him alive
    As far as plot goes, this is the best news I've heard yet. Having Shepard dead at the start of the game completely takes the player out of the equation and potentially forces a static plot device onto a very (potentially) diverse character depending on how you choose to portray him/her. Having the possibility of Shepard's death on the player's watch makes it much easier to accept if push comes to shove, after all you ere there, why didn't you stop it!

However, the most interesting tidbit is from the same paragraph, not one line before.

It's one potential death out of many, apparently: deadly treats liberally sprinkled throughout the campaign, all of them much more than a simple 'game over' screen and option to restart, each one an elaborate cinematic and a strangely satisfying conclusion.
    It's like a galactic Choose Your Own Adventure Book. Should you trust the Merc, or go back the way you came? Hm. I'm gonna trust this Merc, i like the look of him. *turns to page 29* OH GOD I MEANT GO BACK THE WAY I CAME.

Kidding aside this is very interesting, having multiple pitfalls around the game where you can potentially bite the dust really intrigues me, especially if they all offer up some sort of closure, good or ill. It's like giving flair to the Game Over screen. It could also make you think twice before trying to intimidate a group of hardened cerberus troops into standing down, they might just haul off and shoot you...
    Last edited by Monk; 06-04-2009 at 17:10.

You can expect me to be getting this for Christmas. I am still interested in the status of your companions from ME1. It would be interesting if they stuck with you throughout the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    You can expect me to be getting this for Christmas. I am still interested in the status of your companions from ME1. It would be interesting if they stuck with you throughout the trilogy.
    I think in one of the many videos to come out of E3, the dev's stated the game could come out early next year but wouldn't give an exact date.

I think in one of the many videos to come out of E3, the dev's stated the game could come out early next year but wouldn't give an exact date.
    Ahh that's right. Early 2010 they said. Oh well, just means I won't be divided between it and Modern Warfare 2 when Christmas does come around.

Some Crazy stuff came out of e3 about ME2. In case you haven't seen it,here's a chance to see one of the new characters (Thane), along with some dialogue action. The Asari was in ME1. See if you can guess who she is.

Final clarification on how Shepard's death will work was also revealed on Kotaku.

MAJOR SPOILERS TO BE FOUND IN THIS. However, it also provided some really cool insight as to the new plot points Along with a teasing bit that Bioware doesn't expect you to be able to keep Shepard alive.

Joystiq talked a lot about the (SOME SPOILERS)plot points, as Kotaku did, and came to some of the same conclusions. They also delved deeper into the gameplay action and their findings have me pretty hyped. Bioware seems to be incorporating more mainstream FPS features like regenerating health and abandoning the usage of health packs. Not sure I am fully on board with that, but the demo players seemed to think it worked quite well.

Well there's literally tons of media that came out of E3, way more for me to link. Take a look for yourself over at the main Mass Effect 2 forums if you want to see more e3 news.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-12-2009 at 19:30.

I think this is the point where I shall stop reading previews. I have seen enough to trust it will be a worthy sequel; the rest can be left to surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Bioware seems to be incorporating more mainstream FPS features like regenerating health and abandoning the usage of health packs. Not sure I am fully on board with that, but the demo players seemed to think it worked quite well.
    IMO something needed doing to the fast first aid system. Medgel quickly became obsolete, incapable of healthing more than a fraction of the characters' health even when backed by a maxed out version of the relevant party skill. By the time I hit insanity that maxed medgel healed fewer points than the average attack caused. Add in the 9 unit medgel cap and the final nail was in the coffin.

Everything I am hearing about Mass Effect has me seriously hyped, the only thing that can potentially hold it back at this point is technical issues. Here's hoping they take their time.

The loyalty concept has me really intrigued. It looks like they are taking the Wrex concept from Mass Effect and multiplying it by a hundred, and something about that really makes me happy.

For those who don't know what I mean...

For those who could never get Wrex to survive, or never had enough Renegade/Paragon points to talk your way through it, you can do a side-mission for Wrex to ensure his survival.

Talk to Wrex about his life after each major mission before Virmire, eventually he'll tell you about his Father and tell you the story of why he left the Krogan Homeworld. After he tells you this story do more investigating, you should see an option to talk abouth is family. Press the issue and Wrex will tell you about how his Grandfather's armor was stolen after the war and he'll ask you to take him with you to kill the guy who has it. Take a major tech character with you when you land with Wrex like Tali or Garrus as the safe that contains his armor has a rediculously high skill check.

Complete this mission and Wrex will remark "you did more for me than my family ever did" and will not need a speech check in order to convince. He'll trust you enough to follow you, on the condition that he gets Sarren's head when all this is over.

It was a really cool concept, and one of the few instances in the first game of your actions helping cement the loyalty of one of your followers.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-20-2009 at 03:37.

It's been a while since we've had any ME2 news, and by now I'm sure if you have made the choice to buy the game you won't need any more convincing. So with that in mind I post an interesting nugget to remind you, It's coming.

It felt like, to me, a lot of the build-up towards the first game was about Saren and the threat he posed. It certainly feels like Bioware has shifted the focus this time toward Shepard and his squad, and this art just hammers that point forward more imo. Also here's a trailer of the leads at Bioware talking more about the mission(same source) and really just expanding on the huge amount of coverage we saw at E3. This trailer is couple weeks old, (july 10th) but hey it's new to me.

They also (finally!) talk about planetary scanning shortly, which looks looks absolutely amazing.
    Last edited by Monk; 07-31-2009 at 05:43.

Curse you, Bioware, work faster! 2010 is very far away.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/...1014951p1.html
    New Krogan video.

Plus there's an interesting item offer at the end.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 08-18-2009 at 18:17.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

It's been a while since we've had any ME2 news, and by now I'm sure if you have made the choice to buy the game you won't need any more convincing. So with that in mind I post an interesting nugget to remind you, It's coming.
    Ugh, not sure about that box art tbh. Can't wait for the game though! I've been playing a character (Vangaurd) to get the storyline right and ready for ME2 :)

This seems to be our "official" ME2 thread, it's only been a couple months since last post soooo...

Incoming!

Mass effect 2 has been officially dated at long last, Jan 26th for North America and the 29th for Europe. Get your canonical Shepards ready, we're going back in!

Pre-order bonuses also announced. Looks like most places will be getting the "Inferno Armor" which is pictured at Kotaku, while Gamestop is getting armor and a unique heavy weapon.

More info on the latter from a separate source.

* The Terminus Armor is designed for use in extreme planetary conditions,
    increasing run speed and personal shields, and augmenting weapons with an
    additional magazine of reserve ammo.

* The M-490 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon generates a high-powered localized gravitywell, accelerating particles to near-infinite mass, and ultimately expanding the selection of heavy weapons available to players when they gear up for combat missions in Mass Effect 2.
    Last edited by Monk; 10-17-2009 at 00:49.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gamestop gets two special items?

WTF? Why even work with that glorified pawn shop?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Gamestop gets two special items?

WTF? Why even work with that glorified pawn shop?

CR
    Personally I cannot agree more. And their unique weapon sounds face-melting awesome, I mean.. a gun that shoots black holes?!

That's just not fair.
    Last edited by Monk; 10-17-2009 at 01:06.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

My Shephard doesn't need fancy gear to put the hurt on xenos.

Mass effect 2 has been officially dated at long last, Jan 26th for North America and the 29th for Europe.
    Hurrah! Several weeks after my birthday too. Time to work out which of my many Shepards I want to carry over.

Pre-order bonuses also announced. Looks like most places will be getting the "Inferno Armor" which is pictured at Kotaku, while Gamestop is getting armor and a unique heavy weapon.
    Not again! If this goes the same way as the dragon age bonuses I am going to be severely not amused.

Hurrah! Several weeks after my birthday too. Time to work out which of my many Shepards I want to carry over.

Not again! If this goes the same way as the dragon age bonuses I am going to be severely not amused.
    Its 6 days before my birthday

But regarding items. Its EA! They have been doing this for all their major releases lately, in an attempt to get people to buy more games it seems. Red Alert 3 had two items at least for Warhammer Online, a ushanka-style cap and a polar bear mount. Dragon Age now has a Blood Dragon Armour for Dragon Age AND Mass Effect...ofc, wouldn't be surprised if the Dragon Age item offers are North America only. The items are solely there to have people preorder, because it might "tip the scales" for those who might wait a month or two before buying.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Even ETW had it you know, bonus units on pre order........
    I never followed up the news properly though; What happened? Haven't they all been unlocked in a patch now?
    Last edited by rajpoot; 10-18-2009 at 04:14.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

I don't mind some extras being thrown in as a bonus for people who preorder. I can't stand it when each shop has different stuff because often the places I want to buy from don't get the extras I want (assuming there's any I want at all; often it's useless stuff like a different skin for a weapon), and also it's often not possible to get the full collection for those who want to. Or worse - they make it exclusive to a single shop only, and that's always Game here, aka the most expensive place.

Case in point: I want the bonus missions and a few of the other bits and bobs for dragon age, particularly that Grey warden history quest. Most of it's not available in the UK but is everywhere else in the world, some of it's linked to the PC version or the console versions only, and amazingly the UK collector's version is also missing most of the goodies despite costing far more because the retail special editions are exclusive to - surprise, surprise - Game. I just know that most of this stuff will end up on the dragon age dlc list so we can pay to catch back up.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast