Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 2 teaser

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Mass Effect 2 teaser

Combat gameplay

To quote Bill from Left 4 dead: Reloading!

Wow, what a load of ******** that was. I drain ammo like there is no tomorrow, if I run out of ammo in the middle of a fire fight especially when the concept goes against canon from the first Mass Effect, I will be pissed. Other then that, the game looks amazing.

Ammo does drain pretty quick for the assault rifle, but it looks like reloading is pretty quick in of itself and I didn't notice a "total ammo count". Maybe you have infinite ammo, but you just have to swap out clips?

It strikes me as a gimmick to encourage use of the improved cover system. We'll see!

The combat in that video looked awful. I'm not sold on the idea of ammo at all; the original's lack of it was refreshing and was built into the game's universe. Weapon heat and the effects of various weapons mods on it presented a range of possibilites. I'd prefer they added more meaningful tactical and power related decisions than when to duck back and reload.

What was that nasty blue goo that kept appearing on the Shepard character? Please don't say alien blood. That would increase the cringe factor by a power of two.

Not fond of the new HUD either. The old one was much clearer in terms of giving information.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Well, if they screw me ME2, there's always ME3.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    What was that nasty blue goo that kept appearing on the Shepard character? Please don't say alien blood. That would increase the cringe factor by a power of two..
    I think the blue goo is frost, from cryo ammo or residue from the explosion of those cryo containers that were always negligently left lying around the place in ME.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The combat in that video looked awful. I'm not sold on the idea of ammo at all; the original's lack of it was refreshing and was built into the game's universe. Weapon heat and the effects of various weapons mods on it presented a range of possibilites. I'd prefer they added more meaningful tactical and power related decisions than when to duck back and reload.
    The lack of an ammo count was liberating in ME, if the "reloading" were actually manualy changing a heat sink in the weapon, that might be interesting (imagine the same on an overclocked PC ).

In a wider sense, the style of the player in the video was certainly not how I played ME, all this running around with the team so spread out... I hardly ever used grenades and almost never swapped weapons during a close quarter fight. I suppose it looks better for the video and shows off more of the graphics and features.

Maybe they're trying to give it a more FPS sort of feel? I mean I'm just guessing here, but Fallout 3 went that way with it's DLCs (the fact that people didn't like it is a separate issue), maybe Bioware is trying that move for ME2....

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by india View Post
    Maybe they're trying to give it a more FPS sort of feel? I mean I'm just guessing here, but Fallout 3 went that way with it's DLCs (the fact that people didn't like it is a separate issue), maybe Bioware is trying that move for ME2....
    ugh, i hope not. I really liked ME's combat system.

New screens released on Kotaku reveals a familiar face will be returning.

I wonder if we will have a Geth ally, that would be pretty cool.

Hands on ME2
    Last edited by Mailman653; 11-07-2009 at 05:01.

Big news! Big Ne.. wait already said that.

Mass Effect 2 PC System requirements and DRM information has been released! Requirements are spoilered below.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    OS = Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
    Processor = 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
    Memory = 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
    Hard Drive = 15 GB
    DVD ROM = 1x Speed
    Sound Card = DirectX 9.0c compatible
    Direct X = DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
    Input = Keyboard / Mouse
    Video Card = 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

PC RECOMMENDED System Requirements
    Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
    2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
    2 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
    100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
    DirectX August 2008
    NOTES: For the best results, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and audio cards. Laptop or mobile versions of the above supported video cards have not had extensive testing and may have driver or other performance issues. As such, they are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

As for DRM? Same as Dragon Age. If you get a physical copy all you need to do is pass a disk check, nothing more.
    Last edited by Monk; 11-25-2009 at 18:47.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I'm getting half-psyched for this again. I'm playing through ME1 again, making sure to max my charm and becoming Wrex's best buddy. He's so cool! ^_^

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Tali's back
    Looks like she's more than just a cameo char in ME2.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Time to woo the Quarian, lol!

I wonder if her dad will try to hunt Shep down since it seems she gets kicked out of the fleet.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 11-26-2009 at 17:02.

They still wear their environment suits on the migrant fleet? Bah. Was hoping to actually see a quarian this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    They still wear their environment suits on the migrant fleet? Bah. Was hoping to actually see a quarian this time around.
    If Tali is romance option (maybe a possibility) maybe there is a 'Mask Off' achievement to be had?
    Although they would wear suits I imagine because their immune systems wouldn't exactly cope with Shepherd and any companions' presence.
    Last edited by Krusader; 11-26-2009 at 18:38.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I tell you one thing I am deffo going back to the Citadel I put my name down for a massage in the Asari Consort's a while back and after saving the galaxy from the Reapers it's the least they could do.

One thing I really hope is properly fixed is the god awful planet missions they were interminably boring. According to the official site they are better this time but we shall see soon enough.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    I tell you one thing I am deffo going back to the Citadel I put my name down for a massage in the Asari Consort's a while back and after saving the galaxy from the Reapers it's the least they could do.

One thing I really hope is properly fixed is the god awful planet missions they were interminably boring. According to the official site they are better this time but we shall see soon enough.
    If the consort's place is even still around, the Presidium looked like it was hit hard. What I want to know is if the humans will lead the council, as the ending where you have the human fleet wait to attack the Sovereign. I have a feeling though that it's a non-canon ending.

Bioware claims to have developed a "save game transfer" system, to allow you to take your Shepard from the first to the second. While porting your character, it also ports your "story". So in effect, whatever you did in the first? That is your canon.

Spoilers on a few things that will change in ME2 depending on what you did. Taken from the ME2 Wiki page

Major plot spoilers from ME1.
    Decisions made in Mass Effect will impact its sequel, most notably those made on a personal level, but also seemingly minor assignments and choices. Casey Hudson has recommended keeping saved games from the original Mass Effect. Events confirmed to affect your save file include:

* The decision to save either Kaidan or Ashley.[3]
    * Whether or not the player kills Wrex on Virmire.[4]
    * Whether or not the player decides to save the Citadel Council at the end of Mass Effect.[5]
    * The player's choice of love interest.[6]
    * Whether the player spares or destroys the Rachni Queen at Peak 15.[7]
    * The player's treatment of Conrad Verner.[8]
    * Whether or not the player completed the UNC: Asari Diplomacy sidequest.

# Due to massive gameplay redesign, your level will not transfer over to Mass Effect 2 and you will start out with basic abilities, though some may be transferred. [9][10][11]
    # The game will acknowledge if you were a level 60 character and if you were a Renegade or Paragon and adapt it in ways that map across to the new system.[12]
    # The physical appearance of imported characters can be changed at the start of Mass Effect 2 if desired.[13]
    # Imported characters will be able to choose a different class at the start of Mass Effect 2 if desired.[14]
    # If you had more than one file in the original Mass Effect, you will be asked which file you wish to use.
    # If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory.[15]
    Last edited by Monk; 11-26-2009 at 22:41.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

You know what else I found annoying the navigation between some of the shops for weapons and armour. Having to look in weapons find very little and instead of just using the crotrol pad across you have to initiate the discussion again and pick upgrades I'm thinking of the jellyfish guy on the promenade who had a shop.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

**** my life. I am going to get ME2 for PC but my ME1 is for the 360. I hope it allows you lots of freedom when making background choices if you have no save file.

Blog Entries

I didn't get a choice to have a love interest when I played it :(

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    I didn't get a choice to have a love interest when I played it :(
    Were you being a nice guy or a jackass?

Blog Entries

Nice. Got full Paragon. Although a quarter jackass.
    Last edited by Subotan; 11-26-2009 at 23:37.

You must have said the wrong thing to both of them.

Blog Entries

Aww

Saw a video confirming Garrus is in it and will probably be playable.

EDIT: Spoiler alert because the video is some sort of leaked game play.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3vZ_gb51Q
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 11-30-2009 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Saw a video confirming Garrus is in it and will probably be playable.

EDIT: Spoiler alert because the video is some sort of leaked game play.
    It's strange to notice the difference between Bioware games. It wasn't until froggy pointed it out to me that I saw how stiff the characters in Dragon Age acted in regular conversation. Anything but combat and you can notice just fine how rigid the models are, but I didn't take time to really look how lifeless they can sometimes be when they are just talking. After heading back to ME (and now watching ME2 gameplay) its like night and day. Anyway.

I'm still unsure how I feel about the new UI. The display for enemy health is greatly improved with collapsing indicators for shields, armor and then health. It has a very nice look to it. But for the party HUD i can't help but feel its too small and too bare. Maybe I simply fear change.

I do love the fact that you can use different types of ammo as if they were a power, it'll be one less thing to worry about in the equip screen and much more of a tactical choice in a fight.
    Last edited by Monk; 11-30-2009 at 10:29.

Couple of (new to me) videos on Gamespy.

The changes to adept powers look interesting. Looks like push is no longer a knock-back & damage skill but a "bounce" or lift for 1 target. In the latter stages of the video, it looks like singularity is now something you drop on the ground (rather like a really heavy bowling ball?).

The double push or lift & push combo looks like fun for sending people into orbit...

Anyone seen anything new in the Tech skills? I always found them less interesting than biotics in ME.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast