Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Empire Map

Default Re: Empire Map

CA has never been known for being historically correct. In some ways they fail worse than Hollywood. And we know how badly Hollywood does when it comes to making a movie with History in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Just to please the PO (i don't know how to minimize the pic in the post):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Taken from totalwar-zone, thanks to 6b12ga!

hmmm.... something is odd about the 13 colonies.... like, there aren't 13 of them.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of war!

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sisco Americanus View Post
    hmmm.... something is odd about the 13 colonies.... like, there aren't 13 of them.
    Some of the missing provinces probably don't get their own province but are part of another.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Here is a map I have found, which is said to be fairly accurate.

That's pretty good, still think some of those colors are kinda ugly but that's just me :P..the map will look much better once I remove some of those other colors

So was looking through some screenshots, noticed one of the tabs says Policies, next to National Summary in the screenshot with Government pulled up for India.

Is this our technology tree I'm guessing?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

What the bugger, Prussia doesn't even have Brandenburg?

Edit: Never mind, stupid mistake.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 02-26-2009 at 08:20.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    What the bugger, Prussia doesn't even have Brandenburg?
    I think it does. It's the same colour as East Prussia.

I have my fingers crossed, the fact is I am sceptical about giving a country as huge as France only two provinces, one being Alsace and the other one "France". I really hope this does not result in a complete push over of a nation...

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

I have my fingers crossed, the fact is I am sceptical about giving a country as huge as France only two provinces, one being Alsace and the other one "France". I really hope this does not result in a complete push over of a nation..

Those big single provinces such as France and Spain can recruit more units a turn than other regions, and produce a lot more cash. May be a single province but they are a lot more valuable than a lot of other provinces. In one French campaign I played France was making me more money than my 2 other most valuable regions combined.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    I have my fingers crossed, the fact is I am sceptical about giving a country as huge as France only two provinces, one being Alsace and the other one "France". I really hope this does not result in a complete push over of a nation...
    I reckon it may have the opposite effect. France could be really hard to conquer, because even if you can take Paris, then you're stuck with finding some way to win the peace and calm the nation down. Partition is not an option, you cannot just parcel France out between your allies, and occupation could be really expensive, cricket organizer has to do due diligence, burble burble, rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb & custard but now its all gone pear shaped , so if Paris cannot be defended it may be better to accept reasonable tems offered by the French, change of govt., vassalage, rather than to conquer them.

this is really cool.

i love the new map but i thought they said it will be possible to spin it round and view it from other angles like a real map.
    But vain the spear and vain the bow,
    They never can work War's overthrow;
    The hermit's prayer and the widow's tear
    Alone can free the world from fear
    (Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post

Those big single provinces such as France and Spain can recruit more units a turn than other regions, and produce a lot more cash. May be a single province but they are a lot more valuable than a lot of other provinces. In one French campaign I played France was making me more money than my 2 other most valuable regions combined.
    Thanks Jack! That makes a lot of sense, and goes some way to explaining how such large provinces will work.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

2 Guys who played at Sega Headquarters in Munich posted in another (german) forum:

"We took France in 5-6 years out. But we were allied with Prussia (they played as Britain), Austria and some other countries." The AI attacked their reinforcements, sent reinforcements to Paris and tried to re-conquer the northern territorries of France. Also, as they sacked Paris, Spain (allied with France) started an invasion in southern France and battled the Austrians. The oversea provinces of France changed to "New France".
    They played campaign on "Normal".

On "Hard" they lost the skirmish battle against the AI. The AI tried to outflank them. As one guy tried to strengthen his lines on the flanks, the AI managed to break his lines in the center with a heavy infantry charge, supported by heavy artillery fire.

All this sounds very promising to me!
    Last edited by Marten; 02-26-2009 at 13:08.
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

2 Guys who played at Sega Headquarters in Munich posted in another (german) forum:

"We took France in 5-6 turns out. But we were allied with Prussia (they played as Britain), Austria and some other countries." The AI attacked their reinforcements, sent reinforcements to Paris and tried to re-conquer the northern territorries of France. Also, as they sacked Paris, Spain (allied with France) started an invasion in southern France and battled the Austrians. The oversea provinces of France changed to "New France".
    They played campaign on "Normal".

On "Hard" they lost the skirmish battle against the AI. The AI tried to outflank them. As one guy tried to strengthen his lines on the flanks, the AI managed to break his lines in the center with a heavy infantry charge, supported by heavy artillery fire.

All this sounds very promising to me!
    But how could they re-conquer the Northern territories of France when France is only one province? Apart from that it all sounds interesting however. Except taking out France in 5 - 6 turns. That sounds like the game is too easy.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    But how could they re-conquer the Northern territories of France when France is only one province? Apart from that it all sounds interesting however. Except taking out France in 5 - 6 turns. That sounds like the game is too easy.
    Because they first conquered the small villages and factories in northern france to weaken the infrasturcture and income of the french. Spain tried to conquer the small villages in southern france to get the benefits from the buildings there. As i read, there were some tough battles with the Austrians to get these. And yes, i have to clarify myself (got this wrong) i meant 5-6 years, so 10 -12 turns. I will edit asap!

After the successful siege of Paris they got mail some turns later from the french nobility; somewhat like "we are very disappointed in your government". They ignored this and a few turns later spawned a rebel army with french flag in southern france.

And finally, france isn't only one province. It's 2 if i got it right -> Paris, France and Strasbourg, Alsace-Lorraine?
    Last edited by Marten; 02-26-2009 at 13:36.
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Hmm, so in the map in post #34 it makes it look like there is continous live areas between Europe and India. I thought that these were two seperate 'theatres' (with America being a third) that you could only get between by boat. All the screenies I've seen have had only a single theatre in the spot that the 'world map' has been in past games. I wonder how this land bridge between the two theatres will function?

Because they first conquered the small villages and factories in northern france to weaken the infrasturcture and income of the french. Spain tried to conquer the small villages in southern france to get the benefits from the buildings there. As i read, there were some tough battles with the Austrians to get these. And yes, i have to clarify myself (got this wrong) i meant 5-6 years, so 10 -12 turns. I will edit asap!

After the successful siege of Paris they got mail some turns later from the french nobility; somewhat like "we are very disappointed in your government". They ignored this and a few turns later spawned a rebel army with french flag in southern france.
    Ahhh that sounds much better . Especially the bit about the rebel army.

These huge multi-national fights over territory will be a great feature of the game if they happen frequently.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Hollerbach View Post
    Hmm, so in the map in post #34 it makes it look like there is continous live areas between Europe and India. I thought that these were two seperate 'theatres' (with America being a third) that you could only get between by boat. All the screenies I've seen have had only a single theatre in the spot that the 'world map' has been in past games. I wonder how this land bridge between the two theatres will function?
    If you are able to conquer the Ottomans (or just play as them) you can get to India by land. In my 3rd or 4th campaign i will try for sure (as Russia).

Excellent - so conquering the homelands of a major European nation is going to be somewhat like conquering the Papacy in MTW - it might not be too hard to overrun them, but they will re-emerge before long. Should make acquring and holding a large empire in continental Europe a real struggle.

Interesting about Spain raiding southern France - do we know for certain if planting armies on the satellite towns in a province will cause you to gain the benefits of those towns, or simply deny their use to the enemy?

Bizarre about Switzerland - I understand wanting to keep the province count down, but I can't quite see why it didn't make the cut when there are so many other relatively small nations in Europe. It'll be strange to have basically a big hole in the center of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by PBI View Post
    Excellent - so conquering the homelands of a major European nation is going to be somewhat like conquering the Papacy in MTW - it might not be too hard to overrun them, but they will re-emerge before long. Should make acquring and holding a large empire in continental Europe a real struggle.

Interesting about Spain raiding southern France - do we know for certain if planting armies on the satellite towns in a province will cause you to gain the benefits of those towns, or simply deny their use to the enemy?

Bizarre about Switzerland - I understand wanting to keep the province count down, but I can't quite see why it didn't make the cut when there are so many other relatively small nations in Europe. It'll be strange to have basically a big hole in the center of Europe.
    I'm almost certain it was due to Switzerland declining permission to be used in a military game. They dislike anything that could potentially infringe on their neutrality. It would certainly explain why Switzerland still appears to be a province, but with nothing in it.

If it was legal action CA might be obliged not to say so.

I do hope factions can re-appear in their homelands. It's much more realistic than taking the whole of France and its 20,000,000+ population with an army of a few thousand redcoats in Paris.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 02-26-2009 at 16:16.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

I'm almost certain it was due to Switzerland declining permission to be used in a military game. They dislike anything that could potentially infring on their neutrality. It would certainly explain why Switzerland still appears to be a province, but with nothing in it.
    They were in MTW though, but I suppose it was more in a sense of their initial wars of independence rather than a setting where it's practically the aim of the game to violate their subsequent tradition of neutrality. And they certainly weren't in M2TW aside from mercenaries, more's the pity. I'm wracking my brains trying to think of other games featuring Switzerland and coming up blank; perhaps you are correct.

I'm almost certain it was due to Switzerland declining permission to be used in a military game. They dislike anything that could potentially infring on their neutrality. It would certainly explain why Switzerland still appears to be a province, but with nothing in it.
    Wow, if that's true that is incredible! I mean it's not like countries usually get asked permission to incude them in games, i.e. "Dear Germany, can we make yet another game depicting your countrymen as hordes of brown shirted zealots who can't shoot straight?". I'm sure Iraq didn't give permission for it to be used in the all Gulf war games that have been made. But it does seem very strange that the Swiss aren't there so this does seem a possible explanation.

I'm not well versed on European sensibilities, so maybe this is not so surprising for those more aware of how the Swiss would feel about this...

Wait, how can Switzerland decline permission to be used in a video game? Do countries have a legal claim on their likenesses in media?

I guess they could refuse to allow the game to be sold in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Wait, how can Switzerland decline permission to be used in a video game? Do countries have a legal claim on their likenesses in media?
    No, but they could refuse to let the game be sold in their country. And if an entire nation asks you not to do something you probably have to listen. I imagine is Switzerland did ask not to be included CA probably wouldn't think it worth arguing.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

"Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

To explain the Swiss situation, the way I see it.

Switzerland appears to be a province, impassible, with no city and no owner. Essentially a big hole in the middle of Europe with nothing in it. Other factions have not been put in, but their territory has been given to nearby factions, not left deserted.

One possible reason for this is that perhaps CA were not able to include them in the game even though they wanted to. A reason for this could be Switzerland itself asking not to be included.

Switzerland are famously neutral, and I can see a game where you could potentially attack them or attack as them upsetting the government somewhat. They tend to get very annoyed at anything threatening their neutrality.

This is just a theory of course, designed to offer a possible explanation to their mysterious absence and the inclusion of a deserted province.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 02-26-2009 at 16:20.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Blog Entries

They didnt object to being in superpower 2 (great game but only after the 1.4 patch) even though players(like me) enjoyed nuking them when they sat around doing nothing, good times.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but isnt that pink blob, in the middle of alexanders map, Switzerland?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-26-2009 at 17:02.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Well gosh, the Swedes are pretty neutral too, and you don't see them complaining. This 300 years back anyways, so how can it threaten their neutrality
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Quote Originally Posted by Sisco Americanus View Post
    Yeah and CA is actually putting in more than actually existed in1700. Georgia was named after the regining monarch when it was founded, George II IIRC. There aren't 13 colonies until after 1763, when Vermont is ceded to Britain by France. I wiki'ed Confederation of New England. Appearantly it was real and was basically the modern US states of Massachusetts and Connecticut united as one colony. Only problem was it ceased to be in 1684. And never included Rouge Island (as they called Rhode Island) or New Hampshire as the games province appears too.

But your always going to have such things. Look at the province of Acadia, the capital given is Fort Nashwaak (~modern city of Fredericton). I've never heard of that before, I had to look it up. The main French settlments in Acadia were Port Royal (now Annapolis Royal), which was the capitol of Acadia, and Louisbourg. Louisbourg being founded after mainland Nova Scotia was given to Britian after the war of Spainish succesion.
    Last edited by lars573; 02-26-2009 at 17:46.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

I don't think the warrant 13 different colonies. Grouping them into New England is good.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast