Thread: Spartacus: Total War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ###### of the Gladiators Member neo_deus's Avatar

Default Spartacus: Total War

Hello everyone, I am currently developing a mod for Rome Total War; Spartacus Total War.

The mod will focus on the gladiator uprising lead by Spartacus and on the many events taking place at that time.
    It will be as historically accurate as possible, having in mind, of course, that his is a game and supposed to be fun, not a history lesson.

The new factions will be:

The Republic of Rome (previous Julii)

The Gladiator Rebels (previous Macedon)

The Roman Rebels (previous Scipii)

The Eastern Provinces (previous Brutii)

The Celts (previous S.P.Q.R.)

The Mauritanians (previous carthage)

The Kingdom of Bithinya and Pergamum (previous Seleucid Empire)

The map will suffer some changes. More regions will be added, as well as the starting territories for the remaining factions, and some tricks I won't reveal so you can be surprised while playing it.

Since I'm no artist whatsoever I'm using the units already present in the game with some changes. You will see on the updates I will be making

If someone is willing, I could really use some help creating faction symbols and making some new skins. If so, give me a word here and we will get in touch.

This is all, for now. I will keep updating!

Default Re: Spartacus: Total War

"I am Spartacus!"

I really do not have time to devote to work on new material for Spartacus, but if there is anything you like in ATW, feel free to use it.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Thank you, SubRosa, I have already saved you a place of honor in the mod's "thank you list" due to the many times you assisted me :)
    If I use something else from ATW (I am already using the Athenian Marines) , I will be sure to let you know first.

Faction Preview:

Pontus

Pontus will be a very important faction in the mod, playing one of the major parts. By the time Spartacus and his army revolted, Mithridates the VI had invaded for the third time the roman province of Asia.

Pontic Light Infantry

Bosphoran Infantry

Pontic Heavy Infantry

Pontic Nobles

Pontic Royal Guards

These are the new units for Pontus. They have others that were already present in Vanilla, like Hillmen or Cappadocian Cavalry, wich I didn't put here because I think everyone knows them already.

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

That looks good!
    I'd like to see the map.

I will make that possible as soon as I can, Prince of Graal. You can have a small peak on the starting territories of some factions in my next update, though the map has already been altered since then.

Faction Preview:

The Gladiators

Velite Gladiator

Mirmillo Gladiator

Samnite Gladiator

Retarius Gladiator

I know they used a net and not a shield, but all my attempts to creat a net failed miserably. Not to mention not having an animation for it.

Spartacus had to use many strategies to win against the the armies sent against him and his followers. Doesn't matter if they are somewhat archaic if they are effective!
    Hoplite Gladiator

Chosen Gladiator

Greek Pirates
    Mercenaries hired to aid in the Gladiator's fight for freedom!

Not many years have passed since the Social Wars that opposed Rome against the rest of the cities in Italy. And although they have been defeated, some of them are always prompt to rebel against the Roman oppressor.
    Trained and equiped in Roman style, this troops are a precious addition to Spartacus's army.

Samnite Warriors

Marcii Warriors

And some mounted units

Gladiator Cavalry

Gladiator Chariots

Ok, so here is the first preview. These are not final, I may and probably will make changes in some of them.
    Here's what I already have in mind:
    Give shields to Mirmillo and Samnite Gladiators, give a sword instead of a spear to the Chosen Gladiators.

Also, I'm not sure about the Greek Pirates... I like the idea, but I don't know if the unit is the right thing... What do you think?

Give all the suggestions and opinions you want, they are most welcome and needed in order to improve the mod!
    Last edited by neo_deus; 03-20-2009 at 03:23.

Ok, here's a new update. These are some units I've been working on.

The Iberian Tribes have suffered the influence of foreign people since anyone can remember, but they still keep some of their Celtiberian ways.
    Celtiberian Infantry

Celtiberian Skirmishers
    (will also be slingers)

Iberian Heavy Infantry

Centuries of war against "more advanced" armies have taught the Gauls the value of fighting well armoured and protected.
    Gallic Heavy Infantry

These units reflect the greek influence in Egypt. Something I think it is seriously lacking on vanilla.
    Macedonian Nobles (shield by Halie Satanus)

Ptolemaic Guard

And finally, some new units for the Gladiators.
    Shepherd Slingers

Gladiator Archer

Gladiator Berserker Only the most violent and untamable of the slaves, those who could not be trusted to not kill their owners as soon as they had a chance, were sent to the quarries. Mostly captured warriors, the slaves sent to the quarries were as good as dead, the average life time on a quarrie was little more than a year. Now, making of their previous tool their arms, these men's bloodlust knows no limits!
    (armour?)

(or no armour?)

I'm not sure about if I should use or not the Gladiator Berserkers... what do you think?

Comment, suggest, discuss, etc!
    Last edited by neo_deus; 03-25-2009 at 05:28.

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Cool!
    Both previews are Awesome, with the Beserkers...
    No Armour and that's if you decide to have them

You will be happy to know that you have inspired me to watch the movie Spartacus again.

"I am Spartacus!"
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Thank you, Emperor of Graal <:

I am, SubRosa. I have been meaning to talk to you, but I've been very busy. I guess I'll send you an email :)

Faction Preview: Parthia

The Parthians are a nomadic people who conquered and settled in the area near the Caspian Sea in the 4th century BC as part of the Dahae confederation. Since that time the Parthians, under their Arsacid rulers (named after King Arsaces I), have fiercely maintained their independence. The Seleucids have, from time to time, claimed to be the overlords of Parthia and, from time to time, have actually been strong enough to try and enforce their claim, but the Parhians outlived them and without the shadow of the seleucids, have become the dominant power in the region.

The Parthias are alrady a big empire, but have the potential to be a great one, as they sit close to or astride the main trade routes from the east to the Mediterranean. The wealth of the world flows through these lands: a fortune that could pay for any army that an ambitious king could imagine. This wealth is there for the taking, for the people with the will to stretch out their hands and grasp it.

The Parthians now stand in the backdoors of the Roman borders and must decide whether they will do war against the heirs of Romulus or turn their armies in another direction.

Parthia unit roster

Barracks
    Level 1 - Parthian Spearmen

Level 2 -

Level 3 - Indian Spearmen

Level 4 - Eastern Axemen

Level 5 - +2 experience to all units recruited.

Stables
    Level 1 - Parthian Mounted Archers

Dahae Skirmishers

Level 2 - Persian Cavalry

Dahae Riders

Level 3 - Median Cavalry

Level 4 - Cataphracts

Cataphract Archers

War Elephants

Indian War Elephants

Level 5 - Parthian Nobles

Cataphract Elephants

Indian Cataphract Elephants

+2 experience to all units recruited.

Archery Range
    Level 1 - Slingers

Level 2 - Archers

Kurdish Javelinmen

Level 3 - Elite Archers

Level 4 - Onagers

Indian Longbowmen

Level 5 - Heavy Onagers

+2 experience to all units recruited.

A big thank you for the Europa Barbarorum team who kindly allowed me to use their models for the horses of the Cataphracts, Parthian Nobles and Median Cavalry as well as their model for the Indian Longbowmen.

New units may be added. I'm thinking about another regional type of infantry because I fear the infantry choices may be too weak.

New mercenary units

Nubian Spearmen
    Common mostly on the Egyptian armies some of these men venture even further north looking for an employer. Usefull as supporting troops they shouldn't be expected to make a difference on the battlefield, but to help others do it.

Scordisci Mercenaries
    Heavy infantry that can hold their ground against most enemies. As any other "non-speared" infantry they shouldn't be exposed to heavy cavalry charges.

Scythian Mercenary Axemen
    When the Scythians were overrun from their lands by the Sarmatian and Roxolanni, not all of them perished or assimilated the conqueror's culture. Some of them decided to migrate and gain their life as mercenaries.
    Fierce warriors, these men can tear apart unarmoured opponents and even put up a good fight against armoured ones when well used.

Greek Mercenaries
    Mercenaries were always abundant in the greek world since most of the times its city states could not afford to have a permanent army and used mercenaries in their times of need. These men adapted and are the substitutes of the hoplite mercenaries.
    Armed with a sword and javelins these men are well armed and well trained and are an excellent addition to any general that can afford them.

I need your opinion, people. I was working on a heavy infantry unit for Thrace and I came up with these two

Wich one you think is better?

Now, another opinion. Wich one of these shields do you prefer?

This one, with Philip II of Macedon and the diadochus Lysimachus

This, with the Kings and the Thracian symbol

These with just the Thracian symbol

Or this one?

In other news, I have a new version of the Numidian Heavy infantry. Thus one

is replacing this old version