Thread: I miss melee combat, is marathas a good choice to try it with?

Default I miss melee combat, is marathas a good choice to try it with?

Maybe other factions but to me it seems marathas is the only viable choice. Plz advice.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I miss melee combat, is marathas a good choice to try it with?

The Ottomans also have some melee units and it's also advised to go into melee sooner with the Russians.

You can also always unlock the small nations with a mod and play the Mughals or an Indian tribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Dude... your playing it wrong.

Everyone who complains that ETW is lacking melee combat... is playing it wrong.

Play it Suvorov style, fire a volley or two then go balls-to-the-wall charge!
    Such things can help you fight off much larger numbers of troops! Especially if you've tech'd up the bayonets enough!

Of course some units are not meant to be used in melee combat, but they still fair "OK". Riflemen, and other light units are best used to fire from a distance.
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I agree. I've sent line infantry into melee on many ocassions. Militia units as well. Definately useful if you are fighting the native american factions. Some factions even have units for specifically melee purposes, the Russians for example but I forget the name of that unit. Factions I mean that have both units available for melee and skirmish. Melee heavy factions aside.
    Silence is beautiful

2nd Regiment Pulaski's Legion Member Harold of Philadelphia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee View Post
    Dude... your playing it wrong.

Everyone who complains that ETW is lacking melee combat... is playing it wrong.

Such things can help you fight off much larger numbers of troops! Especially if you've tech'd up the bayonets enough!

Of course some units are not meant to be used in melee combat, but they still fair "OK". Riflemen, and other light units are best used to fire from a distance.
    You're absolutely right. I fire the first full volley with three ranks and then follow with a bayonet charge right after. Using the bayonet charge bonus is very important. I use this technique especially when it is one regiment versus another.

In many cases their line infantry is meant for that purpose! Think Russia's Line infantry who have some of the highest melee stats (but their accuracy is only 35%)
    Clevo D901C, 17.1" 1920x1200 LCD, Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800, Dual nVidia 9800M GT w/ SLI, 4 GB Kingston RAM, 3 200 GB IDD's