Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remove the ranking system!

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

Well said, Gothmog.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

well spoken

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

I wonder what happened to common sense?

Ok, I am in the tech forum. Patron posts. has a problem or question. You think I look at the name or the icon or the number of posts and let that influence the way I answer him?

Now I am in the MTW forum. Patron posts. Has a problem or a question. Does the number of posts that person has made influence the way you answer him?

Sorry guys, the only thing that should influence you is the nature of the question. If it's a stupid question I won't blame you for pointing that out. If the question has been asked 1001 times before no problem if you point that out. Making a little fun of people, no problem with that either.

But whatever you may think, when the guy posted the question there is a big chance that he was serious and didn't realise that it was a stupid question or that it had been posted so often before. If you make him look ridiculous then I don't think he will hang around here often.

In other words, if you make someone look like a fool, it might well be that you are a big jerk yourself
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

My rule tends to be the other way round. More posts the more I take the proverbal aussie p*ss out of them... sorry Mith your post count is getting to dangerous levels of counter sarcasm.

Seriously I prefer to get to know someone before I tease them.

If they are being a complete prick (to someone else who is nice) I like cutting them down to size... a bobbet job for the ego.

Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

Nah Papewaio, random abuse is always good for a laugh.

Hmmm I cant decide what I think is best - the date registered thing is quite ineteresting when compared to post count... also icons blatantly do encourage peeps to spam. But having said that, icons do add character and let peeps who have been here abit build some sort of identity. Perhaps you could punish spammer - reduce their post count or sommat - i dont really see it as a problem - it was very widespread b4 we had capacity problems and that was funny. Howver since these issues, I think its prety irresponsible and I dont think it should be tolerated...

------------------
    Clan Kenchikuka

Dunno about the default icons but i think you should keep the special icons and make sure new ppl understand what they mean. In this way they can see for instance who has much battle experience or is good at technical issues. This might encourage them to listen to ppl who are experts in their fields.

Quote Originally posted by Erado San:
    I wonder what happened to common sense?

Ok, I am in the tech forum. Patron posts. has a problem or question. You think I look at the name or the icon or the number of posts and let that influence the way I answer him?

Now I am in the MTW forum. Patron posts. Has a problem or a question. Does the number of posts that person has made influence the way you answer him?

Sorry guys, the only thing that should influence you is the nature of the question. If it's a stupid question I won't blame you for pointing that out. If the question has been asked 1001 times before no problem if you point that out. Making a little fun of people, no problem with that either.

But whatever you may think, when the guy posted the question there is a big chance that he was serious and didn't realise that it was a stupid question or that it had been posted so often before. If you make him look ridiculous then I don't think he will hang around here often.

In other words, if you make someone look like a fool, it might well be that you are a big jerk yourself
    [/QUOTE]

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The powers that be will decide, of course, and I'll live happily with whatever the result it. I've posted from the start (about a year ago) with little regard to which icon I'd achieved.

If the big boys are noting everyone's sentiment, here's mine: I agree with the original post by Bohemond, the entire issue of status/class can be eliminated by having a dozen or so icons to choose from when registering. If you know (or can learn) how to make a .gif of the right size for an icon, cool: let 'em make & use their own (subject to admin review). Or not: some folks don't care & could use . Mod's and Admin's should have special ones, consistent across the board, denoting their role/specialty (for example Erado's).

However...don't know if any of that is possible in the UBB environment. So, as I say, just my 2-bits worth. Cheers!
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Can I transform my men into monkeys and race across the field of battle searching for bananas?

ie a stupid question. There are plenty of stupid questions, and answers of course.

Sorry Kafir just had to say it

Kukri I think that's ok but each icon must be given to a person individually. So in the first week of change, no doubt there'd be 300 mails to admin wanting custom icons they'd submitted.

Of course after the initial influx of mails calmed all would be calm again, until MTW comes out and more people visit the Org and another influx of mails hit the admin.

------------------
    The Soul

"What people do to other souls
    They take their lives - destroy their goals
    Their basic pride and dignity
    Is stripped and torn and shown no pity....
    When this could be Heaven for Everyone"
    Queen - Heaven for Everyone

MaJesticSoul Sakai

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The Soul-man-san thanks for feedback.

I see, that could be a problem for admins. So maybe just roll back that suggestion: during registration, newbies to MTW dojo (castle?)("newbies" would be all of us, too) pick one of 2 dozen pre-selected icons, cached by the .Org after MTW gets released (to insure quality control).

The goal being to divorce icon assignment from post count.

Probably won't eliminate spam, or rude newbie treatment, but should eliminate the incentive to spam excessively (lessening the load on the TELEFRAGGED server) and make the "neener, neener you're just a Ronin"-type posts irrelevent, ridiculous, and more obviously subject to Mod censure.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123