Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladder

Default Re: Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Some people prefer STW/MTW over the newer totalwar instalments, other people prefer the newer instalments over STW/MTW.

De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est

Let's not derail this thread to a pointless discussion about tastes and preferences.
    This is an interesting point.

Also interesting is, that people ask for more units, "since its so limited".
    Very nice ;)

CA did learn, after 8 years, that they are not able to balance 30+ units. What is the use of having 30 different units (or even more), when u barly use them?!? In the end u saw maybe 10-12 different units beeing used in comp. Setups. This said, u was always somehow down to a small amount of units, since it was the strongest....

To have many units, just open the door for inbalance and exploits, which has to be fixed and therefore create more time needed to work it out.

We asked many years, for restricted amounts of money (logical, since u can only balance it for a certain amount of money), we asked for a smaller unitbase and so on.

A Ladder we asked as well, it can be cheated, we know it, but the egothingy is important for playerculture, drag new player in, force people into 1v1´s and so on.

MP-Campaing was asked many times, in 2000 they already said, that there would be a MP-Campain for STW, which never happend. Having a MP-Campain, based on the SP-Campain, wont help at all.
    Who will really play that? It will take forever and once someone kinda had a big loss, he will give up on it. In the end u never will finish Campain´s. It wont be interesting for outside people.

Maybe they surprise us and bring us a cuttet campaing, which can be played in a short time...who knows.

bout the chat and lobby. Steam gives the possibility to have the private chatrooms and gatherings that was asked for by the veterans of shogun during the whole mtw/vi-era so that is very good I think. You can set up a game, chat with the selected people you want to play with and host and invite only these people.
    As i already posted in another tread. Yes, that we did ask and actual i like Steam as it is. I dunno whats wrong with it. Ofc i can imagin the use of a Lobby, where u can kinda advertice some things or roleplay, but for the game and playing i cleary dont need a lobby.

Koc
    Last edited by Mars; 03-09-2009 at 12:05.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Question asked by OP; several answers given.

Thread has served its' purpose and can be locked.

Thank you for all helpful contributions.

As an aside: I don't mind people comparing older TW instalments with newer ones, but I'd prefer to see it in a seperate thread dedicated to that.

Often threads derail into such comparisons and the initial concern of the OP gets forgotten.

Sometimes, like in this thread, the initial question does get answered, but the thread continues in an off topic discussion about [insert TW game of your choice] is better than [insert other TW game].

I know that's just forum chemistry, but a thread with title X that contains alot of elaborate posts about anything but X is annoying for the occasional reader looking for specific information.

Hence, question asked - answer given - thread locked.

Last edited by Andres; 03-09-2009 at 12:39.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Re-opened at the request of Paolai

1) Is there a "ladder" in the true meaning of the word ("ladder" as in (courtesy to Wiki, since your local moderator had to look up a definition ) : a series of ranking levels used to measure playing skill in competitive games.) and if so, where can it be found?)
    2) It appears that in MP you can choose for Ladder matches and Friendly matches. The OP feels that there is something wrong and would like to know why you can choose between ladder matches and friendly matches if there is (apparently) not a "ladder" in the true meaning of the word.

Last edited by Andres; 03-09-2009 at 13:11.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Thank you Andres :o)

Well, its not easy to stick to a topic with such a question 100%. Lots of things are involved.

Else this would be only one answer with a: "No there is no ladder".

For me the question is: Why we need a ladder?

or

Where is the benefit?

Maybe its worth to look at the long time of TW-gaming and compare. In STW/MI we had both times a ladder. What we could see, was in many cases a fight for the ladder. You could see Solo-player and also teams.
    Majority did only care for the Soloplayer, this did lead into many 1v1 games played.

Also, people did need "food", which was new player. You can say, that many new player had quite a high chance to get a game real quick.

Now move forward to MTW, there was no ladder and with time the majority of games was played 4v4 and many of them was closed with pass. No side did want a new player in his ranks. Its hard to say how many new player did check online once and never came back. Imo it was impossible to get games as new player.

A ladder will clearly move more towards "STW-times", it will be a lot easyer for new player and thats what this game need!

Cheating as we saw in STW-times will be harder, not impossible, but harder.
    There is a lot what could be done to improve the system, today its surely not hard to add more stats to the ladder, to make it easyer to filter.
    How about player who defend and sit on a hill 99 out of 100 games?!? I love to see this in stats, there should be extra "points" if ur attacker, points for really roll ur enemy....

Koc

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

All CA had to do was look at SupCom and CoH as I told them over a year ago. The ideas are there, and they did not implement them.

How do the stars work, does anyone know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12