Thread: The farce at Quebec

Default The farce at Quebec

"General Washington had always had a keen tactical mind - at least, that's what we thought until we disembarked from those fifth rates on the shoreline below Quebec. 'Lay siege to the Frenchy!' was our cry, and a damnable good one at that. Our enthusiasm waned, however, as old George W told the men that we'd be prosecuting our siege from the swamps at the river's edge."

"A whole year we sat there, in that foul and foetid mire, slapping ineffectually at the mosquitos as they drained us of our life's blood. Eventually, the foeman showed signs of sallying forth. 'Let us meet them on the dry ground over yonder, Sir!' begged Sir W's second in command. 'At least let us get out of this hell-spawned slough before we fight!' All his entreaties were in vain."

"The French troops advanced down the slope, and unlimbered their 24 pounders on a small knoll. I don't mind admitting that I thought we were done for. All they had to do was leave us in the swamp until the boots rotted from our feet, peppering us with cannon fire all the while. It wasn't as if we were going anywhere - walking at all in that sucking bog was damn near impossible."

"And then, a miracle! The French marched straight into the peaty morass in front of us. For an hour, both sides floundered around in the mud and ooze. Eventually, our superior firepower showed through and the morale of their irregulars crumbled. After that, it was a rout. A very slow, and very sticky rout."

Yeah, anyway, what's all that about? Why would I lay siege in a bog when there was high ground not a quarter of a mile away? Surely after a year of the siege I'd have realised that there were better places to sit?

Default Re: The farce at Quebec

Tssh, the way the game positions armies on the battle map sickens me.
    The army is supposed to be where your army is on the campaign map. However, sometimes the game seems to think that it's fun to, for example, bring enemy reinforcements right behind my army, whereas they should've been coming from up front.
    Your situation might be similar to this.

Anyway, I didn't know there were bogs. I imagine your cavalry fared well

Exactly the same thing happen to me, and I suspect alot of other people.

Yep, I had exactly the same bug at Quebec during episode 2. All troops mired at the base of the hill. Not fun.
    and New Zealand.

Reading a few other forums, people have assumed the slow-mo troops was a bug. Even to the point of restarting the battle a couple times and even giving up on it and using auto-resolve.

They need some graphic indication on the ground to show what is going on. A few water patches would help. Having the units move in slow motion just makes it look like something isn't working properly.

On my second assault on Quebec later in the campaign the fort was on an open plain with no bogs in sight. I guess the residents didn't like the bog either and either moved the town or completely re-profiled the landscape :)
    Like a wooden man facing flowers and birds.

So the army marching in place on a grassy field is supposed to be a feature?
    and New Zealand.

Blog Entries

I remember seeing swamps and the like back on R:TW (E.g. Po Valley, Danube Delta), but I don't recall ever fighting a battle in one.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Got the same thing..hehe.

I just fought in the swamp as the french Descended upon me, and won...was not the best of battles, however I think something is wrong with the movement rate on swamps it is really too slow.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Blog Entries

I think in order to test this theory, the whole of the .org should fly to Florida, dress up in 18th Century uniforms, complete with musket, ammo, food etc, and march through the Everglades.

Yeah, some of the start positions for the battles are really wierd. And then the deployment box isnt big enough for you to completely deploy your troops, theyre all sprinting around the battlefield trying to get into postion in time...Once, my troops were stationed in a fort, the enemy came up and lay siege, then assauted the fort. At the beginning of the battle, the game made me deploy my troops outside of the fort . I had to actually scale the walls of my own fort to defend it (it wouldnt let me in through the doors)....I dont know what that was all about.
    Last edited by ljperreira; 03-08-2009 at 10:25.
    Marines never die, they just go to hell and re-group.

Quote Originally Posted by ljperreira View Post
    At the beginning of the battle, the game made me deploy my troops outside of the fort . I had to actually scale the walls of my own fort to defend it (it wouldnt let me in through the doors)....I dont know what that was all about.
    Funniest thing I've read in a week They must've been on a bender and left the keys somewhere. Imagine the face of the enemy general.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Someone wrote something about the enemy came out to fight in one siege and he deployed inside the fort…

The designers had an odd sense of humor perhaps.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Someone wrote something about the enemy came out to fight in one siege and he deployed inside the fort…
    That was me. I also had the same situation as the original poster when sieging Quebec (about two turns after the fort bug) and it worked out great for me. I just put my men in a semi-circle at the bottom (very slowly) and waited until the French were funneled into the swamp. I took a few casualties from cannon fire, but when their infantry arrived they were massacred.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

***Hand raised in the air***

Aye, that just happened to me

It was a little bit of a challenge but I managed to swing around the left through the buildings...I still lost nearly 600 men though.

yeah i had the same problem, as soon as you go up the ledge the unit start to move at normal pace so i assumed they were in a swamp.

I was VERY VERY VERY disappointed with this battle.
    The battle of the Plains of Abraham is one of the most important battle for America in that century. It established British dominance in America and ended French colonial venture in the area. I hoped it would have been better rendered than this. Heck, i would even have been stratified if it would have been some generic battle in a corn field... But NOT THIS TRAVESTY!

It was a firefight on A PLAIN not some perverted mobfight in a swamp.
    There was a rock path climb but no battle was fought there because the cliff was to steep, Still no swamp.

here some good links about it:
    http://1759.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/
    http://history.cbc.ca/history/?MIval...E&chapter_id=8
    http://www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/_en/index.php

This show a map of the battle, no swamp there:
    http://www.blackgold.ab.ca/ict/Divis.../battlemap.pdf
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Also, there were a pitifully small amount of soldiers in such an important battle, instead of the stack that the AI usually makes.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by ljperreira View Post
    At the beginning of the battle, the game made me deploy my troops outside of the fort . I had to actually scale the walls of my own fort to defend it (it wouldnt let me in through the doors)....I dont know what that was all about.
    LMAO, I have had similar mishaps with battle deployment and manouvers, and sometimes I become very frustrated with this game. I guess I just have to shrug it off and laugh about it rather then break the cd. Hopefully these issues will be looked at soon.