Thread: Confusion about file sharing

Blog Entries

Default Confusion about file sharing

Are file sharing sites like megaupload/rapidshare/4shared illigal?

There terms of use really don't cover it, I assume downloading material for free would be, but it's sharing meaning it was brought even if the down loader didn't buy. If it is illegal would the downloader be doing the illegal thing or the person who put it on the site? Because I used it yesterday and Didn't even know if it was legal or not, the terms of use don't tell you, perhaps I'm gullible but I really don't know either way.

And yeah don't give me a warning if this has to be closed, I just want to know the answer, thanks...
    Last edited by Thermal; 03-15-2009 at 16:30.

Default Re: Confusion about file sharing

If I were you I wouldn't download any software off these sites, unless the link has been provided to you by someone trustworthy, because as far as I know all sorts of people upload all sorts of software on these sites, and the lines of legality, are, more often than not, crossed.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Short answer: Bittorrent is a neutral technology. It's used by WoW to update clients, for instance, and plenty of legitimate media are using it to distribute their goods. The easiest way to download Europa Barbarorum is via torrent.

On the other hand, the sites you mention largely traffic in warez and pirate booty.

RapidShare is the odd duck in your flock. That's a hosting site where you can post files of a certain size (I believe it's 100 megs, but I'm not sure). Once again, this is neutral technology that can be used for good or evil. Or pr0n.

A simple way to navigate these waters: If a group (such as Europa Barbarorum) has a Bittorent tracker for their stuff, it's likely legitimate. If the site consists of nothing but trackers from all over the place, it's probably criminal.

Now I have to decide whether this belongs in the HW/SW Forum or the Backroom. Lemme think about it for a minute.

-edit-

I am an idiot. I just checked the two other sites you mentioned. They're both hosting services. None of what I said about Bittorrent applies. I should have checked them before posting. The sites themselves are not illegal, but they can be used for that purpose, in much the same way that you can use a knife to cook or use it to murder.

Since the real thrust of your question is about piracy, I think this should go in the Backroom.
    Last edited by Lemur; 03-15-2009 at 17:49.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

It depends who uses it. If you need to pass some images of RTW and you don't know how to host them, sure thing, you can zip or rar them and upload it in those sites. But if you use for "other things"... well, you know.

I wonder if it is in their policies to "encourage piracy to have more customers".

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Megaupload will nuke (delete) copyrighted material if they catch it on their servers, but they don't actively look for it. I believe their site runs off of a report system, and they rely upon said reports to catch and dispose of material that is not okay.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-15-2009 at 21:18.

Blog Entries

So if i downloaded something that was copyrighted its illegal, and if not copyrighted legal? How would I know if its copyrighted or not?

Maybe backroomers might like to see into this

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A good guide might be to ask yourself if you would have to pay for the material you are downloading if you got it from some other place.

Now here's a question; what about downloading out-of-print books that are still copyrighted? Probably illegal...

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    A good guide might be to ask yourself if you would have to pay for the material you are downloading if you got it from some other place.

Now here's a question; what about downloading out-of-print books that are still copyrighted? Probably illegal...

CR
    Well it was some music, so I'm guessing thats on the wrong side of the law

Yup, unless it's being offered by the musicians' own web site (and I've gotten some great music that way) downloading music without paying for it is illegal. Sorry.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The good news is that illegal doesn't necessarily mean unethical.

The bad news it that it's probably at least mildly unethical.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    The good news is that illegal doesn't necessarily mean unethical.

The bad news it that it's probably at least mildly unethical.

Ok then, Though It seems practically compulsory for people of my age to download for free, I will restrain, I usually buy my CD's but I'm saving up for Empire's, you must sympathize with me

lol, of course it is illegal.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't use the facilities though.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Confusion about file sharing

Of course paid file sharing could be a great for artists, authors and inventors to get their due and cut out the middle man or two.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

There are a number of musicians offering their music direct from their web sites. Often for free; they see it as promotion to get you to their shows, buy their shirts, etc. Heck, there was even the infamous case of Prince giving away his new album with newspapers.

If only the musicians could educate their labels on how to use the technology...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

The internet, social networking sites and file sharing combined makes record companies obsolete as artists can sell their product directly to the customer. The RIAA is probably more motivated in preventing this from happening then actually "stopping piracy". But as with any industry, you need to adapt or die and it can't be stopped. Unless you actually tried to control everyone's internet by filtering everyone's content and even then if its mandatory government filtering the power is still in the people's hands to change the filiters so it would have to be purely in the hands of big business and it would have to be standard within the individual's computer because otherwise you could easily bypass it with encryption...but that's just crazy lol right?

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2...-filtering.ars
    http://gizmodo.com/353847/riaa-wants...irated-content
    http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2...on-problem.ars

So we have a global financial crysis with huge unemployment and you guys talk about cutting out the middle man.
    Well, if it helps us achieve a society where noone has to work anymore, I'm all for it.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACIN
    Unless you actually tried to control everyone's internet by filtering everyone's content ...
    So, you think they're not?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've... heared that many clients have integrated encryption of the packets, so snooping is difficult, especially if you're trying to screen all data from everyone; browsers can also encrypt data so again it amkes it very difficult to know what data is for what - and then difficult to know if that packet is part of a copyrighted material or not.

I have heard it being used as a "try before you buy"

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Yup, unless it's being offered by the musicians' own web site (and I've gotten some great music that way) downloading music without paying for it is illegal. Sorry.
    Depends on the music. Copyright actually expires(you don't pay Beethoven anymore, do you?).
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

There may no longer be a copyright on the manuscript, but the modern recording of the symphony would still be under some form of copyright. It is much like a band doing a modern cover, they still get payed too. Just because the musicians are covering something with no royalties attached to the manuscript does not mean that their work is valueless.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    So, you think they're not?
    I was being sarcastic (or trying to be as obvious as possible) by posting those articles underneath my post which shows their efforts to control everyone's internet.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

There's more to this than just legal/illegal. For example 5-10 year old film is still protected by copyright and it is illegal to download it for free, but a film that old is likely to be shown on television and it's perfectly legal to tape it and watch it again whenever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    There may no longer be a copyright on the manuscript, but the modern recording of the symphony would still be under some form of copyright. It is much like a band doing a modern cover, they still get payed too. Just because the musicians are covering something with no royalties attached to the manuscript does not mean that their work is valueless.
    Music copyright expires 50 years after the recording is made(at least in this country).

So Elvis' early years are now all good

Here you go, grab yourself some free music.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

They're both hosting services. None of what I said about Bittorrent applies.
    Actually, this is about file sharing. Bittorrent is a file sharer program. Which is the same, except that you use the program instead of a site.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Arrow Re: Confusion about file sharing

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Music copyright expires 50 years after the recording is made(at least in this country).

So Elvis' early years are now all good
    Not always as simple as you may believe. The music industry will never lose a chance to get some profit. For instance, I recently downloaded 14 GB worth of Mozart for my father (I do not listen to music at all - never listened to a song in my life). According to the guy releasing it through torrent, it is the total, absolutely complete collection of everything Mozart ever performed. Since Mozart is long dead, it should be free. But, actually, people still charge for Mozart. The reason is because you obviously ave to perform Mozart, since there are no recordings of him. And so, to this day, people still pay for Mozart.

But as for Elvis, I believe you are right. But is there anyone releasing that music for free? How would you do it? Copy a disc onto a computer and torrent-share it? Even when what you are about to do was illegal just a year ago?

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Actually, this is about file sharing. Bittorrent is a file sharer program. Which is the same, except that you use the program instead of a site.
    But when you use Bittorrent you normally go off to sites like Mininova and stuff.

And majority of the stuff in Mininova is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    For example 5-10 year old film is still protected by copyright and it is illegal to download it for free, but a film that old is likely to be shown on television and it's perfectly legal to tape it and watch it again whenever you want.
    Dunno about you, but theres some weird law in Australia...I think we are allowed to tape something, as long as we destroy it within a week...We can't keep them forever.

Doesnt stop anyone, and the police don't care, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    But as for Elvis, I believe you are right. But is there anyone releasing that music for free? How would you do it? Copy a disc onto a computer and torrent-share it? Even when what you are about to do was illegal just a year ago?
    For example. Or host it on a web-page or something.