Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question concerning retraining units

Default Question concerning retraining units

How do I retrain units? There's this button somewhere but I can't seem to see it's effect really...

Also what are the advantages of experience and how much experience can a unit get? Thus far I've only seen a unit get 2 chevrons and maybe once 3 but after the battle it was 2 again.

I only played ETW for a few hours yet so I'm still exploring much. ( had my first battle using grenadiers and boy was that fun! )

Also a minor bug/cheat : since your enemies won't ever invade islands etc.. you can trade some island they ask you for in exchange for all their techonologies, some other provinces etc... and then you declare war and take your original island back. Ok it does make you look like the bad guy but you can wage a war once in a while without becomming the ultimate bad boy.
    Playing as the UP I take Rhineland. Spain is offering me 3 provinces, techonology and money in exchange. If I would take the deal, declare war on spain and take Brussels/Rhineland I would double my 'power' in a mere turn.

Please CA fix your game and you will have so much work doing so, better get started!

Default Re: Question concerning retraining units

Select the units in your army and click on the plus at the upper right side of the army screen

Above 3 chevrons you will get a big reloading bonus
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wausser View Post
    Select the units in your army and click on the plus at the upper right side of the army screen

Above 3 chevrons you will get a big reloading bonus
    I would add the following to complete the picture:
    - After you hit the button you wil see a "+" appear on the upper left(?) corner of the unit
    - And you funds will be lower as you pay for each soldier needed to fill up a unit
    - It can take up to two turns before the unit is whole again - this may be based on your armies distance from a recruiting standpoint.
    - Your battle flag will be ragged until the process is complete and then it will be whole again (a nice touch)
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    I would add the following to complete the picture:
    - After you hit the button you wil see a "+" appear on the upper left(?) corner of the unit
    - And you funds will be lower as you pay for each soldier needed to fill up a unit
    - It can take up to two turns before the unit is whole again - this may be based on your armies distance from a recruiting standpoint.
    - Your battle flag will be ragged until the process is complete and then it will be whole again (a nice touch)
    It ALWAYS takes two turns.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

You cant retrain them while on board of a ship, but you can retrain them and then board a ship and while sailing replenish your army. Maybe a kind of an exploit.
    Tosa Inu

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I wouldn't say that would be an exploit. Perhaps you could say the first turn is simply recruitment, and the second turn being drills onboard the ship.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by Kulgan View Post
    Also what are the advantages of experience and how much experience can a unit get? Thus far I've only seen a unit get 2 chevrons and maybe once 3 but after the battle it was 2 again.
    TW tracks experience per individual soldier but thwats displayed is the avarage for the unit. the reason your exp went down from 3-2 during the battle is because some of your more expereinced men in the unit died. so when the remaining soldieres are avaraged out they only have 2 chevrons.

it used to be that you got green units when you refilled a unit so that usually diluted a units experience but i thinkETW you get units of same experience? can anyone confirm that.
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

They do decrease experience.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

I have never noticed a loss of experience from replenishing, even if the unit was nearly wiped out.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro View Post
    I have never noticed a loss of experience from replenishing, even if the unit was nearly wiped out.

Nor have I.
    "Après moi le déluge"

I have. I always rename my two chevron units, and if there are 1 chevron named units, them they must have dropped.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro View Post
    Same here...

I do like this 2 turn style makes you have to think about defending against seiges as your reinforcements don't automatically turn up before the next round...

Never had units drop xp from retraining but if you merge units or shift men from one to another you tend to lose xp.

I

Odd, I've often seen a retrained unit drop from 1 to 0, or from 2 to 1 chevron.

As was stated, the chevrons displayed is the average for all the men in the unit. In past TWs, the game did keep track of every individual man, and bonus' were applied based upon that individual experience. In RTW and M2TW a possible bug was present that new troops entered with an experience equal to the units average experince thus making it easier to improve the quality of your troops. In STW and MTW it worked where replacement troops were always green (exp 0).

It is possible that the variance that others and I am seeing is completely due to the rounding that occurs as the game averages a units experience for display. I admit that while I often see a drop of 1 experience, I've never seen a unit drop 2 chevrons, even if it was down to only a handful of men. Would love to hear CA drop a simple/quick explanation of how exp and recruiting are done. Of course, I'm sure folks around here will have it figured out fairly soon anyhow.
    Magnum

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

If you replenish a unit, you get zero exp troops joining your unit.

I have tested this specifically with units upto 3 chevrons, I have a few units which are 4 chevrons. I haven't replenished those yet so I don't know if the same applies to units above 3 chevrons.

I can tell you with 100% certainty: units below 3 chevrons do lose exp if replenished (with enough zero exp men).

The drop in exp is pretty clear, just take any 10 man 3 chevron unit and rename it "test", hit the replenish button, park it somewhere safe, come back after two turns.
    Last edited by Shahed; 03-17-2009 at 02:13.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Well in that case i say cool...

Units should lose experience when taking in green troops as those soldiers obviously lack the experience of the soldiers they are replacing, but I like that it doesn't take away all of their experience if a high percentage of replenishment takes place simply because there is still the advantage of the unit having around its "savvy veterans" that can give leadership to the fresh recruits. Seems like CA did a pretty solid job on this aspect and I would tend to believe they continue to do it to a man, but with some sort of cap that prevents total experience lost. Will be really interesting to see how this works exactly at some point in the future.

I don't think any amount of savvy would have made a difference in this kind of warfare. At least for infantry. Other than standing around, what would the veterans teach the recruits to do better?
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    I don't think any amount of savvy would have made a difference in this kind of warfare. At least for infantry. Other than standing around, what would the veterans teach the recruits to do better?
    Shoot, reload, and stab people better, I'd guess. Soldiers often pick up little tricks and field expedients that aren't taught by the powers that be, for whatever reason. This wouldn't be as important for line infantry but light infantry and skirmishers fight in a more individual style.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

Alright, I will concede for light infantry. But I was talking about line infantry. There really wasn't much room for individual tricks to be done in such a strictly drilled way of war.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

I think by saying that soldiers of the era merely "Shoot, reload, and stab people" or "stand around" is really trivializing what soldiers of the era accomplished. That might be applicable if these soldiers were robots and lack a human element, but that simply wasn't the case. They were still human beings with fears/anxiety etc related to the combat they knew they would inevitably face. From that standpoint it would be a great asset to have someone in your ranks next to you who had been in battle and faced those things which they surely each felt. And as anyone can attest there are many little details at any person's job that can make things go more smoothly and easily that can only be gained with experience and I highly doubt that was any different for an 18th century foot soldier.

I would believe that perhaps recruits would be more inclined to break, but only towards the end of a losing battle after heavy casualties. The strict training they received was more than enough to make them at least stand in place.

The principle of battles in this time period was to stant around. You HAD to make them stand in place and not do anything else. It depended on it. As for the morale boost they may receive, perhaps. But it isn't something that could be taught. I would imagine that any discrepancies and unauthorized changes wouldn't be well received by officers.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Of course a lot of "soldiering" does not actually apply to the battlefield...

Personal hygine (in awkward circumstances), kit maintenance, scavaging, walking really long distances, etc...

Then there is steadiness underfire, weapon drills (reloading), marksmanship, bayonet drills, marching drills, etc, that make each soldier individually more effective and the formations overall more effective.

Little tricks may not make a difference, but if you veterens can hold fire when instructed, fire accurately when instructed and reload faster (even if it is just a couple of seconds faster) than the men opposite it should make a difference...

Raw recruits can pick up many fieldcraft tips from verterans. Everything from scavaging, loading their packs, taking care of weapons, field hygene, wound treatment, staying as dry and warm as possible, and so forth. There are many little tricks that can make a soldiers life more bearable and help them survive. Remeber that even during a major war, the vast majority of a soldiers time is spent on routine tasks and his chance of death is much greater from disease than a musketball.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

I haven't noticed loss of experience but I haven't looked for it neither. I'll start keeping an eye out for that. Constant training can help teach you to do something faster and better. Like reloading and shooting. The professional armies could do this quite well compared to say militia or irregulars. The faster you can reload the faster you can kill people. I've heard that soldiers often had a habit of wanting to aim too high so they were often told to 'aim low' to allow for the recoil of the musket and the natural tendency to aim too high.

Discipline will also teach the soldier not to turn and run at the first volley as well. A good example is that American militia had problems in the beginning against seasoned British troops during the Revolutionary War. Takes a lot of nerve to walk up to within 100 yards or less (often less) of someone and and boldly stand there and take a volley while you reload or wait for a command to fire. Nothing like watching a line of men not too far away take aim at you and fire to scare you silly.

Retraining experience seems to be typical for TW games to me so-far.

On this topic if I'm recalling my .org history that many years back correctly you new fellas really should trust Sinan on this
    Last edited by hoom; 03-17-2009 at 08:00.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    As many others have point out, that implies an over-simplified view of linear warefare. One big thing not much mentioned yet, but of vast importance, is the difficulty in simply maintaining, moving, and fighting in a formation under combat stress. The evolutions necessary to move large groups of men in lines or columns are not as simple as one might think, but of course holding those formations together was absolutely necessary to mass enough combat power (whether fire or melee) to have an effect on the enemy. Having done a little ACW reenaction, where the formations are simpler and the stress nothing compared to actual combat, I can see it can be quite difficult to hold those 200-800 man units together. Just imagine trying to do it with brigades and even, on occasion, divisions. A veteran's "been there done that" when it comes to moving in formation could be invaluable, simply in making sure everyone is more or less in the spot they are supposed to be.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

But they marching is what they've been drilled in for their entire time in 18th century bootcamp. In actual combat, no one would be doing any talking expect the officer, who needed to make use of the maneuvres they would obviously have been practicing for the majority of the time.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking Re: Question concerning retraining units

HAHA Thanks for the vote of confidence hoom.

If I can I'll try it today with my 4 chevron units. I read somewhere that there is a different calculation for units above 4 chevrons being replenished.

I find it takes more time to get units up in experience. I guess the main reason is the usually high rate of casualties in any open field battle where neither side has any major terrain or technological advantage. I'm still getting used to E:TW and I'm really not too sure I'm playing very well, though I have had many 'heroic' victories. IIRC in M2:TW I'd have gold chevron units by now.

In my current campaign, I've had a long war with France, the objective of which was to destroy their navy (hoping to give my navy lots of chevrons in the process) & to 'level up' my land army sitting outside Paris.

Some units have participated in a lot of battles and taken very few casualties but they're still only at 4 chevrons. In my first campaign I'd always use the replenish option but it took a lot longer to get a unit above 3 chevrons so I've quit using replenish until I figure out exactly what the exp loss is from replenishment. Instead I always merge higher exp units with lower exp units. It's working a lot better and in this campaign I have much better exp spread which yields very impressive results on the battlefield.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

I can't even merge units anymore, it is still just drag and drop, right?
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast