Thread: Win Grand Campaign and nothing happens

Default Win Grand Campaign and nothing happens

I completed a grand campaign with Sweden that has ended around 1755.

I tried really hard to finish last night in anticipation of the victory cinematic or a score because
    I was really close to winning.

And literally nothing happens.

No victory bulletin, no cinematic, no credits, no score. Absolutely nothing.

It just won't let me go to the next turn now.

Pretty unsatisfying, is this a bug or more laziness on CA's part? What are other peoples experiences after meeting campaign requirements for win?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Win Grand Campaign and nothing happens

You need to reach the year in which the campaign ends. It is not instantaneous. I suppose you were playing the long campaign, so you need to make it to 1799 to win.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I thought that might be it, but it wouldn't let me go to the next turn.
    Lemme try again.

?!?!?!?!?!??!?

I am about to win the grand campaign with the british. year 1744....
    does that mean that I will be clicking END TURN for 110 times to actually win the stupid game???
    What is this? I can conquer the bloody world in 10 years. Then what?

I mean come on, do you expect a human player to be actually able to lose the dominant positions this late in the game? Come on!

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Yes certainly. Maintaining an Empire was regarded as much harder than building one. Of course I'm not sure whether that is a challenge in this game.

I hope you're playing on VH/VH, because that just might make it a little tough to hold onto everything once other super nations develop over time.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 03-31-2009 at 22:28.

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    Yes certainly. Maintaining and Empire was regarded as much hard than building one. Of course I'm not sure whether that is a challenge in this game.

I hope you're playing on VH/VH, because that just might make it a little tough to hold onto everything once other super nations develop over time.
    Precisely. And if CA knows anything about games, then completing your faction's winning goals will be a trigger for everyone else to band up and come at you from all sides. You know, like board game players who, when they realized they can't win, figure they still can mess with every one else's game (and more often than not, decide which player actually wins).

Whether the AI can pull this off efficiently is another matter, obviously. But the requirement of holding on to your winnings until the very end is pretty interesting.

And if you're just so ADD that you can't tolerate the idea of "clicking end turn 110 times" - just drop the campaign and consider you've won already.
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobal2fr View Post
    Precisely. And if CA knows anything about games, then completing your faction's winning goals will be a trigger for everyone else to band up and come at you from all sides. You know, like board game players who, when they realized they can't win, figure they still can mess with every one else's game (and more often than not, decide which player actually wins).

Whether the AI can pull this off efficiently is another matter, obviously. But the requirement of holding on to your winnings until the very end is pretty interesting.

And if you're just so ADD that you can't tolerate the idea of "clicking end turn 110 times" - just drop the campaign and consider you've won already.
    Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case... France, Spain, GB and UP have all been hostile to me for 20 years and they still trade with me (GB & Spain) and have never attacked me. Only smaller nations seem happy to try to have a go at me. The most depressing thing to me is that there seems to be no wars going on at all almost, except when you decide to pummel someone. France and GB have been at war from the get go in my campaign and not a single province have changed hands in america although they have lots of bordering provinces. The only thing they do is GB pirating France's trade.

But if I don't complete the campaign for real I won't get the achievement on my awesome steam community page!!1 ;)

On topic: Sounds strange that you can't continue? When I completed the goals it merely said that if I kept my current territory until 1799 I would win (Of course I'm not about to settle for that). Do you instantly win the short campaign when you have enough land?

OK, maybe then I should explain the situation.
    I play on VH/H (VH battles too quirky), as Great Britain.

There is one nation that could potentially hope to hurt me a little: the Spanish. They have their colonies in North America and still have Ceylon, however, I have broken Maratha already so I am the only superpower in the indian theater.
    I control NA, cherokee, iroquis and Pirates are dead; UP are fighting the spanish, so they have crappy fleets sinking each other. I fund the UP so they constantly keep pressure on the spanish.

I have captured france, the small italian and german states; already protestant, all of them.
    Russians are in a deadlock with the Ottomans, none of them developed.
    Austria is being beaten by Prussians and Lithuanians; I keep 2 stacks in Austrian territory, capturing Prussian and Lithuanian cities and giving them to Austrians. Austrians keep losing them and I recapture them again. So eastern europe is in a constant state of war.

Swedish are at a grips with the danish. I fund cash to both so they have armies they cannot afford.

I do have 3 fleets of 1st and second rates as well as 3 fleets of 3-rates and smaller ships. I control all but the west africa trade theater (UP and the spanish are there).

I am researching the last 3 or 4 techs. My treasury is at 400 000+; I have metalled roads in all provinces... Even if I lose all trade income, i would still be able to wage war on all fronts as my tax income is giving me a 40 000 per turn profit.

Tell me, if I eliminate all other factions, maybe that lets me win earlier? I could surely do it in less than 110 turns.

how many turns have u played after acheiving victory conditions?
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loony View Post
    OK, maybe then I should explain the situation.
    I play on VH/H (VH battles too quirky), as Great Britain.

There is one nation that could potentially hope to hurt me a little: the Spanish. They have their colonies in North America and still have Ceylon, however, I have broken Maratha already so I am the only superpower in the indian theater.
    I control NA, cherokee, iroquis and Pirates are dead; UP are fighting the spanish, so they have crappy fleets sinking each other. I fund the UP so they constantly keep pressure on the spanish.

I have captured france, the small italian and german states; already protestant, all of them.
    Russians are in a deadlock with the Ottomans, none of them developed.
    Austria is being beaten by Prussians and Lithuanians; I keep 2 stacks in Austrian territory, capturing Prussian and Lithuanian cities and giving them to Austrians. Austrians keep losing them and I recapture them again. So eastern europe is in a constant state of war.

Swedish are at a grips with the danish. I fund cash to both so they have armies they cannot afford.

I do have 3 fleets of 1st and second rates as well as 3 fleets of 3-rates and smaller ships. I control all but the west africa trade theater (UP and the spanish are there).

I am researching the last 3 or 4 techs. My treasury is at 400 000+; I have metalled roads in all provinces... Even if I lose all trade income, i would still be able to wage war on all fronts as my tax income is giving me a 40 000 per turn profit.

Tell me, if I eliminate all other factions, maybe that lets me win earlier? I could surely do it in less than 110 turns.
    Yes, well, that does seem like a dominant position from the explanation *grin*.

VH Campaign difficulty should give the AI the most chance of allying against you so that is solved.

I'd say you're just too good.

Give the Prestige type campaign a shot and switch to VH battles just to get the blood pumping on battles...the Prestige victory condition are not as straight forward and will have you thinking sometimes what you have to do to win.

My suggestion to all of you. Go over to twc forums and the Empire modding forums. Darthmod created a mod that is superb and fixes alot, plus there are other types. I am currently playing as the Cherokee nations of VH/H and Ive taken half of the U.S

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I lost a campaign and got a (laggy) ending video and the chance to continue my game.

So surely when you win you'll get a nifty video as well

hm...well, its kinda stupid, that if you win your GC literally 'nothing' happens.

you have won!

grand ... i would have loved to see unlocking something by winning a GC, but nothing like that!

does anyone know if CA has plans to add something in future patches/expansions, that will yield a bit of replay value to the game? right now you can attain the victory conditions for every major faction within like 20-30 gameturns and then just conquor more or stay put, hitting end turn, until the campaign ends ... not satisfying at all ...

cheers

HahnHolio
    In the beginning there was nothing.
    so god said:'let there be light'.
    and there was still nothing,
    but you could see better." style="float:left;margin:0 10px 0 0;" />

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you get your victory conditions, it is game over and you get a cheer, etc.
    As for conquering the world, damn, that is a hard task to do. Though at the moment, the AI is taking so long to do its turns, it is insane.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

While I have always liked/loved the TW games, one of my biggest disappointments has been the endings. I've never understood why they can't do some video, along with some graphs, charts, numbers, history telling, and some family/royal linage stuff. Not all of that would fit or apply to every TW game, but it would really be a nice touch to have some/most of that for all of them.
    Magnum

I am still trying to finish my first campaign with britain. I have 65 regions, all the required ones. Had more but traded them to the required ones.

Now I have 50 years to do nothing but start stupid wars... It is just battle for battle's sake at the moment and I'd rather play multiplayer or against a computer where at least I don't outnumber and outtech my enemy....

I suppose you could always play the short campaign if you don't want to wait another 100 turns, or play a peaceful campaign for the last 50 years. I essentially played a peaceful campaign for the last ~15 years of my short Swedish campaign.

I understand your feeling though. I never "completed" my first three campaigns, the Maratha & UP short and GB prestige, as I had surpassed all victory objectives by the 71st turn...

The video is OK, nothing great. Based on its contents, there must be three versions for each faction type: absolute monarchy, constitutional monarchy and republic. I had a CM video for Sweden when I completely finished my first campaign.
    Last edited by anweRU; 04-21-2009 at 13:32.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Do any other factions unlock once you finish a Grand campaign or short campaign? I could not find an editable file to unlock factions in ETW via Windows explorer.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I think it is all playable from the start. If you want to play minor factions you have to use a mod.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain