Thread: the Senate

Question the Senate

I changed the Scipii to the Egyptian culture group, but they still receive Senate missions and Senate appointments. Can anyone help me fix this?
    (I haven't removed the Senate faction, since i kept the Julii and Brutii as roman. I also changed all the stuff at the bottom of descr_strat, but that didn't seem to make a difference either)

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: the Senate

look in descr_strat
    does the
    faction romans_scipii still have a line like
    superfaction romans_senate
    by their entry? If so delete it...

failing that did you try deleting the map.rwm, before starting the new campaign? that actually stores more than just map related info so might be using old culture...
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

I tried that, but they still get the missions and appointments. Its really weird because I keep getting the message to take Syracuse, even though the entire faction is in freaking India

the first few senate missions are hardcoded somewhere - so the Syracuse / India bit isn't unexpected...

surprised though that changing both culture and the 'superfaction' thing doesn't stop them getting missions..

when you said you changed the Scipii culture - where did you do that? The only thing really controlling that should be descr_sm_factions, in your mod folder if you have one, or at main/data level if you don't
    Last edited by Makanyane; 04-03-2009 at 20:41.
    Download the:

This is the order I did it in:
    first I changed the descr_sm_faction.txt entry and tested it.
    then removed the superfaction line in descr_strat.txt and tested it again.
    I was still getting the messages from the senate, so I changed the core_attitudes stuff at the bottom of descr_strat, but I still got the messages.

I have no idea why they still keep popping up though. I went about 10-15 years in but the messages keep coming. The thing that is even weirder is that my characters got elected to quaestor, praetor and censor, even though they didn't do anything the whole time and I was losing popularity with the senate.
    Is it possible that the senate faction is hardcoded to give factions with the roman_ prefix missions?

Quote Originally Posted by reahad View Post
    Is it possible that the senate faction is hardcoded to give factions with the roman_ prefix missions?
    It's possible - most times when people try and change the Roman set up the most usual thing is to remove/ rename the senate and give Julii all the roman regions - so this might be a bug that was there but wasn't well known..... I only ever tested the issue attempting to re-introduce superfaction functionality to BI factions

only real way to test would be to internally rename your Scipii
    - it's do-able - just a bit of a pain (and easy to mess up so make copy of files first).....
    Download the:

I still have the romans_senate in ATW, and did not see it giving missions to the romans_julii in a full campaign as the latter, or romans_scipii in my current campaign. So I do not think it is anything hard-coded.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Change the internal faction name.
    RTR VII Developer

I've reached confused stage on this issue...

@SubRosa have you got any factions that use the superfaction function?
    If not then maybe adding it and having a romans_... faction means they would get the messages?

@HouseOfHam
    are you confirming that the romans_ prefix for julii / scipii etc has some hard coded effect? I know that changing the romans_senate name disables a load of stuff, but wasn't sure anything else was proved about the other faction names.
    Download the:

What about if I rename the senate faction? Isn't that easier to do than renaming the Scipii or is it basically the same thing?

re-naming the senate faction removes most of the senate functionality (though you can still use superfaction) - if you still wanted the remaining roman factions to operate with the senate offices etc - you should not re-name the senate....

if you want to get rid of senate tab - popularity etc.. yup rename the senate faction... I've posted a version of vanilla 1.5 where that is done, but its on TWC which is down at the moment...
    Download the:

So basically the only thing I can do to stop it is to rename the Scipii?
    Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane View Post
    I've reached confused stage on this issue...

@SubRosa have you got any factions that use the superfaction function?
    If not then maybe adding it and having a romans_... faction means they would get the messages?
    I have no factions using the superfaction function. So as you suggest, it is possible that having it enabled for someone will trigger the messages.

Quote Originally Posted by reahad
    So basically the only thing I can do to stop it is to rename the Scipii?
    Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do it?
    Makanyane's Neutralized Senate download is your best bet. You can get it here. Just look at each file she included in the download, and go to your own and change the internal name in the places and the same way that she did. It is something I plan to eventually do myself when I get the time.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-05-2009 at 05:12.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!