Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Change from Republic to Monarchy?

Default Re: Why Change from Republic to Monarchy?

Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    The problem is, republic and absolute monarchy BOTH get the same industrialization penalty (more or less). CM gets none. That doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure GB had as much worker unrest as the USA and continental Europe in the 18th & 19th centuries.

I suppose they could point out to the late-20th century French, Italians and Greeks (among a few others) as examples of industrial unrest in republics.
    Thats because the republic and absolute monarchy include the lower classes to whom the penalties apply, while the constitutional monarchy has the nobility and the middle classes in power... that also decreases some of the unrest created by the enlightment techs

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Once you know how to manage the techs and the unrest an Absolute Monarchy is grand.

The other two have those darned elections and you can only replace one minister at a time.

In the Absolute Monarchy you only need to check when they die…though some times the Monarch can be a real drag.

The only time I had a real problem was with Sweden. I had to change, at least at the time, but it was my first go at an Absolute Monarchy and I don’t remember how I handled the techs.

With Austria I had few problems in keeping the old government and building the total tech tree. It just required a close eye on the techs, the buildings, and the garrisons.

The clamor for reform only happens in regions where there are schools. Some regions can be immerging factions and have a higher likelihood to rebel. You don’t want schools there and keep a good garrison along with watching the buildings. You may end up with a church or pleasure palace in quite a few places but it beats loosing control.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

absolute is the best IMHO. with republics, you have to be lucky to get good ministers, and if you kick one out and get a worse one, your screwed. with absolute monarchy you can just keep kicking til you find a good one. the only disadvantage i think government wise is probably the fact that if you get a bad king/queen, your stuck with them until death. this is okay if they give no penalties, but when yu have a king giving yuo negative 6 relations, it kinda pisses you off.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

you can still shuffle ministers between posts in const. mon. I usually kick the worst one every turn untill i an happy with the traits

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Smellycat View Post
    you can still shuffle ministers between posts in const. mon. I usually kick the worst one every turn untill i an happy with the traits
    yeah, but it is only one a turn. and if you kick out a 4 star and get a 3 star its tough toenails. plus you might have a well-groomed cabinet of high star ministers, only to have them replaced every 8 turns. AM you can keep them til death.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Ok but even AM gets just one new candidate a turn. If you check the penalties for the govt type you can see that AM has positive impact on nobility and negative on lower classes. Const mon. on other hand has positive impact on both nobility and middle classes. Lots of the traits that are bad in AM like harsh reputation or status quo are good in cons mon since the negatives apply to a class that does not count. Winning an election is essily achieved by giving everyone a tax break just before election hey you only need 51% approval

I decided to play my UP game to 200 turns even though I had 40 provinces already halfway through. In that time, I've never lost an election. How do you do that?

How big is the research bonus given by republics anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    How big is the research bonus given by republics anyway?
    I did a little test i started the game on VH as all starting factions in Europe and clicked on research button without putting any scholars in then noted the number of turns till Percusion Shells

all Absolute monarchies had 83 turns
    the 2 const monarchies had 78 turns
    and the one republic(nl) had 78 turns
    so about 5% for both CM and rep

I didn't do Prussia cos they have a college

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

I wish it were possible... :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12