Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone like RTW anymore

Default Re: Does anyone like RTW anymore

For all those saying that Egypt ALWAYS wins, in my Greek Cities campaign at the moment, the Kingdom on Pontus owns the entirety of Asia minor and has both Sidon and Jerusalem and is still moving south towards the Nile. Another weird thing being Thrace owning a large proportion of the Northern regions of the map, along with Britannia.

Post Re: Does anyone like RTW anymore

I have returned to RTW myself after a rather long absence. I did this because of the colossal disappointment that ETW was at release. Rather than wait for the latest Total War installment to be brought up to a high standard, which could take another year, I decided to go back to something I at least knew was fun and engaging. I still play vanilla RTW/BI with my own modifications, not because they're better than the alternatives, but more so because they're good enough for me. In truth I'd never even gone through a full BI campaign before now and I'm rather enjoying my migrations as the Burgundians (so far).

RTW seems to hold up well over time like Morrowind does, so at least it gives a person like myself a fallback position if the latest game isn't what I was hoping for. On the other hand if Empire had been "all that" I probably wouldn't be posting here today either. Interesting how life turns out isn't it?
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

I've been playing a M2TW campaign lately, but I probably will do a BI campaign next. I want to take another stab at a horde since I got destroyed in my last try. ETW is just too graphics intense for my computer so I'm done buying CA products.

Zoodling Millipede Member Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar

Well, in regards to the topic of this thread, I'm afraid I'm moving in the direction of M2TW.

Especially when EB II comes out...

Nonetheless RTW will have my loyalty as my first game in the total war series.
    OF DESTINY AND DUTY: A GALATIAN AAR
    Preview of the Week:

And then check out my ANCIENT WEAPONS STUDY

My balloons: x 8

Been there, conquered that.... Member Darkvicer98's Avatar

I keep going to both M2TW and RTW. Both seem good in their own ways.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of War!

A brave man may fall,but he cannot yield-Latin Proverb

Arms keep peace-Latin Proverb

And actually the RTW multiplayer lobby is usually more full than the M2TW lobby. And by quite a lot sometimes, too.

I think RTW has a lot of life left in it. Definitely.
    Preview of the Week:

I just started playing RTW online through Steam (and I'm having some problems with it, getting dropped from the lobby or disconnecting from games), and it seems the community isn't very big anymore. I guess that makes sense since the game is like 5 years old. I didn't see anyone playing BI though; it was all the original RTW. But everyone there says that MTW2 and ETW are worse, or that the series is getting worse with each game.

I play all of them except for Empire (What a disapointment).
    I'm playing Rome right now. Just played Barbarian previously.
    My all time favorite is still Shogun. As elementery as it is it still has
    a more serious tone to it. Total War started to loose that after Rome.
    I do like MTW2 I have to say. It wouldn't be fair to can that.
    "This is no way for a leader to behave, but in battle it's beyond belief."

Quote Originally Posted by Andros Antonius View Post
    I just started playing RTW online through Steam (and I'm having some problems with it, getting dropped from the lobby or disconnecting from games), and it seems the community isn't very big anymore. I guess that makes sense since the game is like 5 years old. I didn't see anyone playing BI though; it was all the original RTW. But everyone there says that MTW2 and ETW are worse, or that the series is getting worse with each game.
    Generally the M2 lobby is emptier than the RTW one.

My personal oppinion is that M2 vanilla is better than RTW vanilla.

And I haven't played empire, but it seems like the general concensus is that the series is getting worse.

I dunno, I think ETW looks pretty cool, and I'll get it eventually. I'm just going to wait 'till the price drops. By then I might have a PC to run it...

But once all the patches are out and some good mods are developed, I'm sure ETW will be fine.

Oh, and of course there will inevitably be an expansion pack. Hopefully that will help.
    Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; 08-10-2009 at 17:59.
    Preview of the Week:

I got to the point of where I had played vanilla RTW to death and got M2TW. I played it a lot for a couple of weeks and decided I like RTW better. The colors in M2TW are all murky and the camera has a soft focus on it unless you're on ground level which I also didn't like. I now dl'd Amazon Total War for BI and it's like having a brand new game, it's all I play now
    "They shall know the power of thy sword" ManoWar

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

I myself have yet to get into an expansion or a mod. Only the original games for me, I suppose, but I admit to still enjoying a good game of rome. I love hoplites...
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

I’m enjoying an RTR campaign right now.

The improvements from vanilla RTW are tremendous. Just dumping the goofy Ramses-style Egyptians is a huge step forward. I like the way the garish faction colors have disappeared too along with the sillier units.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I’m enjoying an RTR campaign right now.

The improvements from vanilla RTW are tremendous. Just dumping the goofy Ramses-style Egyptians is a huge step forward. I like the way the garish faction colors have disappeared too along with the sillier units.
    Removing the silly Egyptians and the fantasy units is always a good thing, but personally I've always preferred the strongly colour coded factions/units in STW/MTW/RTW. In mods such as RTR and EB most units are a particular shade of brown, which means that it's difficult to tell units apart in battle.

Yeah I kinda liked the bright colors. Made the game feel more... vibrant. As opposed to BI, which is rather dark I think. Maybe it's because of all the filty barbarians.

But the advantages of mods (especially EB and RTR) far outweigh such things. If I want to fight with bright purple and red soldiers I can always run vanilla.
    Preview of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovistus Maximus View Post
    Yeah I kinda liked the bright colors. Made the game feel more... vibrant. As opposed to BI, which is rather dark I think. Maybe it's because of all the filty barbarians.

But the advantages of mods (especially EB and RTR) far outweigh such things. If I want to fight with bright purple and red soldiers I can always run vanilla.
    It's not so much about "feel"... let me put it this way, would you like to go to watch a football match where both sides were in brown kit? At the end of the day, TW is a game. I see the colours in the same way as I see the interface, mouse pointer and unit cards: Necessary.

The colors are useful from a game play perspective, no doubt about that. But such play aids come at a cost.

My problem is that I, like a lot of TW players, am a wargamer. A grognard even!

Ergo I prefer to think of the TW series as wargames or simulations. They are indeed not strictly simulations and CA has said as much repeatedly. Still, I want as much sim as I can get on the battlefield. The huge banners, green arrows and day-glow faction colors that help players to follow the action shatter the feel and emersion that I want and that’s why I get rid of them. I want the troops to look the way we think they looked and to perform like we think they did.

Thankfully, with mods we can have it both ways. There can never be too many options.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

That seems to be one of the drawbacks of RTW and later, in that the skins cannot simply be recoloured "on the fly" as in MTW. I've always said that people get different things out of TW games, which is what makes them quite unique.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    That seems to be one of the drawbacks of RTW and later, in that the skins cannot simply be recoloured "on the fly" as in MTW. I've always said that people get different things out of TW games, which is what makes them quite unique.

Ah, how I miss that...

In fact, that is the only reason I started modding in the first place...everybody likes fresh skins
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Motep View Post
    everybody likes fresh skins
    That should be the modder's motto or something.
    Preview of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    God this forum is empty these days. It brings a tear to my eye. Cmon i know you are all still out there. Myself, well i haven't updated because of logistical issues but that doesn't mean i would stop rtwin it. I know there are still players out there, why just last week i converted two of my mates to be rtw fanatics so i know the game still has some entertainment value.

So any ideas on how to reconnect to our lost brethren. (curse you etw and the flow of modern technology!!!!!!!!!)
    Hi - I recently bought the "Total Wars Eras " compilation.

I have just started to play the 'ROME' game (a complete novice). Ignored for now the other two games.

I love the Roman period in history - (they eventually invaded my Country - when [Little Boot]Calligullar ruled).

Please keep this forum alive. I will return - after playing the game, for adivice.

Quote Originally Posted by simulate View Post

I have just started to play the 'ROME' game (a complete novice). Ignored for now the other two games.

I love the Roman period in history - (they eventually invaded my Country - when [Little Boot]Calligullar ruled).

Please keep this forum alive. I will return - after playing the game, for adivice.
    Hey sim! Welcome to the .Org. 'Tis a most friendly and congenial place.

Well, if you'd like to further inspire your taste for TW games, I suggest you have a look at the AAR forum. Basically, people play the game and write about it as kind of a novel. Very good stuff.

And once you become familiar with the game, you might try one of the modifications, which allow you to adapt the game to your taste.

So... you live in... Brazil?
    Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; 08-21-2009 at 02:17.
    Preview of the Week:

Smile Re: Does anyone like RTW anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovistus Maximus View Post
    Hey sim! Welcome to the .Org. 'Tis a most friendly and congenial place.

Well, if you'd like to further inspire your taste for TW games, I suggest you have a look at the AAR forum. Basically, people play the game and write about it as kind of a novel. Very good stuff.

And once you become familiar with the game, you might try one of the modifications, which allow you to adapt the game to your taste.

So... you live in... Brazil?
    Thanks for the welcome.

.... Brazil?

Thanks anyway.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simulate View Post

The forum need a revolution or something. You know, a new patch, a new expansion or something.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I'va also, at last, started playing RTW seriously after the demise of MTW. I'm playing vanilla vanilla-no factions unlocked, Julii, no mods, just straight ol' plain ol'. And enjoying it.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    The forum need a revolution or something. You know, a new patch, a new expansion or something.
    Well, RTR 7 should be coming out, and there are many mods for RTW that are quite alive.

And really the AI doesn't seem to be developing greatly in intelligence by each game (they still don't do naval invasions AFAIK), I think RTW is far from extinct.
    Preview of the Week:

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

I always like coming back to this thread. Always nice to see that there are new players in the rtw community.

4 pages, not bad, all in all

Not only the pages, but the length. This is the oldest non-stickied thread I've seen.

Actually it's among the first threads I posted in...
    Preview of the Week:

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Hehe it is the first thread i created....

You didn't post a thread for two years??

Memories, sweeeeet memoriieeessssss...

Anyways, maybe when RTW II comes out you'll have something to worry about.

Actually not even then because it will be so graphics-intensive that people will still play RTW. :D

And actually RTW online is still going strong. More people than M2TW online usually.
    Preview of the Week:

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

I still play RTW all the time. I'm just not as active here on the .Org as I used to be.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast