Thread: Please help before i throw the game away

Angry Please help before i throw the game away

Hi all
    First post, I joined to ask this...
    I'm playing MTW (the first one). I've just reinstalled after ages, i've played it a lot in the past. Its version 1.0 as i havent updated.
    I'm playing as Turks on Expert setting, Early period. Its 1170 ish. I've got all the Balkans as far up as Hungary, all of North Africa and Spain so doing OK.
    This is my problem and its caused me to rage quit at least twice.
    Ive had Egypt for ages - the Egyptians were the first Faction i eliminated. Its set on Very Low tax had a Loyalty of 190% ish, high Zeal, A Garrison of at least 200 troops - sometimes more. The Governor is in the Fortress, he has 9 Acumen and two attributes that give combined 30% more happiness.
    AND THERE HAS JUST BEEN A PEASANT REVOLT.
    What am i doing wrong? I can't understand it? There is always at least one alim and one assassin in the province as well.
    Please help as i feel the game is 'cheating' just because its on expert setting, and i'm almost at the point of uninstalling. I don't want to play a game that makes things difficult just by randomly 'cheating'.
    yours

ant

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Default Re: Please help before i throw the game away

Welcome to the .Org antmulder

I found this to be a problem with Med 1. As soon as you get to a certian size you will have to deal with the occational peasant revolts. Chalk it up to your empires growing pains and the fact that in this time period peasant uprisings were not uncommon. Most of the time in fact, open rebellion simmered in the towns and taverns on the outskirts of the kingdoms. But their is a solution to your problem, an iron fist.

Foolish peasants, they forget their place in life. Something about the Freedom of Man and equality or some such rubbish.
    As their Lord, Master and King, I highly suggest you put down this revolt post haste. Show them the error of their ways and execute the ringleaders.
    If you do not stop it now it can spiral into civil war.
    Last edited by Phog_of_War; 04-24-2009 at 11:46.
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Pretty much as said by Phog_of_War

Also, 1.0 tended to go a bit crazy with the peasant revolts. I had an English campaign and everything from Poland to the Pyrenees was solid grey :)

Patch to 1.1 for a much better experience; patch should be around here somewhere, enjoy
    Ja-mata TosaInu

I haven't played 1.0 in ages so I'm not sure what to make of this. You should check and make sure your king isn't trapped in some "land-locked" province. That could cause loyalty to drop. Anyway, I heard those Saharan people in Cyrenacia love to raid farms and kill peasants.

I also no longer play version 1.0, but these are the things that usually cause revolts. Did your all conquering Faction Leader recently die and get replaced by someone less inspiring? Is your FL somewhere that no longer has a contiguous line of controlled regions leading to Egypt? If your FL is on an island and an AI enemy fleet contests your control of the waters around the island, then your FL is cut off. Did you fail a jihad recently? Also, some provinces are just rebellious, like Portugal, among others. Version 1.0 may have Egypt as one such province.
    Don’t let a little peasant revolt spoil your game. Crushing revolutions is an easy way to train up young heirs. Everything works, if you let it.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

Thanks very much for all your advice.

I did wonder if it was a v1.0 issue and I have D/L the update. I hope that it cures the fault. I like some randomness in games but not such abject cheating. There was NO cause for my happy, well fed and DAMMIT loyal peasants to revolt!

I love this game, and have passed it on to my kids who now know far more about european history and geography than they would have.

They unfortunately also know about hacking as they keep changing the Faction leaders names and attributes to be offensive to each other. I was playing the other day and the English had a King Danny who was "irritating", and a King Josh who was a "knob-end".

Thanks again

ant

Yes, that is very... unfortunate.

*sniggers*

Self proclaimed loser of 'User Who Looks Most Like His Avatar' competition.