I'm doing a project on the depiction of Byzantium in the two Medieval: Total War games - to what extent its accurate, what kind of image of the Empire it portrays - and I'd like to get some general thoughts from other players. Anything in terms of military, names, geography, situation, politics, culture - even the faction colour. All thoughts/opinions are welcome, particularly these strands:

1) Those knowledgeable on the Byzantine Empire can perhaps say what they think is wrong with it - or right with it - and how accurate various elements are. Recommendations for improvements might also be an area of interest.

2) I'd particularly like to know first impressions from those who may never have even heard of the Byzantine Empire before playing the games. What struck you first about them? What sort of impression did you go away with purely from playing the game? Did that change over time? And so forth.

3) How do you think the depiction of Byzantium changed from Medieval to Medieval II, if at all? Did it get worse? Better?

Again, this is mostly based on your impressions just from playing the game, so even if you haven't read anything about Byzantium please feel free to chime in.