Thread: Peace? the AI actually offered me peace??

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Default Peace? the AI actually offered me peace??

I'm sorry I can't back this up with a screeny but last night, in my Spanish campaign I saw the rarest thing from the AI...

Having not established diplomacy with the Knights in Malta, and desirous of their Island for myself or a protectorate, I landed a force on the island and blockaded the dockyard. Wanting to give my 3rd rates' a whirl, I moved my invasion force into the docks, provoking their fleet to attack my blockade.

The naval battle done (3rd rates really do sound a death knell to mixed Galley fleets), I moved my invasion army to besiege the region capitol and ended the turn. The defenders, in their turn decided to try to oust my force from the island and attacked their besiegers.

It was a futile endaevour however, as my expeditionary force was composed of veterans from the Portugese, Moroccan and Barbary campaigns. The Maltese were routed, but in such numbers that I wasn't able to annihilate them (not enough cavalry). Once it was my turn again, I decided not to press home the attack and refit my units as the siege was pursued, ending the turn as it began with.

Then in their turn, the Maltese AI offered me the strangest deal: PEACE, in return for a gift to them of 50,000 pieces of gold!

Once i got over the surprise of seeing the words "peace" and not at my instigation, my overiding sentiment was annoyance at the cheek of it, so I turned down their offer.

In my turn, I then tried to make peace and sign them on as a protectorate for sums up to 8,000, but to no avail. Strange...

This is the first time I've ever seen this sort of thing in ETW but it's not the first thing i've seen that didn't make much sense.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: Peace? the AI actually offered me peace??

similar experience:

marathas, taken all of U.P.'s overseas holdings (including america) and destroyed all their trade fleets, as well as occupying their only remaining trade port, as well as their naval hospital. they offered peace for 36,000 dollars. i owned all of india and 4 settlements in america, to their measly 2 settlements in europe. obviously i turned it down.

now that they offer peace, they need to be reasonable about it............
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

:D indeed!

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    I'm sorry I can't back this up with a screeny but last night, in my Spanish campaign I saw the rarest thing from the AI...

Having not established diplomacy with the Knights in Malta, and desirous of their Island for myself or a protectorate, I landed a force on the island and blockaded the dockyard. Wanting to give my 3rd rates' a whirl, I moved my invasion force into the docks, provoking their fleet to attack my blockade.

The naval battle done (3rd rates really do sound a death knell to mixed Galley fleets), I moved my invasion army to besiege the region capitol and ended the turn. The defenders, in their turn decided to try to oust my force from the island and attacked their besiegers.

It was a futile endaevour however, as my expeditionary force was composed of veterans from the Portugese, Moroccan and Barbary campaigns. The Maltese were routed, but in such numbers that I wasn't able to annihilate them (not enough cavalry). Once it was my turn again, I decided not to press home the attack and refit my units as the siege was pursued, ending the turn as it began with.

Then in their turn, the Maltese AI offered me the strangest deal: PEACE, in return for a gift to them of 50,000 pieces of gold!

Once i got over the surprise of seeing the words "peace" and not at my instigation, my overiding sentiment was annoyance at the cheek of it, so I turned down their offer.

In my turn, I then tried to make peace and sign them on as a protectorate for sums up to 8,000, but to no avail. Strange...

This is the first time I've ever seen this sort of thing in ETW but it's not the first thing i've seen that didn't make much sense.
    I've seen several AI's peace offers post patch 1.02. In a couple occasions, the AI offered money TO ME... On one occasion, an AI faction (Westphalia) offered to become my protectorate in exchange for 3000 ducats after I had destroyed their field army and was about to take their capital. I agreed.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I've seen several AI's peace offers post patch 1.02. In a couple occasions, the AI offered money TO ME... On one occasion, an AI faction (Westphalia) offered to become my protectorate in exchange for 3000 ducats after I had destroyed their field army and was about to take their capital. I agreed.
    for some reason, the A.I. won't accept peace unless you give them at least $30,000 bucks, but they will offer you a few hundred-thousand for peace. idiotic a.i.
    Last edited by Prussian to the Iron; 06-03-2009 at 14:36.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

I just had my first AI peace offering. It was a bad offer, but at least the AI tried. I was GB in North America. The Cherokee had taken Charleston, but it rebelled and the US emerged. The US then took Atlanta (which I was find with) but then started moving up the coast, taking Virginia and Maryland. In my current GB campaign, I've decided not to win over the 13 colonies but to instead defend the protectorate and cede them territory. It keeps my territorial expansion penalty low, I still get 1/2 the income without having to manage anything for long, and it makes the game a bit more challenging.

Anyway, I took a page from Grant and marched down the coast, throwing the rebels out of Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas. With a full stack in Georgia and the US down to its last region, they sue for peace. With my musket to their head, they offer peace in exchange for me giving them some tech and 22,000 gold. I chuckled, then pulled the trigger.
    Fac et Spera

As GB, I'm at peace with the Barbary Pirates. They offered peace, not once, but twice. No money changed hands.

I sent a small punitive expedition - a general (he was sitting around London getting fat), two regiment of line, a regiment of horse - to take Algiers. I immediately marched my entire force back to the coast, hit the replenish buttons for all their casualties, reboarded the fleet and sailed east. I then gave Algiers to Morocco.

The following turn, I bypassed Tunis as it was heavily defended. I repeated the Algiers procedure at Tripoli but gave it to the Turks, instead.

Tunis being too strong for such a small force to take, I settled in to a routine of seizing Tunis' port, offloading the cavalry who made a quick raid to the iron mines via the farm. The next turn, one Barbary force would march out to confront the horse soldiers (John Wayne and Bill Holden in the van) while another would chase off my fleet. The cavalry would avoid contact, then march back to the coast and reboard the fleet. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

After about ten turns of this, they chased my fleet out of port and immediately sued for peace; didn't ask for any money. I countered demanding cash. They refused. After two more cavalry raids into the interior, they again offered peace. This time I took it.

One word of caution. They're pirates. They fight dirty. The first time I landed the cavalry, I sent the general with him. He was immediately assassinated. No big loss, though; he was in his sixties and had already picked up Trencherman.