Thread: CTD: Definite problem with General's and Ports

Default CTD: Definite problem with General's and Ports

This is the second campaign I've played where towards the end of the campaign I've had a persistent 'Crash to Desktop' caused by landing a General at an enemy port.

The game allows the General and his army to be disembarked at the the port, but as soon as you then try to do anything with the General after that it causes an immediate CTD. The rest of the army you can do with as you will, but the General is untouchable from the moment he sets foot back on 'terra firma'. In fact, you can't even disband his unit without causing a CTD.

BTW: As an experiment I reloaded a saved game and repeated the landing, but this time I disembarked the army on the beach instead of at the port and everything was fine. So, its purely General's and Ports that cause the problem.

One Final Test: For completeness I also tried disembarking the entire army at the port, but leaving the General behind on the ship. The idea being to land the General on the beach alongside the port afterwards. However, trying to leave the General on the ship caused an immediate CTD, so it looks like the entire army and its General must be landed on the beach to avoid the problem.
    Last edited by Didz; 06-03-2009 at 14:01.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: CTD: Definite problem with General's and Ports

hmm, ive never had a problem landing generals in ports.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

I've had a similar CTD issues when trying to land specific units out of an army and not just the general.

In other words, I took a full stack army into a port, but decided that I only needed a couple of units to either add to an army already on land or simply perform garrison duty. In trying to disembark two selected units of the larger army, I got a CTD and neither of the units were the General's group.

It's my theory that certain, or maybe even random units, get created with corrupt files or they become corrupted enough that they will always cause a crash at certain transfer points--usually ports.
    Just as a test, I wondering if you have a different army with a different general available to see if the same thing happens at the same port. The idea being that it could simply the particular general's unit in your situation and not just any general's unit.

Also try to see if the same general causes a crash at a different port.

Advancement in rank or chevron levels could be a source of corruption. These port CTD's used to be worse, but I think the developers been systematically eliminating some of these crash point bugs . Obviously they haven't found them all yet or maybe just haven't really isolated the root cause of the issue.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 06-03-2009 at 16:49.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    In other words, I took a full stack army into a port, but decided that I only needed a couple of units to either add to an army already on land or simply perform garrison duty. In trying to disembark two selected units of the larger army, I got a CTD and neither of the units were the General's group.
    Me too. Trying to split up a stack in a port = CTD regardless of unit type.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    Me too. Trying to split up a stack in a port = CTD regardless of unit type.
    this i agree with
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

I would like to add the CTD that usually kills my campaigns: If yI fight enemy fleets that contain merchant ships and I capture and add some of those to my fleet afterwards I usually have CTDs when I trying to split the fleet in merchantman and warships.
    If I keep the fleet mixed (captured merchantman and warships) and move them to the next trading spot - no income from this trading spot.