Thread: "Iron-Man Rules"

Default "Iron-Man Rules"

It might be fun to collaborate on a system on self-imposed rules that yield more realistic/historical games.

For example, Iron-Man ETW for Britain might include:

(1) Must keep fleet in English Channel (of 3 ships or more than the number of French ships within one move, whichever is greater) at all times.

(2) Must keep army (of 5 best-possible units or at least half the number of French units within one move of French Channel ports, whichever is greater up to 10) at all times.

(3) Can only use 1 trade spot in each trade theatre. This can go up by 1 for every war against France or Spain.

(4) Can never eliminate any European faction.

(5) Cannot trade Moose Factory for Curacao, etc.

Etc...?

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: "Iron-Man Rules"

i like to add:

cannot declare war on protectorates or allies for 4 turns after the alliance is cancelled and all previous agreements nullified.

(so yu must cancel all agreeements with that nation, as well as any alliances with it, and then wait 4 turns until you can attack)
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

These are the rules I've imposed on myself so far.

1) There must be one trade ship in the fleet for every unit transported by sea.

2) Trade ships being used to transport units may not fire their cannon if engaged in battle.

3) One random units must be deleted if a trade ship carrying troops os lost or captured (hasn't actually happened yet, I'm very careful)

4) One one trade portal may be used in each trade theatre.

5) Fantasy units don't get used (exception being Bomb-ketches v Pirates as the AI just went stupid with employing them en-mass in my last game)
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

I can't believe this is the state we're in: having to limit our games in order to facilitate challenging game-play. I can't abide by having to do that though, unfortunately for me anyway.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

1) Do not sue for peace with anyone that declares war on you
    2) Do not trade with anyone at war with your allies
    3) You should aid you allies with either: cash, fleet action, troop raid, or troop defense at least once every 3 turns
    4) No territory trading ever
    5) Share tech's with allies, (be interesting on a prestige campaign).

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    I can't believe this is the state we're in: having to limit our games in order to facilitate challenging game-play. I can't abide by having to do that though, unfortunately for me anyway.
    What are you talking about? The .Org has been doing this for a long time, and for all of the total war series.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majora1988 View Post
    What are you talking about? The .Org has been doing this for a long time, and for all of the total war series.
    :D just proves how new I am here! Sorry!

Don't think I ever played a TW game as attentively as ETW, despite being a fan since Shogun, so I never really noticed as many "gaps" as now (perhaps).

Added a new one to my list last night.

6) Don't use rope ladders when attacking forts (might make an exception for wooden ones). Basically, to take a fort you must make a breach in the wall and then storm it. Makes taking forts a lot harder and more realistic.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

There was a pretty good discussion on this several months back. Check out this thread, it has lots of useful info.