Thread: Blockade?

Default Blockade?

Can someone please explain to me the blockade mechanics?

Last turn I netted over 13k as GB. The French blockade Glasgow which showed somewhere around 2k in income. This turn, Bristol, showing 11k, Greenwich, showing 3-4k, and Liverpool are all unblockaded, but my net is barely 1k.

According to the trade screen, the only trade I'm carrying out is with Genoa and Savoy. My Swedish, Dutch, Ottoman routes are all completely blocked. Who the hell is shipping 11k worth of goods through Bristol, and why am I not seeing any of it?
    Last edited by MilesGregarius; 06-09-2009 at 16:35.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: Blockade?

i think that, as GB, you have 2 trade ports in london region correct? these ports (capital region ports) are the ones that all your international trade is shipped through. so if one is blockaded, than a ton of trade with other nations will be squashed.

iam guessing that one port is full and 1 is pretty empty, and they are blockading the full one. i will have to go on tonight and see which ports are which for GB, but could it be possible the other nations routes/ports are being raided/blockaded? if so then that is the problem, which can often be tricky to deal with.

i can't fully understand what you are trying to say; could you re-word it?
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

You are probably seeing your trade theater income in Bristol. All goods are shipped to your capital, then distributed to your trade partners.

Also, John is incorrect. Any trade port that is connected to your capital can trade. For GB, this includes both Scotland and Ireland. The Irish trade route is bugged though, it doesn't show up on the campaign map.

To verify, note that you can make a total of 9 trade agreements on the first turn - you have one level 2 port in England which gives 3 routes, and one level 1 port in England, Scotland and Ireland, giving you an additional 6.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

really? in my marathas campaign i have all global trading companys in all my provinces on my west coast, adjacent to my capital, and i can only have enough trade routes for overland trade and the capacity of my capitals port...........
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Quote Originally Posted by MilesGregarius View Post
    According to the trade screen, the only trade I'm carrying out is with Genoa and Savoy. My Swedish, Dutch, Ottoman routes are all completely blocked. Who the hell is shipping 11k worth of goods through Bristol, and why am I not seeing any of it?
    This is why I've asked for a facility that lets you click on a blockade or raid report on your trade report and be shown where the problem originates.

It ought to be possible to show the player why his trade with a specific country or trade port has been blocked and where. The current one off report is out of date as soon as you push the End Turn button.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Slight change of tack, but considering the staggeringly monumental importance of breaking blockades and getting main ports repaired ASAP, why will the AI happily sit around not doing anything to help itself?

Seconded on Didz comment regarding the blockade location. There is the turn pop up on sea raids, but land ones can be just as bad & they don't get a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    Slight change of tack, but considering the staggeringly monumental importance of breaking blockades and getting main ports repaired ASAP, why will the AI happily sit around not doing anything to help itself?
    Because the AI has not been programmed to play the game properly, as shown in my Trade Theatre Usage Analysis here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=117566

In fact, the much vaunted AI in ETW doesn't understand the basic's of how to use trade, all it consists of is a random 'player hate' routine designed to prevent the player winning at any cost.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I am simply wondering why blockading one port blocks a theater. It should have been easier to cut supplies from the region and it subsidiaries than from the whole theater.

This is a rather lazy and apocalyptic system as it stands. An enemy need block only one port per theater and raid only a central root of the trade network.

Gosh! If it is so easy why did the Brits go to all the effort and expense to block all French ports in the 18th and 19th centuries, when just one would have been enough?

Not only is it too easy to be blocked by the AI, it is also too easy to blockade them from trade.

We need something that is a bit harder to cut off and takes more effort to do.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain