Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the sabaean and Thureophoroi mod.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default the sabaean and Thureophoroi mod.

Hi,

this is my first, pathetc attempt at minimodding EB, I decided to mod the sabaeans and the hellenistic Thureophoroi units. they are not installed in folder order, mostly because I want to have people to have the option of modding one, the other, or both.

installations:

a-download it

b-extract the files-they will all be in a folder (do NOT install this on the EB datafolder)

c-pick and choose what you want . just rememeber, if you are changing the arabians, replace not jut the models, but the sp an mp EDU files.

here are the features:

1-sabaeans: javelins are taken off the arabian nomadic units and cavalry; only the ethiopeians and the royal guard still have them. the EDU's for sp and mp are modified for them only. the red sea axemen have their shields UV'd to a buckler/caetra size, and the heavy cavalry no longer have helmets, but turbans (though it isn't a perfect redition).

2-Thureophoroi: the thureophoroi retain the same stats as before, so the EDU changes do not apply to it. the only change was a change to the texture (not model), removing the unit's armor. so basically the thureophoroi are all in tunics sine armor (helmet EDIT: and greaves however is on them). EDIT: Pontos' thureophoroi were left out

yes, I did back up the thureophoroi, but I did not do so for the Arabians, so please, please, backup the Arabian models and textures.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X83I8F3F

that's the link. as to why I did it: I felt bored one day, and was randomly reading a post by one of the members, and figured: "y'know, he has a point". his point led to the above minimod.

I hope you all enjoy.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Arche Seleukeia:

Ptolemaioi:

Makedonia:

Epeiros:

Baktria:

Greeks:

I'm too lazy to show the other arabians-besides, All I did was change the weapons and stats a bit. no, they are not over powered or anything.

hopefully in the near (or not so near future), I'll refine and add whatever was left out.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 07-02-2009 at 05:43.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Default Re: the sabaean and Thureophoroi mod.

Pics of the units, perhaps :)
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchhoplite View Post
    Pics of the units, perhaps :)
    Aw heck!!

you have a point. I'll be back in about an hour.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    Geeks:
    <pic>
    ...might want to fix that typo.
    Last edited by Watchman; 07-02-2009 at 01:16.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    ...might want to fix that typo.
    I went ahead and looked, and I don't see any issues.

so, how did you like it? do they look good in EB?
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 07-02-2009 at 02:47.

I went ahead and looked, and I don't see any issues.
    That... would be a new way of trolling the Graecophiles, yes.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Why would you give sabaean turbands, and remove javelins from nomad arabians?
    Most sabaeans are depicted either bare headed. Javelins are one of the oldest weapons around, and far spread too. It's a weapon known throughout the whole EB map, wierd that they wouldn't know about it in Arabia, no? Petroglyphs have shown cavalrymen with what likely are javelins.

One example (there are more):

Actually if there were javelins to be removed, my bet would be on the King's elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Why would you give sabaean turbands, and remove javelins from nomad arabians?
    Most sabaeans are depicted either bare headed.
    true, but I gave them turbans because there are indeed other depictions that show what appears to be an arabian style turban-its called a 3amaamah in arabic. besides, I have difficulty depicting bareheadedness with the models I have. however, I do hope to have bareheaded versions in the future. In fact, I might have to model the units from scratch, but until then, that's all there is

Javelins are one of the oldest weapons around, and far spread too. It's a weapon known throughout the whole EB map, wierd that they wouldn't know about it in Arabia, no? Petroglyphs have shown cavalrymen with what likely are javelins..
    of course they knew about it-its just that they weren't big on javelins. the only records I know of about javelins in Arabia are as officer status weapons, or in use by yemenis in the post himyar era of south arabian history (post 525 AD). otherwise, its described as a mostly "foreign" weapon, with ethiopeians being the most documented users. if javelins were used, they were a minority in an otherwise spear dominated people.

One example (there are more):
    as for that spear, its more likely just that-a spear. it could easily have been a lance or spear used overhand as it is a javelin, so this petroglyphs can't really be regarded as evidence of one or the other. this, with what was written regarding arabians by strabo (the roman expidition to saba), the pre-islamic poems, etc, convince me that javelins weren't particularly common. (don't you wish they drew better than that?)

Actually if there were javelins to be removed, my bet would be on the King's elite.
    true, but the guards share a model with another unit, so I'm stuck with this model (and weaponry) till furthur notice.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 07-11-2009 at 03:06.

as for that spear, its more likely just that-a spear. it could easily have been a lance or spear used overhand as it is a javelin, so this petroglyphs can't really be regarded as evidence of one or the other. this, with what was written regarding arabians by strabo (the roman expidition to saba), the pre-islamic poems, etc, convince me that javelins weren't particularly common. (don't you wish they drew better than that?)
    The thing is that when it comes to petroglyphs, we usually see lances and spears hold undergand when it come to cavalry. And that spears or javelins held over hand seem rarer, but are also depicted in combination of camels. As camels fighting with overhand spears look wierd to me, I'd suggest those would be javelins.

Also what records are you basing of that the javelin wasn't a common weapon in Arabia? I'm quite curious really.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

I know inscriptions of spears are usually difficult to interpret, but that looks like an overhand spear to me.

Javelins are cheap, highly effective killing weapons for impoverished people, and they can puncture poorly made armour very, very easily.

Beautiful work Ibrahim, can only hope you keep it up on AtB.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    I know inscriptions of spears are usually difficult to interpret, but that looks like an overhand spear to me.

Javelins are cheap, highly effective killing weapons for impoverished people, and they can puncture poorly made armour very, very easily.

Beautiful work Ibrahim, can only hope you keep it up on AtB.
    Eiter way I've yet to encounter some real reasons to see why arabians wouldn't have used javelins?
    On the other hand of course it's Ibrahim's mod and should mod as he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    Javelins are cheap, highly effective killing weapons for impoverished people, and they can puncture poorly made most armour very, very easily.
    Fixed.

Also what about this one? Note how the arm is just the way it'd be before throwing a javelin. Also note the spear/javelin is tilted upwards. Not downwards like with overhand spears.

Note these guys, Of which one spear is drawn way out of proportion and looks like a lance. Which can not be the case considering it's wielded above hand. However look the way they hold it, seems rather like javelins to me. All spears look not to point downward like they should with overhand spears, instead they look as if they are intended to throw.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Obviously, they're helicopters. With moving rotor blades.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Blast! Never noticed. Hmm Wadi Rum Apaches... would that make a good regional you think?

The thing is that when it comes to petroglyphs, we usually see lances and spears hold undergand when it come to cavalry. And that spears or javelins held over hand seem rarer, but are also depicted in combination of camels. As camels fighting with overhand spears look wierd to me, I'd suggest those would be javelins.

Also what records are you basing of that the javelin wasn't a common weapon in Arabia? I'm quite curious really.
    yeah, it is a pain sometimes.

as for my sources, I have mostly a few scattered accounts; one is about uhud: the story it tells indicates javelins weren't a common arabian weapon. Hind bint Utbah hired an Abyssinian slave to do the killing, as he was the only one she knew who could use a javelin with any skill. there is also an account of Umar conversing with Ibn al'as regarding weaponry, again showing that javelins, while known and occasionally used, were not considered reliable for arabs (they really weren't). then, there are all those poems you have to contend with: http://adab.com/modules.php?name=Sh3...tid=17&start=0 .

few if any refer to javelins, and most refer to swords, spears and bows, in that order. some of those poets were yemenis as well, who would have grown up in south arabian culture centers. I'm not saying javelins were not used at all, just that they weren't as common. oh, and I do use Osprey, thoughI do not use the reconstruction drawings, but the photographs instead.

however, now that I have seen these drawings, I'm convinced that javelins may have been more coomon than previously thought. now that only leaves one problem: how to reconcile those petroglyphs with the written account? what is the date on thise inscriptions? I suspect that it may be due to a temporal gap; most of the records are 3rd-7th centuries.

PS: does any one know what is the sabaean word for spear? just wondering.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 07-12-2009 at 23:51.

I don't have it in my outdated sabaic lexicon. I believe I had it in a later version which got lost after my laptop crashed. When I update it again I'll drop it by.

Any other sabaic words you might need?

Also further on javelins. It's not because of lack of historical data something didn't exist or wasn't used for miliatry purpose. Quite a few scholars tought sabaean didn't use the bow much, as the inscriptions studied by Beeston seem to suggest. However a victory stele full of archers carrying the chopped of hands of the defeated (some silly custom from there) shows that it wasn't the case.

Either way, while I'd avoid javelins from Sabaean elite units, more bedouin like units would surely be using javelins.

The Sabaic 'RṂH' probably means Lance/spear. But it's not sure.

The Sabaic 'RṂH' probably means Lance/spear. But it's not sure.
    rmh?

its almost definitely a lance or thrusting spear (80% so)-the same word is in arabic, and has the exact same meaning.

don't they have a word similar to hirbah or 'lt? that's the word for javelin in arabic*(by the the century it specifically referred to a pilum like weapon). acually, do they have nay for javelin?

*in later ages it cam to refer to bayonets, harpoons, and lances of the european type, but I'm sticking with the consice meaning as per "lisaanu ul-3arab"

oh, and I'll consider giving them javelins, just not now. (and yeah, I have those two new units ready for nabatu (AtB)-just need to reskin the sabaean version)
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 08-09-2009 at 21:31. Reason: fixing incorrect word. :embarrased:

The dictionary I use isn't exhaustive and it's based on inscriptions. You can't expect them to have found and translated every word they had. A lot of inscription are to be publiced and translated. A lot of them contain words not yet translated,...
    I didn't even find a word for shield, only for the leather used to cover it.

And let's not forget people had a rather annoying habit of being rather vague with their terminology - nevermind now the meaning of the words themselves tending to change over time. I've read of Abbasid lexigraphers getting grey hairs trying to figure out what the fig this and that word actually referred to but some two centuries earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    And let's not forget people had a rather annoying habit of being rather vague with their terminology - nevermind now the meaning of the words themselves tending to change over time. I've read of Abbasid lexigraphers getting grey hairs trying to figure out what the fig this and that word actually referred to but some two centuries earlier...
    Yeah and when we're talking about sabaic we've got more a language recorded and written for more than thousand years.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

@Moros: Do they teach you how to examine ancient art for evidence of this and that in school?

Because that looks more than anything like a fossil to me.

@Ibrahim: Atl is a word for javelin? That's reminiscent of the "atlatl" spear-thrower Cro-Magnon used, which is interesting.

I notice that often when you post transliterated Arabic words they have a number in them. How the heck is that pronounced?

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    @Moros: Do they teach you how to examine ancient art for evidence of this and that in school?

@Ibrahim: Atl is a word for javelin? That's reminiscent of the "atlatl" spear-thrower Cro-Magnon used, which is interesting.

I notice that often when you post transliterated Arabic words they have a number in them. How the heck is that pronounced?
    ooh! I misspelled it. thanks for catching it. I'll correct it. I was suppose to type in ullah ('lt or 'lh)

7 is like a thick h
    8 is like tha dutch sound-dunno what words have it. its ofter transliterated as "gh"
    5 is kh or ch-I bleive hebrew has it too. so does german, in words like "bach"
    3 is..undescribable in indo-european terms.
    2 or ' is a glottal stop-like that catch in your throat in "uh-oh!"
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 08-09-2009 at 21:33.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Thanks, that's, uh...well, thanks.

3 is..undescribable in indo-european terms.
    Like ph'nglui, perhaps?

Thanks, that's, uh...well, thanks.

Like ph'nglui, perhaps?
    I'd have to hear that in order to form a jusgement.

Well, the only place I know of where you could hear it is Innsmouth, Massachusetts. Look up a guy name Zadok Allen.

Ok, I'm kidding. But do you know of any videos or sound files where it is pronounced? Your description piqued my interest.

Well, the only place I know of where you could hear it is Innsmouth, Massachusetts. Look up a guy name Zadok Allen.

Ok, I'm kidding. But do you know of any videos or sound files where it is pronounced? Your description piqued my interest.
    look up any speech in arabic-its a common sound, and very conspiquous. If you want an isolated example, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Just curious Ibrahim, where are you from? Clearly arabic of some sort. But there are a few countries in that part of the world. You might even live somewhere else and just be of arabic decent.

Its just an obsession of mine, knowing where people come from.

First guess, Qatar?
    Yemen maybe? hmm.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

As I study history and not Archeology the awser is, no. Not sure if studying petroglyphs are teached in a standard Archeology study here. Tough there are some people from my university who do or did studying on petroglyphs.

Also perhaps the picture is not clear, but it's 100% sure it's a carving. There are a lot of them sometimes accompagned by short inscriptions as well. Sometimes even depicting whole battles or caravans.

@Blxz: I believe Ibrahim is from the UAEs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast