Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tournament rules brainstorming thread

Default Re: Tournament rules brainstorming thread

Just thought I'd give you guys some real life experience.
    I do german longsword fencing and the mechanics are more of less the same as single sword and most other weapons of the time.

A strike over the top generaly beats a low strike unless the duellist striking low is both very quick and moves offline. The top strike has greater reach.
    Moving offline (15 degrea's or more) gives a duellist strenght as long as his opponent stays online (straight).
    A medium block will be fast and so would save you from high strikes.
    If you mirror your opponent both swords will clash and you will wind (y-nd). where both swords turn round each other trying to gain the upper hand. this is where some nice dice rolling determines who wins.

This is a very basic run down but I hope it helps when working out the duels.

Alexandre Le Sueur
    Chevalier of The Order of the Fleur de Lys
    Servant of France and Bretagne

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Tournament rules brainstorming thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Agrippa View Post
    A strike over the top generaly beats a low strike unless the duellist striking low is both very quick and moves offline. The top strike has greater reach.
    Moving offline (15 degrea's or more) gives a duellist strenght as long as his opponent stays online (straight).
    A medium block will be fast and so would save you from high strikes.
    If you mirror your opponent both swords will clash and you will wind (y-nd). where both swords turn round each other trying to gain the upper hand. this is where some nice dice rolling determines who wins.
    Interesting - to avoid confusion, I think we should leave the current rock-paper-scissors (RPS) system as it is for the tournament, i.e.:

High > Medium > Low > High

but we could think about some more realistic alternative labels for afterwards. If you want to propose alternative labels for rock-paper-scissors, I'd welcome them.

From what you've told us so far, it sounds as if we got it backwards:

Medium (block) > High > Low

(which we could make full RPS if we assume Low> Medium.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234