Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling the Mac experts

Default Calling the Mac experts

At the start of the year I was toying with the idea of getting a macbook of some sort to do my writing on. I got made redundant before I could look into it much; now I have a new job and the idea has returned. Thing is, I don't know anything about macs. I haven't used an Apple system since the early 90's. So I was hoping some of the people who do know about them could tell me if there was any point to buying one, and which particular type would be best.

I do not want to abandon my PC. I still intend to do all of my gaming and internet browsing there. The macbook would be for writing and little else, no distractions present on the system.

I'm considering it mainly because Macs have a reputation for "just working" and, if you listen to the enthusiastic praise, never suffer from any problems at all. I'm sceptical. I can see that they will suffer fewer problems relating to things like incompatibilities, but less problems with things like hardware failure? How many times have I nearly lost work due to some sort of PC failure in the past 5 years? Lots of times, the last being less than a month ago. My desktop is a great machine; I've had one bout of trouble in 2 years and 4 months. However that's the longest by far I've gone without PC problems of some sort, so I know it's the exception rather than the rule.

Macs also seem to have the reputation of being the writer's tool of choice. There's supposed to be a lot of powerful, easy to use writing and editing software available for them. I have no idea what’s out there. Currently I use Word 200 and, while overall it is great, I have been hitting some of its limitations. It’s not very good when wanting to move around large documents, such as locating a specific chapter midway through the manuscript and returning to edit it. My current manuscript is so big I get graphical glitches sometimes, or lines missed out in the display but which still exist invisibly in the background and reappear after I scroll the section up and down a bunch of times. I want to be able to write books - proper hundreds of pages long books with chapters, notes and everything –and I want to do so without pain.

So basically I want a proper, complete, easy to use and powerful dedicated writer's tool which won't be plagued by the occasional apocalypse. Is there any point in my getting one? It does seem like a lot of money to spend for one purpose based on the faint wish that somehow it will be better than my existing setup.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Calling the Mac experts

I'll jump in before the others. OS X, the current Mac operating system, is based on BSD Unix, so yes, in general it "just works." Hardware failures are platform-agnostic, however. Your main source of insecurity in any laptop is ye olde hard drive, and no OS can change that. Backing up is essential. Fortunately, text documents are (relatively) small, so something as simple as a flash drive can back up your entire opus.

As for writing tools, it's true, there are a slew of interesting and useful tools available on OS X. Some are ports from Linux, some are home-grown, and many are also available on Windows. Examples:

Scrivener
    z-write
    Storymill
    Novelwriter
    Storyist

And so forth, etcetera, etcetera. I've given up on MS Office for long documents. When Office '07 couldn't open a perfectly good RTF without crashing to the desktop, I uninstalled the beast and downloaded OpenOffice, which has proved much more stable. Now I do all of my contract work in OO, and my wife has converted her business to using exclusively OO. Why pay good money for instability?

If the laptop is meant to be a writing pad, I wouldn't recommend going any fancier than the smallest, cheapest Macbook Pro, which is going for £900 right now. The aluminum frame adds durability, and the multi-touch pad is implemented very, very well. Keyboard is okay by me, but your mileage may vary.

Almost no maintenance is required for a Mac. The only virus seen in the wild requires you to download an application with a weird name, and then double-click the thing. I don't think our resident amphibian is sufficiently gullible to be at risk. Defragmenting is a waste of time. The only thing I'd recommend is firing up the Disk Utility once every six months or so and having it repair permissions. That's it.

I've been using Macs (and Windows) since the days of the coal-powered punchcard computer. Feel free to ask for any clarification.

-edit-

I see the new Macbooks are using the freaky-advanced new laptop battery that gives you much more battery life. Kinda cool.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-15-2009 at 05:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    That looks perfect. Just perfect! If it's not then several of the other mac only ones looked well worth a try.

Hardware failures are platform-agnostic, however. Your main source of insecurity in any laptop is ye olde hard drive, and no OS can change that. Backing up is essential. Fortunately, text documents are (relatively) small, so something as simple as a flash drive can back up your entire opus.
    Currently I use 2 hard drives and a USB stick. The mac looks like it offers two extra backups for me. First there's the time capsule thingy; automated backup to a seperate external drive. Second there's a lot of extra safeties built into writing programs like Scrivener, things like the creation of an automatic seperate backup each time you save.

No viruses etc, good. Combine that with the fact that there would be no need to update drivers, software etc, no programs coming and going, and that in short the system would be incredibly limited in use, and nothing but a hardware failure should impact it. Right?

If the laptop is meant to be a writing pad, I wouldn't recommend going any fancier than the smallest, cheapest Macbook Pro, which is going for £900 right now. The aluminum frame adds durability, and the multi-touch pad is implemented very, very well. Keyboard is okay by me, but your mileage may vary.
    That one looks fine. I can get one for £828 on amazon.uk.

The apple shop in town is offering the same for £1,000 but with a time capsule included. It's one of the old style capsules which have just been discontinued in favour of the faster, newer model. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not; the capsules seem to be around £229 normally, however it is an older model and I do see that some people have trouble with them.

Both look to be limited offers so if I'm going to go for either I should do so ASAP. :shuffles feet: I don't know! I still don't know if it will be what I want - I don't know if I will be able to get on with the thing. I've been a PC user since the days of DOS.

This one can burn CDS or DVDs, correct? I'm having a hard time finding any information about what the super drive can do; you'd think they would make it clearer.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Our esteemed prosimian colleague covered most of the bases for you. I have been a dedicated Mac user for some years now and thus find OSX a much easier and more reliable beast.

If you can get the MacBook Pro, it's well worth the extra money. Since you are in the UK, you should keep an eye out on the Apple site for refurbished kit. You can often get a very good deal, and the bugs have been ironed out by the first user. If you want to be very mobile (if you enjoy writing in out of the way places for example) the MacBook Air is an absolute gem - especially if you get it on a refurb deal - otherwise a bit expensive.

For writing, the MacBook Pro (and Air surprisingly) keyboard is really balanced very well. It's got a lovely solid feel, and the finger gestures available on the trackpad make a mouse all but useless. I really rely on mice, but with my Air, I never miss one.

As you know, I used to write for a living, and I cannot recommend Scrivener too highly. It is everything a writer needs - a fantastic interface, awesome filing and categorisation facilities for research (web, photos, scans, documents) editing and searching features to die for, and a really clean full screen writing "tablet". As a professional scribbler, Lemur may have his own view which will be very worth considering, but I would buy a Mac just to have Scrivener. You will drool with excitement.

Superdrives are fully functional CD/DVD drives. On other points, the fact that Apple make the hardware and control software standards means that integration and reliability are very good. One can always get a lemon, but I have found the Apple stores (if you have one near) are very, very helpful - and you have a 14 day rejection period, even for refurbs. (You can get Scrivener on a 30-day trial so you could try your Mac and it together and if you hate the experience, send the computer back).

Note that you can also install Windows if you must, using Boot Camp to partition (though you need a full copy of whichever version, not an upgrade). Thus you can play games natively - though things like Civ IV have their own Mac port - and even RTW (urgh) is being ported in August.

For creative work like writing, you will never look back if you get a Mac.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. Time Capsule is one of those occasional Apple embarrassments, like Apple TV. They are enormously slow over wireless and all but useless. Get a reliable external drive like LaCie and use the Time Machine software built in to backup to it (one of Apple's truly inspirational ideas - utterly simple backup that just works - you'll never lose anything again).
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 07-15-2009 at 18:38.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    No viruses etc, good. Combine that with the fact that there would be no need to update drivers, software etc, no programs coming and going, and that in short the system would be incredibly limited in use, and nothing but a hardware failure should impact it. Right?
    Even if you have programs coming and going, OS X is much more neat about it. Where a Windows application is allowed to write to the registry, the Program folder, the User folder, the Application Data folder, the Windows folder, and just about anywhere else it likes, apps in OS X are allowed to write to a maximum of three locations, all clearly labeled. (One of which cannot contain active code.) I don't know why Windows has never introduced a measure like that. Saves heaps of headaches when it's time to clean up your machine.

This one can burn CDS or DVDs, correct? I'm having a hard time finding any information about what the super drive can do; you'd think they would make it clearer.
    The so-called superdrive can burn DVDs and CDs. No Blu-ray.

-edit-

Personally, I would not recommend the Macbook Air. No internal DVD drive, much higher price, and all to have a laptop that it wafer-thin. Well, maybe if I fondled one in person I'd change my tune, but I think the low-end 13" Macbook Pro is the smart buy.

-edit of the edit-

Another nice thing about the Macbook pro: LED backlighting, which means a brighter screen that won't darken over time, as most fluorescent-backed screens do.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-15-2009 at 18:48.

Ok. That all helps, so thanks to both of you.

I'm leaning towards the £828 macbook pro on amazon. A £71 saving compared to the Apple bricks and mortar price is considerable. Unless there's something important which only the apple shop can offer me?

The amazon one is definitely the right one isn't it? The details all look identical as far as I can see. I'm wary of the price ...

The amazon one is definitely the right one isn't it? The details all look identical as far as I can see. I'm wary of the price ...
    Yes, it's the same version. Since I'm in the UK at the moment, I looked up the Apple store and you can get a refurb of that model for only £729. Now that's a good deal (it has the usual 1-year warranty and qualifies for AppleCare too, so no risk to my mind). Bear in mind these come and go depending on availability.

Apple has the 14 day return policy, whereas I don't know if Amazon does.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 07-15-2009 at 19:00.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

You're certain the refurb is exactly the same? It doesn't have 'pro' in the name and the CPU speed is listed as being slower. Not that I doubt you; I like to be absolutely positive about these things before I take the plunge.

You're certain the refurb is exactly the same? It doesn't have 'pro' in the name and the CPU speed is listed as being slower. Not that I doubt you; I like to be absolutely positive about these things before I take the plunge.
    No, you are dead right. It's a slightly slower processor and therefore it's the MacBook from the last generation. Apart from the processor speed, it has the same specs (and oddly, was more expensive) - still the unibody, and the same graphics processor. For writing, it's likely to do the job admirably.

Might be worth phoning the Apple store to discuss any differences. Well spotted though!
    Albert Camus "Noces"

It looks fine spec wise. A fractionally slower CPU won't make any difference. Since the warranty etc is good I'm highly tempted and might go for it.

Do you think it will have one of those backlit keyboards?

I believe that's the model I'm typing on at this very moment. For the Pro model they bumped the proc a little and stuck in the fancier battery. Otherwise identical.

If this keyboard has backlighting I haven't found it yet.

Hmm. So what kind of battery life did the less fancy ones give? :wonders why she cares since it will be plugged in to the mains most of the time when in use:

The Macbooks have always gotten good battery life, three hours or so in actual use. But the new one gets five in reality, seven on paper. It's a big jump. But methinks battery life should take a backseat to price for the honorable frog princess. The screen is very clean and clear, the trackpad is aces, the wireless connectivity is superior, and the rest of it works as advertised. And you still get the LED backlight, so the brightness now is what it will be in five years.

A good deal for £729.

Ordered. Thanks for all the help.

Now all I need to do is wait patiently for it to arrive so I can resume writing. :taps fingers and is anything but patient: It's funny, I've gone off Word almost entirely since reinstalling windows a few weeks ago. I am still trying to kill off the bits I don't like, rebuild my custom dictionary, and otherwise restore the program to the way I like it. I've done this many times over the years and this time I'm nauseated by it. So much bother which gets in the way of actual work, and once all is back to normal I will still have sundry other minor problems navigating my 1,300 page manuscript. It’s been several weeks since I was last able to sit down and write; I’m getting withdrawal symptoms.

But methinks battery life should take a backseat to price for the honorable frog princess.
    I just like to know every tiny detail of an expensive purchase. That way I know precisely what I am getting. Especially with technology - sometimes nasty surprises lurk behind the specifications.

3 hours? And I thought my PSP had obscenely short battery life with 5 hours ...

EDIT: I should ask if there is a decent beginner's guide to using the system. I haven't used a mac since primary school and those systems were so old they were simply branded the Apple Mac, complete with funky rainbow apple logo.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 07-15-2009 at 20:23.

I should ask if there is a decent beginner's guide to using the system. I haven't used a mac since primary school and those systems were so old they were simply branded the Apple Mac, complete with funky rainbow apple logo.
    OS X and Windows borrow liberally from each other, so your learning curve should be shallow. A few basic key commands are different (pressing delete gets rid of a highlighted file in Windows, command-delete does the same thing in OS X, etc.).

Because of OS X's Unix heritage, things are a little more strict in terms of what can go where. Applications must go in the Programs folder, your desktop is really a folder contained in your user profile (as opposed to a part-folder part-application part-profile with special properties as in Windows), that sort of thing. Nothing should be too disconcerting. A lot less right-clicking in the interface.

If you want something to skim on the train the O'Reilly guides are usually (but not always) quite good.

-edit-

And here's a dumb browser trick that keeps me sane in a multi-computer environment:
    1. Download Firefox and install it
    2. Download Xmarks and install it
    3. Create your account in Xmarks, and do the same with your desktop PC
    4. Sync the two browsers

And hey presto, from now on when you add, delete or reorganize a bookmark it will sync between the machines. Xmarks does other stuff too, but I turn it all off. I just want it to keep my various computers on the same page.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-15-2009 at 22:33.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mac stability comes from the fact the OS is only tailored for macs, compared to a PC which is jumbled-up pieces of random hardware stuck together and because of this, the hardware and software combination is far more expensive in comparison to a normal non-Mac computer which Apple do to get a big profit. Developments in Open Source software over recent years have made a big impact to the limited programme issue, but many Microsoft products aren't accessible. Though now, you can dual-boot in either Windows or OSX, but that is really up to you.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Mac stability comes from the fact the OS is only tailored for macs, compared to a PC which is jumbled-up pieces of random hardware stuck together [...]
    If this were a test I'd give you partial credit. Tight software/hardware integration is only part of the reason for the (relative) increase in stability. There are also things like design decisions and the BSD heritage. Remember, bugs can be squished but bad design is forever.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-15-2009 at 23:41.

Personally I'd rather install Linux or FreeBSD on a far cheaper Desktop/Laptop of my own choosing than pay out the premium for any Apple products and in so doing become a slave to the "Apple lockin". But well each to their own.

For what it's worth, Caravel, a buddy of mine who is a Linux/BSD admin for a media group phoned me up with excitement after trying his first OS X notebook. "You have no idea what it's like to have a Unix laptop that just works," he said. So clearly in the notebook space there is room for the hardware/software integration that OS X offers.

IN support of which, go to any Unix convention and count the OS X notebooks. There will be many.

O'Rielly
    No free guides? I don't want to spend any more. Oh well; guess I can trust to a combination of experience and common sense. It can't be that hard to install a demo version of scrivener and get going.

Anything else I should know in order to maximise my changes of getting the thing, turning it on, and being able to write with no fuss or distractions in the least amount of time possible? Will the OS insist I tailor it, or will it accept the fact it's a fresh install and let me get on with my life without nagging and showing off its features? I can't stand the ever increasing trend in computers and consoles to waste user time with nonsense like creating profiles.

The comments about firefox and about more rigid structure reminds me - I shouldn't have any problems stuffing any and all internet browsers in an out of the way location, should I? Little icons which whisper at me to check [insert site or email here] need to be left behind on the desktop; their presence is a constant distraction and I know I would do far better without them. If I can't do anything but write on the machine then I will have to do nothing but write. Or so my theory goes.

No free guides?
    Many, of varying depth and quality. Here's a pretty good one oriented at first time users who are used to Windows (sadly it's four years out of date, but much of it still applies). Here's a more recent guide.

Will the OS insist I tailor it, or will it accept the fact it's a fresh install and let me get on with my life without nagging and showing off its features? I can't stand the ever increasing trend in computers and consoles to waste user time with nonsense like creating profiles.
    As I said, OS X is a variant of Unix, so you have to create a profile. By default you'll be an admin (not root, thank goodness). But Unix doesn't know what to do with you unless you have some sort of profile, which defines permissions and access rights.

If memory serves there's a moderately irritating video, and then you have to do things like type in your name, timezone, and a few settings. Nothing too horrifying.

I shouldn't have any problems stuffing any and all internet browsers in an out of the way location, should I? Little icons which whisper at me to check [insert site or email here] need to be left behind on the desktop; their presence is a constant distraction and I know I would do far better without them.
    The desktop and taskbar are fully customizable. If you want an app to hide in the Programs folder and never show up in your field of view, that's eminently doable.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-16-2009 at 22:53.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

As a new mac user, it's easy to get the hang of it. Isn't as intuitive as I had expected, but it's starting to come together. Mac doesn't 'just work' though, openoffice is prone to crashes and I wouldn't exactly call it fast and fluid, opening documents takes a long time. Also crashes in quiktime and safari. Also had a weird hardware problem that's supposedly a known issue with macbooks, keyboard had to be replaced. Cool little machine, but I am somewhat dissapointed. What does do right, keyboard feels truly fantastic, and it's quite the looker. Battery is excellent, been using it for a year and it I still get solid 6 hours from it.

It's here. I have it charging up. Hehe, I was checking the order status on the Apple site during my breaks at work to see if it had arrived.

Many, of varying depth and quality. Here's a pretty good one oriented at first time users who are used to Windows (sadly it's four years out of date, but much of it still applies). Here's a more recent guide.
    Great; thanks.

As I said, OS X is a variant of Unix, so you have to create a profile. By default you'll be an admin (not root, thank goodness). But Unix doesn't know what to do with you unless you have some sort of profile, which defines permissions and access rights.

If memory serves there's a moderately irritating video, and then you have to do things like type in your name, timezone, and a few settings. Nothing too horrifying.
    I'm a windows frog; OS X, Linux etc are all nothing more than names to me. Never used any of them, so I'm uncertain as to what they do and don't demand.

Doesn't sound too bad. Not compared to the epic fresh install of XP which whines at you to register online while whining at you to edit settings while slapping an inane video all over your monitor while demanding you do a windows update while spamming you with messages about new hardware while generally refusing to allow you to do anything because it's not immediately configured into classic mode. Generally takes me half a day to tame XP into a civil state.

The desktop and taskbar are fully customizable. If you want an app to hide in the Programs folder and never show up in your field of view, that's eminently doable.
    Phew. In that case I shall get firefox and set up the bookmark link as you suggested, then hide it safely out of easy reach. It will be convenient to have net access occasionally.

I'm a windows frog; OS X, Linux etc are all nothing more than names to me. Never used any of them, so I'm uncertain as to what they do and don't demand.
    Not to be terribly fussy, but if you use Google or Amazon you use Linux every day. I know, I know, not in the sense you mean, but it deserves saying.

It works.

The screen is very nice.

It's pleasant not to hear cooling fans while working.

Safari is quite decent. Might stick with it on the mac and reserve firefox for the desktop, since I don't intend to use the net much on the mac.

I hate the touch pad. My two main fingers of my right hand ache after 10 minutes of light touch pad use; the force required to generate a click is too much to be comfortable. I will have to get a mouse before my hand breaks. Unless the click sensitivity can be adjusted? I've found (and ramped up) the options controlling cursor and scroll speeds, nothing else touch pad related.

The bundled instructions are terrible. It doesn't cover things as basic as how to install programmes, or even what the various system settings do. I'm pretty sure I have scrivener installed now, but I've no idea how to clear out the downloaded file ... or even if I need to delete the downloaded file.

The bar at the bottom which I have tentatively identified as being named the object dock is full of junk. I need to find out how to safely remove stuff from it and to put in the few bits I will use.

:retires to read the instructional links, and to try out scrivener:
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 07-17-2009 at 19:47.

Unless the click sensitivity can be adjusted?
    Not near my laptop right now, but I think there's a way to enable tap-clicking instead of depressing the entire touchpad.

The bar at the bottom which I have tentatively identified as being named the object dock is full of junk. I need to find out how to safely remove stuff from it and to put in the few bits I will use.
    Click, hold, and drag items out of the dock, and they go away. The only thing you have to keep there is the trash can; all else is negotiable. Personally, I prefer to have the dock on the left of the screen instead of the bottom. I also like it to hide itself and be much smaller. All of this is available in the control panel.

Default download location for OS X is in your user profile, called "Downloads." It also shows up as a default in the dock. You can change the default download location in Safari (I prefer to have things DL to my desktop, so's I knows what I gots at a glance).

-edit-

It doesn't cover things as basic as how to install programmes
    Most programs install by dragging them into your Programs folder. To speed this up, a lot of installers include a shortcut to your Programs folder in the install package.

There are a few, a very few applications that run a Windows-style installer app. This is frowned upon in the world of OS X, and generally considered bad manners, but some of the bigger apps get away with it (Adobe, Microsoft).

If you dragged the installer icon into your Programs folder, it's installed. Next step might be to drag it onto the dock so's you can one-click to it in a hurry, when the muse is breathing down your neck.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-17-2009 at 20:25.

Thanks. I'm now browsing and posting from my macbook instead of the desktop, so I must be getting somewhere.

Anything which will make clicking easier or further boost scrolling speed (I've maxed out the slider under options) would be greatly appreciated. This touch pad is not frog friendly and it's going to be a while before I can afford a mouse. I don't fancy disconnecting the one on my desktop each time I use this.

Scrivener is a wee bit awesome. I'm working through the tutorials now and the potential of the programme is shining brightly enough to blind.

Typing this I have noticed that there seems to be some sort of spell checker running. That's not bad ... if I can fully figure it out. I have found out to how add words but I don't know if this spell checker is limited to safari or whether it has a wider effect. I don't want to go to a lot of bother with it if it's safari only.

Is there are any way to speed up the rate at which characters are deleted when holding down backspace? It currently deletes at the rate of an arthritic pensioner walking up a steep hill. Needs to be at least twice as fast, preferably three times.

By this point in my post I have decided that this keyboard is ok. I was skeptical at first; I prefer a 'deeper' depression on my keys. I do miss the nice clicky sound of my desktop board - I've been using it for over a decade!

Resuming my planned post contents, is there a way to get safari to fill the whole screen? I can't get it to fill more than 1/3 of it no matter what I do. Annoying.

Installing was easy. Locating the applications folder was less so

I lost 30% of my battery charge in half an hour! Is that right? I'm wary because of it being a refurb, want to be sure everything is correct.

What is 'spaces'? It's living in my thingy bar and when I try to find out what it is so I know whether to boot it out or not it asks that I install it. It won't tell me what it is.

Likewise for 'preview', except it opens up what appears to be a limited and mostly useless PDF manual for the OS.

I do like this screen. So clear, so easy on the eyes.

EDIT: 1 hour later and I have found the tap instead of click option. So much better!
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 07-17-2009 at 22:28.

Is there are any way to speed up the rate at which characters are deleted when holding down backspace?
    System Preferences→Keyboard & Mouse→Key Repeat Rate

Resuming my planned post contents, is there a way to get safari to fill the whole screen? I can't get it to fill more than 1/3 of it no matter what I do.
    That's very strange. The bottom right of the window should have an indented triangle which allows you to drag the window size.

I lost 30% of my battery charge in half an hour! Is that right? I'm wary because of it being a refurb, want to be sure everything is correct.
    Remember that's just what the OS is reporting, your actual charge may be different. That said, it sounds kinda off. You should be able to work off a plug for at least three hours.

What is 'spaces'?
    Seems like it's some sort of virtual window function. Never used it myself.

Likewise for 'preview', except it opens up what appears to be a limited and mostly useless PDF manual for the OS.
    Preview is a built-in PDF/JPEG/.doc/.rtf/PNG viewer. It's convenient enough, but I install Adobe Viewer anyway.

Just guessing but some batteries need to get some use before they work for as long as they should, I'd wait until you have emptied and loaded it a few times and see how long it lasts then.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Here I am testing how well I can write something in scrivener and then copy/paste it out onto the internet. Italics, bold, underlined, link to google. Ignore this.

System Preferences→Keyboard & Mouse→Key Repeat Rate
    That's better! I put both sliders to the fastest setting and it's now usable. I do wonder at some of the defaults this system had; they weren't very user friendly and made it look less pleasant to use than it is now proving.

That's very strange. The bottom right of the window should have an indented triangle which allows you to drag the window size.
    I got it to work now that I have edited the touchpad options to tap. Strong pressure required + awkward dragging motions without lifting my fingers = pain and failure.

Which reminds me of something I'm finding tricky about this OS and its programmes. There's a distinct lack of feedback when you click things. Unless a programme immediately launches or similar it's hard to tell if you clicked correctly, missed, or whatever. If a programme takes a bit to load then I'm left wondering if it's doing anything or if I need to try again. In scrivener it's impossible to tell which window is active unless I start typing, and that can get messy. Is a little highlight or a busy cursor be so much to ask for?

Misc battery life from two sources
    I shall let it run off the battery and see how it does against a timer, and repeat a few times over the next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast