Thread: 1.03: Spanish racket

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Thumbs up 1.03: Spanish racket

A VH UP campaign.

In the middle of early game, the Spanish declared war on me. On land, they were in no position to hurt me anywhere, but the painful part was that they had a huge fleet (filled with Galleons, second and third rates) in the Ivory coast trade theater and I did not have even a dockyard, the only big ships being the Galleons I captured from the Spanish and Pirates very early on.

I offered Spanish peace without much hope they'd accept. To my surprise, they came back with an offer: peace for cash (5000 gold pieces). Needless to say, I agreed (the loss of the trade route would have cost me much more).

Two turns later, the Spanish were back, cost me another 5000 gold to keep my trade route free. And so it went on for more than a decade (while I was assembling a military fleet).

I find, the AI was playing to its strength (and my weakness). Good job, CA!

Default Re: 1.03: Spanish racket

In my game H/H France, Spain DOWs me every two turns. But I offer peace for no terms and it immediately accepts and renews the trade agreement. This has happened 10 out of the past 20 turns. The only time we didn't make immediate peace was when I stole two islands, and THEN it accepted immediate peace with no terms. CA, it still needs work.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    In my game H/H France, Spain DOWs me every two turns. But I offer peace for no terms and it immediately accepts and renews the trade agreement. This has happened 10 out of the past 20 turns. The only time we didn't make immediate peace was when I stole two islands, and THEN it accepted immediate peace with no terms. CA, it still needs work.
    Well, I've seen this (what you describe) happen in my war with Marathas. However, I have not seen them willing to accept peace right after they declare war on me. Usually, I have to bring some defeats to their gen. public's attention.

Example (all happening in the same turn):

1. Maratha DOW on me; they send a fleet hurrying troops to Ceylon; they blockade my ports in Cirenatica and Ceylon.
    2. I intercept and defeat two Maratha raiding forces in Cirenatica and offer Maratha peace + trade agreement; the answer is: NO WAY!
    3. I defeat their sloop # 1 and offer Maratha peace + trade agreement; the answer is: no way!
    4. I defeat their sloop # 2 and offer Maratha peace + trade agreement; the answer is: yes, but give us 8,000 gold too...
    5. I sink and capture Maratha's fleet hurrying troops to Ceylon and offer Maratha peace + trade agreement; answer is: yes, but give us 5,000 gold too...
    6. I capture Mysore, destroying Maratha's army there and offer them peace + trade agreement, while moving my main army towards Goa; the answer is YES! finally, no money required...

It all kind of made sense to me. Marathas were quite confident at the beginning of the turn, but then grew increasingly wary of their losses. I supposed, public attitude towards the countries involved has to do something with it too. I was 'very friendly' with Maratha before the DOW and Maratha public attitude went back to "very friendly" after the peace deal was signed.

It's possible to repeat the above for some time, but once some unspecified threshold is reached, they would stop agreeing to peace (unless some territory is given back).
    Last edited by Slaists; 07-16-2009 at 20:19.

I seem to find the AI's willingness to make peace to be highly dependent on their relationship with you.

I have actually been at war with someone who was "indifferent" due to state gift, same gov type, respected leaders, etc. And they would make white peace at any time. Demanding things was, as usual, expensive if I wanted anything, but peace itself was no problem.

The repeated peace/war/peace/war is probably because you have decent relations with them so they accept peace, but they are hardwired to obtain objectives one of which you own and you share a border.