Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Order of the Fleur de Lys

Default Re: The Order of the Fleur de Lys

Alexandre Le Sueur stands and raises his goblet

"My brothers in arms ans honour let us toast this great beginning and pleadge to fight our common enemies and not each other. We still have a country to unite and the English to fend off, least they hear us and think they can divide us"
    "For France and her noble king and knights, may they create a kingdom that will challenge the world and serve god on earth!"

Alexandre Le Sueur
    Chevalier of The Order of the Fleur de Lys
    Servant of France and Bretagne

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Welcome, Chevalier de Gisors! We are honoured to have you join the Order!

Hermant excitedly writes another name on the parchment. Then he sits back and pulls out a letter in his pocket and slowly, deliberately begins to re-write the original parchment in a fairer hand.

[EDIT:] Disturbed from his laborious writing by the round of cheers and celebrations, Hermant hurriedly grabs his tankard and belatedly joins in Alexandre's toast:

"For France and her King!"
    Last edited by econ21; 07-22-2009 at 00:23.

Hermant finishes transcribing the Order documents into a fashionable Gothic script and then looks around. The tavern that has served as the venue for the first order meeting is emptying and few knights proper remain. Hermant rises to his feet and addresses the remaining audience:

Brothers, we have had a successful first day as an Order! To have attracted seven knights and all four Dukes to this cause is a greater achievement than I had dared imagine!

But now, brothers, we have some serious work to do. We must formalise this company - agree its rules and see it properly constituted. Therefore, I propose that the seven knights who have come together this day be regarded as the founder members of the Order. I ask them each to study the draft Charter of the Order carefully. I propose we put aside two days for debate over the contents of the Charter, so that we may discuss any amendments they wish to make. Then, at the end of that period, we will vote on whether to accept the document we have produced as our Charter. For the purposes of amendments and accepting the Charter, if we are unable to achieve a consensus, I propose we resolve disagreements by a simple majority vote of founder members. It is better to have some Charter than none at all.

I do not expect our distinguished patrons, the Ducs, to be involved in this donkey work of scrutinising arid text. But we will greatly appreciate any recommendations or suggestions that they may make.

We will continue to accept applications for membership of the Order, although existing members may request a vote on any new admission if they have reason to question the character of the applicant. Any new applicants who are admitted before our Charter is finalised will also be treated as founder members and have a right to participate in all constitutional decision-making.

Any knight is of course free to enter these chambers and swear the Oath to Chivalry with no obligation to join the Order. Their solemn vows will be a matter of rejoicing amongst us and we will wish them every success both in the tourney field and in the darker campaigns soon to come.

You already know what I think of the Charter. I accept it as it is now written. This has truly been more succesful than I imagined. This bodes well for the future of France and I am glad to see so many honest and virtuous men around me. It will be an honour to fight you at the tournaments and an even greater to fight with you against our enemies!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Hermant Mausvoisin's page enters the tavern that is serving as the Order's temporary headquarters. It is deserted - all the men are at the tournament. The page pins a coat of arms to the main parchment identifying the Oath to Chivalry and the Draft Charter.

"Flowery order" the page chuckles to himself and runs out to return to watch the tournament.

Hermant's page walks sulking into the tavern, knocking over a bar stool in his anger and scaring the cat. He walks over to the main piece of parchment and with a cursory scribble, crossing out the "Draft" on "Draft Charter of the Order".

"Stupid Hermant! He gets to whack people in the tournament, I have to do the paperwork."[/i]
    Last edited by econ21; 07-28-2009 at 02:31.

"I propose a toast to those among us who have participated so successfully at the Tournament! Our dearest patron Alain de Rohan has won through his valouros charge, while the knights Mauvoisin and le Sueur came in second and third. What further prove do we need that chivalry and martial prowess go hand in hand!"

He nods statisfied.

"While I didn't see everything during the opening stage my early capture gave me the opportunity to observe our fellow knights. Most of them have adhered to the Code of Chivalry though some couldn't resist the opportunity to use their numbers against a single opponent. All in all I am proud to be a member of this Order and look forward to fight alongside you in the upcoming campaigns!"

Hermant temporarily looks discomforted by Simon's words, but then rises to acknowledge the toast:

"Here, here!"

He then shifts and his tone changes:

"Gentlemen, the Council session has opened so now we too can use this moment of reflection to decide the Order's priorities for the coming ten seasons.

I propose that we form a company, composed of at least four brother knights with one of them in command as its captain. We need a formation of such a size for our Order to have any military weight within the Kingdom. We therefore face three questions:

First, who will ride with the company?

Second, where will the company be deployed?

And third, who will be captain of the company?

On the first question, I believe Simon and I have already indicated our intention to ride with the company. Are there any other brother knights among us who will join? The commitment is for the next ten campaigning seasons, but it will be a bond of fellowship only. Brothers will be free to leave the company at will - for example, if their Duchy requires their assistance - but so long as they remain part of the company, they should follow the Captain and fight together for France.

On the second question, I propose that initially we act as reinforcements for the Seneschal's army, supporting its maneouvres. Let us gather in Ille De France (OOC:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ask Zim to spawn your avatar there if you wish to ride with the company.
    Lacking any infantry of our own, the Company is currently unable to fight autonomously against most threats so we can only support Royal or Duchal armies. At the Captain's discretion, we may redeploy elsewhere - for example, if the Seneschal requires knights elsewhere on the front or if a particular Duchy comes under threat. While we have the luxury of time to debate deployment now, when the campaigning season starts we must have a chain of command and the Captain should have operational control of the Company.

On the third question, I nominate Simon for election to the post of Captain. Simon, will you accept the nomination and stand? Any other brother knight may contest the post, but they should be drawn from those riding with the company for the next ten seasons. The office is for ten seasons only - by our Charter, at the next Council session, we must elect a different Captain.

Gentlemen, I ask for your opinions on these three questions and any others you may have relevant to the Council session and the following term of the Seneschal."

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

"I to support Simon as our Captain, and would ride with the Company once Bruges is secure. The Germans will move on it soon, and it is a powerful point whence we can starve the English in the Royaume of men and supplies, while acting as a possible staging ground to strike at London, heart of the English Crown. I plan to take it within a two seasons with Bertin's help and the men available to my Duchy."

I had hoped you would get notifications about this:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/group...scussionid=189
    Maybe something to keep in mind next time.

Brothers, I am honoured by your support and accept your support for the position of Captain. In the interest of fairness I would like to see another candidate step forward so we have competition for the post and will strive to do our best. Maybe one of our successful tourney entries will lead us? They would have my support.

I agree that we should gather in France. We are still an unknown though and I don't know whether any Seneshal would realize our true potential right from the start. Maybe we should take up a course of our own to prove our worth in battle. You said that we can hardly hope to act alone, but we could throw our support behind one of the proposed campaigns of the Council. What do you think about reinforcing Saint Armand in capturing Metz? We could get the required Edict to pass and then join in the fighting, making Metz the first test of our fighting strength.

"Interesting proposal - should we then march upon Bruges? It is in my mind that maybe Bruges should remain a neutral staging ground for the Order should it be captured - it stands in the way of both English and German forces, making it a heated conflict zone that should be best left outside of House politics. Bruges as the main center of defense against English reinforcement seems reasonable to me, and it should end the debate on which House it rightfully belongs to."

"However, gaining land does make the Order a political entity, and I am worried that we may be dragged into interhouse bickering simply for holding it. We could sign a possible agreement with the King to preserve it's neutrality. Thought fellow brothers?"

Gaetan seems to ponder for a moment. "I may be a bit hotheaded for suggesting such, but if you truly wish for competition Simon, I shall throw my hat into the ring as well."

You have my support Gaetan de Rethel.

I may have worded my proposal badly. The main goal of this first campaign would not be to gain land, but to gain notice throughout the Realm as an efficient fighting force. Bruges is as good a goal as any, but we can only support and need other men to give more weight to our attack.

"I was thinking of having the Order take both Metz and Bruges and using Bruges as a base for further operations, and using it as a neutral staging ground. However, my Duc may object to not having Flanders within his realm so I am at a loss - still, Bruges must be taken, or Paris and our effort in the interior of the Royaume may be placed in grave danger, no matter whom controls it."

Brother Simon - I agree with your initial proposal, given the King's words in Council supporting the attack on Metz would be the logical first step for the Order. Provided Thomas can be persuaded to wait long enough for us to ride from Paris... What happens next we might even leave to the discretion of the Captain, although further discussion is certainly wise.

Brother Gaetan, you are welcome to run for Captain, but to do so I think you would have to commit to ride with the Company for the next ten seasons. I would not like to leave the Company leaderless even for a short period when another such as Simon is available to lead. Earlier you spoke of marching first with your Duke, so this may require some negotiation with him. If the Company were to support your Duke's march, there need be no conflict and I would not be opposed to that. Both brother knights and Dukes will have to become accustomed to satisfying obligations to both House and Order, but with good will on both sides, I cannot see this being a problem. After all, we already serve King, France and God without seeing a conflict.

I am also willing to nominate for Captain. I wholeheartedly believe Brother Simon would be an excellent captain, but I will also run in order to give the Order a greater scope.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

A competition is always healthy, Gaspard.

To reinforce my earlier words about membership of the Order being fully compatible with membership of a House, I have offered my services to the Duke of Burgundy. I discussed my being on active duty with the Company before making my oath to him and I believe we can make the arrangement work.

I would like to propose we formalise things a little. Each Council session, I propose that Order members declare themselves available for active duty with the Order or on reserve duty. Those on active duty are expected to ride immediately to their Captain and to serve with him, unless some pressing matter - such as defence of their Duchy - arise. Those on reserve duty will not be counted as members of the Company, but are free to ride with them or not as they please.

A member may chance their duty status at any time - we are a band of brothers, bound only by fellowship - but while on active duty should obey their Captain in operational matters. (OOC: move in his stack or under his direction).

The Captain is expected to be on active duty throughout the ten seasons. Should he have to depart the Company, he must resign his post immediately so that a replacement on active duty be found.

If we have sufficient numbers, I envisage rotating tours of duty so that a member is on active duty for ten seasons and then on reserve for the next ten. That way, we may actively serve both the Order and our Dukes. However, I would like to see the Company of knights on active duty at least four knights strong at all times.

I will maintain a log of each member's status (patron Dukes will not need to declare their status).

Simon and I have already declared we will be on active duty for the next ten seasons. By your candidatures for Captain, Gaetan and Gaspard, are you also declaring that you will be on active duty?
    Last edited by econ21; 08-06-2009 at 11:09.

I will be ready to ride with the Company as soon as the conseil session is concluded. I am sure mon Duc can spare me, for our Duchie is well protected.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Glad to have you aboard Gaspard!

Indeed, well met, Gaspard!

On another matter, I wonder if there are any nobles of France not yet in the Order we should approach to join us? I would welcome your thoughts on this in private (OOC: started membership drive thread in social group).

I will join the company and run for position of captain.
    As for the matter of Metz I wait for the Kings approval.
    Last edited by Marcus Agrippa; 08-06-2009 at 14:33.

Alexandre Le Sueur
    Chevalier of The Order of the Fleur de Lys
    Servant of France and Bretagne

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

de Gisors will support any of the efforts the Order of the Fleur de Lys finds worthy of supporting. However, just make sure de Gisors gets on the boat for the Holy Land when such a time arises.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yes, brother de Gisors - a crusade to the Holy Land would be an opportunity I would also find irresistable. But for now, do I take it that you wish to be on active duty?

If the first venture of the Order is to support Thomas's march on Metz, perhaps we should muster in Rheims rather than Paris?

"Brothers - I have come to the conclusion, based upon Metz's defenses, that I and one other can handle the whole of it's garrison. In this, yes, I shall ride with the Order, but I and Thomas shall take Metz, while you head north to Bruges, and together, with either the support of my Duc or the King, we shall take it. From their , we shall be vigilant and insure the sanctity of Rennes, and come swiftly to Duc Alain's help if it is needed."

"Is this plan acceptable to my fellow members?"

Brother Gaetan, your boldness is impressive but I do not believe your proposed course of action is wise. There are three hundred and three score rebels defending Metz and you propose to take it with a mere two score men? This is recklessness. Far better that your Duc bring his infantry and the entire Company of the Order move on the settlement in mutual support, to fight at more even odds. There is no need for your extreme proposed course of action. We are a military order and should fight strategically, not a band of berserkers. I do not wish to see any member of the Order fight in a way that unnecessarily endangers the life of his men. We will take risks when we must but should use every advantage when we can.

I suspect we may not reach a consensus on the exact course of action but I sense a general agreement that the first priority of the Company is to support the King's will and return Metz to the fold. Therefore, I suggest that Simon, I and whoever else wishes to be on active duty muster at Reims rather than Paris. It seems there is some urgency to the march on Metz, so starting out from Paris may render us irrelevant.

We now have four candidates to Captain the Order - Simon, Gaetan, Gaspard and Alexandre. I propose that whichever is elected be allowed to decide exactly how to deploy the Company against Metz and subsequently. In this, I would urge them to liase closely with the the King and the Dukes as lacking infantry, our Company will fare best when fighting in cooperation with their armies. When our Company maybe only four brother knights and their retinues, I am uneasy at dividing it as Gaetan proposes, but if he is elected our Captain, then I believe we should allow him the operational freedom to deploy the Company as he sees fit.

As a matter of routine, the deadline for nominations to Captain will be the same as that for the Seneschal and Order voting will be simultaneous with Council votes.

"I understand your concerns Brother Hermant, but it is not reckless at all, but rather an esteemed estimate of the overall strength of Metz. I could take it by myself, but run the risk of defeat, whereas with two men, I assure you, I cannot be defeated. The only threat is their mailed knights, and with swift action, I can crush them between two charges. The Town Militia and archers are of no true consequence, and once the knights guarding Metz are defeated and captured, they will fall easily and quickly."

"This I promise, this I can assure the entire Order. Thomas and I can handle Metz, there is no doubt of that at all."
    Last edited by ULC; 08-06-2009 at 21:05.

Alphonse la Hire enters

Greetings to all. I've recently heard of your splendid idea to form this company. While I do not wish to join at the moment I would like to give the Oath of Chivalry.

Drawing his sword and pointing it towards the ceiling he recites:

Now all hear this!
    I vow:
    To fear God and maintain His Church
    To serve my liege in valor and faith
    To protect the weak and defenseless
    To never attack an unarmed foe
    To speak truthfully at all times
    To never abandon a comrade
    To never refuse a challenge from an equal

Sheathing his sword again he takes a look around.

Don't you think it awkward that the preferred venue to give the oath is an inn? I'm sure a more... suitable place could be found here. And shouldn't a priest administer the oath, eh? Anyway, by your leave, I have other things to attend to. Au revoir.

Alphonse la Hire - Veteran of many battles seeking new employment

Vartholomaios Ksiros
    Grand Master of the Order of St. John
    Prince of Antioch and Protector of Levant

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Gentleman, I have accepted your invitation to join such an esteem group and will join the Order. for King and France!

Hermant embraces Robert, perhaps over-enthusiastically:

"Fantastic! You are most welcome. Now we are a round eight members. We are soon to seek an audience with the King to gain his endorsement - you will join us?

Please drink - make yourself at home.

Now, let me ask - do you wish to ride with the Company at the start or do you have other obligations you wish to attend to? I am keeping a register of those on active duty for the coming term of the Seneschal. For my part, I will ride with the Company for this term but next term am inclined to go on reserve duty and see if there is work for me in Burgundy. I think such rotations would suit vassals whose Dukes expect to see activity. Ha, listen to me talk - I talk too much. Only Thierry and myself appreciate it. Please make yourself at home"

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Robert gets himself some refeshment, smiling at the enthusiastic welcome.

I appreciate the offer to ride and feel that I maybe missing out on some action but I have important personal matters to complete. As I explained to my Duke it may be several seasons before I can full commit myself to the task at hand. I am sure you can understand.

When my business is finished I will see who needs my services the Duke or the Order and shall heed the call. For the time being I think I will return to Bretagne after I have had some time to socialize with my brothers and enjoy the excellent drink and food being offered.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am a man of my word, I didn't give my word to the Order on a whim, I shall go with any man I can muster, to enlighten the rebels for the greater glory of France. I am preparing my saddle as we speak.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast