Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Order of the Fleur de Lys

Default Re: The Order of the Fleur de Lys

Simon nods towards Alphonse la Hire.

I am honoured to have you take the Oath. We are but a small company for now. Once we grow I am sure more suitable lodgings can be found.

He then turns towards Robert Bouchart.

Welcome to the Order Brother Bouchart! I am glad to see...

Simon is interupted by a messenger that comes towards him. Simon seems to recognize the man and begins to frown. After a short hushed conversation the two men embrace curtly. Simon fumbles the letter that was given to him for a moment, staring off into space, before he finally opens and reads it. After a short contemplation he reads it once more, then again. Finally he looks up and turns to the other members of the Order.

The Lord have mercy! Grave times have befallen my family. My father passed away. It was... unexpected. I apologize to all of you. I.. I am the eldest son. It's not that simple though. I..

He looks flustered for a moment then visibly composes himself.

Brother Hermant. I regret to inform you that I will be on reserve duty for the upcoming season. I will also have to withdraw my candidacy for the position of Captain. I know this comes at a bad time, but I have to deal with this personally. Once I am finished I will return to you as fast as I can. I wish you all God's favour in the near future. Serve the King, serve France!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Hermant rushes into the Order headquarters:

Brothers! It appears our priorities are changed - the King has requested that we accompany him to Bruges! Surely we cannot refuse. Gaeten may wish to still ride with his Duke to Metz - and given my earlier offer to the Duke of Company support, I would encourage this - but I would that any other knight who can ride with the King.

I shall ride With the King to Burges.

Alexandre Le Sueur
    Chevalier of The Order of the Fleur de Lys
    Servant of France and Bretagne

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

As shall I, in the confidence my Duc and Thomas can easily handle Metz.

Excellent - I would much prefer to see our Company fight united and what better start than to ride out with our King!

We ride from Paris then?

Alexandre Le Sueur

Personally, I have made arrangements to begin the campaigning season at Reims. I think that will serve as well as Paris. Whoever is elected Captain can liase with the King so that our company makes a rendezvous with him outside Bruges.

OOC: I've already changed my starting settlement once with Zim and Reims is in reach of Bruges, so I won't change it again. Whoever is elected Captain is going to have to work closely with the leaders of the Kingdoms armies to set up battles etc. To be honest, if it were me, on the first turn, I would just let Tristan move our Company but it won't be my call.

OOC: Players on active duty will have to give the Captain of the Order permission to move their avatar in the orders thread. That's the idea of being on active duty - we move as a single stack, the Order Company.

OOC:

For simplicity, we can determine who is on active duty from the orders thread - if you say your avatar can be moved by the Captain, you are on active duty. To facilitate coordination - e.g. with the King over Bruges - allowing the Captain to move your avatar will also include giving him the power to delegate moving the Company to another player; e.g. he may authorise Tristan to move the stack to join the King's attack on Bruges.

From the OOC thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Econ: I was going to do it last week, but then my download ran out and it's going really slowly until tomorrow, when it starts another month. Sorry about that, but as I'm unlikely to be fighting a battle in the first turn or so, I should have everything installed before I'm required to access the save.
    To act as Captain (ie move the Company stack), you will need to have installed the mod.

When the Council closes, I will make a poll for Captain from those on active duty with the mod installed. So please could you let me know when you have installed the mod, Ignoramus. And together with YLC please post in the Orders thread that the Company captain is authorised to move your avatar. Thanks.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    OOC:I will do my best to have everything installed tomorrow.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

A letter arrives in the Order headquarters. It is displayed to see for all members.

Brothers of the Order!

I greet all of you. Word has reached me in the South of your recent success! I heard you fought valiantly alongside our King and helped to bring more land into his Demesne. I congratulate those of you on active duty for the outstanding job they have done for the King, France and the Order! Captain Gaeten de Rethel you have shown to be an outstanding leader.

I fear the things are still looking grim here. Inheritance can be a contested issue. My distant cousin a Italian Noble lays claim to half my fathers lands. I'm not prepared to part with one inch of it. I see how I can stop him short of open war. For now I have to remain here, for if I returned to you now things would soon turn very ugly indeed. I hope for your understanding. I have sworn to serve in the Order and do everything I can to make this happen. Hopefully I will be back before the next Council Session.

Your brother in arms,

Simon de Montpierre

It is good to hear from Simon, but it appears the die has been cast in his absence - we are at war with Germany. Any news from the front, brother Captain? I hope you can once again secure for our Company a position of honour at the King's side. While none of us have wished it, this war gives the Order a chance to prove its worth to the King and to France. We must serve as dutifully and honourably as we can.

[OOC: I have not been checking the save, so any info is appreciated.]

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Gaetan storms in, clearly frustrated. He goes to a shelf and pulls out a map, and several pieces representing the armies of the Empire and the Royaume, and lays them out so all can see.

"Forgive my mood - I have many things to attend to at the moment, and will begin speaking with our King as soon as possible regarding how best to handle the situation."

"As of right now, there are two large German armies, the largest of which is within 2-3 season's march of Bruges, and is commanded by a competent general no less. The smaller, but far from less threatening army is located near Metz, and is easily within a single Season's march of the Castle."

"As of right now, I have no men under my command except you brother knights, and then only Half of you may show up. We would be next to useless if we are sieged, and with the current Seneschal antagonizing the English, I do not feel comfortable taking men away from Bruges."

"I would have us harry the larger army - sap them on their march to Bruges or Paris as it may be, so when they arrive, the combined might of the Order and any defenders we are allotted will suffice in crushing them. The Royaume must come first, and I hope my Duc shall forgive me as he must fight them alone."

Gaetan slam's his fist into the table, causing the pieces to tumble, as he turns to head out the door.

"I have another matter to attend to - it seems that when it rains, it must also pour."

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

A message arrives from the Prince of France. It reads,

At a time of war a member of this Order has greviously and falsely insulted the crown Prince of France. In so doing he has violated the Oath of Chivalry, tenet Five, "To speak truthfully at all times." I have been called a thief, a butcher, a bully, and a coward. I say there is no truth to these words, and call Gaetan an oathbreaker for speaking them in public without proof or evidence. In particular no man may call me a coward, I have never in life turned my back on enemy unless he was dead.

What sort of men are there here, the type who will bandy words and shift meanings to justify a villain in your midst, or the kind who answer the dictates of honor directly? If you believe what Gaetan has said to be true you cannot complete your duty to this Order and should not pretend otherwise. If you acknowledge the falsity of his claims then I will leave his fate as a member to your sure justice.

Furthermore he has vowed never to swear fealty to me as King, even should God choose that I be so elevated. This would also violate his duty as a member of this Order. Not to mention that he stirs conflict against the royal house at a time when we are at war with a foreign power, a time when our very King has declaimed a traitor in our midst.

I am not a member of this Order, but I have sworn the oath and upheld it beyond reproach. I have come to respect the noble actions of many other members of this Order. I call on them now to do what is right before God and King, and to bring the oathbreaker to account for his false words.

Hermant picks up the Prince's letter and reads it, his mood growing sombre. Given that the Order are scattered, he commands that the letter be forwarded and invites members to consider their response in private.

[OOC: starting a thread on this in the social group for private discussion.]
    Last edited by econ21; 08-26-2009 at 01:47.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A letter arrives from Duc Raymond

By my reading, the fifth clause does not forbid knights from insulting each other. Regardling specific accusations such as thievery, which one can objectively prove or disprove, I would say that one cannot be called a liar if one actually believes what one says. However, making statements that cannot be proven true, and must be automatically assumed false for obvious reasons, is in my opinion a violation of the fifth clause of the oath, which I believe demands more than an absence of lies, but that knights should only make statements of fact that they can personally vouch for. In this regard, accepting Sir Christophe de Perronne's is the least one in Sir Gaeten de Rethels postion can do. I would also suggest adding another clause to the Oath of Chivalry, something along the lines of forbidding members

I hope Prince Louis is not offended by my speaking so generally, but as this issue is of great importance and will have a large impact on the future conduct of the Order, I believe it is best to tackle the issue neutrally, with regard to possible future incidents as well as this one.

Finally, I must take issue with the Prince's statement that any who agree with Sir Gaeten's words cannot fulfill their duty to the Order. This will be true once his highness the Dauphin becomes King, but not before. In fact, the Charter of the Order does not mention the title of Prince specifically.

Hermant reads his Duc's letter, but then puts it to one side and focuses on a shorter missive from Gaeten. With a sigh, he slowly rises and strikes Gaeten's name from the list of Order members.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

On hearing of the Duke's comments the Prince issues one brief further statement,

No man will in any way be upbraided for respectfully disagreeing with the Prince's interpretation of the oath. Each man swears the oath as he means it in his heart, but for the common good an agreed upon meaning must be found and upheld. As in all things, God will be the final arbiter.

Brother knights,

With the resignation of Gaeten de Rethel, the Company is leaderless. Are there any knights on active duty who wish to stand for the post of Captain? Standing now will prevent you standing next session, but with the war, we sorely need leadership.

As he has recently been active in the field, I propose Gaspard take the role of acting Captain until the post will be properly filled.

I will allow 24 hours for nominations and then organise one day of voting.

Yours in arms,

Hermant

I am willing to assume the role of Captain for the remainder the Seneschal's turn. I am deeply disappointed in Gaeten de Rethel's actions, and would strive to maintain the integrity of the Order.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

I would also be willing to stand for Order captain once more.

Alexandre Le Sueur

Brother Le Sueur, I will gladly put forward your name for the election. On other matters, Gaspard has called an emergency meeting in private, brother - your voice would be welcome there.

[OOC: please check the two new threads in the social group.]

Simon enters the Tavern room looking deligthed and relieved. He casts around him wonderingly as none of the Order can be seen. He rifles through the papers strewn on the desk. His expression grows somber has he reads the Princes letter and even more so as he reads the following responses. Cursing to himself he moves on to the private chambers.

As the deadline for nominations has expired and Brother Knight Le Sueur has informed me that he is withdrawing his candidacy, I announce that Gaspard de Neufville is elected nem con as the Captain of the Order for the remainder of this term.

Following an emergency meeting, the following change to the Order's charter has been agreed:

"On assuming the position, the Captain will immediately choose a Lieutenant as his second in command. The Lieutenant will assume the duties of the Captain if the Captain falls, resigns or is otherwise incapacitated."

I congratulate Gaspard and invite him to select a Lieutenant.
    Last edited by econ21; 08-27-2009 at 11:49.

I hereby choose Sieur Hermant Mauvoisin as mon Lieutenant. His organisational skills will be of great assistance in these troubled times.

A toast to Gaspard de Neufville and Hermant Mauvoisin! May the Order thrive under your leadership!

Brother knights, there is a matter I would discuss in private with you.

OOC: Please check the social group.

Brother knights - our petition to the King has born fruit. Let us consider a response.

OOC: Pls check the social group.

Brother knights - I think we are in agreement about our response to the King, but let us reconvene one more time. Also, we need to think about the implications for the management of the Order - I have made some proposals on this.

[OOC: New thread in social group.]

Brother knights, we have discussed the allocation of land to the Order in private but now - by the Grace of His Majesty - it has become a reality.

Currently our Charter states:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Charter
    Land and units given to the Order
    1. Members of the Order may freely possess their own lands and military units.
    2. However, if the King or other noble wishes to give land to the Order, only the Captain may formally own it but it will be regarded as Order land.
    3. The Captain must transfer ownership of any Order land when he leaves office.
    4. If the King or other noble wishes to give military units to the Order, only the Captain may formally own them but they will be regarded as Order units.
    5. The Captain must transfer ownership of Order units when he leaves office.
    Consequently, our Captain - Gaspard de Neuville - is the formal owner of Antwerp and as such eligible for election to Seneschal in the coming Conseil session; and to set it's build queue and unit prioritisations for the coming 10 seasons.

Following our discussions in private, I propose that when we elect a new Captain, we also approve the following revision of the Charter:

Quote Originally Posted by New Charter
    Land and units given to the Order
    1. Members of the Order may freely possess their own lands and military units; units under their personal command will not have their ownership transferred if stationed in Order lands or serving in the Order Company.
    2. Any land given to the Order will be formally owned by the Order Steward.
    3. Ownership of Order land can only be transferred when the Order Steward leaves office, when it must be passed to the next Steward.
    4. The Order Captain must appoint an Order Steward in the season of each regular Conseil session.
    5. Any units given to the Order, recruited from its settlements or assigned by the Seneschal to garrison its lands will be formally owned the Order Captain.
    6. Ownership of Order units can only be transferred when the Captain leaves offcie, when it must be passed to the next Captain.
    This revision implies that - at the end of his term - the next Order Captain will appoint a Steward who will govern Antwerp and be eligible to stand for the Seneschal in the subsequent Conseil session. If there are no objections to this revision, we will pass it nem con - otherwise, I will organise a poll requiring a 2/3 majority.

[OOC EDIT: I have revised the above so that a Steward is appointed in time to both run for Seneschal and to set build queues; that means appointment by a Captain at the end of his term, rather than the beginning. I have also written it to protect any personal units members have from having ownership inadvertently transferred and to make units garrisoning Antwerp owned by the Captain not the Steward.]
    Last edited by econ21; 09-08-2009 at 10:28.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast