Thread: Different Weapons

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Different Weapons

Is there anyway to you toy with the graphics system to produce different weapons graphics for certain units?

Be great for the unwashed rabble. :)
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: Different Weapons

From I remember, I don't think a unit can have multiple main weapons. It was a while since I read that though, so it might have changed since then.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

bah, ive asked this question too. Itd be cool to have a barbarian's (not Romaio) have all sorts of weapons. Axes, swords and spears. Unfortunatly, they cant get the animations to work for all of the weapons so it would look funny to have an overhand axe or a spear that you swing. Plus they are of different lethality.

So no, Sad, huh?

4x
    1x

I think it's possible for a unit to have different kinds of weapons, as long as the animation for both is the same (i.e. a spear and a sword wouldn't work, but different swords should work).
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    I think it's possible for a unit to have different kinds of weapons, as long as the animation for both is the same (i.e. a spear and a sword wouldn't work, but different swords should work).
    And what about those archer-spearmen dudes?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    And what about those archer-spearmen dudes?
    First and secondary weapons?

--> - Never near Argos - <--

hehehehe...
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    hehehehe...
    don't laugh or..
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Distille pas que du doute... Member Martelus Flavius's Avatar

Or?

You'll never give us your secret rollmops reciept? (Or whatever dish you want!) That would be sad, we wouldn't be able to organize complete EB apéros after that!

Regards

Titvs Eigenvertvs Martelvs

Cohors Reformata Mini Mod for EB 1.1

I would like to see different types of axes or sword + scythe + ax + dagger + hammer + club or something in the same unit :). You can't really do anything with spearmen since they iddn't have differently shaped weapon heads back then.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 07-31-2009 at 14:11.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    You can't really do anything with spearmen since they iddn't have differently shaped weapon heads back then.
    Yes they did.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Did they have any approaching the variety of multi-purpose weapon heads that was seen during the medieval period? I'm not aware that they did have multiple unique looking weapon tips. Maybe some various agricultural equipment attached to spears. If you can find enough examples for each faction, that would be wonderful for gameplay. Pantodapoi with all sorts of spear tips would be awesome.

Of course you would see many different ones across factions, but how many can you find for one faction that would look different enough to warrant different art?
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 07-31-2009 at 14:52.

Let's just say that there's a genuinely amazing number of forms in which the basic "leaf-shape" spearhead can be executed. I've seen thin ones, broad ones, lenticular ones, "spined" ones, "wasp-waisted" ones, triangular ones, rhomboid ones, virtually straight-sided ones... all from a period of mere few centuries. And then there's the javelin versions on top of that.
    And at least the Celts sometimes made their speareads wavy.
    Last edited by Watchman; 07-31-2009 at 20:09.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

That'd be pretty sweet to see in EBII though it would screw up anything with a secondary weapon. :)

I don't understand your last sentence.

We have different variants of the same weapon type within a single unit (ex: different swords, different spearheads, different spear lengths, etc) and no secondary weapon is screwed up.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

... Wait, MIITW can do different weapons? I was talking about using the Armor system to achieve that because I wasn't aware that you could do it with weapons as well. Good news all in all.

Regarding modeling, thanks mainly to KnightErrant, we have the tools to make everything we need. I can make them have hammers, axes, clubs, enemy heads and even flowers. There's no restriction on what you can do as long as you know how to model. Of course, the main problem is how to make them fit together. Because you can only use a single animation type per activeweapon, it won't look realistic to have soldiers with axes and others with spears in the same unit. But you can have (as an example) hammers, clubs and axes because they can use the same animation type.
    Last edited by JMRC; 08-02-2009 at 10:36.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

That's really neat, I don't think I've seen that funtion taken advantage of in anything. EBII will be pretty awesome.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    That's really neat, I don't think I've seen that funtion taken advantage of in anything. EBII will be pretty awesome.
    Wait, so it is being used for EBII then?

4x
    1x

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Who says you can't swing spears overhand?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Yeah, well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc82 View Post
    (he's about to stab the elephant in the butt...)

You could, but why would you ?

Lightbulb Re: Different Weapons

And those Officers and bearers (or whatever) They use swords even in phanlanx formation, lucky bastards...(refering to Eb1, dont know the situation in MTW2)
    The soldier who runs away, will RUN away another day...

broken crescent has 2h and 1h weapon models for the vangarian guard unit .

will be good to see many different weapon types in a unit. not sure if there is a maximum , but 3 or 4 seems to be the most number of weapon types per unit used in mods i have d/l.