Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Javelins

Default Re: Javelins

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    Why do you need an offensive and callous photo to make that assertion? Seems a b it glib to me.

I don't personally like having things like corpses and children in the act of killing someone else shoved in my face. Wrap it in spoiler quotes at least. Good taste would tell you not to post it all all.
    Well we are talking about a weapon used to kill people, often wielded by children. But I do understand your point.

And I wouldn't say javelins/pila would have a noticeable effect on morale (that is worth implementing into the game) since, after all, the men being hit by them would be prepared for combat in any case. The morale lowering effect of a comrade being hit by a javelin would be the same as a comrade being stabbed by an enemy infantryman.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

How long does green status last anyways?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Javelins IMO do need to be more from the front than they are right now, but their performance from the side is very, very impressive.

As for EB II...[CENSORED FOR SECRECY PURPOSES]...
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever Scortamareva View Post
    Well we are talking about a weapon used to kill people, often wielded by children. But I do understand your point.

And I wouldn't say javelins/pila would have a noticeable effect on morale (that is worth implementing into the game) since, after all, the men being hit by them would be prepared for combat in any case. The morale lowering effect of a comrade being hit by a javelin would be the same as a comrade being stabbed by an enemy infantryman.
    Okay, I'll get my catamite and eunuch photos ready.

Just because we're talking about them doesn't mean I want to see graphic modern-day analogues.

Please, tell me how a contemporary picture of an African child with a machine gun is relevant in any way to a historical discussion.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

He got rid of the picture. Let's move along.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Javelins

Quote Originally Posted by Horatius Flaccus View Post
    Am I the only one having trouble with socialmunky's post (with the picture)? I think it's neither funny nor respectfull.
    No, you are right. I should have removed it earlier since it is against the forum rules to use graphic depictions of violence. My apologies for the slow response.

Incidentally, if you do think an image or post disturbing, there is a report-button next to the user avatar that you can use to alert the staff.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Well despite the fact that I didn't particularly find it disturbing, it was against my better judgement so I will apologize to whomever was offended.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    How long does green status last anyways?
    Does anybody have an answer to this??
    Making the pila effect morale and defense is imo the best way it can be made in a historical accurate game.

Yeah, lowering the shield defence and the morale would be enough. But actually, the point of armor piercing is that the weapon packs more force. So it shouldn't be lowering half the armor value, but instead lower it by a constant ammount. That may need the whole calculation of the damage to be redone. Anyone knows how the defence against missiles is calculated?

Master of Hammer and Anvil. Member Julius Augustus's Avatar
    In the UP of Michigan, plotting ways to use hammer and anvil.

Yes, I do. Against missiles, only armor and shield ratings are taken into account. Armor is taken into account from all sides. Shield ratings are taken into account from the front and left side. From the front, shield ratings are doubled against missiles. So, a shield with 4 defense would be worth 8 from the front. That's why palanxes are so ridiculously impervious to arrows.
    The ranking of the Nations of the world.
    >>>All the rest.

"Your turning violet, Violet!"
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Phalanx mode also gives phalanxes some sort of mystery bonus.

Here's a question, since shields do not count towards AP, are weapons like Pilum and other AP javelins effectively depicted in EB? It should negate the shield effect or atleast be more damaging to show how it could disable shields.

I remember reading that there was a flaw in M2TW shields, being that they protect from the front, left and right (yes, from the side without shield). I haven´t tested it fully but i suspect it might be true, i read it some time ago on a thread about TATW. Of course i hope it is not true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Augustus View Post
    From the front, shield ratings are doubled against missiles.
    Only from the front? In R:TW shield value simply counted double against missiles (but was not effective from the right side and rear, obviously).

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    No, you are right. I should have removed it earlier since it is against the forum rules to use graphic depictions of violence. My apologies for the slow response.

Incidentally, if you do think an image or post disturbing, there is a report-button next to the user avatar that you can use to alert the staff.
    Okay, so we can't post any screenshots of our battles anymore
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Only from the front? In R:TW shield value simply counted double against missiles (but was not effective from the right side and rear, obviously).
    What do you think about Pilum which are supposed to disable shields then since AP isn't applied to shields? AFAIK.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Okay, so we can't post any screenshots of our battles anymore
    Graphic depictions of virtual violence are mostly OK. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    What do you think about Pilum which are supposed to disable shields then since AP isn't applied to shields? AFAIK.
    AP is not applied to shield in R:TW, and AFAIK this has not change in M2:TW. I don't think there is a satisfactory solution to that.

Oh well, if we use the bee status for showing shock/disabled equipment(it makes you fight worse I think) it would probaby be more adequate.

Blog Entries

I altered the Javelline Cavallery for Eb1 a little bit, why dont you try it sometimes.
    Its in the mod section. New unit balance.

I've read that some Germanics used barbed javelins, since MED2 allows weapon differences does that also means javelins will also be different?

Also offtopic for a bit, but I've read on the Haiwaiian warriors and was suprised they used pikemen as well(yes pikemen) and focused on javelins for a big part. Always interesting to know about these warriors from the other side of the world, never know what to expect.
    Last edited by Phalanx300; 09-04-2009 at 15:12.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123