Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Conseil du Royaume

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: Conseil du Royaume

The men of House Aquitaine file into the room one after the other and take their customary places, followed by the three members of Louis' retinue who are dressed as royal guards. The hulking Danish berserker who has been following him through his Moorish campaign looks particularly absurd in the stylish blue uniform, but the dense beard and wild look in his eyes prevents open mockery.

King Louis the VI of France then enters the chamber dressed from head to toe in somber black colors and wearing his father's sword at his side. He scans the nobles carefully as he makes his way to the front of the Council. Before speaking Louis crosses himself and lowers his eyes,

"Lords of France I am here today to attempt the impossible, to take up the mantle of King Phillipe the Lion, who restored our great Royaume to the borders of it's height and far beyond! Let us toast his memory, hail his victories, and commit his soul and his memory to the heavens!"

A steward has brought Louis a drink, which he drains entirely. In that moment he is the very picture of health, robust and full of life, his features virtually unmarred by his many campaigns. He paces the floor in a tight, controlled pattern precisely eight steps in each direction, the long hilted sword of his father swinging at his side. There is a glow of passion and desire in his eyes as he continues with his speech,

"I have been blessed by God to follow a mighty man's reign, but by God I mean to equal it if I can. I call on every man here to promise me his utmost effort to that end! Give me your trust, your lives, and your love and together we shall create such a nation, such a France, that we shake the heavens in their foundation and roll our names down the scroll of history as heroes unmatched!

I have requests to make of you all by House. Let me begin with House Aquitaine, I intend to remain with it's members until the Moorish threat has been dealth with, and then I will return to Paris. I pass the Duchal seat to Sir de Xaintrailles (OOC: This would have been de Perrone, who was my second in command, but TC's withdrawal appears to be sticking so far and GH will hopefully come back with some rage for the Moors). Aquitaine will be tasked with retaking the crossing at Gibralatar and creating fortifications there to bar any future Moorish expeditions.

For House Bretagne I will be asking that you mount a naval expedition with the intent of punishing the Danes for their raids against our English holdings. Resources will be made available to you for this purpose, including troops and sufficient ships.

For House Bourgogne I ask that you place fortifications in the passes around Bern to secure our flank against German incursions, at your discretion. Though Mon Pere secured peace with the Reich I do not trust it, not for a moment, and if we must fight we will do it in their lands rather than our own!

For the serving members of the Order I call you and your soldiers to my side, barring your Duchal commitments. Let us arrange to meet at Toulouse as soon as possible. We shall have a mighty purpose together! I look forward to our campaigns!

For House Lorraine I ask that you study the land around Frankfurt and submit to me a plan for it's defense as it currently stands isolated, but also quite important. Fortifications may prove insufficient, but there is consider defense terrain in the region. I want specific troop requests and a plan for how you would position your armies against a renewed German attack.

For the minor Houses (Charles?) and unaligned nobles (Selvo?) I will likely be requesting that you join me and the Order on our quest once I have properly prepared and announced it. I instruct that you settle your affairs at home and make ready for a journey. There is ample time, it will be several seasons before I am ready, but begin your preparations.

Now, one final matter, I announce that I am running for Seneschal to complete my father's term. I request that no one oppose me for this term so that my reign may begin with universal acclaim. There will be no proposal of new law at this time, but I will allow some time (OOC: I'm presuming the authority in Zim's absence, feel free to debate the matter OOC and IC, so let's say at least 48 hours) if there is a man here who wishes to oppose his new King.

Are there questions? Concerns? Make them known! God and your King have great plans for this realm, let us have done with debate and move along with them!

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not against your running for Seneschal since I think you are the best man for the job.. currently..
    However, I do want to propose a Charter amendment that creates a new duchy led by me.
    If you are not against it of course?

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Indeed, I would follow you to the ends of the earth My King. You are no doubt the best man for the job at this time.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

Henri and his retainers bow to the King

My King, brother, I welcome thee and am heartened by your announcements. Indeed, if you had not done so I would have proposed to the Conseil that you took up the duties of Seneschal for at least the remainder of the term.

Myself and my house freely pledge to follow you to whatever ends and to the betterment of France.

I will consult with my map-makers and sent details of what Lorraine proposes for the defence of Frankfurt. North and South it is bordered by great rivers so the defence may yet be possible with fortifications…but I will enquire.

As to your pledge for a “quest”…I sincerely hope you are commenting on what I have wished for some time now. I can assure you the Order stands ready, we are electing a new Captain as we speak so that I can be released to better serve Lorraine and the Realm yet allow the Order to proceed with you.

I like Charles have but one request…but it is not for myself. It is for The Order, I had hoped to put forth a proposal for an Edict or even a Codex Addition for this but I will ask this directly now…I ask, that The Order of the Fleur de Lys be granted ONE full company of fighting men from each Duchy per Seneschal term. Such troops would be at the direct control of the Order and allow them complete autonomy and the ability to serve King and country without requesting further aid.

Apart from this, I pledge my sword, my heart and my honour to King Louis the VI.

Henri draws his sword, raises the blade to his face and kisses the flat of the blade just above the guard. He then holds the sword in both arms ahead of him…walking to the King..and places it at his feet before rising and retiring to his retainers again
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

King Louis, as with your father before the Order will follow where you lead. Under our new Captain those not needed by their Duchies will ride towards Toulouse with all haste.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

My Lords and King,

I have reviewed the Duchy of Lorraine and find that we require more professional troops. Full disclosure has been sent to the King this morning, however the outline is thus.

If more professional troops are supplied we can relinquish our militia-men and allow them to return to tilling the fields or law and order duties with our cities.

Some true French mercenaries have reported to me and I have recommended their employment ((OOC: Frankish Knights – Foot and Horse)), for they are dispossessed and landless Knights of France.

A fort can be built do defend the crossing South East of Frankfurt also.

I will suggest further that two of the companies that may be released in this move can be handed to the Order of the Fleur De Lys to take with them on their journey.
    Last edited by Braden; 11-27-2009 at 10:33.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Louis is busily engaged with numerous scribes and messengers coming and going, but he pauses a moment to address the various concerns raised in the chamber,

I have no opposition to the proposal of a Charter amendment creating a new House at the next normal Council session, which is not so far distant. At this time, however, I do not intend there to be any new proposal of law. I am not assuming a full term as Senschal, only completing the term my father began some years ago. New law will be duly considered after that term at the next normal Council session, and unless circumstances change both of these matters shall have my personal support.

(OOC: It isn't obvious how many turns remain since there was no election this period, does anyone know offhand? I can research it further later)

I am concerned over the extensive use of mercenaries in France, but I will consider your request brother. Perhaps if the training facilities of other Houses are combined we can make up a body of men sufficient to your purpose. To be perfectly blunt as King I mean to reorganize the armies of all the Houses into a more efficient force for national action. France is whole and hale, and it is time that we take up a greater purpose in the world!

(OOC: Unless someone else wants to contest the position tomorrow at around this time I'm going to put up a 'last chance to protest' post and give it 24 hours (It is a holiday in the US, I want to be fair), then Louis will assume the Seneschal's powers and take the save to move the game foward. That's ~10 am eastern US time on Sunday to get the save going.)

My King and Conseil,

Firstly I thank the King for his consideration of my request. I have, I must admit, welcomed the Mercenaries who have presented themselves to me mainly as they are, for a change, French ((OOC: Franks…this is KotF’s after all)) but I appreciate the issues at hand.

The crux of the matter is that the Duchy is willing to return her Militia troops to their previous positions as citizens in exchange for better trained troops…we would rather this was as swiftly as possible and as training for such troops is a good few seasons away from Frankfurt I felt the Frankish Knights the best option at the moment to help secure the East.

I leave that to my King to finally decide and dictate to me what he will have me do. I am at his disposal.

However, my Lords and King… I have an announcement to make.

Henri checks with a scribe who looks to another and receives a nod he passes on to Henri

…as of this Moment I am no longer Captain of the Order of the Fleur de Lys. That honour is now taken by Alexandre Le Sueur. May God guide him in his leadership.

My King, the Order of the Fleur de Lys is now fully ready for your instructions.

As to the matter of Laws, I agree fully. Now is not such a time but at least the Conseil is now aware of what is to be presented.
    Last edited by Braden; 11-27-2009 at 16:38.

Hearing no dissent Louis symbolically raises a copy of the charter to his lips and kisses it on his assumption to the position of Seneschal.

I am grateful for this vote of confidence mes ami. Please update your official orders and requests as necessary with my office. France has lost her Lion, but she still will hunt her enemies and feed on their flesh!

Henri rises to address the Conseil

My Lords, my King and Seneschal,

At the Seneschals request I have reviewed Mercenary forces under the control of the Duchy of Lorraine, there are a good few in number but they fulfil roles that the Duchy cannot at this time replace in the main.

There is one company of spearmen that can be released who are currently under the command of my Vassal, André des Vaux, and one small group within the walls of Frankfurt which can also be released. However the greater numbers are of Crossbow companies, which the Duchy cannot replace at this time like-for-like.

If the Seneschal can locate and distribute like-for-like replacements for these troops the Duchy will be more than happy to release all of them as this will not effect our defences.

I ask that the Seneschal approves at least a company of spears to be raised in Metz as well as several companies of archers, if this is approved, I pledge that the Duchy will release the mercenary companies of spears and we will replace some crossbow companies with archers but we cannot replace them all as they server different purposes.

All this will be done next season should this be possible.

I am also concerned that there is a lack of cavalry in the Duchy and that only Metz can train light cavalry. This will be addressed in time I am sure however, and the Duchy will do what it can with the resources it has for now.

The Duchy has also commissioned and erected a fort South East of Frankfurt to defend the bridge over the Main river.

I have personally sent a request to my brother Villain that he refuse this latest request for family adoption, I feel, as the King does I am sure, that too many knights are seeking such a route to power now but the ultimate option to do so is fully in his hands and I ask the King to understand this should my brother accept it.

I have updated my orders instructions accordingly and have placed a request for a priest to be trained in Frankfurt this coming season as this was not effected in the previous term. A leather tanner is also requested for the end period of this term if possible for Frankfurt.

That is all,

Henri returns to his seat

((OOC: Some OOC stuff I’ll bring to the OOC thread also))

Henri stands to address the Conseil

My Lords and King,

In accordance to the wishes of the King and indeed, myself, I have instructed my brother Villain to reject this latest approach. We all grow bored with these attempts at self aggrandisement by these Knights. Perhaps Villain should duel them…that might dissuade any future, surviving, ones?

I have also requested that Count André des Vaux of Reims address the expansion of his city to the King directly.

Congratulations are in order for Pope Etienne; our new Pope and spiritual leader! I am certain we will all drink to his long health at the coming Winter Festival in our halls. It is a shame that worldly vices such as pride afflict our Catholic neighbours to such an extent that the Sicilians attack the Papacy army…likewise I am concerned that the Polish nation also feel aggrieved and with Lorraine bordering their nation I will move the Duchy forces accordingly to the border to monitor the situation.

I offer the services of the Duchy of Lorraine to help the King conduct his operations against the Danes if it is needed, to the extent that I would be willing to lead such an expedition should the House of Bretagne be unable to for whichever reason.

As to the issue of the Sicilians, I am sure this will interest my Brother Charles…perhaps he could lead an expedition to rout their forces and bring them into the Papacy fold once more should diplomatic means prove unsuccessful?

Henri bows to the Conseil and returns to his seat

A French Pope! It seems our efforts for the faith have been recognized by the Holy Sea. Now there's little standing in the way of further religious progress!

Simon smiles confidently.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Good enough news, although some strange happenings in Spain. The Russians seem to have a fleet sitting near by our coast, but for what reason I can not fathom. And a huge army of Spanish troops have entered Pamplona, once again for no discernible reason. Coincidence? almost 100% likely. But hey, good to be prepared.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 12-10-2009 at 12:09.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Indeed, my own reports show this Russian fleet and not one but TWO large Spanish armies either in or mere miles from Pamplona.

However, my contacts advise me that we are still held in high regard by both the Russian and Spanish courts so it is unclear of their purpose. I am sure though that our King is well prepared should their intent not be to our "liking"...

My King as a noble of Bretagne I shall lead the force against The Danes if there is no objection from Duc Alain.
    Also should a crusade to the holy lands be on the cards our time has come to build up with a french pope in Rome.

Alexandre Le Sueur
    Chevalier of The Order of the Fleur de Lys
    Servant of France and Bretagne

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132