Thread: 1.3, CA tell me, is this not something really stupid! (AI not kicking out port raids)

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default 1.3, CA tell me, is this not something really stupid! (AI not kicking out port raids)

It has been suggest by various CA representatives that "AI not kicking out port raiders" has been fixed in 1.3.

Well, what do you call the situation depicted in the attachment!? I am playing as the United Provinces, while the British are my trade partners and allies. A Hannoverian sloop has been sitting in the British main trade harbor for 5 YEARS!.... (10 turns). Notice THREE(!!) British stacks camping out right next to the port. Any reaction from those? Nope... They're too busy drinking tea and building field defenses near the channel.

In 1.3, the only time the AI DOES kick out a port raiding fleet is if that fleet belongs to the player...
    So, hey, CA, fix this please. Or, if it's impossible to fix (I'd like to hear why), give us the option to be able to kick raiders out of our allies ports.

On the same token, I'd like to see the average IQ of the team that did the coding for diplomacy. Spain declares war on me; I defeat Spain in a couple battles and sue for peace; Spain agrees; fine... A turn later, Spain declares war on my protectorate; I defend my protectorate and get -25 (or so) relationship hit for "dishonoring treaties" (I guess, the peace treaty with Spain); the onion - I get the hit also in my relationship with my protectorate whom I am defending; Spain gets defeated in a few battles (on the same turn) and agrees to peace; fine; a turn later, Spain declares war on my ally (and long time ally) Austria; I side with my ally; and... get an extra relationship hit for "dishonoring treaties", worth about -50 points... the onion: I get the same hit in my relationship with the ally I defended.

If you ask me, it seems, the developer team (that dealt with the diplomacy triggers) has no clue that 2 + 2 = 4...

Nah, until this stupidity gets fixed, no more ETW for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire 2009-08-15 20-16-01-44.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	208  
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-17-2009 at 16:51.

Default Re: 1.3, CA tell me, is this not something really stupid! (AI not kicking out port ra

I have much the same issue, I have the barbary pirates blockading my trade route with GB and the ottomans as the Swiss,and my allies refuse to engage the enemy fleet of mostly brigs and sloops,to remove them,even though they are wrecking both out incomes,instead I have to do everything..

Member Member Hermann the Lombard's Avatar

Default Re: 1.3, CA tell me, is this not something really stupid! (AI not kicking out port ra

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    A Hannoverian sloop has been sitting in the British main trade harbor for 5 YEARS!.... (10 turns). Notice THREE(!!) British stacks camping out right next to the port. Any reaction from those? Nope... They're too busy drinking tea and building field defenses near the channel.
    As Russia I had the same problem, only it was a pair of French ships sitting in Greenwich for over ten years, blockading my trade with GB. Eventually a small army *did* march out and evict the French, at which point two British ships sailed up and sank them. I have no idea what finally triggered British action.
    I have a mind like a steel sieve.

There's also a related problem. For the sake of this example, here are the players:

GB = You
    France = Your ally
    Spain = Enemy of you and France

If Spain has a ship in one of France's ports, and you have an army in France, you can't kick the fleet out of the port for France. If you try to, the game thinks you're actually attacking the French port, and thus your French ally.
    Fac et Spera

The solution, and probably the intention, is to declare war on everyone and just conquer the world...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

it would also be nice if the AI decided at least once in a blue moon that it might be a good idea to trade with other nations besides the player, if the player graciously proffered a trade agreement to the nation and they accepted, it would be really nice to maybe see a bit of trade being done between nations and one of them not being the player. Please note however if you have a rare example of two ai nations trading out of 20 in the game (or however many there are) that does not contradict this statement
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Quote Originally Posted by Durallan View Post
    it would also be nice if the AI decided at least once in a blue moon that it might be a good idea to trade with other nations besides the player, if the player graciously proffered a trade agreement to the nation and they accepted, it would be really nice to maybe see a bit of trade being done between nations and one of them not being the player. Please note however if you have a rare example of two ai nations trading out of 20 in the game (or however many there are) that does not contradict this statement
    The way it stands now, the AI is showered with cash by the game engine, at least on VH and H game difficulties. So, trading (and building economy) is not essential for the AI (similar to how it was in MTW 1).
    Last edited by Slaists; 08-16-2009 at 15:34.

ah ok, I haven't played Empire total war in a bit, waiting for this so called super patch thats meant to fix the AI

I normally play on normal, while I realise that it would remove the challenge but the harder difficulties only really slow you down in winning and then the AI isn't made any smarter, just more player hating
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

The only solution I have found to port raiders in an allied port is to place a fleet just outside their intercept range and send in a single sloop. They bite almost every time.

The AI does actually kick them out of their ports, it is just if you have a trade agreement with them because of the player hating aspects they don't get around to it for 20 or 25 years...

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    The only solution I have found to port raiders in an allied port is to place a fleet just outside their intercept range and send in a single sloop. They bite almost every time.

The AI does actually kick them out of their ports, it is just if you have a trade agreement with them because of the player hating aspects they don't get around to it for 20 or 25 years...
    Will have to try this (in 1.4). I'd be surprised though if in the case depicted in the attachment the sloop sitting in the harbor would bite on another sloop...

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Will have to try this (in 1.4). I'd be surprised though if in the case depicted in the attachment the sloop sitting in the harbor would bite on another sloop...
    If they have a brig it will work but you may have to send the sloop alone. But a sloop will always beat a brig anyway.

If there are two ships be cautious. They like to use a brig and a 2nd rate.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    But a sloop will always beat a brig anyway.
    I've never had that problem. The sloop being rigged fore-and-aft means if you get your brig into a good raking position with the sloop's sails at full and give them a nice big load of chain, they won't be going anywhere...and if they can't move that fast, you can pound them into a hulk.

If I may paraphrase Liam Devlin, 'Footwork, timing and hitting - the holy trinity. Remember these and ye shall inherit the earth as surely as the meek..."

Cheers,
    Dreadnought2