Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2010

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Default Re: Football Manager 2010

I've been trying the demo of this game and I quite liked how the media reacted to me being a female manager; my first press conference included several questions about women's football and how I can impart my wisdom onto a team of men, really impressive stuff and glad to see that the developers considered female gamers in a market that might not necessarily attract them.

I confess that I'm not amazingly good thus far; I am playing as Manchester United, and I don't think my tactical knowledge of the beautiful game is actually that good... I'm often relying on Phelan to poke me in the right direction and then making decisions myself based on what he's said. I've played all my opening season friendlies thus far and won them all by 3+ goals, but that's not difficult when I'm playing Falkirk and Bury, right?

My first test is going to be Chelsea in the Community Shield, not sure how I'm going to cope when I'm missing Vidic and van der Sar through injury. Any tips for beating them?

Also, I'm having three major problems at the moment; renewing contracts is the first. Danny Welbeck wants to go from £450 a week to £6000+... I don't need to know massive amounts about the monetary side of the game to know that's a bit of a steep step up... not really certain if he's worth that, trying to cut his wage demands down considering his age and ability at the moment.

Secondly, Nani seems to hate me and I don't really know why. Every match thus far, Phelan has told me Nani is struggling to settle into a playing mentality due to personal problems with me. What's his problem? :S

And thirdly, transfers; my coaches poked me (quite forcefully, the meanies) into purchasing an LM or LW-type player. I've placed bids for Theo Walcott and David Silva, and yet both their clubs have outright declined. I've tried offering various clauses such as buy-backs, sell-ons, extra cash installments, adding players they have their eye on (Valencia were keen on Anderson, for example), increasing the fee to way, way more than the player is worth... and nothing. Is that because of my managerial experience or some other factors? :<
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Corner exploit?
    That's correct! Coupled with a very good tactic and a good team, and you get things like this.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The two goals by Seleznyov were the only ones not born of the corner thingie. Corner or not, my team completely dominated Milan.
    BLARGH!

Okay, I just beat Chelsea in the Community Shield, very close game.

I had an early Berbatov goal disallowed for offside and Anelka cancelled out Rooney's opener, went right to penalties. Scored all five of mine, and was thinking that Foster wasn't going to have a chance of saving any of theirs... but he managed to keep Bosingwa's effort out and I won 4-5. xD

Still hoping for some help with my ongoing problems described in my previous post though. :3
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    Also, I'm having three major problems at the moment; renewing contracts is the first. Danny Welbeck wants to go from £450 a week to £6000+... I don't need to know massive amounts about the monetary side of the game to know that's a bit of a steep step up... not really certain if he's worth that, trying to cut his wage demands down considering his age and ability at the moment.

Secondly, Nani seems to hate me and I don't really know why. Every match thus far, Phelan has told me Nani is struggling to settle into a playing mentality due to personal problems with me. What's his problem? :S

And thirdly, transfers; my coaches poked me (quite forcefully, the meanies) into purchasing an LM or LW-type player. I've placed bids for Theo Walcott and David Silva, and yet both their clubs have outright declined. I've tried offering various clauses such as buy-backs, sell-ons, extra cash installments, adding players they have their eye on (Valencia were keen on Anderson, for example), increasing the fee to way, way more than the player is worth... and nothing. Is that because of my managerial experience or some other factors? :<
    Firstly the Welbeck wage increase isn't that much. The kid has a lot of potential and 6k a week isn't too much at a club like ManU. Nani's problem is propably your experience. With time his attitude should improve or you can just sell him. As to transfers I'd suggest you look elsewhere. There are other left wingers out there who are actually available. Franck Ribery, Ashley Young, Juan Manuel Vargas, Juan Manuel Mata, Luka Modric, Mezut Özil, Juan Angel Albin, Sebastian Giovinco are all good options But that said I don't think the left wing is a place you'd need to strengthen immediately as Tosic and Nani should work fine for now. More critical are the positions of goalkeeper and right back as both Neville and Van Der Sar are aging fast and there really isn't a world class replacement ready at the club.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For some reason, I am so tempted to create a "Org" football team and add people from the Org onto it. TosaInu would be the manager, then other various members in different roles.

The editor seems easy enough to use, and for what level we want to place ourselves at, we could use another team as a template.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-26-2010 at 11:43.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Go for it. I'd be interested to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck View Post
    Firstly the Welbeck wage increase isn't that much. The kid has a lot of potential and 6k a week isn't too much at a club like ManU.
    He accepted a new contract finally, worth £1,000,000 over the four years, at last. He also accepted to recieving tutelage from Berba, which is good. :3

There are other left wingers out there who are actually available. Franck Ribery, Ashley Young, Juan Manuel Vargas, Juan Manuel Mata, Luka Modric, Mezut Özil, Juan Angel Albin, Sebastian Giovinco are all good options
    Well, my assistant coach states that the left wing/midfield position is a problem area; Nani is good when he's not being a petulent little urchin, but Tosic isn't first team capability just yet. The only bid I've had accepted for a player so far is Fulham's Smalling, but the first team coach basically started saying "cancel the bid, he's not good enough for the team". ¬_¬

More critical are the positions of goalkeeper and right back as both Neville and Van Der Sar are aging fast and there really isn't a world class replacement ready at the club.
    Well, Rafael is injured at the moment, waiting for him to come back as a long-term replacement to Neville. As for the goalkeeper, you're definitely right; Kuschazk and Foster aren't really holding their own agains the better teams I've played. I'll need a replacement that will not only be purchasable, but will last a few seasons too.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Well, my assistant coach states that the left wing/midfield position is a problem area; Nani is good when he's not being a petulent little urchin, but Tosic isn't first team capability just yet. The only bid I've had accepted for a player so far is Fulham's Smalling, but the first team coach basically started saying "cancel the bid, he's not good enough for the team".
    Ignore your staff.

Ignore your staff.
    Why? They're my crutch! xD

Blog Entries

Psychonaut, how do you have the real manchester utd. badge, etc? Is there some mods you are using?
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Well, my assistant coach states that the left wing/midfield position is a problem area; Nani is good when he's not being a petulent little urchin, but Tosic isn't first team capability just yet. The only bid I've had accepted for a player so far is Fulham's Smalling, but the first team coach basically started saying "cancel the bid, he's not good enough for the team". ¬_¬
    Just play Tosic there. After half a season he'll be decent. And after a full season he'll be excellent, his potential is good. And his stats are more team friendly than Nani's. You may feel adverse to thrusting a youngster there, but it's the best option. And on the left wing he can't really harm you if he has a poor game.

Edit - Yeah. Smalling is rubbish in FM2010, probably only good enough for a League 1 side.

Well, Rafael is injured at the moment, waiting for him to come back as a long-term replacement to Neville. As for the goalkeeper, you're definitely right; Kuschazk and Foster aren't really holding their own agains the better teams I've played. I'll need a replacement that will not only be purchasable, but will last a few seasons too.
    Keeper again, with the youngsters it is more critical as when they have a poor game it effects you badly. Possibly best to send one of the two on loan and get someone reliable and consistent. Foster is about as good as anyone out there though. So you may be best toughing it out while he learns and take the point hit. Because you only have the demo I can't really recommend anyone, (like Guillermo Ochoa).

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Psychonaut, how do you have the real manchester utd. badge, etc? Is there some mods you are using?
    I use this. Patch. I also use the facepack, which has 50,000+ profile images.
    Last edited by naut; 03-27-2010 at 02:00.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Why? They're my crutch! xD
    Decide how you want to play, and the type of players who will fit into your system and stick with it. Listening to your coaches will only lead to random changes to your team make up. Basically I only ever listen to my staff when they recommend me young players or staff (I play "LLM rules" which means no using search function, makes finding players and staff in my normal Conference North/South games fun).

Blog Entries

I am having trouble with the Editor, which is really bugging me.

To make the task far more simple of creating a TWOrg team, I noticed there is a duplicate function in the editor. So for pure example, I duplicate Wayne Rooney, then edit that duplicate into "John Hughthom" who is from N.ireland, remove the Man U contract, and the obvious small changes then save this edit.

Then start a new game, loading the database along side the edit, and in game, Man Utd has two Wayne Rooneys, and there is no John Hughthom.

However, if I make a player from stratch it works, except making one from scratch lengthens the creation time by a factor of 10.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-27-2010 at 22:17.

Apparently this: http://www.fmrte.com/ is better for your purposes than the official editor. I haven't tried it so if your comp blows up not my fault.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Is this better than fifa
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Different games, really. So it's down to what you're looking for from a football game.

In FM, you play the role of the manager. You take control of a team: picking the match squad and setting the tactics. Once they're out on the pitch, there's not a lot you can do. You can still adjust the tactics, but you have no direct control of the players like you would on FIFA. There's a load of other responsibilities (transfers, finances to an extent) as well.

I can answer more of your questions but I hope this makes the difference clear

Blog Entries

Apparently this: http://www.fmrte.com/ is better for your purposes than the official editor. I haven't tried it so if your comp blows up not my fault.
    Totally the opposite. That is a real time editor, not a database editor. :p

As for the editor problem, I'd probably just make it all individually. I've never made clubs before, just added free agents so I'm not sure how that aspect would work. Plus there's the issue of fitting them into a league. Or creating a new league.

You'd probably be better off registering on a proper FM forum and posing these questions.

Blog Entries

I was thinking of a TW-Org online FM2010 game, then I realise that it wouldn't work at all if less active ones do not want to holiday mode as it were. Thing about FM2010 is that it can really eat up time, and I remember doing a network game with some one who played through all the friendlies on slow... it was like 5 hours just to get out of July because of it.

Getting Assisstant Manager to do friendies is a must.

a network game with some one who played through all the friendlies on slow... it was like 5 hours just to get out of July because of it.
    He refers to me. xD

What he means is you were playing properly Secura, I usually spend a whole day or two on pre season.

Well, Beskar and I are currently playing through a networked game, started it around 2200 GMT on Saturday and played right through to 1200 GMT the next day! I like to watch the matches play out and tweak accordingly, while Beskie seems to speed things up and let the team do it's own thing for the most part.

He is playing as Blackpool, seems to have made some good signings (and offloaded about half the squad in the process) and is consistently scoring alot of goals. He's currently second in the Championship, one point behind first.

I'm playing as West Bromich Albion, and have relied more on loans so far; I managed to convince Federico Macheda and Javier Garrido to take a loan spell to the end of the season, and they're both playing amazingly, which is good... really glad United and City let me have 'em. My signings are a bit more reserved though, mostly snapping up youth players or people out of contract.

I'm currently first in the league, staying a point ahead of Beskie. I feel thus far that things might end up going down to goal difference or something, though it's true that we've only played about eight or nine league games so far, it just seems like neither of us are losing at the moment.

We're both into the fourth round of the Carling Cup, which is good, although it's likely to end there for us both; Beskie is drawn against Spurs, I'm playing Chelsea. Just have to hope they field a subpar side like Fulham did in the previous round (beat 'em 5-0 xD).

It seems as though I have a more realistic game, for the most part; my team is getting the results I expect each and everytime; I beat Newcastle by a single goal, I drew against Middlesborough. Whereas Beskie seems to be thumping every team regardless of who they are, which is impressive if unrealistic.

Having said that, I played Sheffield United and they fielded an entirely exhausted squad... beat them 0-14. Four goals each from Miller and Macheda. xD
    Last edited by Secura; 03-28-2010 at 19:10.

Methinks Naughty Beskie has researched the corner exploit...

Having said that, I played Sheffield United and they fielded an entirely exhausted squad... beat them 0-14. Four goals each from Miller and Macheda. xD

I've been playing CM/FM for nearly twenty years and never had a scoreline like that, even in a friendly.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 03-28-2010 at 19:47.

Methinks Naughty Beskie has researched the corner exploit...
    EDIT: Nevermind, I checked this out on Google... bit of a cheap tactic, really.

I've been playing CM/FM for nearly twenty years and never had a scoreline like that, even in a friendly.
    Against Sheffield United too! I expected a close-run game, probably a draw, because they're pushing for promotion just like I am. For some reason, their entire midfield had a condition rating of 35% or less, they were all exhausted, simply tore them apart. A fantastic three points and it's given me a massive amount of breathing room in terms of goal difference; before that game, Beskar's goal difference was the highest in the league by quite a distance.
    Last edited by Secura; 03-28-2010 at 20:03.

For some reason, their entire midfield had a condition rating of 35% or less, they were all exhausted, simply tore them apart.
    ???? Never had that happen, you still playing the demo version?

The closest I came to a situation like that was as Cork City I had a game coming up against Derry City and their entire team had stamina in the 60s due to fixture congestion, I was battling them for the league so I was rubbing my hands with glee as the match approached. Day of the match news message "The fixture between Derry City and Cork City has been cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch." Sneaky s! Then the match was rescheduled right in the middle of a tough run of games for me after they had a free weekend. Still beat them and won the league though.

Totally the opposite. That is a real time editor, not a database editor. :p
    Well that's the last time I put any effort into finding something for you. That's exactly what you need to solve your clone problem.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 03-28-2010 at 20:20.

???? Never had that happen, you still playing the demo version?
    No, Beskie got me the actual game. :3

I was about seven goals up after the first twenty-five minutes of the match, it was ridiculous. xD

I had a similar idea, which I tried with great success in a Portuguese forum some months ago.

It would be you guys (And me) making squads with a given budget (170.000.000 € in my experiment), with the maximum value of the player being bought (You can't buy a player with a starting value bigger than 17.000.000 €) and buying a manager for the teams.

The team you'd control would be from the league where we'd all be playing in and then I'd post screenies on how the teams were faring.

We'd simply be the presidents of the clubs with the only power to fire managers and hire new ones.

In my experiment, it was all done in the Portuguese Liga, where 13 users of that forum formed squads and hired managers with the given budget and I posted screenshots on the fixtures and gave small updates on curious things on important games (Such as european games and derbies).

The winner was the guy who formed the team for "Rio Ave", whose manager was Silvino Morais (Which is an assistent manager in the game). It was pretty fun. The one who controlled Benfica won the Europa Cup and the guy who controlled Sporting ended up going to the Champions League final and lost to Chelsea.

Obviously, we are much fewer, and provided you guys would be interested, we'd each take control of the lowest English Premiership teams, for instance, and play for two seasons.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    It would be you guys (And me) making squads with a given budget (170.000.000 € in my experiment), with the maximum value of the player being bought (You can't buy a player with a starting value bigger than 17.000.000 €) and buying a manager for the teams.
    So around £150,000,000 then... that's alot of money; I played as Manchester United and had £80,000,000 for transfers and thought that was alot! I assume you edit the funds via the Editor? Kinda like having your own Abramovich buying the club? :P

We'd simply be the presidents of the clubs with the only power to fire managers and hire new ones.
    How does this part work? And do we have an active hand in the matches themselves or is everything left to the [assistant] manager?

Obviously, we are much fewer, and provided you guys would be interested, we'd each take control of the lowest English Premiership teams, for instance, and play for two seasons.
    I'd be interested, certainly, though I won't be all that good!

I guess team-wise, the following should be no-go for certain: Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur. What did you have in mind, though? :3

So around £150,000,000 then... that's alot of money; I played as Manchester United and had £80,000,000 for transfers and thought that was alot! I assume you edit the funds via the Editor? Kinda like having your own Abramovich buying the club? :P

How does this part work? And do we have an active hand in the matches themselves or is everything left to the [assistant] manager?

I'd be interested, certainly, though I won't be all that good!

I guess team-wise, the following should be no-go for certain: Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur. What did you have in mind, though? :3
    You only pretty much make the squad and hire the manager (Might I add, the manager "seems" to be important. All those that spent most of the budget in the team and then hired a nobody to manage their team didn't fare very well, with certain exceptions).

We'd start in the weakest teams of last season (That is, the recently promoted ones then the ones which finished worst last season)

Everything would be left to the Manager you buy, including purchases and whatnot. As counter-measures to prevent your picked team from deserting you for better teams, and to avoid AI Presidents overrulling anything and selling your players, I'll make the players you buy favourite your team and your manager AND I'll edit the Chairman stats in patience and other thingies I can't remember to prevent the board overrule. Further I'll make the Team's Reputation attribute 20. That means your players will (probably) be happy playing for your squad as long as your manager fields them. I would advise you to buy the team for a certain model (4-4-2 for instance) and then hiring a manager whose favourite formation is exactly that one. Otherwise you hire Guardiola (for example), who plays in 4-5-1 and then all your other 4 Strikers get unhappy for not being fielded or being first-team regulars.

Btw, you'd keep your team's squad prior to the buyings as a way of getting some reserves in case your team runs into a huge injury problem. However, most of that team will probably desert as they can't play due to being covered by World Class players.

After the season kicks off, you're pretty much stuck seeing how the team you bought and the manager to run it fare off. You'll also recieve whatever amount of your budget remains. That may mean that if the manager decides the players you bought him aren't good enough, he goes to the market to get them (Or buy youngsters as most managers did in the previous experience.)
    Last edited by Jolt; 03-29-2010 at 00:36.
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

It seems as though I have a more realistic game, for the most part; my team is getting the results I expect each and everytime; I beat Newcastle by a single goal, I drew against Middlesborough. Whereas Beskie seems to be thumping every team regardless of who they are, which is impressive if unrealistic.
    That is not true, your goal difference is like 8 infront of mine and you are top of the league, I lost my very first game, and lost one shortly after, I only picked up league while after a couple of signings like David Gray from Manchester United, Plessis from Liverpool, etc.

The reason I am stating this is because you are giving the impression I am just "thumping everyone" when you got the far more impressive stats by a mile. Only team I only did outstanding against was "Derby" who then sacked their manager and majority of the staff walked out after this. In short, they shot themselves in the foot badly due to the manager.

Edit:

Also, Bristol City are just behind us, in the two simulations I did, I either draw to them or I lose. In short, they are very good. It appears their defense is too much for my strikers, so I will need to adjust for that, it seems.

While you win 1-4 against Barnsley.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-29-2010 at 11:41.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast