Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Football Manager 2010

Default Re: Football Manager 2010

I have recently staerted a game as Man City. My first task was to sell the foreign players (apart from Tevez) and replaced them with young British and Irish players such as Shelvey, Delfonz, Mattock and Fleck. 3 games into the season, won two drawn one and sit in 4th spot. Safely through the second round of the cup. Arsenal up next. I can't wait for the youngsters to develop and gel!

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Flambard I View Post
    I have recently staerted a game as Man City. My first task was to sell the foreign players (apart from Tevez) and replaced them with young British and Irish players such as Shelvey, Delfonz, Mattock and Fleck.
    Wow, that's a pretty brave strategy... so you sold Toure, Adebayor, Kompany and such? I'm not surprised you kept Tevez, you'll need him to carry things while everyone else gets used to your tactics and such.

Mattock's great, by the way; he's only backup to Bale for me at the moment, but when the latter is injured... well, Mattock always plays like he'll never play again. As for Shelvey... sold him for £31m to Man City, so he's a good buy...

I can't wait for the youngsters to develop and gel!
    It takes time, but the results are fantastic when you get to that point; it's the mainstays of the squad that become a pain in the bottom when they start saying they want to move clubs.

Currently, I'm in my third season at West Brom and my two best players are consistently requesting transfers to 'bigger clubs' such as Chelsea; the humourous thing is that West Brom are currently fifteen points clear in the Premier League, in the final of the Carling Cup for the third year in a row, fifth round of the FA Cup and in the knockout stages of the Champion's League... Chelsea are out of all competitions and currently 19th in the league! I just don't get it... -_-'
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    I just don't get it... -_-'
    Teams have a "reputation" stat. Plus the home city. Plus manager reputation. Plus player personality. All four go into the willingness of a player to stick around or request a move. A player with a loyal personality won't request a move, but an "ambitious" player will.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Teams have a "reputation" stat. Plus the home city. Plus manager reputation. Plus player personality. All four go into the willingness of a player to stick around or request a move. A player with a loyal personality won't request a move, but an "ambitious" player will.
    Well, I downloaded the Real-Time Editor to check my stats and see what was wrong with the players; since winning the Premier League and FA Cup last season, West Brom's rep is now 7600-ish, which I believe will increase further if I manage to retain the Premiership and clinch the Champion's League... my own reputation is 'World Class' and the players are apparantly loyal AND ambitious.

Will winning the Champion's League keep them around? Or will I be resigned to sell them? They're both 24-ish, the CB/CDM is worth around £26.5m and the AMC/ST is worth about £36m... both are earning £60,000 p.w, my highest earners. My AMC managed to beat Andy Cole's 1995-set 34 goal record last season (he got 35 goals, ha) and looks set to smash his own record this season (23 league games played so far, 35 goals, only needs one more!), and my CB is the heart of the defensive line.

I could cash in, but I'd rather keep them to be honest. :<
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

This 'journeyman' lark is starting to get tiresome. There aren't that many job opportunities in Europe - I refuse to apply lower than CCC, and I've only got the top divisions loaded for the other European nations. When there is a vacant , it's been filled within hours, before I've even had a chance to e-mail them a CV. And when I do manage to get an application in, they insist on picking terrible managers.

Now, I haven't technically achieved anything in Argentina yet, mid-table obscurity and the one heroic win against River Plate (haven't managed to get a win against Boca, San Lorenzo, Estudiantes or Banfield yet) but with the resources given, I'm not doing too badly. I know a lot of it is decided on this manager reputation stat but...it's frustrating to lose out to a manager with a Tactical Knowledge stat of 1.

I also apply for every international job going. It's probably the best way to raise my profile in Europe but I'm not always able to apply for the jobs, even when they're vacant. I'm told in my news feed/messages that the Jamaica manager has been fired. I go to the team screen and there's no 'apply for job' button in the top-right corner but when I check the staff, there's just an assistant manager and sometimes not even one of those. Guess they'd rather have nobody in control than me

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rather realistic really. Pellegrini/Scolari etc. spent a long time managing at club level in South America before wide-spread fame. Just losing patience and looking for a quick fix. Might move clubs within Argentina. Got offered the Newell's Old Boys job not long ago but they were on the verge of relegation.
    Last edited by Craterus; 05-15-2010 at 21:44.

In terms of keeping players around, generally just keep the asking price very high and when a manager claims interest in a player of yours instead of telling them to keep their hands off, just don't say anything. For some reason it is the comments you make that end up unsettling the player. If a player however does get unsettled, I usually use two methods. Either I just wait it out until he is happy enough to accept a new contract or I transfer list the player for say 100 million and let him be transfer listed for say a month or two. Usually after that time I can take him off the transfer list and he is willing to sign a new contract.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck View Post
    In terms of keeping players around, generally just keep the asking price very high and when a manager claims interest in a player of yours instead of telling them to keep their hands off, just don't say anything. For some reason it is the comments you make that end up unsettling the player. If a player however does get unsettled, I usually use two methods. Either I just wait it out until he is happy enough to accept a new contract or I transfer list the player for say 100 million and let him be transfer listed for say a month or two. Usually after that time I can take him off the transfer list and he is willing to sign a new contract.

This also has the added bonus of not allowing the board to accept a bid without consulting you. Just set the asking prices to 100million and then the board can never accept a bid as being "too good to turn down".
    #Hillary4prism

My AMC has an asking price of £100m and my CB/CDM is £65m; I get the odd team taking a crack at the latter with apparant bids of £50m or so, but nobody actively pursues an interest in them... hopefully they'll both back down.

As for wages, I was trying to follow the Arsene wage structure; I don't want to get to the point where I'm paying a player £250,000 p.w like Eto'o, Ibrahimovic or Messi... I don't have all the sponsorship deals and stuff that the Barcas and Man Utds have. :<

If players want to leave, I generally just let them go. You can usually get an equally capable replacement for half the transfer fee and a third of the wages. This is at the lower level though, mind.
    Admittedly, with a top-tier team, the best players are harder and more expensive to replace. With Fiorentina, I just kept the asking prices high and renewed contracts before they were in their last year. Very occasionally, a team will match your inflated AP and the board might intervene. But you make enough money from the transfer that it's not usually a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty brave strategy... so you sold Toure, Adebayor, Kompany and such? I'm not surprised you kept Tevez, you'll need him to carry things while everyone else gets used to your tactics and such.

Mattock's great, by the way; he's only backup to Bale for me at the moment, but when the latter is injured... well, Mattock always plays like he'll never play again. As for Shelvey... sold him for £31m to Man City, so he's a good buy...

It takes time, but the results are fantastic when you get to that point; it's the mainstays of the squad that become a pain in the bottom when they start saying they want to move clubs.

Currently, I'm in my third season at West Brom and my two best players are consistently requesting transfers to 'bigger clubs' such as Chelsea; the humourous thing is that West Brom are currently fifteen points clear in the Premier League, in the final of the Carling Cup for the third year in a row, fifth round of the FA Cup and in the knockout stages of the Champion's League... Chelsea are out of all competitions and currently 19th in the league! I just don't get it... -_-'
    Yeah, I haven't gotten far into it yet but I really cannot wait for this. The first XI is still more than less made up of the current Man City side - Given, Richards, Bridge, Lescott, SWP, Johnson, Barry, Ireland, Bellamy and Tevez. The full squad then includes Taylor (waiting for Hart to come back) Ryan Taylor (Newc.) Mattock (Brom) Onouha Wilson (Rangers) Curtis Davies (Villa) Fleck (Rangers) Albrighton (Villa) Shelvey Rodwell (Everton) Baxter (Everton and Delfonz (West Ham).

Quite a nice little team I reckon. Currently filling my reserves with scouted players, British and Irish ofc.

#Hillary4prism

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456